Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

duckfarts posted:

e: loving lolololol 104's too loving cheap to get a proper SSL cert lololol
oh if only it were only 104 that was that poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

If people are asking about HESS I'll bring up my post just about when I left them

quote:

HESS can be an incredible hit or miss situation. The actual teaching portion is like how I describe it to my friends back home: it's like you're a substitute teacher who sees the same class every week. You don't come up with any lessons but do all the homework. I've been teaching at the same branch for over two years now, and I can say with all honesty that I like going to work there everyday. I would like to keep working there for longer. I adore my coworkers and kids. They've also got me doing two other classes for them inside a junior high school and those are pretty good too, for the most part. I also get sent out on alot of all day-excursions where you teach huge groups in public schools, and those were easy money (all outside HESS contracted stuff pays more and get gas per diems that will fill up your scooter for the week. ) That being said, I have also been pretty screwed by them big time on one occasion : forced to drive an hour out of town to teach an adult class of engineers with no plan of any kind given to me (with the reason given that they were supposed to buy a book with the course but they didn't want to, so come up with your own poo poo. ) When that happened, my regular school branch always had my back and tried to help me whenever she could. When I have been farmed out to sub at other branches, my experiences were... Not as good. One branch in particular, which has a reputation about being lovely, was hell everytime I went there. Others ranged from fine to this sucks. My roommate, who also works for HESS, has had a really lovely time with upper area management who continually try to screw him, and he's finally had enough and plans to quit once I get back from vacation (because he is subbing all my classes for a month because they literally don't have anywhere for him to work right now. He agrees with me that my school is great and his other schools treated him much worse.) I would go into more detail If you want but let's just say that he really hates HESS now. If you're in the need to save alot of money in the first year, you probably won't (with the expensive places they find you when you get there, and startup costs, Im pretty sure I lost money overall even with my parents help. ) if you move into a real place after, even on a HESS paycheck you should be saving a fifth at least.

About the split shifts thing, they make you send a contract when you get there about how many hours you must average a week and if you are doing Kindy. For the most part, if you sign a no-kindy contract, you won't do it unless your branch is a sleazy gently caress. However, you may get Jump classes during regular hours, which is alot like a kindy class but only two hours. I've only subbed jump, and if you're problem is with little kids climbing all over you and not the time issue, you will hate that.

I assume they still start at 650 an hour for classes, with most people having a 20 hour a week schedule. I would actually recommend it for people if you've never done EFL in Asia before because it will give you a cohort of people you can interact with who are all on your level and provide alot of help in finding you a place to live.

politicorific
Sep 15, 2007

duckfarts posted:

there's usually a technical writer position somewhere if you wanna do a jobby job, your writing isn't poo poo, and you're not technically incompetent

try checking 104.com.tw or sometimes forumosa.com

Prime advice! Would follow again!

Here are those links in case your Chinese is lovely:

https://104.com.tw/jobbank/joblist/joblist.cfm?keyword=technical%20writer&jobsource=n104bank1&ro=0&order=1

http://tw.forumosa.com/c/forumosafieds/jobs

Jobs also appear on these Facebook groups:

Foreigners in Taipei 外國人在台北
Non Teaching Jobs in Taiwan
Foreigners society in Taiwan
Taiwan Startup Stadium

Advice #1: If you are not scummy scum, you can befriend quite a few people using Tinder, Tan Tan, Bumble, HelloTalk, Coffee Meets Bagel, Meet-up groups, language exchanges, and other social networking apps. People have tried to recruit me using these and I've passed on the opportunities to others. I've found out about proof-reading jobs for law firms, online sales jobs, and other marketing jobs this way. Otherwise, behave yourself by making friends and you will start getting "pro"-tier information from your Taiwanese network about unlisted work - which happened to me - or jobs posted on PTT, the Taiwanese Internet ghetto, which is better than the Korean Internet ghetto, naver.com.

