Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Leal posted:

I dunno, Doug randomly talked about child sex exploitation which is a completely terrible thing, except he did it in his Sailor Moon review. Where he had a skit about his penis liking the transformation scenes. Don't think it raised awareness in his viewer base.

Big difference between addressing a topic as the sole subject of your video rather than an offhand comment in a comedy review.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Leal posted:

I dunno, Doug randomly talked about child sex exploitation which is a completely terrible thing, except he did it in his Sailor Moon review. Where he had a skit about his penis liking the transformation scenes. Don't think it raised awareness in his viewer base.

what a perfect way to end page 666

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
As I prophesied, IT HAS RETURNED!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ebb8baFaQ-s

Do not even ask
Apr 8, 2008

that fuckin spit take

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Anyone here watch This Exists? He's got a new video out covering the more batshit outliers of the Japanese pop idol scene. In particular featuring a group wearing Jason Vorhees masks singing pro trump propaganda.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Kamen Joshi is really bizarre. They have some okay music, but christ almighty, management treats them like literal garbage, down to where I'm almost positive it would be considered human rights violations if anyone bothered to investigate, and it's hard to support the group as a result.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Leonardo Retardo

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
hhbomberguy, are you privy to the secret conspiracy that nick robinson is an abuser/andor/rapist or something? i herad this

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Farg posted:

hhbomberguy, are you privy to the secret conspiracy that nick robinson is an abuser/andor/rapist or something? i herad this

Wait, what? Are you talking about Nick Robinson from Polygon or Nick Robinson from the BBC?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

As long as my boy Grif is clean is cool

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

Takoluka posted:

Kamen Joshi is really bizarre. They have some okay music, but christ almighty, management treats them like literal garbage, down to where I'm almost positive it would be considered human rights violations if anyone bothered to investigate, and it's hard to support the group as a result.

I've met some of them, didn't really talk to hey much with them but still. Didn't know about that but I know that the idol industry is extremely garbage in general so I just assume it about all of them.

This Exists is really good btw, except for the while where he tried to cram out two videos per week and didn't put early enough effort into any of them.

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

watho posted:

I've met some of them, didn't really talk to hey much with them but still. Didn't know about that but I know that the idol industry is extremely garbage in general so I just assume it about all of them.

This Exists is really good btw, except for the while where he tried to cram out two videos per week and didn't put early enough effort into any of them.

He gave a mea culpa to trying to go full youtuber a while back; in the meantime he got a full-time job and realized he didn't want to fight the youtube algorithm and made this an official side-gig. Props to him for realizing trying to find weird stuff twice-weekly would lead to some pretty lame topics pretty quickly.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

Yeah, I saw that video. I'm really glad that he backed down from it, it's not very often a YouTube show recovers after getting bad.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

watho posted:

Idol industry is pretty okay now overall. Some parts are seedy. Some parts are overblown. It's just another part of the global entertainment industry at this point.

On top of that, AKB48 is well past its prime and is getting increasingly irrelevant in the grand scheme, so anything you hear about them anymore doesn't really mean much these days; also, the rise in popularity of Love Live and Idolm@ster has brought idols into a much more global mainstream, so hopefully, we'll see some overall improvements.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I don't even know what to make of this.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
I think laying it all at the feet of Old Man Murray is a bit much

Like, Old Man Murray was using the parlance of the time, which I agree, wasn't great, but they didn't invent it single-handedly. Furthermore linking JonTron to "ironic" racism obscures more than it reveals. All of JonTron's racism is very very sincere and openly so, based in loud statements of things he genuinely feels strongly about.

Which, let me be clear, does not actually make it okay, because being honest in your shittiness does not actually absolve you of shittiness

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

I think it's a bit disingenuous to call JonTron a "YouTube bigotry artist."

Like I'm pretty essjew but overall the article seems to be really heavily grasping at straws (and also super unfamiliar with the internet of the early 00s), probably out of a desire to find some kind of Patient Zero.

