Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

AndrewP posted:

I hope there's some training modules included eventually. I know there's a little side room to practice in but I'm talking more like the Robo Recall gun range where you can practice the release and really get comfortable with how to throw the disc.

Yeah. I think we've all been spamming the devs in the discord with requests for something like that :p

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Knifegrab posted:

My deluxe audio strap should arrive today so I am pretty excited for that. Might do a full write up on it if anyone gives a poo poo.

I'd give a poo poo you loving shill

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.

KakerMix posted:

I'd give a poo poo you loving shill

Vive gave us the privilege to spend more than 2x more than an oculus for built in headphones and better fitting headstrap!

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

Seems like a pretty accurate sim since, as far as I can tell, you can only be a white dude.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

TescoBag posted:

Anyone know where you can get the vive audio strap in the UK?

I may end up with an extra strap. I'd be happy to let you have it at cost (plus shipping, I spent all my money on dumb VR stuff) if you can't find it for some reason.

Knifegrab posted:

My deluxe audio strap should arrive today so I am pretty excited for that. Might do a full write up on it if anyone gives a poo poo.

I was thinking of doing something similar. I'm pretty interested to see if any revisions were made for this run of the strap vs the first one. Best guess is they got rid of that layer of production foam or whatever that flaked off and freaked everyone out for a bit. Does anyone have any requests or particulars they'd want to see?

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

:swoon:

Medium update with multiplayer!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L3q_1Zoivms

EDIT: Wow, a lot of great stuff in this update like support for setting manipulators for objects and layers in the scene (precise transforming and snapping),eye dropper for selecting colours from reference photos, and importing 3d models as references instead of just photos.

Tom Guycot fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Jul 13, 2017

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

I got my headstrap and it good. It expensive. Combined with the face-foam-offset-from-nose mod I'm slightly closer to leaving this world behind.

TheWaveVR Grimecraft show was incredible - medium-large-scale VR social events are a killer app. I had to fight my gf for the headset.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Knifegrab posted:

Mine's coming today as well and I just hope they fixed that problem with the foam getting gunky.

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm
Want to try Echo Arena, but I haven't been able to get Revive working. I just get an error pop-up and that's it. (Tried a few other Oculus apps too, they didn't work either.) I had a DK2 that I uninstalled right before I setup the Vive. Tried reinstalling the Oculus software and Revive a second time, this time cleaning out lingering registry entries beforehand, still not working.

Any advice or do I just not get to try this (apparently) awesome game?

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

metasynthetic posted:

Want to try Echo Arena, but I haven't been able to get Revive working. I just get an error pop-up and that's it. (Tried a few other Oculus apps too, they didn't work either.) I had a DK2 that I uninstalled right before I setup the Vive. Tried reinstalling the Oculus software and Revive a second time, this time cleaning out lingering registry entries beforehand, still not working.

Any advice or do I just not get to try this (apparently) awesome game?

Try asking in the revive channel in the EA discord https://discord.gg/3BTHHjz

Also they announced the pricing for EA:

https://forums.oculus.com/community/discussion/54693/lone-echo-and-echo-arena-pricing-and-app-information/

quote:

Echo Arena: $19.99 USD / First 3 Months: FREE
If you have an Oculus account, Echo Arena will be available for you to play once you add it to your Oculus library.
Thanks to a sponsorship by Intel, Echo Arena will be completely free for all Oculus account holders to permanently add to their Oculus library for the first 3 months after launch (so make sure to get it during this time)! After those 3 months are up, it will cost $19.99 to add to your Oculus library. If you’ve already added Echo Arena to your Oculus library, you will not need to purchase it; you already own it!
- The exact date that this ends will be shared closer to the end of the 3-month sponsorship period.
Echo Arena does not include access to Lone Echo; you will need to purchase Lone Echo separately.

So it sounds like what everyone was hoping for, if you add it to your Oculus library, you have it forever, so it's not going to be tied to hardware in any way so Revive users will be able to get it for free permanently as well.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
has anyone gone live yet in facebook vr? It's so very tempting.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Holy poo poo, I actually fixed my Oculus problems. Turns out f.lux is what was screwing up everything.

I just got back in and it is rock solid. Echo Arena feels even more amazing than before. Yessssss.

Thanks for everyone's help earlier by the way.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

AndrewP posted:

Holy poo poo, I actually fixed my Oculus problems. Turns out f.lux is what was screwing up everything.

I just got back in and it is rock solid. Echo Arena feels even more amazing than before. Yessssss.

Thanks for everyone's help earlier by the way.

