Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Sun and Moon use exorbitantly high-polygon models for all the pokemon. It also renders the trainers during battle. If you've got a double battle going on and the pokemon fighting in it are ones with complex designs, you'll notice some pretty severe framerate issues. This is presumably why they removed triple and rotation battles. Ultimately, though, it's fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

The models were the same ones they used in X/Y I think, having the trainer appear in battle probably doesn't help things though. The theory I hear is that they basically tried to future proof them with little regard for the current gen.

Avalerion fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Jul 11, 2017

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

according to wokegamers.net the average in battle frame rate is 10, which is objectively worse than that very first video of a horse galloping

Alpha Phoenix
Feb 26, 2007

That is a peckin' lot of bird...
:kazooieass::kazooieass::kazooieass:

Bongo Bill posted:

Sun and Moon use exorbitantly high-polygon models for all the pokemon. It also renders the trainers during battle. If you've got a double battle going on and the pokemon fighting in it are ones with complex designs, you'll notice some pretty severe framerate issues. This is presumably why they removed triple and rotation battles. Ultimately, though, it's fine.

This is also why no 3d, and lag on 2ds. It used the extra 3d processing power to push the limits of the system instead.

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?
I feel silly for not liking black and white for being different from MY CHILDHOOD EXPERIENCES. I picked up heart gold and Black 2, that will keep me occupied until I get sun or moon. I'm thinking sun.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

Blooming Brilliant posted:

Unrelated but X/Y also had a mandatory poo poo desert section, which is the least fun I've ever had in a Pokemon game.

I really don't remember this part. When was it?

This seriously reinforces XY as the blandest games because I played it twice and can't even remember the Gym types. I know the first is Bug, the last is Ice, the middle town is Electric and there was a Fairy type leader with a coold design.

Personally I really liked ORAS expanded storyline, but that was probably because I played AS which has the best villain team, whereas OR has some nerds.

Plus Secret Bases. If a Pokemon game has secret bases, it's a good Pokemon game by definition.

But overall I agree SuMo has the better story out of them all despite holding you like a clingy girlfriend for the first 2 hours.

The rest of the game is very enjoyable (with the exception of Master Rank Battle Royal in which the AI plain cheats :mad:) but most important is this

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Things may come to those who wait...but only the things left by those who hustle.

The desert was the poo poo with the dust-storm and the power plant or w/e, and was story gated (along with half of the city) until you'd done the Coumarine gym.

Also, bring back contests imo

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

Big Bad Beetleborg posted:

The desert was the poo poo with the dust-storm and the power plant or w/e, and was story gated (along with half of the city) until you'd done the Coumarine gym.

Ok, I remember that you chased Team Flare there and also there being like 4 different power plants but you only being able to access one of them and nothing ever came out of the other 3.

But I don't remember anything particularly bad or annoying happening in that section. Was it a desert maze section?

edit: Wait, was this the section with a huge encounter rate if you stepped outside of the path and wind that pushed you outside of the path? If so, then yeah, now I remember this being annoying and was happy to have repressed that memory, so thank you SA :mad:

lezard_valeth fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Jul 12, 2017

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?

lezard_valeth posted:

I really don't remember this part. When was it?

This seriously reinforces XY as the blandest games because I played it twice and can't even remember the Gym types. I know the first is Bug, the last is Ice, the middle town is Electric and there was a Fairy type leader with a coold design.

Personally I really liked ORAS expanded storyline, but that was probably because I played AS which has the best villain team, whereas OR has some nerds.

Plus Secret Bases. If a Pokemon game has secret bases, it's a good Pokemon game by definition.

But overall I agree SuMo has the better story out of them all despite holding you like a clingy girlfriend for the first 2 hours.

The rest of the game is very enjoyable (with the exception of Master Rank Battle Royal in which the AI plain cheats :mad:) but most important is this

Not gonna lie, the owl with a bow tie is what made me want to play again.

OgreNoah
Nov 18, 2003

There were occasional frame rate issues with ORAS triples in the Battle Maison or whatever, with or without 3D.

I seriously miss triple battles.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

OgreNoah posted:

There were occasional frame rate issues with ORAS triples in the Battle Maison or whatever, with or without 3D.

I seriously miss triple battles.

:yeah:

I had a relatively good Trick Room team in ORAS of Dusclops, Klefki, Conkeldurr, Mega Slowbro, Talonflame and Reuniclus. With so many good but slow af pokes added this generation (and Talonflame's nerf) I was really looking forward to Triple Battles only to find them gone.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

All the 3DS Pokemon games run like hot garbage the moment you introduce more then one pokemon on screen.

