Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

a cock shaped fruit posted:

AOBR had bikes....?

No just the orks. The other stuff I nabbed from a swap meet. Out of the lot I only wanted the looted Baneblade.

I think they are AoBR orks. They are almost all monopose and the heads just stick on...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Y'all got any more of that plastic?
Buglord

Funny you should mention orange however, because...uh...

Jokaero orange. I very nearly hit it with a highlight of Trollslayer...

You've basically made a Doom Marine Space Marine and I totally want to steal your color scheme now

Pidgin Englishman
Apr 30, 2007

If you shoot
you better hit your mark

Sup, Typhus conversion bud? I feel like it's kind of a right of passage for DG players now.

I was too cheap for bits, though, and carved a scythe out of a kinked bit of sprue, and chopped off the thick round vertical bits on the sprue for the destroyer hive (with a hole drilled down the middle). Slather with plastic putty and viola!

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
I am bad at 40k. I am bad with my Ultramarines and I am bad with my Deathwatch. Point me to resources to not be bad.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, I got it now guys. Thanks. My question was never about the AdMech, I was hung up on the specific ruling in the Primaris Primer you get from the Dark Imperium set.

But it's been cleared up. Thanks gang.

ToyotaThong
Oct 29, 2011

Genghis Cohen posted:

Good luck. I'd be interested to see your army list. I think most people seem to agree that guard are pretty top-tier, at least amongst 'conventional' 40k armies where people take some infantry and tanks, rather than turning up at an event and most people have, say, 8 flyers, or 200 proxied tzeentch daemons, or nothing but FW shooting units clustered around a buffing character.

What are you looking at, about 140 infantry models and 6-8 vehicles at 2000? poo poo can get insane if people take more than one big squad of conscripts.
<Brigade Detachment>
Imperial Guard

HQ
Company Commander- Bolt Pistol
Lord Commissar- Bolt Pistol, Power Sword
Uriah Jacobus

Troops
Rifle Squad- Bolt Pistol, GL, Autocannon, Vox
Rifle Squad- Flamer, Autocannon
Rifle Squad- GL, Autocannon, Vox
Rifle Squad- Bolt Pistol, GL, Missile Launcher, Vox
Rifle Squad- GL, Missile Launcher, Vox
Rifle Squad- Flamer, Missile Launcher, Vox

Elite
Platoon Leader
Platoon Leader
Platoon Leader- Bolt Pistol
Command Squad- Regimental Standard, Flamer, Meltagun, Vox
Command Squad- 2xFlamer, Heavy Bolter
Command Squad- GL, Heavy Bolter, Vox
Command Squad- Flamer, Missile launcher, Vox
Special Weapon Squad- 2xFlamer, Meltagun

Fast Attack
Rough Rider Squad (5)
Rough Rider Squad (5)
Armored Sentinel- Plasma Cannon

Heavy Support
Heavy Weapon Squad- 3x Heavy Bolter
Heavy Weapon Squad- 3x Lascannon
Heavy Weapon Squad- 3x Mortar

<Spearhead Detachment>
Imperial Guard

HQ
Company Commander- Powerfist

Elite
Command Squad- Regimental Standard, 3x GL
Master of Ordinance

Heavy Support
Basilisk- Heavy Bolter
Basilisk- Heavy Bolter
Basilisk- Heavy Bolter
Basilisk- Heavy Bolter
Manticore- Heavy Bolter
Hydra- Heavy Bolter

Munchables
Feb 8, 2015

Ask/tell me about legal cannibalism

Oh dang, new thread. I'm back now that eightj has been out and my birthday's comin up so some models will be coming my way, but I don't know what to get. I have no idea what a good starting army is or what books I need with the new edition. I've got about 10 regular marines and a few scouts. I was thinkinh about grabbing one of the 30k boxes since I'm using those models and then I'll have plenty of basic marines, but other than that I know jack poo poo about army sizes and what to make. Please gimme dome advice, tia.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

OhDearGodNo posted:

I'm trying to get Nork Doombull done by Saturday. The "SMART" gun took a long time to piece together. Bonus points if someone can name all the parts that made up the gun.

Also Beer, if you are going I need to offload some AoBR orks if you're interested: Boyz, burnaz, flash gitz, 2 Warbosses, liek 6 bikes, and I think 11 koptas.

You deserve it for convincing me to get a Star Citizen refund a while back.