Ahaha, yes, I had that problem once too. I am guessing you had f.lux set to do the transition over 1 hour instead of 20 seconds. When that happens, it constantly changes the color temperature every couple seconds and causes stutters. I had switched f.lux back to the quick 20s change when I had first obtained my VR headset, which was a long time ago. Good catch.

EDIT: Win 10 also has built-in "night light" mode. Just search for "night" in the control panel.

Nalin fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Jul 14, 2017

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Nalin posted:

Ahaha, yes, I had that problem once too. I am guessing you had f.lux set to do the transition over 1 hour instead of 20 seconds. When that happens, it constantly changes the color temperature every couple seconds and causes stutters. I had switched f.lux back to the quick 20s change when I had first obtained my VR headset, which was a long time ago. Good catch.

Actually just having the process running at all was causing stutters for me. Pre-transition, post-transition... once I actually went down and killed the program it all went away.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Lemming posted:

Also they announced the pricing for EA:

https://forums.oculus.com/community/discussion/54693/lone-echo-and-echo-arena-pricing-and-app-information/

So it sounds like what everyone was hoping for, if you add it to your Oculus library, you have it forever, so it's not going to be tied to hardware in any way so Revive users will be able to get it for free permanently as well.

Thats awesome! I had hopped they would make it free for any and all, not just oculus hardware owners, but its good to know they're really really looking out for the multiplayer health of their game.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

The deluxe audio strap does indeed make the Vive much comfier and convenient to put on and wear. I actually wanna try watching movies and stuff in it now. Are there any decent theater apps available like there are for Gear VR?

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Republicans posted:

The deluxe audio strap does indeed make the Vive much comfier and convenient to put on and wear. I actually wanna try watching movies and stuff in it now. Are there any decent theater apps available like there are for Gear VR?
Just load up VLC in either Bigscreen or Virtual Desktop, they both have nice theater environments.

Alpha Phoenix
Feb 26, 2007

That is a peckin' lot of bird...
:kazooieass::kazooieass::kazooieass:

At some point someone recommended Twisted Arrow.

Just wanted to report that the game is fun for an archery sim. Much more so than quivr.

..btt
Mar 26, 2008

Republicans posted:

I use whirligig. Also supports stereoscopic 3D video. The UI is a bit difficult to get used to, but it'll play pretty much anything.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Nalin posted:

EDIT: Win 10 also has built-in "night light" mode. Just search for "night" in the control panel.

Oh poo poo, you know, I have f.lux and should probably turn it off in VR....

I just searched though and I have windows 10 and there's no night light mode at all. So maybe its just a certain update or pro version or something?

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Of interest to folks using revive, especially for a game like echo arena, theres a branch just released of revive that will swap the trigger and the grip button so you can use your trigger to grab everything, and the grip button for punching. Apparently it only takes effect when revive grip is set to 'normal' in open vr advanced setting, otherwise it behaves as the correct triggers. https://github.com/GiantSox/Revive/releases/tag/1.1.8-TriggerGrip2

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

F.lux, 2nd monitors, Gigabyte XTREME GAMING ENGINE and the latest Nvidia drivers (went back a few releases) all have caused intermittent judders in SteamVR for me. Best to just have nothing at all running in the background.

All my revive games still feel a little 'drunk', like there is too much headwobble. Perfectly fine when standing still but move your head and it's very clear you're not in Viveport anymore. Playable but slightly annoying.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Did anyone here ever end up getting/reviewing their rEvolve headstrap? The new one from HTC is nice but still not quite welder's helmet enough for me to say it's the best.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

DaveKap posted:

Did anyone here ever end up getting/reviewing their rEvolve headstrap? The new one from HTC is nice but still not quite welder's helmet enough for me to say it's the best.

Last update I read said the first few backers had minor issues with mounting, so they fixed it and shipped it again and it's supposedly now fixed but also delayed a few more weeks or something.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Chadzok posted:

F.lux, 2nd monitors, Gigabyte XTREME GAMING ENGINE and the latest Nvidia drivers (went back a few releases) all have caused intermittent judders in SteamVR for me. Best to just have nothing at all running in the background.

All my revive games still feel a little 'drunk', like there is too much headwobble. Perfectly fine when standing still but move your head and it's very clear you're not in Viveport anymore. Playable but slightly annoying.

have you played around with the reprojection settings? different things work well for different games. the climb needs to be interleaved only/always on.

turning off async might help.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Chadzok posted:

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but do you have the latest version of revive? Its constantly getting updates that improve its support.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Zaphod42 posted:

I just searched though and I have windows 10 and there's no night light mode at all. So maybe its just a certain update or pro version or something?

I think it's a new addition in the "Creators Update" from April.

