Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is going to be your favorite offseason storyline?
This poll is closed.
The Big3 Tourney 67 22.41%
Will Lakers draft Ball 40 13.38%
Where will the Pauls go 54 18.06%
Will LeBron jump ship to the Spurs or ?? 41 13.71%
Will every team in the league just pivot towards tanking 97 32.44%
Total: 210 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

MourningView posted:

I don't think he's that much better on defense. Klay is quietly one of the best perimeter defenders in the league

You could assign PG to defend LeBron as his only job, and I think PG's versatility when going small would be better. Klay is pretty perfect for that role though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

So many of their numbers are nearly identical. I'd be worried about needlessly changing the chemistry of the Warriors.

Klay Thompson is 11-0 in his NBA career when scoring 40+ points. Nobody else can claim that. He has the eye of the tiger. Klay Thompson also scored sixty points in 29 minutes.

It reminds me of the Pippen for Kemp trade that almost happened ~1994.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
In the game of life Kemp was far more productive than Pippen

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

:10bux:

MourningView posted:

I don't think he's that much better on defense. Klay is quietly one of the best perimeter defenders in the league

Klay is one of the most overrated defenders in the league. I don't know where you get quietly from because Warriors fans are constantly screaming that he's the best perimeter defender in the league.

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Breakfast Defecting, Slow Dick Touching, Root Beer Barreling SwagVP
I was thinking about this earlier, but technically "Warriors offered Thompson for George" is a syntactically correct sentence for what went down.

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel

Strawberry Panda posted:

I was thinking about this earlier, but technically "Warriors offered Thompson for George" is a syntactically correct sentence for what went down.

it at least needs "by the pacers" at the end, and doesn't make any sense that way. putting the passive team first in that sentence is stupid. i suppose a reader who is familiar and would know who "George" is and thus where he comes from, but still. i hate that sentence, it sucks

e:it sucks!!!

ee: im still thinking about it, and getting mad

Brolander fucked around with this message at 07:45 on Jul 14, 2017

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Brolander posted:

it at least needs "by the pacers" at the end, and doesn't make any sense that way. putting the passive team first in that sentence is stupid. i suppose a reader who is familiar and would know who "George" is and thus where he comes from, but still. i hate that sentence, it sucks

e:it sucks!!!

ee: im still thinking about it, and getting mad

Eh it makes sense. It would be clearer if you added swap or something at the end of it though...

Warriors (were) offered "Thompson for George"

R.D. Mangles posted:

derrick rose is now wandering the earth in search of an nba team willing to pay him like the mid-level exception, what a world.

Bruh. It's so loving depressing. That dude was so loving good, and fun to watch. Man.

E2M2
Mar 2, 2007

Ain't No Thang.
He cartoonishly kept ripping his knees

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

E2M2 posted:

He cartoonishly kept ripping his knees

Chicago AAU kids play too much drat basketball, they play on like every single AAU team for family and friends and never give their body time to rest

(see Jabari Parker)

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

Strawberry Panda posted:

Dexo posted:

Eh it makes sense. It would be clearer if you added swap or something at the end of it though...

Warriors (were) offered "Thompson for George"

This is neat to me. "Offer" is a catenative verb, it can be strung into another verb, like "The Warriors offer-to-take Paul George off your hands," and a lot of the time in spoken English a catenative verb ends up in the passive voice, like "were offered" or "are offering." For example, "go" is a catenative verb ("Go-do whatever"), native English speakers probably wouldn't say "I go", they'll say "I will go" or "I am going" (except they'll abbreviate)

so "Warriors offered Thompson for George" while formally correct, feels like a weird, overformal or headline-ish way of saying what would be spoken as what Dexo's got there, "the Warriors were offered Thompson for George"

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

EvanTH posted:

This is neat to me. "Offer" is a catenative verb, it can be strung into another verb, like "The Warriors offer-to-take Paul George off your hands," and a lot of the time in spoken English a catenative verb ends up in the passive voice, like "were offered" or "are offering." For example, "go" is a catenative verb ("Go-do whatever"), native English speakers probably wouldn't say "I go", they'll say "I will go" or "I am going" (except they'll abbreviate)

so "Warriors offered Thompson for George" while formally correct, feels like a weird, overformal or headline-ish way of saying what would be spoken as what Dexo's got there, "the Warriors were offered Thompson for George"

Yeah in mine I was just displaying the implied "were". Though the way Initially read it, and I'd imagine most would read it as