Advice #2: If you are seeking any job I'd recommend not getting heavily invested with foreigners who are studying here (study abroad, Chinese language course, or MA/PHD students) or associating too much with Taiwanese university students. They are rarely a path to employment and are often freaking out about their post-university employment prospects.

Advice #3: Teaching is a dead end. You need to transition from teaching ASAP. This is coming from someone with a TEFL/TESOL MA who taught for 6+ years in Korea. I still lead a weekly English discussion group, but that exchange yields me new friends, closer relationships with my coworkers, hours and hours of Chinese practice should I want it, makes me look like a good employee, and gives me help with all manner of life tasks.

Here are a couple other useful Facebook groups for anyone new to Taiwan:

Taipei: Buy, sell, trade
Looking for Roommates or Apartments in Taipei and Taiwan.

More house rental websites: (Use the translate button in the address bar from Chrome)
https://rent.housefun.com.tw
http://www.century21.com.tw/index/
https://rent.591.com.tw/

For me, Taiwan is the land of milk and honey. The help and advice from goons gave me a great foundation, which I built off of and am now thriving.

Get on the LINE group and there will be plenty of people who are interested in helping a goon settle in.

This info needs to be added to the OP.

duckfarts posted:

e: loving lolololol 104's too loving cheap to get a proper SSL cert lololol

I'm a bit suspicious of why they are using a self-signed certificate. The conspiracy theorist in me speculates they are selling access to the private keys to large Taiwanese firms to keep tabs on their employees' activity, but it's probably just a case of Hanlon's razor. Regardless it does not look good for the MAJOR job portal in Taiwan to have really lovely security practices.

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

GoutPatrol posted:

I assume they still start at 650 an hour for classes, with most people having a 20 hour a week schedule. I would actually recommend it for people if you've never done EFL in Asia before because it will give you a cohort of people you can interact with who are all on your level and provide alot of help in finding you a place to live.

Agreed in general except that 650 is two years' pay rises at best.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
How 'bout that rain?

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Rain loving blows and scootering 20 minutes to work in it sucks

chiyosdad
May 5, 2004

"I wish I were a bird!"
Alright, I managed to make it here. Who wants to grab a beer?

politicorific
Sep 15, 2007

chiyosdad posted:

Alright, I managed to make it here. Who wants to grab a beer?

Do you have cell service so you can get line, make an account and register an id? If yes, post here.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Yeah, post a line ID (or PM the ID to one of us) and we'll see what's up

chiyosdad
May 5, 2004

"I wish I were a bird!"
Hit me up at todorodo

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Hello Taiwan goons. I'll be on holiday in your province in September for two weeks (10/9 - 24/9), anything special going on around that time? Is that food map that was posted earlier still maintained / accurate? Most of the time I'll be stuffing things in my mouth, so it'd be grand if I could rely on that.

Also: How's the Airbnb situation over there, compared to hotels or minsu (in fact I have no idea what a minsu is except that it's a Taiwanese thing)?

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

whoops

GoutPatrol fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Jul 13, 2017

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Jeoh posted:

Hello Taiwan goons. I'll be on holiday in your province in September for two weeks (10/9 - 24/9), anything special going on around that time? Is that food map that was posted earlier still maintained / accurate? Most of the time I'll be stuffing things in my mouth, so it'd be grand if I could rely on that.

Also: How's the Airbnb situation over there, compared to hotels or minsu (in fact I have no idea what a minsu is except that it's a Taiwanese thing)?

Nothing big happening then, I think, and I've heard that Airbnb is fine here (never had to use it myself).

CaptainEO
Sep 24, 2007

Found Something Great Here
AirBnB is great in Taipei. I've stayed in several nice places for much less $$ than a hotel of similar quality. There are even some folks building little real-estate empires, buying a bunch of flats, decorating them, and constantly renting them out (shout out to "Ms. A" who has been a great host).