I'll gladly take your Orks, but I just found out that MY WIFE has something going on in the evening and I wouldn't be able to play for more than a cupola hours. So rather than drive three hours for only a little bit of nerd time I'm going to hold off on this one and OFFER MY HOUSE FOR THE NEXT HAM SLAM. You can give them to Sex Cannon and he can ensure they make it my way, or we can use an opportunity to bitch about Star Citizen as an excuse to get together and drink beer while playing hams.

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer
Got to play my 2nd game of 8th last night. Spent way too much time trying to reference things and forgetting auras, so I made this PDF of all the auras, weapons and unit stats I'm likely to use (for blood angels). Figured I'd share here for anyone who might find it useful. http://docdro.id/jX9TlyY

Felime
Jul 10, 2009

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I'll gladly take your Orks, but I just found out that MY WIFE has something going on in the evening and I wouldn't be able to play for more than a cupola hours. So rather than drive three hours for only a little bit of nerd time I'm going to hold off on this one and OFFER MY HOUSE FOR THE NEXT HAM SLAM. You can give them to Sex Cannon and he can ensure they make it my way, or we can use an opportunity to bitch about Star Citizen as an excuse to get together and drink beer while playing hams.

Sweet. Hamslam 35 minutes from me. Also we need to meet up at the Bowie store or games and stuff sometime.

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Get ready for teh wacky laughz0r!
Spess Mareens

a cock shaped fruit
Aug 23, 2010

The true enemy of humanity is disorder.

Geoff Zahn posted:

You've basically made a Doom Marine Space Marine and I totally want to steal your color scheme now

Great, now I am obliged to use the word 'Doom' in my chapter name.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

Great, now I am obliged to use the word 'Doom' in my chapter name.
Clearly you should just call them the Doom Slayers. :black101:

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
Doom Guys

a cock shaped fruit
Aug 23, 2010

Chapter motto 'Rip and Tear'

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

MMAgCh posted:

Clearly you should just call them the Doom Slayers. :black101:

gently caress now I really want to do that. Use the Doom glyph as their chapter symbol.

VolatileSky
May 5, 2007
i'm gay thx
I'm making a cupola dreads from scratch, and since I haven't ever played loyalist marines, what's the most common or decent loadout for them to have?

I'm guessing dual cc weapons is still dumb to do?

ThNextGreenLantern
Feb 13, 2012

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

gently caress now I really want to do that. Use the Doom glyph as their chapter symbol.

If only you could have the DOOMGUY face from the HUD for squad markings. The higher the rank, the more beat up the face is.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

ThNextGreenLantern posted:

If only you could have the DOOMGUY face from the HUD for squad markings. The higher the rank, the more beat up the face is.

It would be fairly easy to get pictures of that face that I could print onto a decal.

I would use it as wound markers.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS

Chapter motto 'Rip and Tear'

Is that somehow not the Flesh Tearers motto already

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

ToyotaThong posted:

I've got a 2000 point tourney this weekend.
Holy hell, that's a lot of points for a Guard player.
I'll be bringing almost everything in the two pics below.

That looks like about the appropriate amount of Guardsmen.

I'm trying my Valhallans out tomorrow against my buddy's Orks. It's gonna be a 100 PL game using the Blitz mission. I'm kinda limited by what I can comfortably fit in my backpack, so some weird poo poo (Inquisitors! Assassins! Psykers!) are part of my list. Once I got the hang of multiple detachments it made more sense, although all these little one man Guard character units are gonna get murdered to poo poo. It should be a barrel of laughs, I'll be taking a load of pictures.

Also we recorded the Badcast tonight, expect it as soon as Dan and our new third chair finish editing it.

a cock shaped fruit
Aug 23, 2010

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

wound markers.

!!!

That's....a brilliant idea.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

!!!

That's....a brilliant idea.

Only works for up to 6 wounds, I think. (7 if you count "removed all counters" as its own state). Are there any on-foot guys with more than that?

parabolic
Jul 21, 2005

good night, speedfriend

Pidgin Englishman posted:

Sup, Typhus conversion bud? I feel like it's kind of a right of passage for DG players now.

I was too cheap for bits, though, and carved a scythe out of a kinked bit of sprue, and chopped off the thick round vertical bits on the sprue for the destroyer hive (with a hole drilled down the middle). Slather with plastic putty and viola!

That destroyer hive trick worked out really well, I think. Nice work.

a cock shaped fruit
Aug 23, 2010

The Bee posted:

Only works for up to 6 wounds, I think. (7 if you count "removed all counters" as its own state). Are there any on-foot guys with more than that?

Could be a custom counter for a larger vehicle/walker - say you corresponded the thresholds to an imperial knights 'wounded' categories.