Warriors offered (to the Pacers) "Thompson for George"

warcrimes
Jul 6, 2013

I don't know what's it called, I just know the sound it makes when it takes a J4G's life. :parrot: :parrot: :parrot: :parrot:

Lockback posted:

This sort of owns and using your spotlight to poo poo on Skip Bayless seems just and good. He also got ina media fight with Stephen A Smith that was also hilarious.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NpUYhaJKKQQ

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

If the sentence is "warriors offered x" and in fact it was an other team that offered x the sentence is misleading to the point of irresponsibility

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

The importance of this mission cannot be overemphasized
ESPN: Ball Great Again!

Lonzo Ball summer league 3 point shooting: 7 of 36 (19.4%)

ElPedro
Apr 22, 2008
I realize the most likely option is the Rockets, but how would the Cavs lineup even look with Melo? Seems like a defensive disaster and they need defense more than offense as is.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

You have to assume melo would be motivated to play defense

Boosh!
Apr 12, 2002
Oven Wrangler

ElPedro posted:

I realize the most likely option is the Rockets, but how would the Cavs lineup even look with Melo? Seems like a defensive disaster and they need defense more than offense as is.

It's been suggested he'd be in when LBJ rests so their offense doesn't crater (see: NBA finals).

ElPedro
Apr 22, 2008
That sounds reasonable. And it's probably true that on a team like that, he'd be more motivated on defense. I seem to remember he's usually more motivated on that end when going up against banana boat crew.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM
Rule 341 of the NBA is that players on bad teams often don't try as hard. This is also know as the Boris Diaw Correlary

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Dexo posted:

PG played SG at the start of his career

Played with Granger

If I remember correctly, wasn't he considerably smaller upon getting in the league and then went through a growth spurt in his early 20s? I could be mis remembering

Jota
May 6, 2003

uga-booga uga-booga
Motivated Melo is probably still not near a good defender at this point. Maybe passable on ball.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

it makes sense if you think of it like "warriors (were) offered (the trade of) thompson for george"

E2M2
Mar 2, 2007

Ain't No Thang.
Somehow I don't think melo is gonna flip the switch like the Cavs couldn't find the switch I'm the Finals

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

E2M2 posted:

Somehow I don't think melo is gonna flip the switch like the Cavs couldn't find the switch I'm the Finals

I'm also the finals

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

same, op

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Time posted:

I'm also the finals

hahahahaha

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

No, I'm the finals.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

tanglewood1420 posted:

ESPN: Ball Great Again!

Lonzo Ball summer league 3 point shooting: 7 of 36 (19.4%)

Yeah I noticed after he logged a triple double against the Celtics (with like 11/10/11 or something) all the talking heads on the stream were gushing that he got over the hump and figured it out but his shooting was like 4/15 or something.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Cavs went 12-1 in the playoffs before running into the Warriors, and then took a game from them which no other team was able to do. Cavaliers flipped a switch and were a team that probably wins the Championship in almost any other year but they hit an immovable woodchipper in a peaking Warriors team. Cavaliers were playing like a really, really good team.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Lonzo Ball is going to be the next Anthony Bennett. He is too slow!

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

The importance of this mission cannot be overemphasized
I'm the Finals and so's my wife

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Paul Zuvella posted:

Lonzo Ball is going to be the next Anthony Bennett. He is too slow!

No, Lonzo can actually be part of a rotation. He's just not worth building around, imo.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
I love Langston:

https://twitter.com/TheNBPA/status/885864739850641409

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

Dexo posted:

Bruh. It's so loving depressing. That dude was so loving good, and fun to watch. Man.

I remember going to see him during the MVP season when he returned to Memphis and believing with my whole heart that he was the fastest and most controlled human being I'd ever seen on a basketball court

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Langston Galloway seems like a super cool dude

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
It's cool when millionaire athletes give back

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

euphronius posted:

You have to assume melo would be motivated to play defense

hahahaha

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
melo's only played defense once in his career, and it was for his wife when he waited for kg outside kg's team bus after kg said lala tasted like honey nut cheerios

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

ex post facho posted:

melo's only played defense once in his career, and it was for his wife when he waited for kg outside kg's team bus after kg said lala tasted like honey nut cheerios

Hahahahahahaha

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Langston is such a cool dude and I'm glad he finally got paid. Also he's not nearly as bad as people make him out to be.

• Locked thread