As for any AirBnB, do check photos and reviews carefully. There appear to be some low-end hotels/hostels around Taipei listing rooms as if they are full flats, and some "hosts" seem to have put no thought into the livability of a space before listing it. This sort of thing is easy to avoid if you search carefully.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Awesome. I saw some really cheap hotels in Taipei (and then found out they're capsule hotels, so I'll never fit in there with my giant Dutch body), but Airbnb is usually preferable.

I'm flying into Songshan, so with some luck I'll just be able to walk to the place I'm staying. Unless you guys would recommend a better area to stay?

I guess I should install LINE too while I'm at it.

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

Jeoh posted:

Hello Taiwan goons. I'll be on holiday in your province in September for two weeks (10/9 - 24/9), anything special going on around that time?

Nice touch!

sentimental snail
Nov 22, 2007

DID YOU SEE MY
PEYOTE QUEEN?

convincing yourself is the first step

CaptainEO
Sep 24, 2007

Found Something Great Here

Jeoh posted:

I'm flying into Songshan, so with some luck I'll just be able to walk to the place I'm staying. Unless you guys would recommend a better area to stay?

There is an MRT (subway) station at Songshan airport so you're set on transportation. Anywhere in Taipei is probably fine. I'd recommend being near Taipei Main Station, Gongguan, or eastward towards Taipei 101 for plenty of things to do.

CaptainEO fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Jul 14, 2017

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Don't count on airbnb, apparently they just changed the law so "unregistered" people renting out property online (read: people running airbnbs) will be liable for pretty decent fines.

As for things, i know 10/9 is the final night of the jazz festival in Taichung, but that might be a bit of a rush day one

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

TetsuoTW posted:

Don't count on airbnb, apparently they just changed the law so "unregistered" people renting out property online (read: people running airbnbs) will be liable for pretty decent fines.

As for things, i know 10/9 is the final night of the jazz festival in Taichung, but that might be a bit of a rush day one

I thought the new mayor changed the name of it last year.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

CaptainEO posted:

There is an MRT (subway) station at Songshan airport so you're set on transportation. Anywhere in Taipei is probably fine. I'd recommend being near Taipei Main Station, Gongguan, or eastward towards Taipei 101 for plenty of things to do.

Ah sweet. Good to know where to look, thanks!

I won't be in Taichung in time for the jazz festival unfortunately, I'll be stuck in Xiamen at the time.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

First blackout I've ever experienced in Taiwan. very interesting being in a dark night market.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
I've blacked out in Taiwan plenty of times.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Atlas Hugged posted:

I've blacked out in Taiwan plenty of times.

yeah but nobody cared about that

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
Hey Taiwan thread! One of my best friends is getting married soon in Taiwan. We are both from central California and she was born in Taiwan, so I have no good source for understanding how to navigate this poo poo. It's kind of freaking me out. Please help.

1) Is there anything I should know about the wedding? What type of dress code is expected? Is there a different standard to adhere to as a foreigner?

I assume that standards change based on class- for better or worse, most people at this wedding would be considered in the upper class. I wouldn't mention it but I assume that changes the answers you may give.

2) I am told that karaoke is a huge deal. I have a decent singing voice, so I'm trying to figure out what songs you would be able to choose from the machines. Is there a list somewhere, or are there any golden rules to follow when trying to figure out what songs a karaoke place might have? Anything in general to know about karaoke?

If I could practice the songs beforehand that would be ideal.

3) anything else I should know? We will be there in early October. What type of clothing is recommended at that time?

Anyways, I don't even know. Help meee

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
You're a foreigner, so dress the way you'd dress for a wedding in the US unless you get instructed not to. Even if the bride and groom wear traditional costumes there almost certainly isn't going to be any expectation that you do.

For karaoke, it might be different if they're loaded and get a great karaoke setup but from my experience with karaoke here, brush up on the Eagles and Billy Joel.

It'll be warm by most standards (temperatures in the 70s) in early October so dress for that. It'll probably rain at least once while you're here.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

You could also ask your friend how formal/not formal it is?? That especially changes a lot just based on who is getting married.

