Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

deadgoon
Dec 4, 2014

by FactsAreUseless
let's be real, who hasn't posted a funny picture of their junk on 4chan

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Montasque posted:

We used to have some unironic Republicans but they all left or got ran off sometime during the primary. You can now find them in the GBS Trump thread.

My favorite thing about gbs is you occasionally see people touting gbs as the true D&D but they're basically the same except paleoconservatives lol. The CNN doxx thread was :discourse: for that, I love dropping into gbs every once in a while to post because it's too easy.

Baloogan posted:

policy is debated in cspam?

never, never ever

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VTmJJ0lUyQc

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
lol that you think they are "paleoconservatives" in gbs

just lol

thats how bubbled ur all are bubble bobble bubble! bubble tea time!

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
I dunno how else to describe em, they're in likeness posting wise.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
I looked it up on wikipedia bitch

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VYd-PSRXo1o

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

people who really flip out about unintentional deadnaming and misgendering and not asking about pronouns almost universally self-segregate into really insular and mostly online groups because they're usu p intolerable. if a person is making an honest effort to accommodate your gender identity and orientation and you flip out and lob accusations of whatever -phobia, you're not going to be welcome in many places

ScrubLeague
Feb 11, 2007

Nap Ghost
there are like 8 conservatives on SA outside of GIP/TFR

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

ScrubLeague posted:

gbs

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Bushiz posted:

20,000 is bad if you've printed 100,000 copies.

Milo had 388k followers on twitter. Cernovich has 310k, Mcinnes 200k, Baked Alaska 180k, Spencer 65k. I think this is simply a case of overestimating the market. Good luck selling the other 80k, lol.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

ScrubLeague posted:

lol I've read gbs & I recognize fox news brain when I see it

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

Living in a hateful world sending me straight to Heaven

theflyingexecutive posted:

there's definitely a pipeline, but that only exists because of breitbart and alex Jones very actively moving the choicest memes onto Facebook or w/e. like there's no lovely exurban mom running around yelling "praise kek" on her timeline, but she may share a Pepe meme without understanding how or why it became a meme

Let me introduce you to... /pol/ moms...

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

lol jesus christ what

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

im trying to imagine some middle aged conservative mom reading about /pol/ in a breitbart comment or something, googlinig it and actually looking at the posts....... and liking them

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
my mom can post better than your mom

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

this thread with a cartoon nazi anime girl loving allong with a dozen posts spamming IVANKA IS A TRAP over and over is my kiind of stuff - 45 year old conservative mom on the family computer

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

Living in a hateful world sending me straight to Heaven

consumed by normies posted:

this thread with a cartoon nazi anime girl loving allong with a dozen posts spamming IVANKA IS A TRAP over and over is my kiind of stuff - 45 year old conservative mom on the family computer

As a Christian conservative woman I love the war gore threads.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Montasque posted:

As a Christian conservative woman I love the war gore threads.

This actually happens though.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Tokamak posted:

Milo had 388k followers on twitter. Cernovich has 310k, Mcinnes 200k, Baked Alaska 180k, Spencer 65k. I think this is simply a case of overestimating the market. Good luck selling the other 80k, lol.

it's just the 2.0 version of dinosaur media thinking online buzz translates to sales. remember when Scott pilgrim and snakes on a plane were heralded as $500m blockbusters in the making?

