Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Some new trailers from Nintendo

Shakedown Hawaii: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mZ462F1-yuc

Penny Punching Princess: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sTK8VIZyzQ4

Shakedown looks like it will be very fun portable. PPP's trailer is so busy (and not coming till spring 2018 anyway) I can't tell what's even going on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Look at all those Vita games coming to Switch :nyoron:

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Anidav posted:

obviously they wanted to be on the switch all along, they just got misled by the lookalike :colbert:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Anidav posted:

Maybe they'll sell on the switch.

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

EpicNemesis posted:

So I've decided I want a neon blue or neon red joycon set. A dude on a train had the neon switch and it was instant envy for me because it looks so much better in person than it did on any promo shot I've seen.

Lol yeeeep. Fell in love instantly, i pity grey naysayers Cuz neon makes for a lovely game-toy

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.
Gray is actually by far the best.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
i would prefer neon joycons but i'll settle for the gray ones i have, mainly because i'm not going to pay like 80 bucks for differently colored joycons.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

EpicNemesis posted:

So I've decided I want a neon blue or neon red joycon set. A dude on a train had the neon switch and it was instant envy for me because it looks so much better in person than it did on any promo shot I've seen. Does anyone have and good shots of them that are indicative of what they look like in person? I want to decide on a color. Bonus points if they are connected to the switch. Extra bonus points if you find two reds on a switch and two blues on a switch.
Not sure how representative this will look on your screen but it's something, a little Zelda and Puyo Tetris box color in back to compare accuracy I guess. I think the neon red color pops more in real life, blue is a lot more subtle. (Edit: looking a bit more these aren't bad I guess, just imagine red a bit stronger and blue a bit less so)

Also grip removed joycon grip there too cause why not.

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

I use a red left and a yellow right joycon. Thus signifies my status as an alpha male

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

That looks uncomfortable without the grip.

turnways
Jun 22, 2004

Policenaut posted:

The DS4's touchpad also acts as 4 buttons (or 1 general button) plus 4 different swipe directions for a minimum possible 5 extra inputs so :confused:

Nintendo has one more standard (non-touchpad) button than DS4 (Share = Capture, PS = Home, Options = +, - is select which DS4 doesn't have) so there's at least one extra input accounted for.

But this is moot because they were saying they could port it to the Xbox One / X with no problems, which has the same number of buttons as a Switch.

But it's even more moot because they're never gonna port it; why flame out on four platforms when you can crash and burn on three for less money.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

SeANMcBAY posted:

That looks uncomfortable without the grip.
It's more for keeping them together in transport and/or a much more portable grip thing if anyone else wants to use it...I never really used the grip myself.

Not that I've held one in years, but my first reaction was that it kinda reminded me of the Dreamcast controller. So yeah, uncomfortable. Or I guess it might feel like whichever Nintendo portable but taller. Not bad but definitely a comfort downgrade.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

japtor posted:

It's more for keeping them together in transport and/or a much more portable grip thing if anyone else wants to use it...I never really used the grip myself.

:same:

It's useful by itself as a joyconn transportation deal, but having them locked together like that so close to each other feels bad as hell even with the grips

kimpira
Jul 11, 2012

irlZaphod posted:

Has anyone checked out any of today's new games yet?

I got Levels+ earlier today after watching a gameplay video on youtube. It's a turn-based puzzle game where you merge colored tiles on a grid according to a few rules:

- yellow tiles are treasure; treasure tiles can be merged if they have the same number on them
- blue tiles are heroes; they can merge with other hero tiles with the same number, and they can collect treasures/destroy monsters of equal or lesser value
- monster tiles are red and can't be directly moved or merged with other tiles at all; you have to destroy them with a hero tile.

It reminds me of a slightly more complicated version of Threes but it's surprisingly involving.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

That blue on blue looks tight.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I want both neon and gray

Gray for like funerals and interviews, neon for concerts and working out.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I like neon better but I got gray because that was all they had so now I have to act like it's no big deal

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

:same:

It's useful by itself as a joyconn transportation deal, but having them locked together like that so close to each other feels bad as hell even with the grips
:yeah:

I'm all about the lazy split joycon life.

(...or occasionally hunched over the tiny screen and playing with my arms crossed over)

Wendell
May 11, 2003

poo poo, Jim's right. Now I need white ones for weddings!