I can tell you from my experience going to Chinese/Taiwanese/HK friends' weddings, most people who attend but aren't getting married or in the wedding party wear like a nice shirt at best, but sometimes they want everyone to dress up more? The standard is a lot less formal than in Europe or North America.

Also you didn't mention it at all, but hongbao giving is almost mandatory in these weddings. Maybe cuz you're a foreigner you can skip it??? These are red envelopes with money inside, normally some denomination with a lot of 8's or at least no 4's is the general amount. When I went to a Taiwanese friend's wedding (in the mainland tho) we got wedding cookies(喜饼)when handing over hong baos which was a fun thing.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!
If you're thinking of practicing for KTV, you're putting way more effort into it than anyone else. They'll probably have that one artist you liked growing up, just not the song you remember liking.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Taima posted:

Hey Taiwan thread! One of my best friends is getting married soon in Taiwan. We are both from central California and she was born in Taiwan, so I have no good source for understanding how to navigate this poo poo. It's kind of freaking me out. Please help.

1) Is there anything I should know about the wedding? What type of dress code is expected? Is there a different standard to adhere to as a foreigner?

I assume that standards change based on class- for better or worse, most people at this wedding would be considered in the upper class. I wouldn't mention it but I assume that changes the answers you may give.

2) I am told that karaoke is a huge deal. I have a decent singing voice, so I'm trying to figure out what songs you would be able to choose from the machines. Is there a list somewhere, or are there any golden rules to follow when trying to figure out what songs a karaoke place might have? Anything in general to know about karaoke?

If I could practice the songs beforehand that would be ideal.

3) anything else I should know? We will be there in early October. What type of clothing is recommended at that time?

Anyways, I don't even know. Help meee
1) You need to wear chinese style jacket and pants, preferably red or blue, so you stand out as the weird idiot foreigner. Wearing a suit should be fine, don't go too nuts; you probably shouldn't look better than the groom so don't dandy up too much. I'm assuming you're going to a hotel banquet and not a block party; if you're going to a block party, congratulations and tell me when and where it is.

2) KTV is a big deal and chances are you'll have an afterparty visit to one; they're generally about singing as a background to drinking and mostly a fun hangout time. If you want to practice something, practice cheesy pop songs from the 90s and 2000s and/or old songs. Off the top of my head, you'll have access to hits such as
  • Barbie Girl
  • Genie in a Bottle
  • Country Roads
  • Like any Elton John song that's been in a movie soundtrack
  • Michael Jackson songs
  • The main hit song that Westlife/Backstreet Boys/some other boy band did
  • Time After Time
  • Toxic
  • Torn
  • What's Going On
  • that one sister sledge song
  • that mr big song
  • and many more!
Be prepared for some of the songs to have weird timing or keys. Places with a better song selection exist (went to a place with New Order and Depeche Mode, among others), but they're specific and hard to find; definitely not one of the main chain ones.

3) Probably still hot/warm. How much time do you have? Is your friend going to have time to take you around or will you do some exploring on your own? Anything you want to do or see?

Magna Kaser posted:

Also you didn't mention it at all, but hongbao giving is almost mandatory in these weddings. Maybe cuz you're a foreigner you can skip it??? These are red envelopes with money inside, normally some denomination with a lot of 8's or at least no 4's is the general amount. When I went to a Taiwanese friend's wedding (in the mainland tho) we got wedding cookies(喜饼)when handing over hong baos which was a fun thing.

Don't skip red envelopes; a lot of why it's there is because it's not only a form of congratulations and such, it's also helping pay for you being there at the banquet (weddings aren't really weddings here, they're giant loving banquets and the actual wedding is usually signing a piece of paper). If it's a close friend and you're going by yourself, I'd suggest 2800, 3600 NTD if you're bringing a significant other. I can give you lower amounts that are suitable if you think that's too high, but yeah no you're flying over here to attend so that's a pretty good sign of how close you are to them so just do it. You can get red envelopes from most convenience stores in the weird stationary section.

