Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rakeris
Jul 20, 2014

Afaik there isn't any point to being on a particular server unless you want to WvW with peeps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

UchihaHirou posted:

Dreggon, do you still have those stacks and stacks of Putrid essences that you invested in like 3 years ago? Maybe they'll finally pay off!

nah i dumped em

lucifirius
Mar 7, 2016
I want more raiding. It's like an addiction now, one that can only be satisfied by throwing myself against VG and other big baddies.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

lucifirius
Mar 7, 2016

is that your new character?

Aug 24, 2011

lucifirius posted:

I want more raiding. It's like an addiction now, one that can only be satisfied by throwing myself against VG and other big baddies.

infected

Mokbek
Dec 19, 2014

Call Me The Shocker

Rakeris posted:

Afaik there isn't any point to being on a particular server unless you want to WvW with peeps.

Does that mean I can apply for the goon guilds even if I'm on a different realm ?

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

How rough is it to play Rev in raids? Seems like it is kinda hanging on the edge for being capable after the nerfs, but it's rotation looks pretty involved.

SkullMuffinz
Jan 31, 2011

I like things that are dumb.

Eltoasto posted:

How rough is it to play Rev in raids? Seems like it is kinda hanging on the edge for being capable after the nerfs, but it's rotation looks pretty involved.

While their power build feels like it's been gutted (for raids), their condi build is in a pretty good place at the moment. Not the best by any means, but their benchmark is pretty decent on Quantify's website as far as I can remember, for whatever that's worth to you.

More importantly though, it's pretty fun in my opinion.

Mokbek posted:

Does that mean I can apply for the goon guilds even if I'm on a different realm ?

That's absolutely correct.

dad on the rag
Apr 25, 2010

Eltoasto posted:

It's ok to play but you'll have trouble joining pug raid runs. You are pretty much only in demand as hand kiter on Deimos.

Aug 24, 2011

i am currently trying to work out the Safe Words in pug raid lfgs that make me think "yes, this group will be successful"

so far with mr hinky we have added the words "pug roulette" to the title and received a cavalcade of people who did their job properly

if you see a group requesting a specific dps class (e.g. 'condi ranger') that's usually a yellow flag. a competent group will not care what you bring - likewise, some of the best players i've seen have brought retarded poo poo (incidentally one of my favourite raid runs and i had a lot of fun). you can even get away with bringing a reaper if your group knows you're good for it

i played condi thief for the first time in a xera pug which was very specifically requesting something that wasn't a condi thief, because i don't give a poo poo and i'm confident enough to do it even when i'm told not to

if the LFG specifies something like "150+ LI" i don't even ping anything. you can usually bluff your way into these groups just fine if you look like you belong, but people do run dps meters so don't try this if it's your first time joining a pug group and you're not confident in your role - that being said, gotta start somewhere!

where the red fern gropes fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Jul 13, 2017

nessin
Feb 7, 2010
Speaking of Rev's, is Centaur stance useful anywhere? I'm not going to bother buying up gear and learning the skills if it's useless but if it can actually do a meaningful job in WvW I may take the time to learn.

Adhesive Gamin
Sep 29, 2010

Meatoberfest is in full swing.
The only hard part about Condi Rev rotation is trying not to interrupt your autoattack chain before the third hit since it flips through pretty fast with quickness. That and being more melee dependent than condi Reaper, Berserker, and Ranger.

I wouldn't run it on VG since you can't go to circles as well and the speed boost mushrooms destroy projectiles, which includes your Jalis hammers, nor Deimos if people do the ranged camping to avoid oils. Haven't tried Xera with it and don't see any real advantage immediately besides emergency boonstrip. Does fine on Matthias if you don't want to set up a condi Mesmer, might be decent on Samarog since he's big enough to stay in fields but wiggles around a lot for Torment.

nessin posted:

Speaking of Rev's, is Centaur stance useful anywhere? I'm not going to bother buying up gear and learning the skills if it's useless but if it can actually do a meaningful job in WvW I may take the time to learn.

