Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
It doesn't have anything to do with level or "zone" scaling, and in fact I'm using Static PermaZones together with the SKSE plugin that lets enemies continue scaling right now. The problem with Requiem is that the lower levels (until about 12-15), the player is extremely weak and you end up having to result to cheese to actually level up and get past it.

I think the big downside to Requiem is that the inspiration for it is old games like Baldur's Gate et el that really don't translate well to Skyrim's game systems/engine, and that is the problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Seashell Salesman posted:

I've used SPERG several times and it was an improvement over vanilla but it didn't really do much to address my disappointment with the shallowness of progression in combat abilities (and that's not a knock to it, I don't think it was trying to address that specifically). I'll take a look at Ordinator. Requiem looks like it has the potential to make the progression something enjoyable to me, or it could just make it worse.

Requiem is... really it's own thing. Aside from being massive in scope, and likewise very incompatibility with very much most mods, it fundamentally changes progression. If you're neither a stranger, but rather a fan, of traditional RPG progression where the initial stages of gameplay have you well below competent, and you have to struggle (some/oftentimes SCUM) for what little progression you can, until at some point you hit some sort of thresshold where most content opens up and the power curve sets in. Then requiem may be your thing.

Just remember, it is more toward total conversion than a simple perk/gameplay rebalance.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Gyshall posted:

It doesn't have anything to do with level or "zone" scaling, and in fact I'm using Static PermaZones together with the SKSE plugin that lets enemies continue scaling right now. The problem with Requiem is that the lower levels (until about 12-15), the player is extremely weak and you end up having to result to cheese to actually level up and get past it.

I think the big downside to Requiem is that the inspiration for it is old games like Baldur's Gate et el that really don't translate well to Skyrim's game systems/engine, and that is the problem.

Don't ever compare a masterpiece like bg to a shoddily balanced grindfest like Requiem. Baldurs gate doesn't have nearly the mindnumbing mechanics and relentless difficulty curve Requiem does.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

Don't ever compare a masterpiece like bg to a shoddily balanced grindfest like Requiem. Baldurs gate doesn't have nearly the mindnumbing mechanics and relentless difficulty curve Requiem does.
it's similar in a sense, e.g. not being fun

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

Certainly not comparing it, I'm just quoting from what is on the Requiem :nexus: page.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
A friend of mine loving loves Requiem. I guess I can see the appeal in that kind of ballsack-kicking difficulty challenge abstractly, but the description of it as "the Skyrim version of Cat Mario" that Agents had in the OP draft sounds accurate.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

I tried Requiem once. It wasn't fun. You can't even pick locks without taking perks, but it doesn't tell you this, and it still lets you try, and waste lockpicks. There's just no sweet spot.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Agents are GO! posted:

I tried Requiem once. It wasn't fun. You can't even pick locks without taking perks, but it doesn't tell you this, and it still lets you try, and waste lockpicks. There's just no sweet spot.

Okay that's actually hilarious.

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Holy wow! That "Literally A Person" sure is a cool and good poster. He's smart and witty and he smells like a pure mountain stream. I posted in his thread and I got a FANCY NEW AVATAR!!!!

Gyshall posted:

What are the good static level mods? I didn't see any in the OP.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Agents are GO! posted:

lmao that owns

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

What are the good static level mods? I didn't see any in the OP.

Try Static PermaZones.

Also requiem is good if you enjoy poopsocking a single player rpg i guess

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

The Iron Rose posted:

Okay that's actually hilarious.

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

lmao that owns

:flipoff: :flipoff: :flipoff:

It even lets you turn the lock almost 90 degrees, but there really is no sweetspot, which I confirmed using that lockpick cheat that displays a graph of the sweetspot.

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

it's similar in a sense, e.g. not being fun

Huge slam on BG out of nowhere.

Syd Midnight
Sep 23, 2005

orange juche posted:

Everyone calls it the 'Slab though.

its Sex-Nexus

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007
To be fair, if someone really doesn't have any idea how to pick a lock, that's basically what you SHOULD expect.

