Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

aha reverse psychology motherfuckers lets get that knight going

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Covski posted:

1.e4 d5 2.exd5 Nf6 3.d4 Bg4 4.Bb5+

Your king is in check!

You have 24 hours to decide on a move.
[
Hm, mercurial. First defensive, then aggressive. Fine. This gets them nowhere. Nbd7, because we can afford to lose that knight regardless, while their position improves not at all.

As you've probably all surmised, our attack comes from e6, which is still NOT on the table after Nbd7. We can then in short order let loose our bishop to check the king, queen to check (h4) when their position opens up AND we can then castle queen side to bring our rook straight down the lane for a stacked push-through to threaten the white queen or the king.

At this point, they probably think they've got a pin on our knight. The thing is, our attack doesn't come from there, so we don't need it, nor will that pin survive a queen side castling which is only a few moves away.

Edit: No, wait what the gently caress am I saying. No, we should go c6, and then move the knight to c6 to capture the pawn. Here's why:

We get two things: 1: We get d5 pawn out of the way, which is crucial at this point. We also get the exact same situation, but with the d7 square free for movement, which we will need when we move the queen out and queen side castle.

This is incredibly important, people, this might be where we lose or win the game. Go c6. We need that main corridor of attack. We need to threaten the centre with the knight. If we exchange, we exchange, but we must MUST keep d7 open.

Nice piece of fish fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Jul 14, 2017

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp
After we get that pawn out of the way, we can move e5 or the queen out to threaten the bishop. Loads of options. But we must get rid of that pawn. We must take the center. We cannot go defensive now.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

dude all they have in the center are pawns

pawns are weak

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010
I'm fine with c6 after having it explained why that's better than Nbd7 earlier. At best, White backs off and does something else. At worse, we're both down a pawn and a minor piece.

(if the next moves after are 5. dxc6 bxc6 6. Bxc6+ Nxc6. But somehow I'm not seeing White entirely willing to participate in that little bloodbath.)

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

dude all they have in the center are pawns

pawns are weak

This is proof that you know nothing about chess. Pawns are investments. Not weak.

Also, nice piece of fish, that's not a bad case for C6, but it kind of leaves the queen side pawn structure in ruins, and thus would make a queen's side castle a very poor move.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Davin Valkri posted:

This is proof that you know nothing about chess. Pawns are investments. Not weak.

Also, nice piece of fish, that's not a bad case for C6, but it kind of leaves the queen side pawn structure in ruins, and thus would make a queen's side castle a very poor move.

investments mean nothing if the market crashes, and we are the bull, they are the bear

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Snorb posted:

I'm fine with c6 after having it explained why that's better than Nbd7 earlier. At best, White backs off and does something else. At worse, we're both down a pawn and a minor piece.

(if the next moves after are 5. dxc6 bxc6 6. Bxc6+ Nxc6. But somehow I'm not seeing White entirely willing to participate in that little bloodbath.)

Depends on what they do, yes, but then everything kind of does.

Davin Valkri posted:

Sure, but it does move our rook to the center behind the queen in very short order. We then command the middle totally. If they don't immediately capture the knight. If they do, we can easily castle kingside after we play e6, and at that point the bishop's gone anyway. Simply put, I want the d corridor more than I want our queen side pawn structure.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I'm going to finalize my vote for Pawn to C6. They have the option of either taking our pawn with their bishop and leaving it open to be taken by our pawn next door, or taking our pawn with their center pawn and blocking their check.

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

c6

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

I'M SORRY, OK!? I admit I've made some mistakes, and Jones has clearly paid for them.
But ma'am! Jones' only crime was looking at the wrong files!
I beg of you, don't ship away Jones, he has a wife and kids!

-United Nations Intelligence Service

Worth noting that the pawn to C6 strategy means that at worst we'd capture their bishop and their front-most pawn, all for the cost of a single one of our own pawns.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Changed my vote (edited original post).

Also, tactical genius apparently :v::

Paul.Power posted:

Out of curiosity, what would be the best response to Bb5+? Is it c6, or would that lead to too much of a bloodbath of pawns?