Mostly places where you need excessive amounts of projectile destruction, e.g. with good timing you can solo block all of the Vinewrath Thrasher champion guy's wipe missiles.

Actually trying to heal people with the tablet is frustrating since it seems the instinct is to move out of piles or run around erratically once you start getting low. People swear by it in WvW now and then but it's a lot easier to just have Revenants do their boon spam and cleave while Eles handle healing by walking around and farting.

Blasphemeral
Jul 26, 2012

Three mongrel men in exchange for a party member? I found that one in the Faustian Bargain Bin.

Rakeris posted:

And if you do want to WvW, there's no way to do it because they're full.

lucifirius
Mar 7, 2016

where the red fern gropes posted:

i am currently trying to work out the Safe Words in pug raid lfgs that make me think "yes, this group will be successful"

so far with mr hinky we have added the words "pug roulette" to the title and received a cavalcade of people who did their job properly

if you see a group requesting a specific dps class (e.g. 'condi ranger') that's usually a yellow flag. a competent group will not care what you bring - likewise, some of the best players i've seen have brought retarded poo poo (incidentally one of my favourite raid runs and i had a lot of fun). you can even get away with bringing a reaper if your group knows you're good for it

i played condi thief for the first time in a xera pug which was very specifically requesting something that wasn't a condi thief, because i don't give a poo poo and i'm confident enough to do it even when i'm told not to

if the LFG specifies something like "150+ LI" i don't even ping anything. you can usually bluff your way into these groups just fine if you look like you belong, but people do run dps meters so don't try this if it's your first time joining a pug group and you're not confident in your role - that being said, gotta start somewhere!

I gotta do pug raids some time, maybe I can get away with my condi reaper. I do have a Power PS in exotics, but that's not nearly as fun as reaper.

Vidmaster
Oct 26, 2002

lucifirius posted:

I gotta do pug raids some time, maybe I can get away with my condi reaper. I do have a Power PS in exotics, but that's not nearly as fun as reaper.

They're usually not too bad, especially on the harder content. I've had more bad groups on VG than anything else because people would rather spend an hour failing at no green circles to save a minute than just doing them and succeeding the first time.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

Condi reaper looks pretty high up there on the benchmarks, is it just that necro players have a bad rep like rangers used to?

Erdricks
Sep 8, 2005

There's nothing refreshing like a sauna!

Eltoasto posted:

Condi reaper looks pretty high up there on the benchmarks, is it just that necro players have a bad rep like rangers used to?

necro benchmark does not translate into reality because 1/2 of necro dps depends on being able to whirl in chill fields, which just does not happen in raids.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

So I reached the point in the game where I have more HoT Mastery Points than I know what to do with them, but XP is not catching up.

What's the most efficient way of grinding HoT XP?

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

frajaq posted:

Bloodstone Fen

lucifirius
Mar 7, 2016

Vidmaster posted:

They're usually not too bad, especially on the harder content. I've had more bad groups on VG than anything else because people would rather spend an hour failing at no green circles to save a minute than just doing them and succeeding the first time.

On last weeks raid I was hovering around 4th place on DPS, not much below the #2 and #3.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I beat Cletus in DPS regularly, just thought I'd share that little Arus Trivia Tidbit with you all

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

In fact, overall, I beat him in most aspects of life regularly, it's just how it is

xthnru
Apr 6, 2007

FUCK YOU GUYS. I'm out.

CLAM DOWN posted:

In fact, overall, I beat him in most aspects of life regularly, it's just how it is

xthnru fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Jul 13, 2017

Dakammer
Apr 24, 2004
- Forum Bass Wizard -
So, I played this game around release and then got distracted and completely forgot about it. As it's been several years, I figured I'd start from scratch and see how things stand. Are there any standout classes in either direction of balance? I remember engineers used to be turbo-garbage and warriors were ludicrously overpowered, but I assume the balance pendulum is in a completely different point these days. Alternatively, a class that's reasonably group friendly but also not inept at soloing would be awesome.

