Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Im specifically complaining about the way ppl make these complaints and not if they have any merit or not.

Although rereading the original post that started this convo it wasnt as snarky as I imagined it to be so Im just ranting at nothing, lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Here's the reality of that time limit: dead rising has a lot of content, but it has even more if you can only do one thing at a time and you're set back to zero, and the zombies respawned. dead rising came out in 2006 and left4dead was the first game to do decent zombie/horde AI, it came out in 2008 You had a bunch of terrible AI shuffling undead half-pipes for you to Tony Hawk on.

No time limit, you wipe out zombies, you do everything, probably don't play it more than a few hours. Probably don't play the next dead rising title. pace it out like an arcade game, is something of a cheap psychological trick because if you put up with it and keep playing, you're more likely to become invested in overcoming the time limit as much as you can to figure out the secrets of the little world it has and thus you've established a cheap way to pad out content by merely resetting your game every now and then. LOL.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

basic hitler posted:

Here's the reality of that time limit: dead rising has a lot of content, but it has even more if you can only do one thing at a time and you're set back to zero, and the zombies respawned. dead rising came out in 2006 and left4dead was the first game to do decent zombie/horde AI, it came out in 2008 You had a bunch of terrible AI shuffling undead half-pipes for you to Tony Hawk on.

No time limit, you wipe out zombies, you do everything, probably don't play it more than a few hours. Probably don't play the next dead rising title. pace it out like an arcade game, is something of a cheap psychological trick because if you put up with it and keep playing, you're more likely to become invested in overcoming the time limit as much as you can to figure out the secrets of the little world it has and thus you've established a cheap way to pad out content by merely resetting your game every now and then. LOL.

And this is why Capcom makes the BIG bucks

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Star Control 2 has a time limit and everyone on Earth agrees that it's the best game ever made. Therefore you cannot say time limits are inherently bad.

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
I've always found Mario games to be extremely boring, the only one I've ever finished was Sunshine and even that I thought was boring.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

there is not one pure single platformer i have completed or even tried to complete offhand

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

sly cooper is the best platformer

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Mortal Kombat games are pretty much the only good fighting games ever because you can just mash buttons when drunk and hilarious gory poo poo happens

Unreal Tournament 2004 was the last good (non co-op) multiplayer FPS

Witcher 3 combat is good unless you're terrible at video games or really autistic and can only play games where you have to memorise patterns

Almost all mods are completely terrible, and most of the good ones are basically just cheat codes

Roguelike, Metroidvania and anything boasting pixel art as a feature are just codewords for poo poo games. 99.9% of things calling themselves indie also apply here

The new Doom and Wolfenstein games are awesome when there's stuff to shoot and really bad when there's nothing to shoot and you're just farting around finding a platform to jump to or whatever

I have no problem with paying a subscription fee for PS+ because the fun I get from the odd not-indie game easily outweighs the £2 a month it costs

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Quote-Unquote posted:

Roguelike, Metroidvania and anything boasting pixel art as a feature are just codewords for poo poo games. 99.9% of things calling themselves indie also apply here

This isnt really a hot take and I think everyones wised up to this particualr scam

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Quote-Unquote posted:

Mortal Kombat games are pretty much the only good fighting games ever because you can just mash buttons when drunk and hilarious gory poo poo happens

I almost beat one of those Marvel vs. Capcom games on one token in the arcade by just open-palm slamming every button at once. Like 10% left on the last fight.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

PostNouveau posted:

I almost beat one of those Marvel vs. Capcom games on one token in the arcade by just open-palm slamming every button at once. Like 10% left on the last fight.

Oh poo poo yeah I had Marvel vs. Capcom 2 on the original Xbox. I only played it twice with the same friend. We were really drunk/high and had no idea what was going on except mashing a bunch of buttons made it go all epileptic crazy flashing lights and it was kind of cool I guess.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Quote-Unquote posted:

Unreal Tournament 2004 was the last good (non co-op) multiplayer FPS

Witcher 3 combat is good unless you're terrible at video games or really autistic and can only play games where you have to memorise patterns

Almost all mods are completely terrible, and most of the good ones are basically just cheat codes

The new Doom and Wolfenstein games are awesome when there's stuff to shoot and really bad when there's nothing to shoot and you're just farting around finding a platform to jump to or whatever

I have no problem with paying a subscription fee for PS+ because the fun I get from the odd not-indie game easily outweighs the £2 a month it costs

let me illuminate this manuscript. the good mods are these kinds: widescreen fixes for old games, and other high resolution alterations, or moderiization fixes. the kinds of mods that GOG has made nearly obsolete. Bug fixes that never get fixed. Restoration mods based on substantial in-game data the game shipped with, or was leaked.