Whether or not it's good for game design is another story, but I don't mind so much these days. In fact, I find Requiem works really well with a heavily "survival" focused mod list. Not exactly for the sake of being "hardcore" or even difficult. Just to contextualize some of progression. Early game you're almost entirely incompetent. Barely scraping by just to survive.

Eventually you build up a little momentum and can begin selectively using different tools to work into a build.

Survival elements gradually become mitigated, and you aren't doing simply whatever it takes to survive, and can pick or choose how you want to meet basic needs.

Static world means you are gradually opening up different types of dungeons to 'safely' explore/clear.

Eventually you hit one of those big thressholds where the world is basically your oyster, and you're sort of back to "vanilla" gameplay, excepting you generally have somewhat more interesting NPC types that ask you to be a little (lot) more deliberate/prepared than vanilla, even if that is as simple as carrying around a blade and blunt weapon for different NPC types.

Don't get me wrong. It's absolutely an acquired taste, and I wasn't sad for no Requiem when Special Edition first released. But lack of SKSE64 and therefore no Requiem is basically what prevents me from starting up another game.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
The problem with Requiem isn't the ball crushing difficulty, it's the lack of any feedback or medium in game to explain their arbitrary design decisions. See the above lock picking thing.

I think only one of the later patches they finally put a book in game that tells you what weapons you need to use to actually damage various creatures.

Also there is an annoying difficulty gap where you can murder everything in the game world except dragons and dragon priests, and they are still orders of magnitude more difficult then anything else. So you'll be clearing a dungeon and everything is a joke except oh great this has a dragon priest who one shots you. Now you have to walk all the way back out because there are no teleportation spells in Skyrim and no shortcuts to the entrance because the base game puts them all after the boss who should be relatively the same level as everything else.

It just becomes a boring grind to get more levels under your belt.

Alasyre
Apr 6, 2009
Emerson Cod, this is probably hush hush, but since since your true loyalty is first and foremost to the SA Forums Skyrim Modding Thread, I figured I'd ask. Are you guys planning on releasing the other Cyrodiil areas individually like Bruma, or are you shooting for a gigantic, load order destroying release? I assume anything else is a long way out, but I want more, more god dammit.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Alasyre posted:

Emerson Cod, this is probably hush hush, but since since your true loyalty is first and foremost to the SA Forums Skyrim Modding Thread, I figured I'd ask. Are you guys planning on releasing the other Cyrodiil areas individually like Bruma, or are you shooting for a gigantic, load order destroying release? I assume anything else is a long way out, but I want more, more god dammit.

individually

Syd Midnight
Sep 23, 2005

What is the current opinion of PerMa? I watched some review videos but they are pretty old and meanwhile it looks like the mod has been updated until recently.

I've been using it, it's arguably better than SPERG, but it's a huge hassle because it needs lots of patches, plus you have to recreate a java patch for it every time you change your load order, and it takes like an hour if you have a lot of mods.

It spices up the game, but SPERG is fine and a lot less work. I'll probably switch back.

NiftyBottle
Jan 1, 2009

radical

Syd Midnight posted:

its Sex-Nexus

Really missed an opportunity to call it Sexus here

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Just started in on Bruma and I have to echo everyone else, it's some incredible work.

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Holy wow! That "Literally A Person" sure is a cool and good poster. He's smart and witty and he smells like a pure mountain stream. I posted in his thread and I got a FANCY NEW AVATAR!!!!
Should I be using the MO from the nexus page or one of the not-yet-released versions from github?

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

For OG Skyrim, MO works fantastic. It's a bit of a pain in the rear end to setup and to deal with some folder shenanegins, but the big benefit is the fact that you can separately choose which textures and meshes overwrite one another. It's a huge advantage for setups with lots of texture mods.