(Assuming full bloodbath route, that would go something like 3.Bb5+ c6 4.dxc6 bxc6 5.Bxc6+ Nxc6, at at the end of it us being down three pawns in total to white's pawn and bishop, but with us having a big tempo advantage from our two developed knights versus their captured bishop. Wrecks our queenside pawns, though. But would White seek to save their bishop and avoid this? Then again, this all explains why Bb5+ would probably be a bad move anyway)

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
I have altered my vote to C6. Pray I don't alter it any further.

idhrendur
Aug 20, 2016

I'm also going to vote c6, but again, I have questions. Assuming they don't Bxc6 and put us back in check, or finally do something to counter our previous moves, why wouldn't we just take their queen? Sure, we lose a bishop in the doing, but that's a worthwhile trade, no?

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Dr. Snark posted:

Worth noting that the pawn to C6 strategy means that at worst we'd capture their bishop and their front-most pawn, all for the cost of a single one of our own pawns.

Not necessarily, because the next move after c6 ought to be knight to c6. It's the "same" as Nbd7, except the corridor is kept free. We want to do this instead because we want our back field cleared for a potential castling.

If they exchange, fine. Then we may have to disregard a queen side castling. If they don't, we attack through the center which we've kept open. Plugging our d corridor would be a mistake at this point, we want the center and we need the center.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

idhrendur posted:

I'm also going to vote c6, but again, I have questions. Assuming they don't Bxc6 and put us back in check, or finally do something to counter our previous moves, why wouldn't we just take their queen? Sure, we lose a bishop in the doing, but that's a worthwhile trade, no?

I'd say yes to taking the queen, but only if their next move isn't an immediate counter to C6.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

idhrendur posted:

It is, absolutely, on the table. But I'm also wanting to prepare for an eventual white king side castling, which will happen immediately after they move the knight on g1. In that case, our second bishop and queen may have a shot at a mate. We'll see.

In any case, the bloodbath means we probably castle kingside and use our rook to support our advance.

E: Actually, after the bloodbath e5 starts looking real good. Look at the position there, if they take the bait we mate them. If they don't, we check them with our bishop to e4. If they block with their bishop, we take the pawn with the queen. If they bring the queen our, we pin the queen.

Nice piece of fish fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Jul 14, 2017

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

I'M SORRY, OK!? I admit I've made some mistakes, and Jones has clearly paid for them.

Nice piece of fish posted:

Not necessarily, because the next move after c6 ought to be knight to c6. It's the "same" as Nbd7, except the corridor is kept free. We want to do this instead because we want our back field cleared for a potential castling.

If they exchange, fine. Then we may have to disregard a queen side castling. If they don't, we attack through the center which we've kept open. Plugging our d corridor would be a mistake at this point, we want the center and we need the center.

Why would we do that when we can go queen to B5, checking their king and guaranteeing that White would be unable to move their bishop and giving us a guaranteed capture with high potential for attacking their back row? Depending on how White moves in the future we could set up a situation where we could take out a rook or knight easily.

Edit: I mean we seem to agree on the current move, it's more what's coming after that is worth talking about.

Dr. Snark fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Jul 14, 2017

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Vote with your conscience. Don't do this to us.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Dr. Snark posted:

Why would we do that when we can go queen to B5, checking their king and guaranteeing that White would be unable to move their bishop and giving us a guaranteed capture with high potential for attacking their back row? Depending on how White moves in the future we could set up a situation where we could take out a rook or knight easily.

Edit: I mean we seem to agree on the current move, it's more what's coming after that is worth talking about.

Because queen to a5 (?) is easily blocked and invites a trade. Bishop to b4 and THEN queen to a5, though...

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I like Nbd6 because it develops another knight, which seems like a solid plan. Also this way our strength slowly concentrates itself in the lower left corner, likely a helpful fortress if needed?

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

Nice piece of fish posted:

Because queen to a5 (?) is easily blocked and invites a trade. Bishop to b4 and THEN queen to a5, though...

Yes it is to A5. What I'm saying is that we aren't trying to attack White's row, but if their attacking bishop stays in the same position after this move (B5) our queen would be right next to it once it checks. Since White will have to block the check, our queen can easily take their bishop as it has no other pieces supporting it and anything White uses to block also wouldn't be able to support it.

