Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Jeb Bush 2012 posted:

Most of what you're saying is nonsense but this actually sums up the state of things pretty well imo

still can't get over the amount of extra animation/VO work firaxis gave themselves in order to put out that awful loving feature =/

I'll never get why Firaxis paid for a voice actor and then only had them record like six lines. There should have been a bunch of greetings/insults/compliments based of relations, state of the game, era etc.

Probably controversial, but I'd love to see them drop the (admittedly cute) gimmick where the leaders speak their native language and have them speak English so that they could sell the character of each leader more. Three generic lines in sumerian gets real old real fast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.

Fintilgin posted:

I'll never get why Firaxis paid for a voice actor and then only had them record like six lines. There should have been a bunch of greetings/insults/compliments based of relations, state of the game, era etc.

Probably controversial, but I'd love to see them drop the (admittedly cute) gimmick where the leaders speak their native language and have them speak English so that they could sell the character of each leader more. Three generic lines in sumerian gets real old real fast.

I mean the implementation was bad but the real problem was that the idea itself. pulling the player out of the game to experience a cutscene with a few menu options at the bottom is not a great way to experience diplomacy even if you get the voice acting right

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Splicer posted:

:same: I want to hear "Tile blocker ANNIHILATED" *several seconds of deranged cackling*

:same:

And I want to hear all of the Xenophobe lines in 40K style.

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell

Fintilgin posted:

Having the leaders speak their native tongue makes financial sense. That's a lot of VO dialogue that no longer has to be localized into French, Spanish, German, Russian, etc.

Korgan
Feb 14, 2012

I didn't like the militarist voice. I liked the others and the concept as a whole and I'm looking forward to listening to one of them for ~50 years before turning the advisor off forever again.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

I wonder if they'll re-record the tutorial messages with the new voice-overs. I'd be surprised if they didn't.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

I've put in almost 100 hours but I still feel like I'm trying to get my sea legs. I've been trying to do a basic murder-blob playthrough but eventually I hit some snag. My most frequent problem is that I never get to a point where I always have a comfortable Energy surplus.

Also, what's the meta on what weapons to pursue?

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

SirPhoebos posted:

I've put in almost 100 hours but I still feel like I'm trying to get my sea legs. I've been trying to do a basic murder-blob playthrough but eventually I hit some snag. My most frequent problem is that I never get to a point where I always have a comfortable Energy surplus.

Currently, plasma throwers, kinetic artillery and energy torpedoes are all solid choices, with flak for PD purposes. The only real bad choices are disruptors, and missiles/normal torps once PD becomes common.

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer
My only objection to the voice thingy is that the xenophobe sounds really British. We didn't all vote for Brexit, Paradox. :(

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

Aethernet posted:

My only objection to the voice thingy is that the xenophobe sounds really British. We didn't all vote for Brexit, Paradox. :(

Xenos hating humans not sounding like the Imperium Of Man British sounds like grade-A heresy to me.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

I think it's a cute way to put a little bit more flavor into the game :shobon:

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell

SirPhoebos posted:

The cost of having a large fleet sitting around is not having spare energy to terraform planets. Fortunately you can use your large fleets to acquire habitable planets rather then make them :)

And if you aren't already doing it, make one (or more) spaceports with all the -ship maintenance orbit modifier modules, and always dock your fleets there when not in use. Saves alot of resources.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

LordMune posted:

Yeah, we definitely should have put the audio director up to fleshing out gameplay mechanics instead, that would have ended well. :confused:

EDIT: I can understand the frustration, but you're smarter than this.

You clearly need to post in this thread more if that is your opinion :colbert:

For what it's worth, my view is that anything that adds more flavour to the different types of ethics you can have is a Good Thing.

I would have liked a bigger Dev Diary though, this one definitely felt like a stop gap. Like even if it was just stuff like "How did you pick voice actors?" and whether there was a script to go off or what feel they have gone for with each of the empire types.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

Aethernet posted:

My only objection to the voice thingy is that the xenophobe sounds really British.

That was actually the best part.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Aethernet posted:

I think that's supposed to be a 40k reference, which is very British.

Also you know drat well the proper way to do a nazi accent is to get a brit to pretend to be german.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

OwlFancier posted:

I think that's supposed to be a 40k reference, which is very British.

Also you know drat well the proper way to do a nazi accent is to get a brit to pretend to be german.

If there isn't a line where my AI informs someone that "For you, ze war is over." then no buy.

e; VVV This guy gets it.

Ms Adequate fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Jul 13, 2017

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

I want to hear what the lines/voices are for Xenophiles and Pacifists.

If Spiritualists are anything other than Zhang Jiao from Dynasty Warriors, you've let me down Paradox https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k6YPNKdPnV0&t=4s

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
Star Wars also went a long way into solidifying a British accent as the voice of English-speaking fascists, especially in the context of space opera.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

LordMune posted:

Yeah, we definitely should have put the audio director up to fleshing out gameplay mechanics instead, that would have ended well. :confused:

On a lonely night in Sweden, the audio director, who once nurtured dreams of being the design lead, scowls and kicks a can down the road.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Blooming Brilliant posted:

I want to hear what the lines/voices are for Xenophiles and Pacifists.

If Spiritualists are anything other than Zhang Jiao from Dynasty Warriors, you've let me down Paradox https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k6YPNKdPnV0&t=4s

What if they're a bunch of stoned 1960s hippie stereotypes?

