Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drakhoran
Oct 21, 2012

Yeah, this shop gives the cards "Vekt m/emballasje" (weight including packaging) as 2.3 Kg, which is just over 5 pounds. I suspect an error on Amazon's part.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003
I'll never catch "the gay"!

DrDork posted:

5 extra pounds compared to a 1080Ti, though? And that's assuming that both cards actually weigh in at ~2.5lbs and the 5lbs 1080Ti weight is the shipping weight.

Does it come with a complimentary brick to smash your face in with when you realize you just spent $1500 on a $450 card?

There are plenty of things to knock about Vega's launch thus far but flailing about over what probably amounts to an amazon error is hilarious.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
How will AMD ever recover :ohdear:

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
by cutting their gpu dept loose and profiting on their excellent cpu dept

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Is it actually good for compute, for the money or no?

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

Is it actually good for compute, for the money or no?

For the very small market that wants to do lots of compute but doesn't need certified drivers, it's not terrible. The lack of an established ecosystem is gonna hurt it, and non-certified drivers aren't going to make that an easier pill to swallow.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Here's your 10 lb video card.

It's not that big a deal.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)
clearly you dont understand the significance of fps/lb

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Fauxtool posted:

i mean, the gpu department has released a whole lot more competitive products than the cpu division has the last 6 years. and keller already bailed from the cpu division so.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
^^^
seriously answering in a thread just dripping with sarcasm.

AMD is fine. Nvidia is fine. We just love overreacting and hyperbole

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

i kinda knew it was a joke but i see so many people posting that stuff seriously on other bad sites that i wanted to write it anyway

love that spicy news, but lord places like wccftech are killing me

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Fauxtool posted:

^^^
seriously answering in a thread just dripping with sarcasm.

AMD is fine. Nvidia is fine. We just love overreacting and hyperbole

Clutching our pearls at 4k60 Ultra all day errday

Fruit Chewy
Feb 13, 2012
join whole squid
seems like there's some spicy implications of the water vega FE BIOS referring to it as "Vega10 A1 XTX"

the RX vega XTX is already in hands and the RX part is just a driver update, wake up sheeple

eames
May 9, 2009

Fauxtool posted:

imagine posting that 4 years ago :psyduck:

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!
Actually the most telling thing is that it's an A1 stepping. It's part of the first series of Vega, before any theoretical revisions. If AMD did respin Vega at all it might mean hardware is really broke on Vega FE and it's definitely not indicative of final performance. Basically, AMD is trying to recoup cost from like, the first 10k of these things GloFo sent them, and they'll either end up as cutdown consumer or pro products, or as Vega FE.

But it's kind of much to read into a single instance.

Fruit Chewy
Feb 13, 2012
join whole squid
can you imagine the fallout when it came out that they (theoretically) sold a known-inferior product at crazy inflated halo pricing

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!

Fruit Chewy posted:

can you imagine the fallout when it came out that they (theoretically) sold a known-inferior product at crazy inflated halo pricing

I can't tell if you're being serious right now.

Fruit Chewy
Feb 13, 2012
join whole squid

FaustianQ posted:

I can't tell if you're being serious right now.

a little as possible

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
people still havent gotten over FE price gouging but this time its with AMD

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Nvidia: $100 more with a really good blower cooler and maybe even better binned chip

AMD: hold my beer

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
The 1080 does with 160w what the vega does with 400

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Except heat your office.

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.
https://twitter.com/ryanshrout/status/885928175770927107
lol

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
....Alright, Gigabyte. Color me.... *interested*.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125990

The only thing stopping me from exploring any further is that my current lappie doesn't *have* a Thunderbolt port.

Oh, and the RGB, jesus christ, that poo poo can gently caress right off.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!
I haven't been impressed with what I have seen from external GPU enclosures, big performance hits and huge frame time variance.

https://www.pcper.com/reviews/Graphics-Cards/External-Graphics-over-Thunderbolt-3-using-AKiTiO-Node

Hopefully the Gigabyte one can do better.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

MaxxBot posted:

I haven't been impressed with what I have seen from external GPU enclosures, big performance hits and huge frame time variance.

https://www.pcper.com/reviews/Graphics-Cards/External-Graphics-over-Thunderbolt-3-using-AKiTiO-Node

Hopefully the Gigabyte one can do better.