Bad mods: Usually total conversions but not always. it's gonna get a solo release if its worth it so just chill for a while and don't risk installing a huge mod on top of an already huge game. titty/sexy time mods/sadomasochism mods are bad mods. any weird sex stuff is bad. Why are you jacking off dragonborn????

neutral mods: realistic rendering and modelling of horse genitalia

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
GBS hates mods.

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

Precision platformers are the only platformers worth anyone's time.

Phlairdon
Apr 15, 2003

If you can't stand up you can't do war!
Roger Ebert said nothing wrong.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

basically a good game mod is a utilitarian sort of thing. keeping things kinda modern on an old game, or making sure everything works okay on newer systems. Maybe making colorblind friendly textures for games that don't do it themselves. a bad game mod is accessory bloat, pointless feature changes, and things that bypass gameplay.

A good person is moral in all things, including their mod collection. Don't waste precious bits of this miracle of technology on anything that would excessively sully the art of the creator's gold edition.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

basic hitler posted:

let me illuminate this manuscript. the good mods are these kinds: widescreen fixes for old games, and other high resolution alterations, or moderiization fixes. the kinds of mods that GOG has made nearly obsolete. Bug fixes that never get fixed. Restoration mods based on substantial in-game data the game shipped with, or was leaked.

Bad mods: Usually total conversions but not always. it's gonna get a solo release if its worth it so just chill for a while and don't risk installing a huge mod on top of an already huge game. titty/sexy time mods/sadomasochism mods are bad mods. any weird sex stuff is bad. Why are you jacking off dragonborn????

neutral mods: realistic rendering and modelling of horse genitalia

Total Conversions are ftw because only loving psychos are gonna make them and loving psychos are going to make something interesting at the very least, even if its not good

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Meme Emulator posted:

Total Conversions are ftw because only loving psychos are gonna make them and loving psychos are going to make something interesting at the very least, even if its not good

you make a good point

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
I discovered that a neighbor kid was color blind when he was playing Left 4 Dead and kept referring to things that were red as green and vise-versa. He hadn't known. His MOM hadn't known.

Thanks, Valve!

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
speaking of total conversions:
The original Brain Bread was one of the best zombie games ever, but only on a full server.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Jawless idiot old man: My frail retard fingers cannot play pac-man. Video games are not art.

Critic Worshipping Retard: Hmm yes true.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Meme Emulator posted:

If it wasn't for pyschos going apeshit on games we never would have had Morrowind aka the Best Elder Scroll

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

basic hitler posted:

basically a good game mod is a utilitarian sort of thing. keeping things kinda modern on an old game, or making sure everything works okay on newer systems. Maybe making colorblind friendly textures for games that don't do it themselves. a bad game mod is accessory bloat, pointless feature changes, and things that bypass gameplay.

A good person is moral in all things, including their mod collection. Don't waste precious bits of this miracle of technology on anything that would excessively sully the art of the creator's gold edition.

Mods that fix terrible design decisions are good. "Oh the game wants me to warp back to town through two load screens so I can spend a trivial amount of money repairing stuff?" Nah.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

basic hitler posted:

I installed a mod for the Witcher 3 that picks all the flowers so that I don't have to. I don't really even need them because of the way alchemy works but the minimap, it bothers me.

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Mods that fix terrible design decisions are good. "Oh the game wants me to warp back to town through two load screens so I can spend a trivial amount of money repairing stuff?" Nah.

no you see, I saw a mod where they gave the molerat real boobs, therefore I think 99% of mods are boob mods.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
The mod also gave my horse boobs and replaced my swords with boobs

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

cheating is not bypassing bad game design man. repairing is not supposed to be something you can just click a button for. They want you to stop when your poo poo gets hosed up, or try out different armor/weapons you've picked up, or go back in town or w/e, sell your stuff, see if there's any side poo poo you wanna do. why not just turn on godmode and rampage through content if you're not gonna accept any fail states?

witcher 3 does it right like it does a lot of stuff. You can pay a little for repairs from a smith in a town or you can use up (relatively) expensive on the fly consumables.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

basic hitler posted:

cheating is not bypassing bad game design man. repairing is not supposed to be something you can just click a button for. They want you to stop when your poo poo gets hosed up, or try out different armor/weapons you've picked up, or go back in town or w/e, sell your stuff, see if there's any side poo poo you wanna do. why not just turn on godmode and rampage through content if you're not gonna accept any fail states?

witcher 3 does it right like it does a lot of stuff. You can pay a little for repairs from a smith in a town or you can use up (relatively) expensive on the fly consumables.
Or I can not waste my time and have both. You get unlimited repairs if you wait for a load screen. I made it load faster with a mod, so fast I don't notice it!!!