Also was OMM really that popular around here at the time? I remember more it being Maddox.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Old Man Murray also has really smart, for the time, commentary on the state of game development and common dumb tropes of the time. Not all of it is gold, like that article points out, but more often than not it was. I'm not sure how you can lay the blame at the feet of Old Man Murray when the article itself starts off "Today, most people probably aren’t familiar with Old Man Murray" or else everyone would point to them as an excuse for their lovely humor.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

The Vosgian Beast posted:

Furthermore linking JonTron to "ironic" racism obscures more than it reveals. All of JonTron's racism is very very sincere and openly so, based in loud statements of things he genuinely feels strongly about.

I think the link to JonTron is just pointing out that there is no "ironic" racism when it's used so often and so casually, just like there's no "ironic" misogyny around calling a reviewer a "pompous loving bitch"

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

Well, none of the information they give is exactly new or a revelation. Shock comedy existed long before their sites did and will continue to exist, just that forums gave a everyone on the board a chance to be an internet rear end in a top hat. Linking it forward to a movement led by people who probably have never even heard of their site is a hell of a stretch. They said some pretty lovely things 17 years ago, but that'd be no different if Lowtax or Jay Stile had gone on to write for Valve instead; saying they birthed Gamergate because they allowed shocking things to be said online is a hell of a leap. Also saying Chet managed Portal Of Evil until 2011 is a stretch - as someone who had been on there back in in 1999 or so it had become a ghost ship long before then.

Don't get me wrong, judge them all you want, but also with the context that this was things they mostly said 17 years ago that I hope they've had time to grow past that.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Puppy Time posted:

I think it's a bit disingenuous to call JonTron a "YouTube bigotry artist."

Like I'm pretty essjew but overall the article seems to be really heavily grasping at straws (and also super unfamiliar with the internet of the early 00s), probably out of a desire to find some kind of Patient Zero.

Also was OMM really that popular around here at the time? I remember more it being Maddox.

I didn't know it at first, but the person who wrote the article was also the same person did a long rant on Twitter about how Doom, Myst, console gaming, and whatnot affected gaming a while ago.

It looks like his Tweet chain starts here if you want to read it.

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Jul 14, 2017

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

SatansBestBuddy posted:

I think the link to JonTron is just pointing out that there is no "ironic" racism when it's used so often and so casually, just like there's no "ironic" misogyny around calling a reviewer a "pompous loving bitch"

Yes there is.

Coral Snakes do not stop being a thing because Rattlesnakes are a thing. They're both still venomous but one is occasionally confused for a non-venomous snake.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Irony is dead
Ironic racism is just racism
Stop parroting racism

I hope you enjoyed my poetry thread.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Yardbomb posted:

Irony is dead
Ironic racism is just racism
Stop parroting racism

I hope you enjoyed my poetry thread.

Getting bit by a coral snake is venomous, as is getting bitten by a rattlesnake. Still doesn't mean they're the same snake, or that maintaining the distinction is saying a coral snake isn't venomous.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers

Max Wilco posted:

I didn't know it at first, but the person who wrote the article was also the same person did a long rant on Twitter about how Doom, Myst, console gaming, and whatnot affected gaming a while ago.

this guy loving sucks

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

Oh God that thread is exactly what this OMM piece was about (NWS due to titty at the bottom, also somewhat lovely language) that Roberta Williams tried to claim like 18 years ago but made it somewhat about class. If GG came from OMM, it would have torn itself apart quicker from just how much poo poo OMM gives to Deus Ex over being too much about exploring and not shooting everyone. The idea of Erik WolfPaw would somehow keep a cohesive movement against whatever after writing "If you people hated that Gone Home poo poo, wait until you heard of Overrated POS Deus Ex" is honestly nuts.