That's because they're feeding it back to the internal display. PCIe 3.0x4 speed isn't bad... for just the graphics card by itself. But when you're pushing a raw 1080p stream back to the laptop over the same channel then yeah, everything goes to poo poo.

To make that work, we really need at least 4.0x4 speeds and probably also the "visually lossless" Display Stream Compression in the newer DisplayPort standards.

If you figure the 1070 at $350 then that's a $250 enclosure. Not terrible. I think the market-relevant price point for a barebones enclosure (no GPU included) is $200, so it's getting there. I want to see some passive enclosures with heatsink bodies, too.

Reminder: there are ExpressCard/M.2 adapters that you can get cheaply from China. $200 is a bit much for a toy but $30 for the base itself isn't bad if you have a spare GPU floating around. The only problem is that ExpressCard is either 1.1x1 or 2.0x1 speed, so you will see more bottlenecking on these at lower resolutions.

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
I have a pre-order in for the Gaming Box and I'll be using it with a Skull Canyon NUC and a yet to be purchased ultrabook. I had considered going with one of the other enclosures (have a spare 980 that I could use, but instead will flip now). There's a lot that it gets right from the jump:

1. For only $100 more than the Razor Core, it comes with a GPU. $500 for an enclosure ... eesh.
2. Weighs in at around 5 pounds with carrying case and has almost half or a third the volume of other cases. I'll be moving around soon, so this was a better option than a full desktop, and any weight/volume saved will come in handy.
3. Being able to charge your laptop from the link was a must for me. The $300 enclosures didn't have this, so the cheapest was the Mantiz Venus at $380.

I'll post more when I get the box, for gaming (and hopefully) machine learning observations.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Paul MaudDib posted:

That's because they're feeding it back to the internal display. PCIe 3.0x4 speed isn't bad... for just the graphics card by itself. But when you're pushing a raw 1080p stream back to the laptop over the same channel then yeah, everything goes to poo poo.

To make that work, we really need at least 4.0x4 speeds and probably also the "visually lossless" Display Stream Compression in the newer DisplayPort standards.

Why not just add a display input on the laptop for the screen?

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

xthetenth posted:

Why not just add a display input on the laptop for the screen?

And have two cables? Surely you jest!

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

DrDork posted:

And have two cables? Surely you jest!

Yeah, I'm weird for prioritizing actually working.

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003
Anybody else run their pascal cards undervolted instead of balls to the walls with the voltage? My 1080ti runs 1950 at 950 mV which is still good performance but with lower temps and less fan speed.

The 1070 in my laptop runs 1900 at 900 mV which really helps with the temps.

Fruit Chewy
Feb 13, 2012
join whole squid

B-Mac posted:

Anybody else run their pascal cards undervolted instead of balls to the walls with the voltage? My 1080ti runs 1950 at 950 mV which is still good performance but with lower temps and less fan speed.

I run my 1080ti around 2050@981 usually. Lately I've been running stock because PUBG likes to poo poo the bed if you touch literally anything it seems.

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003

Fruit Chewy posted:

I run my 1080ti around 2050@981 usually. Lately I've been running stock because PUBG likes to poo poo the bed if you touch literally anything it seems.

I can't get 2000 stable unless I use 1025 or higher. Just isn't worth the voltage to me. That's a nice clock for 981 though. PUBG is definitely finicky for sure.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

B-Mac posted:

Yeah my 1080's thermal paste is hosed up so I've been running 90% power limit rather than 120% (which is technically not undervolting, I will grant you). I have all the other parts I need for my AIO setup, and my VRM shield has reached the US (left the Chicago ISC yesterday morning) so I'm really hoping it'll be here tomorrow. But I don't want to put it together and then rip it apart a second time in a week so until it arrives I'm slumming it with a reduced power limit.

Undervolting actually increases Pascal's performance. After all, less voltage uses less power and Pascal is entirely power-limited. So nowadays if you want to fiddle with micro-optimizations to squeeze every last percent out of your card, this is how you do it on Pascal.