For SSE (and FO4 for that matter) I'd just say gently caress it and use NMM. I used to be a big Mod Organizer partisan, but it's a nightmare to use for FO4 and SSE has both less of a need for big texture mods and I'm not sure how well MO works with it. In any event, it's unnecessary for my use and probably not worth the headache.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

The Iron Rose posted:

For OG Skyrim, MO works fantastic. It's a bit of a pain in the rear end to setup and to deal with some folder shenanegins, but the big benefit is the fact that you can separately choose which textures and meshes overwrite one another. It's a huge advantage for setups with lots of texture mods.

For SSE (and FO4 for that matter) I'd just say gently caress it and use NMM. I used to be a big Mod Organizer partisan, but it's a nightmare to use for FO4 and SSE has both less of a need for big texture mods and I'm not sure how well MO works with it. In any event, it's unnecessary for my use and probably not worth the headache.

i use in-game Bethnet with SSE, idgaf just click on all the mods yeah go go go

e: i appreciate it's an objectively dumb idea but 100 hours in it hasn't bit me in the rear end

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

sebmojo posted:

i use Bethnet with SSE, idgaf just click on all the mods go go go

Right but if you graduate to the the more complicated mods Bethnet is not capable at all. If you never get to that plane of modding though do what's easiest. Tools like MO and NMM arose out of the need to organize mods that dove deeper and deeper into the game, stuff like Bethnet only go so far.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

oh yeah no I would never use beth.net

It was such a pain for FO4 I never even bothered updating any of my mods there after the initial upload, and the utter lack of FOMOD support or ability to upload multiple .esps was a complete killer.

Like occasionally to stroke my own ego, I like counting how many downloads total I have on all my mods (just over a million!) and I don't even bother counting the Beth.net ones because goddamn what a horrid interface.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

sebmojo posted:

i use in-game Bethnet with SSE, idgaf just click on all the mods yeah go go go

e: i appreciate it's an objectively dumb idea but 100 hours in it hasn't bit me in the rear end

this a dude who lives life on the fuckin edge :captainpop:

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Mister Adequate posted:

this a dude who lives life on the fuckin edge :captainpop:

fuckin a

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Somehow I managed to make my perk tree names in game hex numbers (maybe they are meant to be colors?). Are the various strings in the perk tree diagnosable using just like xedit, or is it some fancy resource thing?

e: this fixed it: https://forums.nexusmods.com/index.php?/topic/955584-fffffff-perk-names/

Seashell Salesman fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Jul 12, 2017

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Is there a fix for the horse camera angle thing? Where if you are on a horse, open the map, close the map, you are facing a different direction. I'm on SSE. I searched the Nexus and didn't see anything.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
Heads up, the Bruma mod just got its 1.3 patch.

Allegedly work is now turning to making sure the SSE port is up to snuff, so that should be coming "shortly".

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

RobotDogPolice posted:

I copy/pasted the ENB files into my directory, in addition to a preset I liked, but nothing has happened. What did I gently caress up? I'm using Mod Manager, but as far as I know ENB and SKSE need to be pasted into the games directory.

1) get ENB files from boris' site (d3d9.dll and enbhost.exe) and put in skyrim main folder, not data
2) get preset from wherever, put in skyrim main folder, not data.
3) question your life choices so far
4) configure your enblocal.ini according to STEP
4a) relevant to configuring that - if you're on Windows 10, the Fall update should fix the 4GB memory limit, so if you want to opt into Insiders and get it now, have fun running a beta version of your OS

If everything works, you should see a splash text in the upper left corner when you launch to the main menu talking about enb version ___ and your detected video card. If you don't see this, you probably put your files in the wrong place

if you see an ENB-specific error message, you only put some of the files in the wrong place!

A Magical Lamp
Aug 16, 2010

I've used SPERG several times and it was an improvement over vanilla but it didn't really do much to address my disappointment with the shallowness of progression in combat abilities (and that's not a knock to it, I don't think it was trying to address that specifically). I'll take a look at Ordinator. Requiem looks like it has the potential to make the progression something enjoyable to me, or it could just make it worse.