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat

Cease to Hope posted:

Star Wars also went a long way into solidifying a British accent as the voice of English-speaking fascists, especially in the context of space opera.

Did the "British accent is for evil people" thing exist before Star Wars or was that wholly an invention of that series?

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
I think it was an invention of the British Empire.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

Did the "British accent is for evil people" thing exist before Star Wars or was that wholly an invention of that series?

It cropped up in radio because it was a very easy way to distinguish 'good' guys from 'bad' guys in radio dramas. And the US has always been a huge exporter of culture so a ton of conventions like that spread out and got solidified.

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

Shugojin posted:

What if they're a bunch of stoned 1960s hippie stereotypes?

Then the Interstellar Empire of Space :420: is going to colour the map green.

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

I thought the military one sounded dumb but the others were pretty solid.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Axetrain posted:

I thought the military one sounded dumb but the others were pretty solid.

choosing the most ridiculous over the top one and flying a pink heart flag while genociding the galaxy is extremely my poo poo

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
The militarists should've been voiced by George C Scott. You know, if he hadn't been dead these past 18 years. I guess Michael Ironside or Peter Weller would've also been acceptable.

I really just hope we aren't inundated with sound clips, as that will get old real fast.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

You guys are nuts, the militarists shouldn't be over the top primadonna types, they should be a cabal of professional officers constantly reminding you of assorted weapon gaps, and how you need to drastically increase military spending.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

PittTheElder posted:

You guys are nuts, the militarists shouldn't be over the top primadonna types, they should be a cabal of professional officers constantly reminding you of assorted weapon gaps, and how you need to drastically increase military spending.

As I said, George C Scott has been dead for 18 years so we kinda have to make do.

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

Helim needed to be invisible.

Bloody Pom posted:

I wonder if they'll re-record the tutorial messages with the new voice-overs. I'd be surprised if they didn't.
The tutorial messages and notification VO aren't handled quite the same way internally, which is part of the reason we didn't re-record the entire tutorial times ten.

That, and the fact that we have no illusions about anyone actually playing with the tutorial enabled past their first session. :shobon:

Caustic Soda
Nov 1, 2010

LordMune posted:

That, and the fact that we have no illusions about anyone actually playing with the tutorial enabled past their first session. :shobon:

I did that, actually. VIR has a very soothing voice, and since the tutorial doesn't force your hand, I didn't find it annoying at all. Also, the 'turn VIR off' sounds were cruelly amusing, so I ended up turning him back on a few times just to hear those.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Fintilgin posted:

On a lonely night in Sweden, the audio director, who once nurtured dreams of being the design lead, scowls and kicks a can down the road.
Plot twist: Wicked Them Beats is the Stellaris audio director.

Davincie posted:

so uh, since you have multiple voices, but an empire isn't just militarist, or xenophobic but a combination of ethics, how does that work? does the thing just switch voice all the time or is there a voice for each combination?
I'd actually really like the option to have it randomly choose between your available ethics.

It's all academic though since I'm going to replace everything with SotS1 Hivers.

Splicer fucked around with this message at 08:44 on Jul 14, 2017

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

Splicer posted:

It's all academic though since I'm going to replace everything with SotS1 Hivers.

gently caress that's what Stellaris needs

Research accidents

Get on it Wiz/Mune

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I wasn't crazy about the militarist one either.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lol one of the stellaris devs is on their forums insisting that anyone who hates the female voice is sexist. :can:

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

ISIS CURES TROONS posted:

Lol one of the stellaris devs is on their forums insisting that anyone who hates the female voice is sexist. :can:

In their defence if you call anyone on the paradox forums sexist you e got about a 50% chance of being correct.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
Wow, after listening to the voices, I seriously hope we will be able to just select the voice overs we want, because otherwise I'll never take Militarist again. :stare:

Someone evidently mistook Militarist to mean "crazed and bloodthirsty", holy poo poo!

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer

ISIS CURES TROONS posted:

I was going to say username/post combo (not positively) but having now read that thread and seeing Wiz respond to, "We'd prefer Space Prussia to Klingons for militarists, thanks," with "We planned for your internalised misogyny, so therefore you're sexist," I have to admit you have a point. Wiz did a mea culpa at the end of the thread, but it still strayed into Mecron territory for a while there.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Aethernet posted:

I was going to say username/post combo (not positively) but having now read that thread and seeing Wiz respond to, "We'd prefer Space Prussia to Klingons for militarists, thanks," with "We planned for your internalised misogyny, so therefore you're sexist," I have to admit you have a point. Wiz did a mea culpa at the end of the thread, but it still strayed into Mecron territory for a while there.

I don't want to go and read this thread, but on the face this argument makes no loving sense, I have no problem with the voice, but with the garbage it is forced to say. It would make more sense to say the Stellaris-devs are misogynistic, since they are giving a woman extremely lovely lines. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Libluini posted:

I don't want to go and read this thread, but on the face this argument makes no loving sense, I have no problem with the voice, but with the garbage it is forced to say. It would make more sense to say the Stellaris-devs are misogynistic, since they are giving a woman extremely lovely lines. :colbert:
Unless I'm missing something we've only heard one line. If it's all history's greatest cliches then yeah, ugh, but unless there's more samples I missed we really don't have enough to jump to conclusions.

e: we don't even really have enough to extrapolate the bloodthirsty psycho assumption. Personally I'm hoping that reading's the bloodthirsting baseline but given the quote it could easily be peak bloodthirst.

Splicer fucked around with this message at 10:52 on Jul 14, 2017

• Locked thread