Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Cythereal posted:

I dunno, I keep reading stories out of the Middle East conflict about men sexually assaulting other men, usually with dildos or hands. It's just hardly ever direct penis-in-orifice, so no one really thinks about it as rape.

That goes towards the cultural sexual norms thing. Shoving a dildo up another dude's rear end would probably be considered a sexual act in a lot of other places for reasons that are entirely cultural, and whether or not that's OK is a whole different cultural ball of wax.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Cyrano4747 posted:

That goes towards the cultural sexual norms thing. Shoving a dildo up another dude's rear end would probably be considered a sexual act in a lot of other places for reasons that are entirely cultural, and whether or not that's OK is a whole different cultural ball of wax.

Oh, I think it's intrinsically a sexual act, it's just an air of "I didn't put my dick up that prisoner's rear end, I just shoved a baseball bat up there while laughing about it with my friends" not registering as rape, because rape is bad but that's just having fun at a prisoner's expense.

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010

P-Mack posted:

Ahhh, the classic Canadian shovel

Who can blame one for loving a shovel? After all shovels can do almost anything! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b60OZhrTB6o

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

HEY GAIL posted:

this is going to sound gratuitously morbid, but although early modern sources up until candide discuss that rape happened to men and boys too, modern sources don't mention it at all. i've been wondering why: a change in the atrocities themselves, or is there one thing modern male soldiers refuse to even entertain the idea of?

edit: probably only if they expect mistreatment from other soldiers, which is not the case in some places and times

I recall a section from a book about a spy placed in Afghanistan to help the Afghan fighters against the soviets: the group the spy was with captured and raped a Russian soldier.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Cyrano4747 posted:

I would think a lot of it has to do with cultural norms as well. For example, do you see as much male on male sexual violence in the Ukraine as in the Congo? Are there cultural factors at work that make it more or less taboo to rape another man?

edit: this can also, of course, be asked of different times as well. Did something happen in 17th century Europe that all of a sudden made penetrating another man (willing or otherwise) more of a taboo than before?
as you probably know already from the classical rome thread, there's a hierarchy of loving in some societies (like rome or renaissance italy) where powerful adult men are on top and younger men, weaker men, and all women are not. you do to others before they do unto you. or something.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Cythereal posted:

Oh, I think it's intrinsically a sexual act, it's just an air of "I didn't put my dick up that prisoner's rear end, I just shoved a baseball bat up there while laughing about it with my friends" not registering as rape, because rape is bad but that's just having fun at a prisoner's expense.
or they think about it as rape, which is why they're doing it--to humiliate--but the american observers don't, because if you acknowledge that then you might acknowledge that sexual violence is not just a thing that men do to women

Black Leaf
Nov 19, 2016

by Smythe

HEY GAIL posted:

as you probably know already from the classical rome thread, there's a hierarchy of loving in some societies (like rome or renaissance italy) where powerful adult men are on top and younger men, weaker men, and all women are not. you do to others before they do unto you. or something.

also known as a train

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

SkySteak posted:

Who can blame one for loving a shovel? After all shovels can do almost anything! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b60OZhrTB6o

Most important function at 4:40

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

GotLag posted:

Eh, if its Tsingtao is better to leave it be.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Beer is like a tank: any is better than none.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

GotLag posted:

I dunno, the bit right before that about using the shovel as a grappling hook was pretty legit.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
so, i'm reading my way through a collection of letters to soldiers, and this is to a soldier named Michael from his wife/girlfriend named Martha Lise, in Eschwege.

"the knackers have killed the dogs in Eschwege i needed earlier to get a half a dog's head [illegible?] to grant that i remain in your life and also that plunder from the enemy gives you a reward"

This is a form of magic; apparently, like executioners, dog-killers could also work magic (as well as being an outcast group). Half a dog's head! Keep him in your thoughts!

edit: four days later, Martha Lise gave birth to Michael's son, and reported that they were both doing well.