Agentdark
Dec 30, 2007
Mom says I'm the best painter she's ever seen. Jealous much? :hehe:
What are people making roughriders out of? Scout Bikes? Brettonians?

ToyotaThong
Oct 29, 2011

SRM posted:

That looks like about the appropriate amount of Guardsmen.

I was thinking you'd like them.

You guys still need pics of old, poorly painted minis for the Badcast?
Have a couple of mine.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

Could be a custom counter for a larger vehicle/walker - say you corresponded the thresholds to an imperial knights 'wounded' categories.

That would be a great way of indicating break points. I like it! Also now I want a display of Doomguy's face lighting up where the Knight's head would be.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Beerdeer posted:

I am bad at 40k. I am bad with my Ultramarines and I am bad with my Deathwatch. Point me to resources to not be bad.

Munchables posted:

Oh dang, new thread. I'm back now that eighth has been out and my birthday's comin up so some models will be coming my way, but I don't know what to get. I have no idea what a good starting army is or what books I need with the new edition. I've got about 10 regular marines and a few scouts. I was thinkinh about grabbing one of the 30k boxes since I'm using those models and then I'll have plenty of basic marines, but other than that I know jack poo poo about army sizes and what to make. Please gimme dome advice, tia.

I'm going to point you both to 1d4chan which has a basic rundown on the whole game and links to pages about the specific armies (make sure to only click the 8th edition links). There are a lot of 40k sites out there, and a lot of very detailed advice, but it's good to get the foundations first and 1d4chan does that in a way that a lot of the more advanced sites, who assume you already know said basics, won't.

As far as what to get for Marines? Early word on the street has it that massed Razorbacks or massed Dreadnaughts are hot right now. Both seem to rely on the idea of overwhelming enemy anti-tank weapons by giving them too many targets to handle. I personally know that only one or two of either will die pretty quick to armies that have brought a decent number of AT guns, though. For just starting out, I'd bulk up on basic tactical marines, with a few special, heavy, and hand to hand builds. Dudes with bolters can be part of a Command Squad, Sternguard Squad, Devastator Squad, or Tactical Squad and can get around in Rhinos, Razorbacks, Land Raiders, Stormravens, or Drop Pods, which gives those models a lot of flexibility, which is good when you're still learning your army and figuring out how you want to play. Also they've been around for decades and you can get them cheap on EBay or elsewhere in mass quantities.

By comparison, a handful of Primaris with bolt rifles can be...an Intercessor Squad. That's it, and thanks to the frankly ridiculous "yeah, your Land Raider can carry Terminators and Centurions, which dwarf your marines but for some reason a Primaris which is smaller than either can't get inside" rule and the fact that they haven't yet released the Primaris hover transports yet, means they can only walk everywhere. Also despite being the new hotness Primaris aren't too hard to find online, but they're nowhere near as easy to come by as generic marines.

tl;dr Click the link, get more basic marines and build from there.

a cock shaped fruit
Aug 23, 2010

The Bee posted:

Also now I want a display of Doomguy's face lighting up where the Knight's head would be.

I like this. A great deal.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

ToyotaThong posted:

Master of Ordnance

Heavy Support
Basilisk- Heavy Bolter
Basilisk- Heavy Bolter
Basilisk- Heavy Bolter
Basilisk- Heavy Bolter
Manticore- Heavy Bolter
Hydra- Heavy Bolter

You monster.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

With that many heavy bolters, tyranids don't stand a chance. I'd be surprised if even a cupola of rippers survived.

Ayn Marx
Dec 21, 2012

Finally something to stop the gaunt hordes

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Munchables posted:

Oh dang, new thread. I'm back now that eightj has been out and my birthday's comin up so some models will be coming my way, but I don't know what to get. I have no idea what a good starting army is or what books I need with the new edition. I've got about 10 regular marines and a few scouts. I was thinkinh about grabbing one of the 30k boxes since I'm using those models and then I'll have plenty of basic marines, but other than that I know jack poo poo about army sizes and what to make. Please gimme dome advice, tia.
If you haven't seen the new rules yet, GW has a free pdf of the basic stuff here: http://www.warhammerdigital.com/Downloads/Product/PDF/rules/Warhammer-40k-Battle-Primer-English.pdf

It's pretty limited and doesn't cover missions, terrain, etc., and the units themselves expand on it quite a bit. They were aiming for simple. As for army selection, you probably want to start with this force organization chart:

And then expand into this:

You'll also notice that they award Command Points. Simply building an army this way awards three points and the different detachments chosen can give more. More specialized charts give less, more generalized ones, such as the Battalion, give more. These points can be spent on Stratagems. The usual ones are re-rolls, counter-attacking, and causing a unit to automatically pass a morale check regardless of modifiers. Simple and useful and every faction will be getting their own as codexes release. These will likely be much more specific though we haven't seen any yet so I can't give any examples.

