Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lost in postation
Aug 14, 2009

Squalid posted:

I was inspired to look into this subject again by this fantastic series on British decolonization called End of Empire. Anything similar for the French empire, whether in French or English?

There was a similar documentary produced by France 5 that was pretty good (if a lot shorter and more basic):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mVfKi8F0iRY

lost in postation fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Jul 12, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

Cat Mattress posted:

They'll pretty much have to raze everything to the ground to reduce the spending by an equivalent amount

Nah, they can always use the poors for live bone marrow extraction and export. They've always got a few centimes hidden away in their benefits packages.

Also blaming foreigners works.

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
I was reading this (http://catalyst-journal.com/vol1/no1/editorial-robert-brenner.html) and this part jumped out at me:

quote:

During the first half of 2016, the François Hollande government was unable to push through a new law to deregulate the French labor market in the face of a huge, militant mass movement bringing together allied contingents of workers, school kids, and urban middle-class youth, a movement that enjoyed the overwhelming support of the general public. But Hollande nonetheless forced its passage entirely undemocratically, essentially by at, using a provision of the constitution specifically enacted for just this sort of occasion

What happened here exactly, something like using a terrorist attack to pass an unpopular (and defeated) anti-labour law? And how did the government get away with it? Because it feels like it's going to be the prototype for a lot of things to come in the next decade.

lost in postation
Aug 14, 2009

I'm not sure where you got the terrorist bit from, but our constitution contains an article that allows the government to gamble its continued existence for the chance of passing a bill without the assembly voting on it:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Article_49_of_the_French_Constitution#Commitment_of_responsibility_on_a_bill_.2849.3.29

It's there because de Gaulle was big on the executive doing whatever the gently caress it wants.

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

That's pretty messed up.

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

lost in postation posted:

I'm not sure where you got the terrorist bit from, but our constitution contains an article that allows the government to gamble its continued existence for the chance of passing a bill without the assembly voting on it:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Article_49_of_the_French_Constitution#Commitment_of_responsibility_on_a_bill_.2849.3.29

It's there because de Gaulle was big on the executive doing whatever the gently caress it wants.

Ah I see, I thought it had something to do with the state of emergency

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

R. Mute posted:

That's pretty messed up.

Welcome to France, a shining beacon of hope for freedom-loving people everywhere! Do not look at the man muttering "gently caress the poor" behind the curtain!

Although honestly, I don't think Macron will need to bother using this anytime soon. The right is the only party that might realistically challenge any bill he pushes for, except they'd only say that he's not going far enough.

lost in postation
Aug 14, 2009

Governments in general have been using it way less than in the early 5th Republic, because we're no longer in a tripartite system (SFIO/PCF/UDR) and the governing parties achieve parliamentary majorities much more easily.

It's still a trash law for garbage people, though.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Okay, question for the american people: do each member of the Trump family get his own motorcade? Because last time i saw the president of the Usa move inside Paris it was under 40 vehicles including the french police bikers(a 38 vehicles motorcade) and this time it's slightly under 70 vehicles (68 to be precise). Did he get a few minibuses to move his ego with him?

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Trump probably insisted on having a bigger motorcade than Obama.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
The bigger the motorcade the bigger your penis, didn't you know that?

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

HookShot posted:

The bigger the motorcade the bigger your penis, didn't you know that?
"Each one of his tiny hands has its own bus." was also a correct answer.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

how very centrist of macron to let trump come turn paris into a clown show. please tell me he'll be out of here by saturday and i have a reasonable chance of using RER B without being crushed to death?

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
Trump is gonna leave tomorrow afternoon, I think. Macron will be going to Nice for a ceremony there.

Speaking of Macron:

https://twitter.com/BFMTV/status/885563500382343171

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Did we just elect Joffrey Baratheon, could we get his grand dad or his dwarf uncle instead?

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
Pretty sure we elected Littlefinger.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:
You actually elected a real life person and not a fictional character.

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

I don't get it, can you explain that in Harry Potter terms?