That thread tries to both tie one single kind of games to one sort of people which is honestly a bad, bad idea. Here's a better explanation for the phenomenon.

poparena
Oct 31, 2012

Episode Two of Nick Knacks! Pinwheel, Nickelodeon's premier show, which was kind of like Sesame Street on Xanax.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jXmsV3oIpxk

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Max Wilco posted:

Oh, OK, I see that the problem is that this guy is somehow posting to our internet from another timeline. :psyduck:

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
He's like the Adventure Games version of that Japanese soldier who didn't know WWII ended

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

He's like the Adventure Games version of that Japanese soldier who didn't know WWII ended

I love adventure games to and companies like Sierra and LucasArts (though I guess that's sort of obvious), but I'm also the first to step up and tell you how adventure games were rife with all sorts of design issues that wouldn't fly nowadays. The point of OMM's article on adventure games is that the genre wasn't made irrelevant by shooters like Doom and Quake.; it was that adventure games essentially killed themselves by having dumb moon logic. I can't remember what video it was, but MetalJesusRocks (who was a former Sierra employee) said in the comments that Sierra failed because they didn't adapt to the changing market (I remember something about Sierra not being willing to embrace the console market, but I don't remember how it went exactly.)

Myst (which I still want to make a video about someday once I gather the effort) doesn't suffer from the same problems most adventure games had, and Cyan was pretty successful with both it and Riven, but comparing it to Doom is like comparing apples and schnauzers. Incidentally, some also blame Myst as a contributor for 'killing' adventure games.

I also find it funny that he calls them 'tasteless power fantasies' while at the same time bringing up Ultima. (To be fair, he's specifies Ultima IV, but I'm thinking in terms of the rest of the series.)

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Getting bit by a coral snake is venomous, as is getting bitten by a rattlesnake. Still doesn't mean they're the same snake, or that maintaining the distinction is saying a coral snake isn't venomous.

but if we're saying 'holy poo poo there's a lot of venomous snakes in here just being fed and allowed to get huge and bite whoever they want' does saying 'actually some are rattlesnakes and some are coral snakes' mean anything other than pointless pedantry?

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

sexpig by night posted:

but if we're saying 'holy poo poo there's a lot of venomous snakes in here just being fed and allowed to get huge and bite whoever they want' does saying 'actually some are rattlesnakes and some are coral snakes' mean anything other than pointless pedantry?

If you're trying to determine the source of the snakes and how to clean them out (or I guess defang some of them in this metaphor?) it is absolutely meaningful, because they behave differently and have different motivations.

Like, it's possible to get an ironic racist to knock it off, while an actual ideological racist is going to be a lot more work.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Puppy Time posted:

If you're trying to determine the source of the snakes and how to clean them out (or I guess defang some of them in this metaphor?) it is absolutely meaningful, because they behave differently and have different motivations.

Like, it's possible to get an ironic racist to knock it off, while an actual ideological racist is going to be a lot more work.

What confusing me about this metaphor is I can't figure out if Jontron's supposed to be the coral snake or the rattlesnake.

Red Metal
Oct 23, 2012

Let me tell you about Homestuck

Fun Shoe
metaphors were a mistake

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Puppy Time posted:

Let god sort em out.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

poparena posted:

Episode Two of Nick Knacks! Pinwheel, Nickelodeon's premier show, which was kind of like Sesame Street on Xanax.

"mimes, the ninja of clowns"

Old Swerdlow
Jul 24, 2008

poparena posted:

What a disgusting and unbearable amount of musical segments.

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

Puppy Time posted:

I might be remembering things wrong, but back in the day there was some form of "SA versus POE" rivalry going on as internet forums battling for shipost supremacy. OMM was squarely in POE territory - instead of having a front page with writing pieces there was sites on the "POE network" where those went instead (OMM, PointlessWasteOfTime, Seanbaby, and a bunch of ones that went nowhere). That "rivalry" imploded pretty fast when the banner ad money dried up and the dot-com crash happened. SA responded by adding a forum fee; POE responded by shuttering most of their network, keeping the rest on life support and eventually going off to Valve.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

This is a good piece written by the other head of POE, which might explain the whole ordeal sort of faded away. The general thing seems to be that more or less everyone on those moved on to more legitimate fronts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Reminds me of "Kill All Normies", except where that says that GG is a small part of the alt-right movement which has its roots in transgressive art and the idea that "politics follows from culture", this guy is like "OMM are responsible for lovely online rhetoric".

• Locked thread