SuMo's the worst for it cause it's a major feature and they decided that naw they don't need to fix that.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

holding hands is cool as hell and makes your next attack 50% stronger

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

the true power of totem pokemon is that they tank the framerate

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Literally the only reason I wanted Pokemon Switch was so it could have triple & rotation battles without making GBS threads itself trying to render these super detailed pokemon.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

Ruggington posted:

holding hands is cool as hell and makes your next attack 50% stronger

You kid, but that Alomomola + Totem Wishiwashi in the rain can setup some annoying combos if you use an ingame team. If Wishiwashi didn't have trash tier speed it would be a wake up boss fight at that point in the game.

As it is, the hardest Totem ironically is probably Gumshoos due to your limited stats and moves at that point (whereas Raticate sports a 4x weakness to fighting and you can get a Machop right outside the Trial site).

Lurantis sets up it's own demise with Sunny day, Salazzle has a crippling ground weakness paired with low defense stats (and is fought at a level range in which a Mudbray probably knows both Bulldoze and High Horsepower), Vikavolt is slow and it's adds are non threatening, Mimikyu and it's adds get walled by Komala, and Kommo gets walled and creamed by Granbull you can catch in any of the previous routes.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
USUM Special Edition box revealed:

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Neat! I'm excited to see what the cases for the Switch version look like. Do you think they'll have different box art?

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
Yeah here is the Switch version box art:

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Man this poo poo is reminding me of Kyurem all over again.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
I like the theory that the USUM box legends aren't Solgaleo and Lunala with Necrozma armor, but just Necrozma who's only projecting holograms of Solgaleo and Lunala. Fits its prism light refraction theme perfectly.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

everyone knows solgaleleo is stylish and baller. what this necrozma forme dares to ask is, "What if it actually sucked"

Dynastesaurus
Oct 22, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NvDtFNTzNSk
Pokemon is kinda creepy.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

what the hell

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

oddium posted:

everyone knows solgaleleo is stylish and baller. what this necrozma forme dares to ask is, "What if it actually sucked"

Indeed. At first my reaction was "this looks ugly, maybe if it didn't have those weird arms sticking out as appendixes" but then upon seeing an edit of what it would look like without them it still was just 2edgy4u.

No way around it, the Necrozma fusions look bad so they better have super broken stats and abilities otherwise I'm sticking Necrozma on opposite end boxes from my good friend Nebby

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Anyone know what the Unown spell out?

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Electric Phantasm posted:

Anyone know what the Unown spell out?

"Nani ka ga okoru?"

"Something will happen?"

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
Question: Is there a legit way I can get a Totodile with it's HA and an apricorn ball/beast ball?

You can capture Totodile through Island Scan but it doesn't have it's HA, is there a way I can set up a breeding chain to get both?

edit: vvvv Sweet, thanks! Now I can get my friend Totodile inside a Friend Ball.

lezard_valeth fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Jul 13, 2017

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

lezard_valeth posted:

Question: Is there a legit way I can get a Totodile with it's HA and an apricorn ball/beast ball?

You can capture Totodile through Island Scan but it doesn't have it's HA, is there a way I can set up a breeding chain to get both?

I think that if both parents are the same species then there's a 50/50 of either passing down their pokeball.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Improbable Lobster posted:

I think that if both parents are the same species then there's a 50/50 of either passing down their pokeball.

Yup. Put a totodile in the right ball with a totodile with the HA and you can get what you want.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Bongo Bill posted:

Ever tried to pet a giant pokemon in refresh? Hooo boy. You wanna see framerate issues? I've had the "super happy heart popping" emote be completely out of sync with the sound effects for it when triggering it off a Reshiram or Rayquaza.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
The shiny Tapu Koko event is now live on mystery gift in EU/UK.

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

less laughter posted:

The shiny Tapu Koko event is now live on mystery gift in EU/UK.

Uh, not fair! I want a black thunder chicken!!

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
then you could've nicknamed it Black Bolt

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

less laughter posted:

then you could've nicknamed it Black Bolt

Black Bawk

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

N+1th Doctor caught Pokerus before leaving Haoli City. All but one of her Pokemon on her team are already over it.
Ever try explaining that mechanic to a 6yo with ADHD?

"okay, honey, take this one out of the box. Go battle. Then PUT IT RIGHT BACK IN THE BOX"

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

Nth Doctor posted:

N+1th Doctor caught Pokerus before leaving Haoli City. All but one of her Pokemon on her team are already over it.
Ever try explaining that mechanic to a 6yo with ADHD?

"okay, honey, take this one out of the box. Go battle. Then PUT IT RIGHT BACK IN THE BOX"

I think the real dilemma here is whether she should be "N-plus-oneth" or "N-plus-first."

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

hangedman1984 posted:

Uh, not fair! I want a black thunder chicken!!

No problem, it's available in North America now too. Just go to Mystery Gift and Internet.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

I already have a timid koko, what nature should the shiny one be?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red Metal
Oct 23, 2012

Let me tell you about Homestuck

Fun Shoe
It's forced Timid.