You know what? 3600 whether you're coming with someone or not.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
You should be able to find Dreams (Cranberries), Man on the Moon, The Gambler, Let it Be, American Pie, Happy Birthday, and You Are My Sunshine at most KTVs.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know

Magna Kaser posted:

You could also ask your friend how formal/not formal it is??

He has no real idea. He said to wear a dress shirt and slacks. I doubt he knows what the gently caress he's doing but I'll do what he says I guess.

And yes I will totally be giving a hongbao, thank you for reminding me! Duck your information on this is invaluable as well. 3,600 sounds good to me. My girlfriend isn't coming but that's about what I would throw down as a single person at a wedding in the USA.

duckfarts posted:

1) You need to wear chinese style jacket and pants, preferably red or blue, so you stand out as the weird idiot foreigner. Wearing a suit should be fine, don't go too nuts; you probably shouldn't look better than the groom so don't dandy up too much. I'm assuming you're going to a hotel banquet and not a block party; if you're going to a block party, congratulations and tell me when and where it is.

2) KTV is a big deal and chances are you'll have an afterparty visit to one; they're generally about singing as a background to drinking and mostly a fun hangout time. If you want to practice something, practice cheesy pop songs from the 90s and 2000s and/or old songs. Off the top of my head, you'll have access to hits such as
  • Barbie Girl
  • Genie in a Bottle
  • Country Roads
  • Like any Elton John song that's been in a movie soundtrack
  • Michael Jackson songs
  • The main hit song that Westlife/Backstreet Boys/some other boy band did
  • Time After Time
  • Toxic
  • Torn
  • What's Going On
  • that one sister sledge song
  • that mr big song
  • and many more!
Be prepared for some of the songs to have weird timing or keys. Places with a better song selection exist (went to a place with New Order and Depeche Mode, among others), but they're specific and hard to find; definitely not one of the main chain ones.

3) Probably still hot/warm. How much time do you have? Is your friend going to have time to take you around or will you do some exploring on your own? Anything you want to do or see?

1) I am not sure where it is but I don't believe it's a block party. It will probably be high end if I had to guess from the people involved.

2) That is an amazing write up of KTV, thank you!

3) We will be there for close to a week so we have tons of time to do things, and I assume that my friend and his wife will be with me, but I like to get multiple opinions on what to do. I'm sure his wife will know of some things.

In terms of what I might like: interesting culture is fun, I loving love good food, I am a big fan of drinking and loving around. Ocean attractions could be fun, but we live at the beach so it's not a priority.

Atlas Hugged posted:

You should be able to find Dreams (Cranberries), Man on the Moon, The Gambler, Let it Be, American Pie, Happy Birthday, and You Are My Sunshine at most KTVs.

You guys rock. I really appreciate the responses.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Atlas Hugged posted:

Happy Birthday

be careful which one you pick because one of them isn't the song you're thinking of, ha ha ha hey hey hey

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
Oh poo poo they totally have the Taiwanese cover of YMCA as well. It's all in English, but the boyband singing it clearly has no idea what the song is about.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Besides flying or taking the train via Taipei / Kaohsiung, is there any way to go from Hualien to Taichung directly? Or should I just grab the bus that goes halfway and turn it into a daytrip there?

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!
I know the buses don't run it, but isn't there a road that links up? I know one of the better maintained roads has been left in disrepair after a few earthquakes and typhoons, but I think it's possible to drive a scooter or car across (though I take it that's not what you want to do.)

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

If I can take a car across one-way that'd work. But doubt that's possible.

Might just adjust my schedule to fly across.

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

Jeoh posted:

If I can take a car across one-way that'd work. But doubt that's possible.

Might just adjust my schedule to fly across.

If I were you I'd adjust my schedule to avoid Taichung, but each to his own v:shobon:v

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Eh the only reason I'm going to Taichung is to stay with a friend.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Hello anyone still in Taipei? And how's the Line chat?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!
Line chat only chat. Though I think we migrated from one group chat to another. Otherwise, most everyone still in the bae area.