Repairing equipment has never been fun in any video (or tabletop) game its ever been in and they all just do it because I don't know, ultima 2 or whatever the gently caress did it first.

Kromlech
Jun 28, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
If you support mandatory equipment repairs but don't also support having hunger/thirst/sleep/exhaustion from walking around too much than you're a hypocrite. If you do want that sort or hyper-realistic sim bullshit than you have poor taste in games.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Kromlech posted:

If you support mandatory equipment repairs but don't also support having hunger/thirst/sleep/exhaustion from walking around too much than you're a hypocrite. If you do want that sort or hyper-realistic sim bullshit than you have poor taste in games.

Dull brain: No repairs
Glowing cosmic brain: mandatory cheap repairs
pulsating galactic brain: no repair mechanic at all and all equipment crumbles into dust without recourse

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Repairing in the Witcher 3 annoyed me greatly so I modded it out. Turned out the game was still boring even with that problem solved. Garbage combat. Oh but it's a huge world and there's so much to explore no there isn't you drat clown everything on the map is labeled with helpful icons.

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

Meme Emulator posted:

Dull brain: No repairs
Glowing cosmic brain: mandatory cheap repairs
pulsating galactic brain: no repair mechanic at all and all equipment crumbles into dust without recourse

Isn't that third one basically the new Zelda game?

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

new phone who dis posted:

There's a couple of games that do it and it's always annoying

Kromlech
Jun 28, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

new phone who dis posted:

yes, and it was an absolutely terrible design decision and i hope whoever made it gets shitcanned

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Kromlech posted:

i'm not even following my own prescription honestly. i just think people should be wary of bypassing game systems because of some mild irritation. Every single game loop is just some poo poo that's been ripped off from older gambling games. irritation is playing the part of losing money, but not at a rate you think can't be recovered with your "skill". These systems are really good at getting you, the player, to enjoy the game, by releasing dopamine into your brain when things happen. as good as a skinner box makes a pigeon able to drive a bomb into a target. Part of the loop that causes this are fail states and periods of time where you're not being overstimulated with popping off grenades into a sea of feral ghouls or whatever. Some games do it better than others, and some games do it by simulating real life downtime activities, like equipment wear, or being broke in the game, and the need for getting money to pay for repairs so you can find the big shiny to replace it it is sorta real, but not really. it's all window dressing, but having a near perfect simulation of those sorts of things will cause most people to not want to play. But if your brain is weird or complicated, you might actually really like detailed survival simulations, but maybe you're like me and just like sorta-detailed survival simulation, and I don't want to actually account for all the glue and duct tape and Yao-Guai rear end i'd actually need every time i want to mod a gun in Fallout 4.

that "oh i can go repair, sell poo poo, and craft a bit and go at the 450 more hours of game tomorrow." is designed to keep you from checking under the hood and realizing a game like Fallout 4 has a lot more in common with minecraft than Fallout 3. it can make you suddenly hate a game when you figure out what's running under the hood isn't that fun.

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
I'm not going to read that entire post but I thought Fallout new vegas did all of that perfectly.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

its not worth reading but i agree with that generally. Caesars legion sucks and is underdeveloped but everything else is the real fallout 3

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
Tabitha was the best thing in any fallout game.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

basic hitler posted:

and things that bypass gameplay.

Lots of game features are not gameplay, but rather busywork put into a game to prolong it or to trick your brain into thinking its playing a game when in reality you are just doing arbitrary chores to allow you access to more gameplay. Skipping that stuff actually makes these games more about gameplay than they would be otherwise.

quote:

that "oh i can go repair, sell poo poo, and craft a bit and go at the 450 more hours of game tomorrow." is designed to keep you from checking under the hood and realizing a game like Fallout 4 has a lot more in common with minecraft than Fallout 3. it can make you suddenly hate a game when you figure out what's running under the hood isn't that fun.

But those things are THE reason why FO4 has more to do with Minecraft than with FO. If they removed all the feature bloat, the game would actually be smoother, and more dynamic. The annoyance from what's running under the hood comes from the arbitrary ways the game tries to waste your time on pointless chores.

steinrokkan fucked around with this message at 10:31 on Jul 14, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

this thread is getting very bad