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Jul 12, 2017

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

HEY GAIL posted:

that kurd thing

These women are baller, that is all

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
While looking for a video of the Galil multifunction bottle opener/assault rifle, I found this gem:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BW83gi7DFX8

This is how you actually do it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tD5Y-C8Tlmw

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

HEY GAIL posted:

edit: four days later, Martha Lise gave birth to Michael's son, and reported that they were both doing well.

Proof the magic worked it looks like

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

GotLag posted:

The guy falling in the water at 5:37 and then not getting rescued by the next function or anything is pretty fantastic.

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь
Ten minutes in: dig.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

SkySteak posted:

I have my doubts about using the same shovel you've been digging in the dirt with for chopping up your food.

Wonder how well the edge keeps.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

SlothfulCobra posted:

I have my doubts about using the same shovel you've been digging in the dirt with for chopping up your food.

Wonder how well the edge keeps.

Depends on how many copper pipes you're sawing through

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

HEY GAIL posted:

why are the french ones so loving cool-looking

because they are maximum dandy.

Also, another spelling of shako cool. That is like the 4th variant of the word now.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

GotLag posted:

Beer is like a tank: any is better than none.

Something something lite beers are like light tanks, the analogy holds. :v:

Edit: Bottle opener chat: a lot of automatic pistols make decent bottle openers, with the slide locked back and using the muzzle as the fulcrum and the dust cover on the frame as the jaw. Works best with full-length, flattish dust covers like on Glocks, so the muzzle is on the middle of the bottlecap -- a fullsize 1911 doesn't work quite so well, but I've managed it.

Of course, the best way to open a bottle of bubbly is with a sword:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4G6Zthk23d4

Note how I eventually get annoyed at having the wrong kind of bottle and do it the proper cavalry way.

The next year, with the correct type of bottle, SMLE bayonet, and slowmo (and swapping camera operator and actor):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qP8N7JDP0Rk

Chillbro Baggins fucked around with this message at 12:25 on Jul 13, 2017

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

HEY GAIL posted:

so, i'm reading my way through a collection of letters to soldiers, and this is to a soldier named Michael from his wife/girlfriend named Martha Lise, in Eschwege.

"the knackers have killed the dogs in Eschwege i needed earlier to get a half a dog's head [illegible?] to grant that i remain in your life and also that plunder from the enemy gives you a reward"

This is a form of magic; apparently, like executioners, dog-killers could also work magic (as well as being an outcast group). Half a dog's head! Keep him in your thoughts!

I prefer my black magicians lonesome, sinister and burning charcoal in the woods

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
I am an alcohol worked construction early in life, so I don't see bottle opener or not bottle opener. All I see is alcohol percentage, firmness, and desired angle of impact, and then quickest method of administration.

HEY GAIL posted:

Aw, it's twue vuw! I can't get enough of early modern witchcraft, they had some serious chops.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Tias posted:

Aw, it's twue vuw!
yeah there's an article on this letter collection, for those of you who read german i could email it to someone. a dude got taken prisoner and he happened to have a collection of mail in his satchel for members of tilly's army. if you're a soldier, mail is a thing by 1625.

that letter was also interesting because after martha's contribution, which was in her handwriting, there were some other people speaking but in her handwriting too--she wrote it for the other members of her and michael's group of friends

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 13:59 on Jul 13, 2017

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

bedpan posted:

I recall a section from a book about a spy placed in Afghanistan to help the Afghan fighters against the soviets: the group the spy was with captured and raped a Russian soldier.

By all accounts male-male sexual violence remains endemic in Afghanistan. For example a current Vice President, Abdul Dostum, is in exile in Turkey following allegations he raped a district governor. By the man's account Dostum attempted to penetrate him with his penis but failed to achieve an erection, possibly just because he is a fat old man, and then ordered his subordinates to use a rod.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

HEY GAIL posted:

yeah there's an article on this letter collection, for those of you who read german i could email it to someone. a dude got taken prisoner and he happened to have a collection of mail in his satchel for members of tilly's army. if you're a soldier, mail is a thing by 1625.

that letter was also interesting because after martha's contribution, which was in her handwriting, there were some other people speaking but in her handwriting too--she wrote it for the other members of her and michael's group of friends

email it to me? Throw a PM, I also got something you should see.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
The Return of Japanese Engines Acquisition!