I was also looking at it for a full-passive build. There is a full-passive mATX case with a 90W capacity for the CPU and a 90W capacity for the GPU. My CPU (5820K, 4.13 GHz all-core at stock voltage) maxes out at 90W under Handbrake. And a 1080 at 50% power consumption also works out to 90W. A couple days ago I tried a run through Novigrad at 50% power limit (thought I set the fan to 30% but it was on auto at 30-40% speed). Worked pretty much like you'd expect, I got 1070-level performance (57-63 fps at ultra in Novigrad) and at 50% power I'd be pulling 90W, so it's 1060-level power consumption. GPU-Z log, recording of run

In theory you could take it even farther and go with a 1080 Ti at 33% power limit. Afterburner doesn't let you set a limit that low but I think you can do it with nvidia-smi. Should be 1080-ish performance at the 90W power envelope.

Anyway, I'm not going to do it because I don't have the space (and passive builds need a lot of space) but on paper you could actually make a pretty sweet 6C or 8C work-hard/play-hard rig and run it totally passive by underclocking the snot out of it.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Jul 15, 2017

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

B-Mac posted:

I can't get 2000 stable unless I use 1025 or higher. Just isn't worth the voltage to me. That's a nice clock for 981 though. PUBG is definitely finicky for sure.

I only have a 1080, but I run 2025@0.962v and could probably go lower. Then again, other than mining buttes for a bit, the only "heavy" lifting it does is play FFXIV, so...

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003
That passive cooling setup sounds pretty sweet Paul. Probably feasible in the next generation or two if nvidia keeps up with their efficiency. Have a link to it by chance?

DrDork posted:

I only have a 1080, but I run 2025@0.962v and could probably go lower. Then again, other than mining buttes for a bit, the only "heavy" lifting it does is play FFXIV, so...

The Ti seems a bit more finicky regarding voltage than the 1070/1080, that's a nice clock for 962. I have a xb271hu to pair with the 1080 ti and it's really awesome. First time I've dropped cash for the top tier, usually stay in the $200-$300 range.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

B-Mac posted:

That passive cooling setup sounds pretty sweet Paul. Probably feasible in the next generation or two if nvidia keeps up with their efficiency. Have a link to it by chance?

HDPlex H5 second-gen, I've been posting about it a little in the SFF/mITX thread

edit: and while LGA2011 isn't on the compatibility list... I emailed the owner and he says he designed the AM4 bracket kit to be compatible with 2011-3 Narrow ILM.

At first I was bummed out because no mATX boards actually use 2011-3 Narrow ILM. But then I realized, you know what that means? I finally have a reason to buy the Asrock X99 ITX board :kheldragar:

(and also from looking at those pics I don't think you can do the GPU and a mATX board)

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Jul 15, 2017

Fruit Chewy
Feb 13, 2012
join whole squid

Paul MaudDib posted:

HDPlex H5 second-gen, I've been posting about it a little in the SFF/mITX thread

edit: and while LGA2011 isn't on the compatibility list... I emailed the owner and he says he designed the AM4 bracket kit to be compatible with 2011-3 Narrow ILM.

At first I was bummed out because no mATX boards actually use 2011-3 Narrow ILM. Bu then I realized, you know what that means? I finally have a reason to buy the Asrock X99 ITX board :kheldragar:

You should hit up those huge 6850k sales.

Bad Parenting
Mar 26, 2007

This could get emotional...

Not sure if this or the PC building thread would be the better one to ask in, but I grabbed an EVGA 1080 Ti FTW3 in a sale, looking to upgrade from my 980 Ti. What I stupidly didn't consider is the size of the card, it's loving massive and doesn't fit in my Corsair Carbide Air 240 case. Any recommendations for a similarly sized case that will fit this huge card?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Bad Parenting posted:

Not sure if this or the PC building thread would be the better one to ask in, but I grabbed an EVGA 1080 Ti FTW3 in a sale, looking to upgrade from my 980 Ti. What I stupidly didn't consider is the size of the card, it's loving massive and doesn't fit in my Corsair Carbide Air 240 case. Any recommendations for a similarly sized case that will fit this huge card?

It should fit in that case actually if you remove the lower front fan. Which you can probably get away with depending on what else you have in there. If the GPU runs hot you might be able to rig up a deflector on the remaining top fan to push some air downwards?

As long as there's some circulation happening it should be ok, probably run the heatsink fans a bit louder but that's the breaks of small cases.

Evga says that card is 300mm. Lots of oversize mATX cases (like fractal define mini C, cm N200, or a bunch of silverstones) can do that, but they're substantially bigger cases. IMHO lots of them end up looking like a very small ATX case rather than a micro case.