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Wendell posted:

Good call. Nintendo get on this

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Hey you... I got something to tell ya
Biscuit Hider

Norns posted:

Pull up Nintendo switch thread. Pull up

We would but our controller isn't busted in just the right way enough to pull up.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Wendell posted:

Part of the Super Mario Odyssey bundle, I'm sure

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Is Shakedown Hawaii... good? It looked like a Hotline Miami ripoff aesthetically but the gameplay looks like two or three other things combined in an interesting way so now I'm curious.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Is Shakedown Hawaii... good? It looked like a Hotline Miami ripoff aesthetically but the gameplay looks like two or three other things combined in an interesting way so now I'm curious.

It's by the guy who made that NES GTA game, so it's more like a top down gta, but with some modernized elements.

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004

DACK FAYDEN posted:

It's a follow-up to Retro City Rampage, which itself borrows heavily from GTA 1 and 2. It was competently made but I found the meme-heavy writing grating. The dev said he's ditching the memes, for what it's worth, and I think that trailer looks pretty cool.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Penny Punching Princess has my attention for being weird and different, and Shakedown Hawaii also looks like it has potential.

XavierGenisi
Nov 7, 2009

:dukedog:

DACK FAYDEN posted:

It's the sequel to Retro City Rampage, which was a 2D GTA-like. RCR was really fun, and I think this one will be really good too.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Shakedown Hawaii looks much more polished than RCR, so I have high hopes.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Improbable Lobster posted:

A skewed analog stick doesn't give you a competitive advantage and no one has taken their ball and gone home because their stick wasn't hosed up.

I'm saying a normal analog stick gives you an advantage due to the notches, getting a stick that has true cardinal directions is rare because:

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Aren't repros incredibly common? Even Nintendo did a run a couple years ago

Even the official repros are off via the factory manufacturing. Even the slightest offset will gently caress with a pro player's high level executions, and considering that this is Armada (world's best Melee player) who's has money, rep. and sponsorship on the line if he performs poorly, he can do whatever he wants when it comes to having his perfect controller.

Zoran posted:

So if some method of input is impossible on typical controllers but is doable on controllers that are defective in the correct way, and being able to do this special input allows you to perform tricks in the game that are not possible ordinarily, that's kosher? What if there were some useful trick performed by, say, being able to input opposite directions on the D-Pad at the same time, and in order to do that you'd need to physically break the D-Pad? Would that be something a community should endorse in order to enable this special trick?

If people find a way to execute it without using macros and 1:1 input then yes, gently caress it. The scene already endorses spring mods, notches and manufacturing defects and there's steps being taken to get the Smashbox and Memory Card Hax standardized as well which opens up the floodgates. The game is changing beyond using standard GameCube controller.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Shakedown Hawaii looks much more polished than RCR, so I have high hopes.

The property stuff has me more interested. I hope it also has something like the drug dealing mini game from Chinatown Wars.

I like how RCR literally referenced every notable NES game in some way, it would be cool if this did it for SNES.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

I've been itching to buy Shakedown Hawaii since April, when they first said it'd be released. Glad they're taking the time to make it good and stuff but I'd like it now please thank you.

Nov 24, 2014

SeANMcBAY posted:

Anyone can't just add an Amazon listing though right? Maybe someone there got the listing and just threw up whatever they saw on Google image search?

It's probably a mix-up with Fire Emblem Warriors which is rumored for November IIRC.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Shakedown hawaii looks pretty cool.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

We go play orbital catch around the curvature of the earth, son.
My switch arrives next week. I went out and bought mario kart 8 deluxe and zelda breath of the wild as well as a pro controller.

I feel I might have made a slight mistake in getting physical copies instead of preparing the buy the games directly though, given the slight load time differences with cartridges performing slightly worse than micro-SD and the default 32gb.

I probably might get splatoon 2 and arms from the eshop then for that reason given they're very online centric games and I want load times or any potential subtle performance issues that to be smooth as possible.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.
They load like 1 second faster, you should worry about more important things. Like Trump.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

They load like 1 second faster, you should worry about more important things. Like Trump.

Yes. Pray for our president every night. Pray for him to die of sadness. Sadness from not having a Nintendo Switch.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
oh god.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

before fbi closes thread, can someone post the splatoon test fire schedule

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Real hurthling! posted:

before fbi closes thread, can someone post the splatoon test fire schedule