We're dropping the wands for two "companies" that you probably have never heard of. For good reason too, as the next two groups are more "State Arsenals" rather than companies; they are Hiro and Yokosuka, better known as Hiro Naval Arsenal and Yokosuka Naval Air Arsenal.

Hiro would cut its teeth by producing Felixstowe F.5s fitted with 360hp Rolls-Royce Eagle engines in the early 20's. These were eventually re-engined with license-built 450hp Lorraine 12E engines by Hiro, and renamed the Hiro F.1 (I've only ever seen this plane referred to as the Hiro H1H. Oddly, the book then states that the next upgrade caused the plane to be redesignated the H1H. I'm not sure where the F.1, or a mention of F.2, comes from or what it relates to specifically.)

Of note was the upgraded and/or modified imported Lorraine engines were called Hiro-Lorraine engines. After gaining experience with foreign models, Hiro began building their own, starting with the 550hp Type 14, which was similar to the Lorraine but larger. Specifically, the cylinder bore was increased and the strike was extended to 200mm, producing a more powerful and economical engine. This engine, and the next, the 600hp Type 90, would be used for Hiro's next project, the H2H flying boat. While it was a good aircraft, few were built.

This eventually led to Hiro's most popular engine, the Type 91. Two major versions existed, one rated at 500hp and the other rated at 600hp. Wikipedia lists the Type 91 being enlarged and uprated to 600hp and renamed the Type 90, but that is in direct conflict with this book. The page lists Bill Gunston's "World Encyclopedia of Aero Engines" as its source, which I thankfully own a copy, so I'll check to see what THAT book says.

In any case, information is a little hard to come by on the Type 91's 600hp rated variant. Apparently it was called the Type 91-2 and had a supercharger installed. Aircraft fitted with the Type 91 include the Yokosuka (or Kugisho) B3Y, Hiro H4H, Aichi E10 and E11, and Kawanishi E7K.

Interestingly, the Mitsubishi G1M was powered by two Hiro Type 91's. This plane was developed out of a specification for a long-ranged reconnaissance aircraft that could shadow and survey US Navy fleet movements. The G1M would be the first all-metal, twin-engined monoplane with a retractable carriage to be built in Japan.

Oh, and if you ever see something that mentions the Hiro Type 91 Model 22, that should only be for the Aichi E11K. There's no difference between a Type 91-2 and the Model 22, they just decided to give it a model number for reasons :shrug:.

By the time the Joint Designations came into full effect (May 1943), the Type 91 was being phased out, and so never received one.

Finally, Hiro had a couple of projects that saw little to no use. These were the 800hp Type 90 and the 900hp Type 94. The Type 90 was never used, while the Type 94 was paired with the Hiro G2H Land Bomber. The G2H was in direct competition with Mitsubishi's G3M, which outclassed the G2H in most respects. While Hiro was busy working on the G2H, its aero-engine manufacturing capabilities were transferred over to Yokosuka.

Yokosuka

Yokosuka is well known, and had a number of aircraft and projects named after them. Previously, I mentioned the D4Y, and they also built the MXY7-Okha, P1Y Ginga, the R2Y, and the MXY-8, a trainer version of Japan's Me 163. As you can imagine, we'll have some more to talk about for Yokosuka once we get to the Jet engines.

After absorbing Hiro's production capabilities and phasing out the Type 91 and the Type 94, Yokosuka had relatively few conventional projects. They worked on five projects, according to the book.

The Sakae IPR began in 1941, the IPR standing for "Internal Propeller Rocket", based off of the Italian Campini engine. The Japanese apparently purchased an engine, which was shipped to them via Savoia-Marchetti SM.75 sometime in 1942. Little is known about this project.

The Turbo-Compound Sakae seems to be similar to the IPR, although only one incomplete example appears to have been built. Nothing is known regarding the "Turbo-Compound".

The YT-15, started in 1942, appears to have been a large exhaust turbine and a precursor to later jet engine development.

