Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fritz
Jul 26, 2003

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

i'm excited to hear about the first test intern getting his brain liquified once they get it to the promised speeds

'waste not want not', says peter thiel

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

qirex posted:

I'd guess the problems will be with deceleration

all you need is to maintain a near vacuum in a 12 foot tube several hundred miles long, no big deal

also eliminate any horizontal and especially vertical curves in the path of travel

and then they can start tackling vibration

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

lmao shark tank reruns

Mark Cuban: "I think QR codes are dying."

guy: "No look. THIS IS GOOGLE GLASS. LOOK HOW EASY I CAN SCAN THIS QR CODE"

Mark Cuban: "uh, no, sorry"

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

can someone photoshop this so it is putin's face

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

Sagebrush posted:

oh. i heard that dogs only eat poo poo when it smells to them like it might have some food value, which happens when it's got undigested protein in it. you can stop your dog from eating its own poops by adding pineapple to their diet, because it contains an enzyme that denatures protein. can't stop it from eating other dog poop though

my next door neighbor in undergrad went out one nigh and poured bacon grease all over a semester's worth of shits the neighbor's unleashed dog laid... next day the dog just runs around eating like, 40 shits. the owner is yelling, trying to chase it, but he's really fat because he doesn't walk his dog he just lets it run around the neighborhood making GBS threads anyways this dog ate a shitload of poo poo and i am not sure how i feel about that like could the dog get sick? it was still alive at the end of the next semester so i assume it didn't hurt it but jeez

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

maskenfreiheit posted:

my next door neighbor in undergrad went out one nigh and poured bacon grease all over a semester's worth of shits the neighbor's unleashed dog laid... next day the dog just runs around eating like, 40 shits. the owner is yelling, trying to chase it, but he's really fat because he doesn't walk his dog he just lets it run around the neighborhood making GBS threads anyways this dog ate a shitload of poo poo and i am not sure how i feel about that like could the dog get sick? it was still alive at the end of the next semester so i assume it didn't hurt it but jeez

that's awesome

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Luigi Thirty posted:

lmao shark tank reruns

Mark Cuban: "I think QR codes are dying."

guy: "No look. THIS IS GOOGLE GLASS. LOOK HOW EASY I CAN SCAN THIS QR CODE"

Mark Cuban: "uh, no, sorry"

shark tank is uncomfortably close to "poor people dance for the amusement of the ultra-rich who throw promises of shiny coins at them to keep them dancing" for my tastes and I always have to change the channel after a few minutes

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

maskenfreiheit posted:

don't worry, the dog is fine

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

maskenfreiheit posted:

anyways this dog ate a shitload of poo poo and i am not sure how i feel about that like could the dog get sick? it was still alive at the end of the next semester so i assume it didn't hurt it but jeez

nah, dogs can eat basically anything no matter how rotten or gross and be fine.

like yeah sometimes the way this works is the dog eats a rotting seagull at the beach and then twenty minutes later horks it all back up all over the back of the minivan, and then excitedly eats it again and then barfs it onto the rug when you get home, but that's the beauty of nature

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

Sagebrush posted:

like yeah sometimes the way this works is the dog eats a bunch of rotting fish and then twenty minutes later horks it all back up all over the back of the minivan, and then excitedly eats it again and then barfs it onto the rug when you get home, but that's the beauty of nature

My one dog killed a baby deer (this was not approved behavior, it was horrible). Anyway then the other dog found and ate the remains 2 days later, horked it up and then OTHER dog ate that. 🐕🐕🐕🐕🐕

Dogs rule

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

ate all the Oreos posted:

shark tank is uncomfortably close to "poor people dance for the amusement of the ultra-rich who throw promises of shiny coins at them to keep them dancing" for my tastes and I always have to change the channel after a few minutes

yeah but then you get the clueless idiots propped up by daddy's money or VC funding with terrible ideas. or the guy who wanted $15 million to suck gold from seawater

