Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

Instant Grat posted:

pagancow seems a lot more chill suddenly. did you get another absurdly expensive piece of glass or sth

h264 has been around since 03, and is still a p dece codec and its not like you're going to encode a .wmv sooooooooo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

like i know most of you cant encode your way out of a paper bag, but it's actually hard to make a xvid encode in an avi container or something hosed up like that so codecs are more chill now

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

in the future we will have the MEGA CODEC and it will scale from postage stamp gameboy video that decodes in 4mhz all the way up to quantum computer needed to stream 16k video on only 100 megabits per second and be visually lossless.

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

no but srs, waiting for 10-bpc 4:2:2 to be the consumer delivery and RGB/RAW to be the master.

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

banding is like the woorrst

you work hard

all day

you come home

and then banding

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

and youve seen it so many times, you not even mad

just blackness that fills your heart

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

like, "man...why you gota do this?"

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

and so you hope that pouring some more consumer tv processing on it will erase the banding

but it doesnt.

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

you know in your deep, black, heart, that the banding is there forever, just out of reach from the 10-bpc 4:2:2 master

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

And you might ask yourself,

why?

why is fox still running os9 to cut their shows and cant pay a proper company to do an online in 12 bits?

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

but you still have your laserdisc copy of star wars because you realize, pagancow cant get angry at me for analog video, there is no bitdepth

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

but at the end the joke is on u

since you got a poor transfer in rec.601 chroma primaries, and the blu-ray is still superior in every way to the oooooooooooooooooot

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork
Fun Shoe
heres my pagancow impression: duhhhhh. buhhhhhhhhhhhh video

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
non realtime encoding is childs play for retards anyways. hurrr, just do two pass.

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

agreed realmedia encoding or bust

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
bitrate = capacity / duration . whew that was loving tough.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
it saddens me that blu-ray will forever be the pinnacle of consumer video quality. because come on, who the gently caress buys physical media in 2017. who the hell buys a new format of physical media (uhd blu-ray)? dvds probably outsell even blu-rays anyway.

i once read a message by someone who wanted the streaming version of some movie FOR A PROGECT, because they thought that streaming version of the movie is the best quality because it's in "the cloud" somewhere and thus not bound by the strict capacity of a blu-ray disc. which is pretty adorable imo :kiddo:

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

Wheany posted:

it saddens me that blu-ray will forever be the pinnacle of consumer video quality. because come on, who the gently caress buys physical media in 2017. who the hell buys a new format of physical media (uhd blu-ray)? dvds probably outsell even blu-rays anyway.

i once read a message by someone who wanted the streaming version of some movie FOR A PROGECT, because they thought that streaming version of the movie is the best quality because it's in "the cloud" somewhere and thus not bound by the strict capacity of a blu-ray disc. which is pretty adorable imo :kiddo:

i buy blu-rays my entire collection is blu ray why is it supposed to be that nobody buys physical media?

they wont sell it to me in blu ray quality digitally, so i have to do it myself

of course it all ends up on a NAS but gently caress pirating and dealing with all of that, i buy physical media and rip and at least if the array fails i still have the original media as backup

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

how come vbr mp3s are good but video files are crap

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

Sniep posted:

i buy blu-rays

Sniep posted:

my entire collection

Sniep posted:

i buy physical media and rip
all definitely things that a most people do

Sniep posted:

gently caress pirating and dealing with all of that
netflix, my dude

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast
works for me

i just decode the raw blu ray rips on my apple tv and it seems ok

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast
i refuse to put a whole computer in my living room that necessitates a keyboard and mouse

the living room is not to have that bullshit, i absolutely refuse

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

they make netflix machines

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

hifi posted:

they make netflix machines

some times the netflix in inside the tv already :eek:

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

RISCy Business posted:

heres my pagancow impression: duhhhhh. buhhhhhhhhhhhh video
heres my pagancow impression: buhhh duhhdo you even encode??? you can't encode your way out of a paper bag. gunnar glasses. heres 10 posts in a row

Linguica fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Jul 14, 2017

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
you know what's funnier than you're posts?

macroblocking

Max Facetime
Apr 18, 2009

pagancow posted:

banding is like the woorrst

you work hard

all day

you come home

and then banding

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Wheany posted:

The Digital Bits' writer is having a meltdown right now because the big studios don't really care about physical media anymore and they're unable to find out answers to technical questions that aren't answered in the press release about upcoming stuff (what set him off was Disney not knowing if GotG V2 would be Dolby Vision or not)

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

ya, streaming is great for studios and the streaming companies cuz they can just say "oh well try configuring your network properly :smug:" and dodge all quality complaints

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan
streaming loving sucks

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE
I torrent all my blu-ray rips then Archive them on LTO tapes

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

Moist von Lipwig posted:

streaming loving sucks

ya

except for twitch and that's ok

the rest tho can go

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

what do i want?

lossless 4k @ 16 bits per channel streamed to my tv w/ lossless sound

when do i want it?

yesterday

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

lossy video compression is the worst

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

check out these guys who are scanning a really old print of a disney print because disney says it's too racist to release today

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ta07R0Gv28

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast
uncompressed 1080p60 is 3 gbit per second

for a 130 minute film, that'd be 2.9 terabytes, or 59 dual-layer blu ray discs to hold the one movie. you'd have to swap discs every couple minutes lol.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Sniep posted:

uncompressed 1080p60 is 3 gbit per second

for a 130 minute film, that'd be 2.9 terabytes, or 59 dual-layer blu ray discs to hold the one movie. you'd have to swap discs every couple minutes lol.

wouldn't have to swap it if it were streaming.

also I didn't say uncompressed. I said lossless

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

lossless what? lossless 4:2:0? 4:2:2? RGB? Float RGB? Bayer pattern? 10-bit, 12-bit, 16-bit?

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE
just give me the red mags out of the camera

I'll cut my own copy together.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

josh04 posted:

lossless what? lossless 4:2:0? 4:2:2? RGB? Float RGB? Bayer pattern? 10-bit, 12-bit, 16-bit?

10bit 4:2:2/4:2:0, ya' doof

e: 3GSDI do you speak it?

Sniep fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Jul 15, 2017

• Locked thread