The YE2 was a liquid-cooled W18 engine that was similar to the Hiro Type 94, but was very different internally. Initially rated at 1,600hp output with the YE2A, it received a JD [Ha-73] and had a listed performance of 2,500hp. Whether or not this is true is hard to determine, as it had not reached production by the end of the war, despite the project beginning in 1942.

Lastly, the YE3 was a horizontal X24 cylinder engine running at 2,500 to 3,200 horsepower. It had the JD of [Ha-74] and featured two crankshafts side-by-side because a single one would become overstressed. No aircraft list the YE3 as a powerplant, and it was still being tested when WW2 ended, however it has been theorized that the engine could be used for large bomber projects or transport and flying boat aircraft. The way it was built also allowed the possibility for fuselage installation as seen in the R2Y.

An R2Y

Summary
Despite a good engine in the Type 91, the Navy failed to produce more capable engines with late-war projects that resulted, for the most part, in dead ends.

No ranking is given, but I have attempted to tabulate their score based on numbers provided in the book.

Manufacturer Ranks by # of aero engines produced
3. Gausden/Hitachi - 13,571 units
4. Kawasaki - 10,274 units
5. Ishikawajima - 2,286 units
6. Mansyu - 2,168 units
7. Aichi - 1,783 units
8. Nissan - 1,633 units
9. Hiro/Yokosuka - 483 units*
10. (Tie) Kokusai and Toyota - ~100 units combined

* - There is no official count provided in the summary for Hiro/Yokosuka, the number I reached was by counting all instances of "produced X number of X engine" mentions in the book.

** - There's also no official count provided for Mitsubishi OR Nakajima. Fun!

Jobbo_Fett fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Jul 13, 2017

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Turbo-Compound Sakae

Sounds like a hard-working salaryman's drink to me! :japan:

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Bill Gunston's World Encyclopedia of Aero Engines

Aichi

This aircraft firm built engines from 1927, the main wartime type being named Atsuta after the factory; it was a licensed DB 601. The Ha-70 was a twinned Atsuta 30 rated at a claimed 3,400 hp.

That's all Bill Gunston has to say on Aichi. loving hell...

Hiro

The chief engine made by this aircraft firm was the Type 91, a water-cooled W-12 derived from the Napier lion, rated at 620-750hp. It was in production in the first half of the 1930s.

The Type 91 was actually derived from a French "Courlis" engine.

That's all Bill Gunston has to say on Hiro.

Yokosuka doesn't even exist, according to this edition :(

I am using his 1986 edition as a reference. Maybe one day I'll get my hands on his 2006 edition, with 90 more pages.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
https://twitter.com/abc13houston/status/884804613689544704

One step closer to open carry pikes!

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

That sword looks so happy to get some fresh air soon. :3:

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice
I've been reading :Nam: The Vietnam War in the Words of the Men and Women Who Fought There : by Mark Baker. There are multiple references to Soldiers making "ear necklaces" along with other mutilations of Vietnamese personnel. It seems like the "ear necklace" comes up multiple times in various stories and movies and I have to wonder how widespread it actually was. Was it something that was common during the war, or was it like a meme for the war. That Americans serving there heard rumors about it and when they got home swore that it was totally something that they saw happen?

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
Well, skull collecting was a real thing for WW2 which would be about a generation ago at that point.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

I'm reading the book History Lessons and they just got to the causes for World War 1. Reading the German interpretation reminded me of the post that I believe was in this thread about World War 1 described as a bar fight. Does anybody have that handy?

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

wdarkk posted:

Well, skull collecting was a real thing for WW2 which would be about a generation ago at that point.

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

wdarkk posted:

Guess that's just the thing to do in Vietnam them? What I'm looking for is discussion on how rumors propagate during wars. Or if it just became the thing to do.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

That is a well macerated skull.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

limp_cheese posted:

I'm reading the book History Lessons and they just got to the causes for World War 1. Reading the German interpretation reminded me of the post that I believe was in this thread about World War 1 described as a bar fight. Does anybody have that handy?

http://imgur.com/Z2lzUO4

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Really surprised this isn't german

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

That's the one. Thank you.

Anybody who hasn't read that should.