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Sagebrush posted:

like yeah sometimes the way this works is the dog eats a rotting seagull at the beach and then twenty minutes later horks it all back up all over the back of the minivan, and then excitedly eats it again and then barfs it onto the rug when you get home, but that's the beauty of nature

do wolves do this bullshit or was this bred into them by us

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jt2gPAnR8A8

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Yes all sorts of canines do it.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

one of the guys from shark tank was on celebrity jeopardy

he's pretty dumb and did really bad. before the game even started he misspelled his own nickname on the podium

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

DOGS IN ELK (context)

duTrieux. fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Jul 14, 2017

aardvaard
Mar 4, 2013

you belong in the bog of eternal stench

mark
aaron
KEVIN Mr.Wonderful!

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

CommunistPancake posted:

mark
aaron
KEVIN Mr.Wonderful!

that's not an exclamation point

he spelled it "mr. wonderfull"

skimothy milkerson
Nov 19, 2006

where is a-a-ron at

is a-a-ron here today

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

The_Franz posted:

he's pretty dumb and did really bad. before the game even started he misspelled his own nickname on the podium

lol

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

also eliminate any horizontal and especially vertical curves in the path of travel

and then they can start tackling vibration

the number of technical challenges that hyperloop faces is astonishing and the fanboys online treat them like minor details. compared to the grand idea of "go faster because there is less air resistance".

hell the entire idea is a crazy violation of the KISS principle: pull enough vacuum to reduce air resistance but leave enough air in the tube to allow for the passenger pod to use a combination of rams and pumps to concentrate and redirect the air to the outer skin of the pod to form a bastardized hybrid hydrodynamic/hydrostatic bearing, selectively increasing pressure to particular surfaces when cornering to prevent contact between the pod and the tube at relative speeds 10x that of a bench grinder.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

The_Franz posted:

I believe you meant mispeled

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

The_Franz posted:

that's not an exclamation point

he spelled it "mr. wonderfull"

i mean it looks a lot like an exclamation point, you can just barely see a disconnected dot at the bottom

admittedly he might have added that after the fact

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Shifty Pony posted:

the number of technical challenges that hyperloop faces is astonishing and the fanboys online treat them like minor details. compared to the grand idea of "go faster because there is less air resistance".

hell the entire idea is a crazy violation of the KISS principle: pull enough vacuum to reduce air resistance but leave enough air in the tube to allow for the passenger pod to use a combination of rams and pumps to concentrate and redirect the air to the outer skin of the pod to form a bastardized hybrid hydrodynamic/hydrostatic bearing, selectively increasing pressure to particular surfaces when cornering to prevent contact between the pod and the tube at relative speeds 10x that of a bench grinder.

My favorite part is engineers generally worked out long distance vacuum trains as pointless and too difficult to build even with future materials like by 1875

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.

fishmech posted:

My favorite part is engineers generally worked out long distance vacuum trains as pointless and too difficult to build even with future materials like by 1875

got any reading on this by any chance? wouldn't mind checking it out.

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

later fuckerberg, none of big stevie's meat for you! go kill and butcher a goat or something

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

the "eat anything that looks marginally edible, find out later if it was" thing? sure. dogs/wolves are opportunistic and in the wild scavenge a lot of their diet. (as opposed to cats, which almost exclusively hunt live prey)

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

Shifty Pony posted:

the number of technical challenges that hyperloop faces is astonishing and the fanboys online treat them like minor details.
but if it's possible it's almost done already

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Wrath of the Bitch King posted:

Basically someone actually built one and it just wasn't worth it.

http://www.nycsubway.org/wiki/Beach_Pneumatic_Transit

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Wrath of the Bitch King posted:

they were generally called atmospheric railways. there are a number of good articles out there about them and they were generally promised to be the solution to the problem of running steam engines underground.