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

A Buttery Pastry posted:

You actually elected a real life person and not a fictional character.
But Game of Throne is just a "Les rois maudits" fanfic by a fat american fan.

Zombiepop
Mar 30, 2010

cebrail posted:

I don't get it, can you explain that in Harry Potter terms?

It's like if ravenclaw merged with slytherin.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Toplowtech posted:

But Game of Throne is just a "Les rois maudits" fanfic by a fat american fan.

I found some episodes of the 1972 show on Youtube a while ago, really quite good despite basically being a televised play.

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

I humbly offer my services as forum inquisitor. There is absolutely no way I would abuse this power in any way.

Today there's an anti-Trump and anti-Macron demonstration at Place de Clichy at 2 PM.

Just sayin

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/NYMag/status/885585224872099841

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

:laffo:

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
https://twitter.com/franceinfo/status/885732851873968129

:shepface:

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

How many of those six are over 45?

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

Has anyone bothered to ask Macron his opinion about de Gaulle? I have this feeling

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015

My grandfather deserted during Algeria and still thinks it's a good idea, lol.

lost in postation
Aug 14, 2009

R. Mute posted:

Has anyone bothered to ask Macron his opinion about de Gaulle? I have this feeling

I think it's not so much an opinion as an earnest belief that he's CdG's reincarnation.

The liberal press certainly seems to think so, at any rate:
http://tempsreel.nouvelobs.com/politique/20170602.OBS0222/accord-de-paris-l-appel-du-1er-juin-macron-de-gaulle-meme-combat.html

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

i hope i'm safe being 26

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
In other news: six out of ten French people are over the age of 30.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Speaking of French military stuff:
http://www.lefigaro.fr/politique/2017/07/13/01002-20170713ARTFIG00179-budget-defense-le-general-de-villiers-laisse-eclater-sa-colere.php

The army chief of staff said "I'm not going to let them gently caress me like that" because of yet another spending cut. Because yes, in Macronland, a promise to increase defense spending to the holy 2% of GDP is translated by an immediate budget cut. Hey, when you look at the suggested plan to give 11 loving billions to the rich, you know that Macron is planning on meeting the 2% target by just shrinking the GDP until the military budget corresponds to 2% of it.

IMO he should have saved some money by just not organizing the 14th July défilé, that would have sent a good message.

lost in postation
Aug 14, 2009

TIL that our Chef d'État-Major des Armées is called Pierre Le Jolis de Villiers de Saintignon, because l'Ancien Régime never really ended for our gallant men in uniform ("hosed" as they may be).

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015

lost in postation posted:

TIL that our Chef d'État-Major des Armées is called Pierre Le Jolis de Villiers de Saintignon, because l'Ancien Régime never really ended for our gallant men in uniform ("hosed" as they may be).

It used to be way worse, just about the entire officer corps used to be pining for restauration any day now in the 50s. Also almost every french diplomat until maybe the 90s was from an ancien regime family.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
If proletarian families had the tradition of sending half their sons to Saint-Cyr on every generation, they'd have a bigger representation in the état-major.

Zombiepop
Mar 30, 2010
n00b question cause I know nothing of french politics, but is there any goon approved news/politics source in english? Using google translate on french articles is kinda frustrating, and in my own country nobody talks about it at all. I wanna know if Macron is gonna save the EU and make everybody happy. He's gonna do that right???

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Zombiepop posted:

n00b question cause I know nothing of french politics, but is there any goon approved news/politics source in english? Using google translate on french articles is kinda frustrating, and in my own country nobody talks about it at all. I wanna know if Macron is gonna save the EU and make everybody happy. He's gonna do that right???
He's gonna save it in the sense that he'll destroy the only thing standing in the way of complete German dominance.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
The Local is alright to keep up with recent events.

Zombiepop
Mar 30, 2010

Kassad posted:

The Local is alright to keep up with recent events.

Thanks, this seems pretty casual so that's good for starters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zombiepop
Mar 30, 2010

A Buttery Pastry posted:

He's gonna save it in the sense that he'll destroy the only thing standing in the way of complete German dominance.

I don't even know if That's good or bad.