It's in the display settings:

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Zaphod42 posted:

It is part of the Windows 10 Creators Update. WinKey+R, type winver and press Enter. Windows 10 Creators is version 1703.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
After the Oculus Rift+Touch combo sale is over, the price is going to jump up to $500 instead of $600. The new permanent price will be $500 and everything will come together in a single box. I don't know if you will be able to buy a Rift without the Touch controllers anymore. Also, the Xbox One controller will be absent from the bundle.

https://techcrunch.com/2017/07/14/oculus-rift-and-touch-receive-yet-another-price-cut-now-just-499/

Warbird
May 23, 2012

The Deluxe Audio Headstrap is cool and good and really should be a default part of the Vive. Getting it on and off that much easier is amazing, but the real gamechangers are the redistribution of the weight and just having the sound there from the start. It brings the comfort of the HMD in line with the Oculus, but at quite a bit more cost of course. I'm very interested in seeing how the knuckle controllers fare, but by that point you're looking at about a grand to get to where the Rift is now at a substantially lower cost.

I'm still super down with the Vive platform, but USB logistics and "fun" aside, I don't see any reason to tell anyone to go Vive over Rift.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Nalin posted:

After the Oculus Rift+Touch combo sale is over, the price is going to jump up to $500 instead of $600. The new permanent price will be $500 and everything will come together in a single box. I don't know if you will be able to buy a Rift without the Touch controllers anymore. Also, the Xbox One controller will be absent from the bundle.

https://techcrunch.com/2017/07/14/oculus-rift-and-touch-receive-yet-another-price-cut-now-just-499/

That all makes perfect sense and is great to see.

iceaim
May 20, 2001

Knifegrab posted:

I give a poo poo. Please comment about your experience.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

wolrah posted:

I think it's a new addition in the "Creators Update" from April.

It's in the display settings:

More conveniently, it's also a button in the action center (where notifications show up, or hit Win+A).

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

iceaim posted:

I give a poo poo. Please comment about your experience.

Specifically on how attached it feels during play and how easy/hard the install process of it is, we already know it's great at everything else.

ten_twentyfour
Jan 24, 2008

I got mine yesterday and installed it. It's more work to take off the old strap than it is to install the new one. New one just snaps on. It really is a game changer and should come standard with the Vive. I have a pretty big head so the original strap basically rested at the top back of my head more or less only held on by hair friction. This one totally engulfs my massive cranium and feels really nice and comforting. The "length" of the strap is controlled by a turn-knob which makes it really easy to just pop on top of your head then twist for optimal tightness. I also have a VRCover and together it feels like a nice soft cloud wrapped around my head. Also the cable management for the 3-cable is really nice and doesn't touch your head anywhere so you don't ever really feel the cable moving around up there. For me one of the biggest things is how now I can just grab the DAS and put it on my head. No more fidgeting with the three elastic straps untangling stuff. Just pick it up by the solid strap and plop it on. It also balances the weight of the HMD better so I can actually set it down level and not have it just roll over vertical.

Definitely worth $100.

Nosthula
Mar 23, 2009

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Specifically on how attached it feels during play and how easy/hard the install process of it is, we already know it's great at everything else.

I just got mine in yesterday and the install process only took me about 5 minutes and was easy. I only played for about an hour wearing the headset but it was much more comfortable and distributes the weight of the headset much better. Because of the new gnob adjustment system (think bicycle helmet) for tightening and loosening the headset you can get it very snug on your head. I also have a rift and I would say they are very comparable in feel now. If you are a vive owner I would not hesitate to get one.

Nosthula fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Jul 14, 2017

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

If Oculus ever released a PSVR head strap device, insta-purchase.

In other news, pubbies in Onward seem to be going from "cool helpful VR enthusiasts" to "normal pubbie trash". Fun while it lasted.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Nosthula posted:

I just got mine in yesterday and the install process only took me about 5 minutes and was easy. I only played for about an hour wearing the headset but it was much more comfortable and distributes the weight of the headset much better. Because of the new gnob adjustment system (think bicycle helmet) for tightening and loosening the headset you can get it very snug on your head. I also have a rift and I would say they are very comparable in feel now. If you are a vive owner I would not hesitate to get one.

I would hesitate.

they're out of stock in the UK

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

AndrewP posted:

If Oculus ever released a PSVR head strap device, insta-purchase.

In other news, pubbies in Onward seem to be going from "cool helpful VR enthusiasts" to "normal pubbie trash". Fun while it lasted.

I've always found online gaming communities interesting. Did it just get a big influx?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warbird
May 23, 2012

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

It actually feels wrong at first due to how light it feels from before. It's way easier to get immersed since you're not really aware of the constant weight on your face. Going off of descriptions of the knuckles and how light/comfortable they are, it'll be like a new system.