Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Where do I put my Sega tapes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

Geemer posted:

You put floppies in your floppy drive. You put tapes in your tape drive. You put CD Laserdiscs in your Laserdisc drive. :eng101:
You put USB cards web keys in your web key USB drive. :eng99:

This made me laugh out loud. Not a LOL heh, but a literal laugh. I am not sure why.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Data Graham posted:

Where do I put my Sega tapes?

In the trash.

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.

Geemer posted:

You put floppies in your floppy drive. You put tapes in your tape drive. You put CD Laserdiscs in your Laserdisc drive. :eng101:
See, this makes me think it was deliberate.

"My son told me to be very careful about what info I give out, and to not plug strange USB devices into my machine. But this is a web key, and it kind of looks like my keys, so that must be different!"

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

The Macaroni posted:

See, this makes me think it was deliberate.

"My son told me to be very careful about what info I give out, and to not plug strange USB devices into my machine. But this is a web key, and it kind of looks like my keys, so that must be different!"
It very likely sends keypresses to your OS to open a browser at a website, which is probably why they're calling it a "web key".

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?
Man this office is on the brink of mutiny, an emergency came in I have to deal with; we're hiring something like 5 more people and there is literally no more space in the office, we've already used beyond every scrap of room.

The plan is to boot two people out since they were going to pilot home working, and there's gonna be a shuffle which will piss people off further because noise levels are through the roof and some certain people mixed in is going to make it worse. I suggested we rent some temp office space or cannibalize the manager/conference offices because this is impossible but of course that was shot down, I did say it was a crap shoot anyway since my suppliers can't get any HP mini pc's (I really don't want to shift the standard) for weeks as there's none in the country but did save the day as there's a few of one model which I grabbed a bunch of (They won't have SSD's but whatever).

I'm not even stressed, everyone else is losing their poo poo over this and I'm the donkey that's going to have to move everyone around... but it's such a ridiculous situation its funny, our office lease runs out in October and no-one's telling me anything that I can make office move preparations for.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
Ticket time!
Guy changed his password. Then got locked out because he failed at typing too many times. I unlocked his account. Locked again. Changed his password. Locked again.
He starts getting irate with me on the phone. In a very calm voice I say, "Sir, it's going to be okay. We're gonna get through this together."
Meanwhile I'm thinking, "MOTHERFUCKER IF YOU CAN'T TYPE YOUR PASSWORD THEN I CAN'T loving HELP YOU!"

Then it came to me. I asked if there was anyone else around that I could test with. "You know, to make sure that it's not your computer."
He calls some secretary/assistant/whatever in, gives her the phone, I tell her to type in his username and password. Boom! Logged in just fine.

I whisper to her softly and deliberately, "he's your problem now, hon. Godspeed" ...and hangup.
I didn't even wait for him to figure out that she logged in with his creds. I'll let them hash that out.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Ticket time!
Guy changed his password. Then got locked out because he failed at typing too many times. I unlocked his account. Locked again. Changed his password. Locked again.
He starts getting irate with me on the phone. In a very calm voice I say, "Sir, it's going to be okay. We're gonna get through this together."
Meanwhile I'm thinking, "MOTHERFUCKER IF YOU CAN'T TYPE YOUR PASSWORD THEN I CAN'T loving HELP YOU!"

Then it came to me. I asked if there was anyone else around that I could test with. "You know, to make sure that it's not your computer."
He calls some secretary/assistant/whatever in, gives her the phone, I tell her to type in his username and password. Boom! Logged in just fine.

I whisper to her softly and deliberately, "he's your problem now, hon. Godspeed" ...and hangup.
I didn't even wait for him to figure out that she logged in with his creds. I'll let them hash that out.

How high up on the totem pole is this guy? This is important info.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

iospace posted:

How high up on the totem pole is this guy? This is important info.

Deputy Director of another organization that happens to need access to our ERP system.
He's important, but he can go gently caress himself.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Super Slash posted:

Man this office is on the brink of mutiny, an emergency came in I have to deal with; we're hiring something like 5 more people and there is literally no more space in the office, we've already used beyond every scrap of room.

The plan is to boot two people out since they were going to pilot home working, and there's gonna be a shuffle which will piss people off further because noise levels are through the roof and some certain people mixed in is going to make it worse. I suggested we rent some temp office space or cannibalize the manager/conference offices because this is impossible but of course that was shot down, I did say it was a crap shoot anyway since my suppliers can't get any HP mini pc's (I really don't want to shift the standard) for weeks as there's none in the country but did save the day as there's a few of one model which I grabbed a bunch of (They won't have SSD's but whatever).

I'm not even stressed, everyone else is losing their poo poo over this and I'm the donkey that's going to have to move everyone around... but it's such a ridiculous situation its funny, our office lease runs out in October and no-one's telling me anything that I can make office move preparations for.

Had a client a while back who moved office without saying a word, just picked up their laptops and moved. Phoned up on the first day after the move asking how they should connect to the Internet.