I really love Requiem and it caught a lot of flak so I'll chime in saying give it a go. It suffers heavily from poor documentation which is the reason for a lot of the hate but it's a hell of a lot more balanced than SPERG, at least in the state it was in when I switched from it. You do need to play by its rules though, you can't treat it like vanilla. If that's not what you're looking for Ordinator is what I'd be using.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

For those looking for a graphics enhancer, I found ReShade to be very intuitive. You just point the installer at the game, and you can tweak settings in real time while playing.

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

A Magical Lamp posted:

I really love Requiem and it caught a lot of flak so I'll chime in saying give it a go. It suffers heavily from poor documentation which is the reason for a lot of the hate but it's a hell of a lot more balanced than SPERG, at least in the state it was in when I switched from it. You do need to play by its rules though, you can't treat it like vanilla. If that's not what you're looking for Ordinator is what I'd be using.

I'm using Ordinator at the moment and it's pretty good. I like the perks a lot better than Vanilla. I may see if I can finally get the MO profile/backup feature to work right and have a foray into Requiem.

On a related note I'm enjoying EnaiSiaion's combat mod, Wildcat. With the "realistic damage" setting combat is so quick and dirty, can't tell if I like it or not. It's a bit like the Warband mod cRPG, when you're starting out at a low level and you just get one-shotted all over the place but it seems fair because when you get lucky you one shot the other guy.

A Magical Lamp
Aug 16, 2010

I'm using Ordinator at the moment and it's pretty good. I like the perks a lot better than Vanilla. I may see if I can finally get the MO profile/backup feature to work right and have a foray into Requiem.

On a related note I'm enjoying EnaiSiaion's combat mod, Wildcat. With the "realistic damage" setting combat is so quick and dirty, can't tell if I like it or not. It's a bit like the Warband mod cRPG, when you're starting out at a low level and you just get one-shotted all over the place but it seems fair because when you get lucky you one shot the other guy.

Yeah if I were using Ordinator I'd be using all of Enai's mods. Dude makes some drat fine stuff.

Emerson Cod
Apr 14, 2004

by Pragmatica

Sky Shadowing posted:

Heads up, the Bruma mod just got its 1.3 patch.

Allegedly work is now turning to making sure the SSE port is up to snuff, so that should be coming "shortly".

Can confirm. Distributed the internal build for testing in the team last night. Won't update on a release date because I've always been overly optimistic but things are looking good so far. There is also a DLC compatibility patch up. It's an early draft but helps clean up a bit of duplication and allows use of some of our new ingredients and recipes in Hearthfire.

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

Emerson Cod posted:

Can confirm. Distributed the internal build for testing in the team last night. Won't update on a release date because I've always been overly optimistic but things are looking good so far. There is also a DLC compatibility patch up. It's an early draft but helps clean up a bit of duplication and allows use of some of our new ingredients and recipes in Hearthfire.

You need to give us a date so we can yell at you if you miss it.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
I've had quests break in weird ways with Bruuma. For instance, the not-mage's guild quest broke when I was supposed to find strange objects. The best I could do was find a blue bubbly particle effect emanating from a non descript bit of wall between the ground floor and basement. The Talos quest also broke after I got my speechcraft high enough to persuade them to keep their heads down. Also The captain of the guard follows me like a lost puppy all over both Cyrodiil AND Skyrim. I think it had something to do with the voice recorder gem quest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Enai-rim is my recommended way to play these days, it is so good and all his mods together are really cohesive and make for a really good experience, without trying to poopsock the game.

I do recommend balancing some of the perks and whatnot with a decent uncapper setting, as well as using SkyTweak on top of everything to tweak. Also AnimalTweaks or similar to make animals hard as gently caress, and Skyrim Immersive Creatures (use the purist MCM option) and OBIS to really make things interesting.