even then they were smart enough to notice that enclosing the passenger pod inside of the vacuum pipe would inevitably lead to horrific deaths. so they had the passenger compartment hooked to a piston mounted in an extremely long vacuum pipe.

unfortunately at the time elastomers were not exactly something you would get in bulk so the state of the art in sealing stuff was to slather the two components in tallow. which worked great until the rats turned up.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

fishmech posted:

Basically someone actually built one and it just wasn't worth it.

http://www.nycsubway.org/wiki/Beach_Pneumatic_Transit

public reaction to the pneumatic transit system was positive and beach was all set to expand it, but it ended up in legal limbo for several years and when he finally did get the go-ahead there was an economic depression which was the final nail in the coffin. nyc actually did eventually build a medium-sized series of pneumatic tubes under the city to ferry mail between post offices that was in use all the way up to the 1950s.

https://www.damninteresting.com/the-remarkable-pneumatic-people-mover/

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

The_Franz posted:

public reaction to the pneumatic transit system was positive and beach was all set to expand it, but it ended up in legal limbo for several years and when he finally did get the go-ahead there was an economic depression which was the final nail in the coffin. nyc actually did eventually build a medium-sized series of pneumatic tubes under the city to ferry mail between post offices that was in use all the way up to the 1950s.

and then featured prominently in ghostbusters 2

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

The_Franz posted:

He was also in financial trouble beforehand, and hadn't really worked out the methods of handling dozens of stations and miles of track, as would be necessary.

Also the post office systems were just simple pneumatic tubes like many hospitals still use. Paper and parcels don't much care about oxygen and noise levels.

DaTroof
Nov 16, 2000

CC LIMERICK CONTEST GRAND CHAMPION
There once was a poster named Troof
Who was getting quite long in the toof

qirex posted:

as a $NORMAL_HUMAN I enjoy a quick breakfast of $DRY_WHITE_TOAST here in my everyday, average $NEVER_USED_KITCHEN

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice
thats not how variables work

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

Shifty Pony posted:

even then they were smart enough to notice that enclosing the passenger pod inside of the vacuum pipe would inevitably lead to horrific deaths. so they had the passenger compartment hooked to a piston mounted in an extremely long vacuum pipe.
Is there a reason nobody's proposing this now? Like why not just have the locomotive in the vacuum tube and have the things that need to go in/out in a non-vacuum setup.

I'm guessing it's some reason other than the cost of building two tracks.

DaTroof
Nov 16, 2000

CC LIMERICK CONTEST GRAND CHAMPION
There once was a poster named Troof
Who was getting quite long in the toof

A Pinball Wizard posted:

thats not how variables work

the implication is not that zuckerberg is an example of a good program

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

they also drink their own pee and loud noises make them silently scream/cry

they've also been observed masturbating in the womb. basically they're exactly what you'd expect from someone living in their mom's basement :haw:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ShadowHawk posted:

Is there a reason nobody's proposing this now? Like why not just have the locomotive in the vacuum tube and have the things that need to go in/out in a non-vacuum setup.

I'm guessing it's some reason other than the cost of building two tracks.

there's two different concepts here

first is a pneumatic tube system, or pneumatic railway, which uses pressure differentials in the pipe to move stuff around. that's the 19th-century idea, and the one where they proposed two tubes so the passengers wouldn't suffocate. it's not particularly fast. its reason for existence is that you can theoretically power the whole system with a big compressor/pump at each end, and the lines are just dumb pipes.

the other idea is a vacuum train, where the pipe is kept in a high vacuum and the trains are driven inside with some other method (regular electric motor, linear induction motor, maglev, etc). i think these started to be proposed in the 1950s or something. the advantage to them is that the trains can go way faster because they don't have to deal with drag.

hyperloop is an attempt at building a vacuum train, not a pneumatic railway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax
i'd say it's more of an "attempt" at "building" a "vacuum" "train" tbqh

• Locked thread