I think they were running off mobile hotspots for six weeks. They also left their old phone system in the previous office to be thrown out, so they weren't contactable by phone at all unless you knew their personal mobile numbers.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Deputy Director of another organization that happens to need access to our ERP system.
He's important, but he can go gently caress himself.

if there isn't a law/idiom/whatever that says "The higher someone is in a company, the less they understand about tech", there should be. Something to that effect.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
*screenshot of a certificate error in chrome*

Hey one of our customers is getting this error, do you know what the deal is?

Thanks,
web dev

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Super Slash posted:

since my suppliers can't get any HP mini pc's (I really don't want to shift the standard) for weeks as there's none in the country but did save the day as there's a few of one model which I grabbed a bunch of (They won't have SSD's but whatever).

What, what? I just got 4 HP Elitedesk 800 G3 units and heard nothing about shortages. Wait, maybe you're not in the US.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

anthonypants posted:

It very likely sends keypresses to your OS to open a browser at a website, which is probably why they're calling it a "web key".

I searched "web key" to see if this was actually a thing and how it opens the browser without knowing which browser the user's using and

quote:

Each USB Webkey contains a small program file that activates when the user inserts the key into the computer’s USB port. The data file contains routing information for the Uniform Resource Locator address of the website that the device promotes. The device works in the same way that clicking a hyperlink in a word processing document or email message will automatically launch your Web browser and open the linked Web page. The Webkey can also include a data file with a website tracking script to provide statistics on the number of people who visit the website with the key.

I... see.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

autorun.inf
code:
open=iexplore.exe http://forums.somethingawful.com

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

anthonypants posted:

Thanks,
web dev

I hate this.

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?

anthonypants posted:

Thanks,
web dev

Users call our desk all the drat time to report problems with vendor sites. I know it's a hospital and everything is the most all the time ever but could you at least try calling their site support team? Maybe one time out of ten the problem is on our end, and if it is, well, switch browsers.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

So anyone have an inside at Rackspace as to what went wrong during the maintenance last night?

http://status.apps.rackspace.com/index/viewincidents?group=100

Because all these calls about email being down I am tempted to forward to their support line directly. Very tempted.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

I like how their delivery delays have gone up every update that's been posted because their server(s) are getting crushed under the weight of ever increasing outbound mail queue.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

The Muffinlord posted:

Users call our desk all the drat time to report problems with vendor sites. I know it's a hospital and everything is the most all the time ever but could you at least try calling their site support team? Maybe one time out of ten the problem is on our end, and if it is, well, switch browsers.
I asked webdev to ask the customer to try a different browser, what server in the cluster they were hitting, and what certificate they were getting. Then my boss got back from his smoke break, checked his email, called me into his office, and got on a three-way conference call with the webdev so I could tell them how to set up their hosts file to point to that specific server, and also how to view a certificate in Chrome.

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?

GreenNight posted:

What, what? I just got 4 HP Elitedesk 800 G3 units and heard nothing about shortages. Wait, maybe you're not in the US.

Not in the US and there's no way in hell they'd spring the dosh for Elitedesks, I was on the verge of saying screw it just get me some SFF towers instead (which would suck because mini's are the bees knees) but my supplier managed to find some i5 / 500gb hdd models which I snapped up.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Super Slash posted:

We had a move that was basically dumped on me and the HR person like two months before it was supposed to happen. They planned the move without the construction being complete, but it was totally going to be done the week before the move.

Only it wasn't, we ended up telling attorneys to work from home for a couple of weeks, and the legal assistants ended up in a plastic-covered file room as they were still painting and carpeting. The only upside was I found a great moving company.

Chickenwalker
Apr 21, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Thanatosian posted:

We had a move that was basically dumped on me and the HR person like two months before it was supposed to happen. They planned the move without the construction being complete, but it was totally going to be done the week before the move.

Only it wasn't, we ended up telling attorneys to work from home for a couple of weeks, and the legal assistants ended up in a plastic-covered file room as they were still painting and carpeting. The only upside was I found a great moving company.

I had this same poo poo sprung on me the week of Christmas. Didn't even have architects drawings, no discussions on how rooms would be laid out, nothing. It amazes me still.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

vOv posted:

I searched "web key" to see if this was actually a thing and how it opens the browser without knowing which browser the user's using and

I... see.

So it's an expensive URL shortener with the benefits of creating plastic and electronics waste?

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

User called our HD because she couldn't find an email in her sent folder. Why might she need to find an email in there? Well because she wants to print it so there's a record OBVIOUSLY.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Super Slash posted:

oh man I just noticed this. My goondolences.