Glaive17
Oct 11, 2012

What is there left to discover about donuts...?
Pillbug
I have been convinced to change as well. c6 it is.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Dr. Snark posted:

Yes it is to A5. What I'm saying is that we aren't trying to attack White's row, but if their attacking bishop stays in the same position after this move (B5) our queen would be right next to it once it checks. Since White will have to block the check, our queen can easily take their bishop as it has no other pieces supporting it and anything White uses to block also wouldn't be able to support it.

I get that. It's a possibility we can discuss if we go c6. There's advantage and disadvantage, but the queen has a crucial role right where she is. We'll draw up some boards and discuss possibilites once we see white's next move.

Fake edit: Ah, yes, I see what you're talking about. I like it. It's a crafty move. This is a strong, strong argument for c6.

Actual edit: Except Nc3, which both blocks the check and protects the bishop. We'll see. We can go back and forth on it.

Nice piece of fish fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Jul 14, 2017

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp
The cool thing about keeping the queen where she is is options. There's a development here where if white fucks up and doesn't cover a certain tile, we may have a mate or at very least the queen through that d corridor. That requires white to be dumb once or twice though.

I'm still in optionville and I'd like to keep our options and avenues of attack as open as possible. There are a couple of ways where white can downright lose is they don't play exactly right now. Unfortunately, that's also true for us :v:

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

The polls are close, but neither party occupies a majority in the commons. Vote now for a strong and stable Nbd6 or suffer a coalition of chaos under C6.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!

The polls are close, but neither party occupies a majority in the commons. Vote now for a strong and stable Nbd6 or suffer a coalition of chaos under C6.

Pawn to C6, because I dislike you.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Davin Valkri posted:

Pawn to C6, because I dislike you.

aha reverse psychology motherfuckers lets get that pawn going

i think the pawn has the majority right now

HerpicleOmnicron5 fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Jul 14, 2017

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

i think the pawn has the majority right now

Good. I've theorycrafted the gently caress out of our current position for about five hours now, and I think I have a play that I haven't seen before anywhere. I'll share it after the bloodbath.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I just suggested it because I saw like 3 outcomes for the next move that gave us a beneficial position each time.

I don't know a single named strategy.

UnderFreddy
Oct 9, 2012

GEGENPOSTING

Pawn to c6 it is! Love the theorycrafting on it, so let's see it go.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Pawn to C6 for great justice

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Victory cometh to us, with the Pawn C6 move. Praise Black Team.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Pawn to c6, I'm liking the offense we're mounting right now, so let's make some excellent trades.

Also gently caress the guy who's nearly posted 2 pages worth of posts in a 6 page thread.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Somebody's clearly not gotten two of the memos on the post flood tactic: post lots to intimidate the opposing team + promote team unity

Attacking one another creates a hostile zone, which pulls down our collective team aura. Morale victory is the easiest victory. We need to touch base and sing from the same hymn sheet by the close of play, or else our thought shower is going to be inside the box rather than outside it.

Talow
Dec 26, 2012

c6 because then oh well, we lose a pawn, we get their queen in exchange. Hopefully this isn't a terrible idea.

Covski
Jun 24, 2007

Bringing the forums together with the greatest thread!
C6 wins the vote!

Covski
Jun 24, 2007

1.e4 d5 2.exd5 Nf6 3.d4 Bg4 4.Bb5+ c6

White has 24 hours to decide on a move.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Covski posted:

C6 wins the vote!

Good.

I have to say, this LP is loving exhausting and anxiety-inducing. In chess, every single little move counts and our somewhat unorthodox strategy pretty much allows us zero room for error. I find myself constantly checking and rechecking my logic 5-10 moves down the road, and I'm constantly refreshing this thread to see if some idiot (you may guess who) starts a voting chain reaction before I've had a chance to have my say.

It's very unfortunate that chess seems to trigger every competitive bone in my body all at once, :spergin: It doesn't help that playing against a group makes every move very hard to anticipate.

Could we agree on not voting for at least six hours after we see white's move? Our next move might seem obvious after white takes our pawn, but it isn't and I will explain in detail when the time comes why there's something in particular we ought to be planning for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Covski
Jun 24, 2007

By the way, these are amazing! Going to have to start an art section to the observer thread!

• Locked thread