Lonk
Jan 26, 2012

LET'S FUCKING GOOOOOOOO
I'm sorta back from the dead, is OP updated?!?

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

I too am back from the dead, I got Arenanet to remove my authenticator and got my account recovered last night. I have no idea what is happening, hold me Arus:ohdear:

Rakeris
Jul 20, 2014

Dakammer posted:

So, I played this game around release and then got distracted and completely forgot about it. As it's been several years, I figured I'd start from scratch and see how things stand. Are there any standout classes in either direction of balance? I remember engineers used to be turbo-garbage and warriors were ludicrously overpowered, but I assume the balance pendulum is in a completely different point these days. Alternatively, a class that's reasonably group friendly but also not inept at soloing would be awesome.

Can't go wrong with Reaper, very good at soloing and still good for groups. One of my favorite classes, hard to go back to others.

Mokbek
Dec 19, 2014

Call Me The Shocker
Yeah, Reaper is a ton of fun, but finding all those hero points can be a real chore.

That is unless you join one of those HP trains with 20 people running as a pack and beating the crap out of those challenge bosses

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Are you a pack of imbeciles!?

frajaq posted:

So I reached the point in the game where I have more HoT Mastery Points than I know what to do with them, but XP is not catching up.

The HoT meta events give a shitload of EXP.

Erdricks
Sep 8, 2005

There's nothing refreshing like a sauna!

U.T. Raptor posted:

The HoT meta events give a shitload of EXP.

I hate doing hot metas because most of them take too drat long (AB excluded, and TD is quick but you have to get into the map 30m early to have a chance at getting into a meta map). Bloodstone fen is a fantastic drop in place for grinding. Always have rift and white mantle events going on, and then there's the halb every 30m, jades every 1hr, and the night cycle string of champs every 2.

Vatek
Nov 4, 2009

QUACKING PERMABANNED! READ HERE

~SMcD
I'm coming back and starting from scratch too but I never played that much to begin with. Is one guild more active than the other?

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

Vatek posted:

I'm coming back and starting from scratch too but I never played that much to begin with. Is one guild more active than the other?

You don't have to choose! Join both and you can even see both chats at the same time.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Mokbek posted:

Yeah, Reaper is a ton of fun, but finding all those hero points can be a real chore.

That is unless you join one of those HP trains with 20 people running as a pack and beating the crap out of those challenge bosses

I think HP trains are kinda required. Some of those bosses are impossible to solo. I pity anyone getting into the game without a good guild. Even more for when/if those trains dry up in favor of newer content.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

I dunno, I boosted up a character a few days ago and found a HP train starting within 5 minutes, and they even had mesmer alts to get some places.

That's what draws me back to this game, it's the best community by far compared to any kind of competitive mmo. Hell, last week a dude with 7 mesmer alts portaled my group all the way up the Ember Cove jumping puzzle, grabbing the tokens along the way.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Inzombiac posted:

I think HP trains are kinda required. Some of those bosses are impossible to solo. I pity anyone getting into the game without a good guild. Even more for when/if those trains dry up in favor of newer content.

Megaservers make that pretty doable, zone populations are good.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

CLAM DOWN posted:

Megaservers make that pretty doable, zone populations are good.

Yeah, I'm just being pessimistic about the future regarding a game I love.
I'm hoping they move gliding mastery out of HOT or also make it part of the new expansion.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Inzombiac posted:

I'm hoping they move gliding mastery out of HOT or also make it part of the new expansion.

There's literally no reason to be pessimistic about the future, wtf buddy! The expansion is coming soon, new living story chapter/finale in a week and a half, it's a good time to play.

lucifirius
Mar 7, 2016

orange juche posted:

I too am back from the dead, I got Arenanet to remove my authenticator and got my account recovered last night. I have no idea what is happening, hold me Arus:ohdear:

Oh hey I recognize you from the Eve thread.

Inzombiac posted:

I'm getting the impression that they're going to include HoT in the purchase price of the new expansion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

lucifirius posted:

Oh hey I recognize you from the Eve thread.

That is a bad and shameful thread.

• Locked thread