Speaking of codexes, armies are all collected into Indices right now. Marines are bundled into one, the rest of the Imperium another. Chaos, and the Xenos factions occupy the other three books. They're full lists, but lack little things like chapter tactics, relics, etc. These are coming in the codexes. If you're going to be playing regular Space Marines and not some weird offshoot like Space Wolves or Dark Angels, their book will be out very soon, likely by the end of the month, so it is probably best to wait rather than spend money on an index that will be invalidated.

There are two points systems for building your army now. A simpler version called Power where models and upgrades are sort of rolled into a unit's cost and the traditional points system where you have to account for every option. Unfortunately, GW kind of screwed up when it came to layout and tallying up points by hand is annoyingly complicated, but it's fixable. I wrote all of my points values into my indices so they were easier to refer to. For a new player, I'd recommend using Power until you get used to the system. Then maybe give points a shot. An app like Battlescribe may be worth checking out to make the process easier. In either case, you probably want to aim for something like 70-75 Power or 1500 points as a solid base for your army. You can always play smaller games like 500 or 1000 points.

I'm torn on recommending the rulebook. There's a bunch of scenarios and lore in there, but the actual rules are so small (and available legitimately for free) there's just not a lot of necessary content. You're a new player so I'd say if you've got $60 to spare, go for it. Alternatively, the starter set, Dark Imperium, comes with a full-sized book this time around so that's another avenue if you want some primaris marines to add to your force. They'll go a long way towards fulfilling the requirements of the Battalion detachment. They're essentially marines with 2 wounds and 2 attacks each. Hopefully, you've got a use for the Death Guard or know someone who wants them.

Munchables
Feb 8, 2015

Ask/tell me about legal cannibalism

Thanks guys. I'm def gonna check out the 1d4 stuff more to help get a rounder idea about stuff. As to SF thanks for the info post, I've got a voucher for I think 33 bucks or so because I bought a codex before I knew about 8th so I'll probably save that for the Space Marine codex when it comes, my birthday's near the end of August so I've got plenty o time. I considered the new box but I'm not really interested in the primaris models. I'll look into detachments some more, I'ma guess that 1d4 has all the info about those model classifications so that should help me figure out what to grab. 'ppreciate it

Hummingbird James
Jan 3, 2013
https://www.warhammer-community.com/2017/07/14/ultramarines-and-the-redemptor-dreadnought-first-lookgw-homepage-post-2/

We now know the statline of the new Dreadnought and its power level, but also we know the new Ultramarines Chapter Tactic: +1 Ld (meh) and their units can Fall Back and still shoot, but at a -1 penalty.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

I don't hate this?

The crotch area looks a bit bulky, but I like the design keeping to the old boxy dreads but making it taller and giving it greater reach.

Ghost of Babyhead
Jun 28, 2008
Grimey Drawer

Is this a lore thing? I have read me a bucketload of 40k lore and never saw anything specifically about purity seals, but I did always wonder.

I did actually consider yellow, but I do not have any yellow paints of my own. I borrowed some to paint some Iron Warrior hazard stripes at one point, but on hand don't actually have my own.

Funny you should mention orange however, because...uh...

Jokaero orange. I very nearly hit it with a highlight of Trollslayer...

I really like the orange undersuit bits on this guy, and the metal plating on the legs as well!

EDIT: I think the new dread would be much improved by leaving off the front plate so you can see the entire sarcophagus. I'm pretty sure I remember reading about someone talking to GW about this and them confirming that you can assemble it without the front plate.

Ghost of Babyhead fucked around with this message at 12:13 on Jul 14, 2017

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

The Bee posted:

Sounds perfect for Marines then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Felime
Jul 10, 2009

Hummingbird James posted:

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2017/07/14/ultramarines-and-the-redemptor-dreadnought-first-lookgw-homepage-post-2/

We now know the statline of the new Dreadnought and its power level, but also we know the new Ultramarines Chapter Tactic: +1 Ld (meh) and their units can Fall Back and still shoot, but at a -1 penalty.

drat... No wonder Marines kinda suck if chapter tactics are supposed to be that good.