At my last job IT somehow became responsible for conducting constant office shuffles. Every aspect of it including having to build and teardown loving cubicles and truck people's personal items to their new desk.
Shortly before I quit I basically told my boss that if we get requested to do one more office move, that he should tell them to go gently caress themselves.
Otherwise, It'll be a real shame if the phone server goes down while we're toting boxes of other people's poo poo between floors.
Sure enough, boss came in with his tail between his legs with CEO and like 6 other managers / C-levels. I said "WELL OKAY. IF THAT'S WHAT YOU WANT. It's your money."
code:
sudo shutdown -h +30
And went home "to get my cubicle building tools."
The next day while everyone was yelling at my boss, I went to the call center manager and said, "dude, here's the deal. You take everyone off the phones for like an hour and we get this done, or we could have a repeat of yesterday. Your choice."
Twenty minutes later, everyones boxed up possessions are in a giant pile on the floor in the new office, but the computers and phones and everything IT-related are in the right spots and most of them are even hooked up already.
Perfect.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I get the sentiment, but I'm not sure I'd wilfully down a necessary system to make a point.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

A large international company recently moved out of our building and the building managers decided to take advantage of the vacancy to get the building up to green code, presumably so they could charge the new tenants more.

My boss just let me know that he's got a meeting in 30 minutes with the building management, and this time it's not about them wanting to cut all power to the building and therefore our central servers for six offices for two days while some wiring work is done. They are apparently wanting to move our entire office down a level so that they can redo the ceiling tiles. Of course they're trying to fit this into their schedule for work which has resulted in the only working bathrooms for our 200+ staff being on the ground floor and there being only one available elevator for the past month, so who knows how that poo poo's going to work and whether our milquetoast office manager will get them to pay to reinstall our wifi units, ceiling mics and speakers, and VR set up.

I've - only half-jokingly - said that if it's the case I'll just work from home.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Ghostlight posted:

the only working bathrooms for our 200+ staff being on the ground floor and there being only one available elevator for the past month, so who knows how that poo poo's going to work

"like a clown car on a road trip, 2 hours out from the Taco Bell and 3 hours from the next rest stop" is my guess

if you're not working from home you might want to offset the usual coffee/lunch breaks

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

Thanks Ants posted:

I get the sentiment, but I'm not sure I'd wilfully down a necessary system to make a point.

I let our Jenkins crash randomly out of spite even when I get alerts some days. Just kidding it doesn't have alerting.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Thanks Ants posted:

Some people just don't want to watch the world burn...

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Thanks Ants posted:

I did exactly that in a drill when I was in the Navy.

We we're doing some sort of firefighting drill and I was stationed in the radio room. Ventilation gets reduced for obvious reasons when there's a fire, but usually it doesn't get too hot too quickly in the radio room.

This time, ventilation got cut a lot more than it was supposed to, or maybe it was some other issue, but it started getting a lot hotter than normal.

We radioed up requests for ventilation, reporting the temperature and that it was getting hotter. After an hour of nobody getting back to us after repeated requests, I found the temperature tolerances for some of our major pieces of equipment. When the temperature reached that magic 123° F, it was outside the safe operating range.

With the permission of the Communications officer, we began shutting down gear, and calling in "Actual Casualty, Actual Casualty, loss of HF Radio Suite. Actual Casualty, Actual Casualty, loss of SHF Radio Suite. Actual Casualty, Actual Casualty, Loss of EHF Radio Suite" and so on.

The air got turned back on in a hurry.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

anthonypants posted:

Thanks,
web dev

"Yes, the deal is you got a completion certificate from a lovely boot camp and somehow convinced someone at this company you knew anything and got a job. Try performing a basic google search."

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

Geemer posted:

So where do I put my film vinyl?

BallerBallerDillz
Jun 11, 2009

Cock, Rules, Everything, Around, Me
Scratchmo

The Fool posted:

autorun.inf
code:
open=iexplore.exe [url]http://forums.somethingawful.com[/url]

Please don't post malware code, who knows what people here might do with it.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Che Delilas posted:

"Yes, the deal is you got a completion certificate from a lovely boot camp and somehow convinced someone at this company you knew anything and got a job. Try performing a basic google search."

Somebody in the helpdesk at a massive law firm once told me that in order to get the certificate one of their people needed for a Citrix connection, I just needed to google it.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Zil posted:

So anyone have an inside at Rackspace as to what went wrong during the maintenance last night?

http://status.apps.rackspace.com/index/viewincidents?group=100

Because all these calls about email being down I am tempted to forward to their support line directly. Very tempted.

Follow up, shits still broke. People still pissed. My liver will suffer this weekend.

http://status.apps.rackspace.com/in...dents?group=100

Zil fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Jul 17, 2017

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Thanks Ants posted:

I had already decided I was taking a job elsewhere. Besides, this place was such a mickey mouse shitshow.
If anything we actually got a better server out of it. That poor DL580 g4 had been on it's last legs for about a year and was constantly locking up and crashing.

Edit:

Yes, that's a harddrive on it's side holding up the front of a dell 2800. That bitch was our NAS. Also, it didn't have quick swappable drives. You had to take the whole thing out of the rack and take the side off to get to the HDDs. Oh, and to get it out of the rack you had to stand it up which meant removing the battery backup and 2850 above it.

I don't know exactly whose bright idea that was. I still can't loving fathom why though.

GnarlyCharlie4u fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Jul 14, 2017

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
Those ancient burgundy HP hard drive releases are triggering me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Anyone want this? Free but you got to come get it.

• Locked thread