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!
Why on earth would older people people be less susceptible to the alt-right rhetoric? The road might be different but young and old can totally arrive at the same destination.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

FaustianQ posted:

Why on earth would older people people be less susceptible to the alt-right rhetoric? The road might be different but young and old can totally arrive at the same destination.

have you ever looked at /pol/

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

i agree that older people can easily fall into alt right ideas and such, but /pol/ itself is another beast

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
/pol/ is just the conservative + reactionary id unconstrained by any pretense of the super ego, of course conservatives housewives are going to chuckle at it or whatever

Mr. Sharps
Jul 30, 2006

The only true law is that which leads to freedom. There is no other.

pol moms dont read pol they read the stuff their cool tech savvy son shows them doyyyyyyy

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

rudatron posted:

/pol/ is just the conservative + reactionary id unconstrained by any pretense of the super ego, of course conservatives housewives are going to chuckle at it or whatever

i dont believe youve spent more than five minutes on /pol/ if you think this tbh

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
there's something to be said about not taking the internet as representative, but the anonymous safety factor of posting on the internet is what I believe to the main cause of the rhetoric you see on it, not necessarily the skewed statistics. The people making racists jokes aren't just the minority of huge racists, but the secret confessions of outwardly ordinary people who find catharsis in the online environment

the true challenge is not necessarily to make a polite society, thought that's important, but to fundamentally challenge what people find catharsis in, by redirecting & contextualizing their frustrations with ideology - this is the task of the 'dirtbag left'

fwiw every single one of my posts is a direct line (stream of consciousness) from my own brain, absent any moderating factor, something i've taken a lot of flak for but which i don't regret

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!

have you ever looked at /pol/

It's actually pretty easy, once isolated into the bubble to adjust to that new norm though. I live in a pretty drat rural and conservative area, I know an old lady who spouts altright memes and shares them on facebook, you can totally reach the point were /pol/ is your new brokebrain way to view the world and you're 70 years old and unironically like anime.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

i agree that older people can easily fall into alt right ideas and such, but /pol/ itself is another beast

that's why breitbart and redstaterealnewsdailyonlinemagareport.com are so important to the right-wing media engine, because they hew the rough edges of 4chan (that have copious amounts of posts unpalatable to norms) and only take the digestible memes and ideas.

Mermaid Autopsy
Jun 9, 2001

anime is just another way to trigger pinko libs

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012
Or, maybe 20 people in showing up in the /pol userbase is a fractional minority and not worth trying to "understand" deeper than oh they're weird racists.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Al! posted:

is there an alt reality of left pepes

leftypol exists, they are idiots but tolerable until they start unironically fantasizing about rounding up kulaks

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN
"third time as larp" :lol:

Foreman Domai
Apr 2, 2010

"In one dimension I find existence, in two I find life, but in three, I find freedom."

HEY NONG MAN posted:

Can I get some names? I'm pretty sure this is the poo poo my coworker is into and I need to know which one(s) he's into.

I have a bit of a bile fascination with the alt-right but I can only name two of them. Top left is Brittany Pettibone. She hosts a YouTube channel called 'Virtue of the West' (seriously) with Tara McCarthy, the girl on the bottom right, a Brit who is obsessed with IQ and eugenics and has interviewed Richard Spencer, Jared Taylor, Kevin MacDonald and other ghouls who should be shot into the sun.

Foreman Domai has issued a correction as of 11:11 on Jul 14, 2017

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

fatherboxx posted:

leftypol exists, they are idiots but tolerable until they start unironically fantasizing about rounding up kulaks

Slowly, they are reinventing hippies.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
so the Mercers are the ones behind Milo now?

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheWeepingHorse
Nov 20, 2009

When parsing the alt-right (and the tumblr-left), it's easy to fall into the mentality of the drunk who looks for his keys under the streetlamp, because the light is brighter over there. These people are more loud than they are directly relevant - of course they are also bellwethers of larger movements, but there is much, much more to it than that. It cannot be overemphasized that normal people do not post online 24/7. Also, these loud people are mostly only talking to one another, or to/at media narratives: the Pepes were not really dealing with Clinton voters, but with the media coverage of Clinton voters.

I haven't read Nagle's book yet, but I will preemptively chime in to say that the growth and decay of Occupy seems like a more productive way to show what happens when the public engages with a leftist movement. People instantly responded, instantly related, but as the movement bore on without goals or vertical leadership, it faded away into patchouli curlicues.