Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

moist turtleneck posted:

I liked how we found out all the survivalists were still living in tents

and none of them but the militia knew their way around guns??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.

Johnny Truant posted:

and none of them but the militia knew their way around guns??

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=htPpNQpekJk

Acacia REI
Oct 8, 2016

From an interview with showrunner Dave Erickson on FTWD S3:

"With the exception of Alan Page, it's an entirely new group of writers, who all bought into the larger vision, the intention, direction of the show, and I think that's been... that was instrumental."

I figured they brought some new writers in but I didn't know they'd been (almost) entirely replaced. I'm not really surprised though.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
Characters definitely make more sense this season and the cowboys vs. indians thing was actually really well done

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
http://i.imgur.com/JKGdQVG.gifv

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

moist turtleneck posted:

Characters definitely make more sense this season and the cowboys vs. indians thing was actually really well done

What I find most interesting re: my watching experience is that on TWD, when the characters get split up for a season, I fully expect them to get back together. I know they will reunite, and everything leading up to that is just a waste of time, putting off the inevitable till the gang is back together.

On FTWD, we have wholly separate storylines with Madison's family, El Salvidad, and Strand, and I am so engrossed by each one and the different stories they are telling of the apocalypse, I could literally not care if they meet again any time soon. Like I know they will but I have no anticipation of when, and if the show spent 3 years telling 3 separate stories I would be totally fine with that.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

When I saw this on the show it just looked wrong. Who cares about bullets and friendly fire.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

lmfao

you are a god among forums posters

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

I'm amazed people are confused about the nexus where white trash and gun safety meet.

When does that not end in tragedy, or at the very least, a near miss?

Acacia REI
Oct 8, 2016

So I was thinking about both shows and the general mode of operations between Rick and the Clark family and how a lot of people have pointed out that it's not very believable that Madison keeps getting so much authority everywhere she goes. Rick was in the police force before the outbreak so he already had some leadership and survival skills. But has anyone noticed the difference in how the two characters operate? From what I remember, the Ricktatorship will take over a community by simply persuading the majority to follow him. It's very straight-forward. The Clarks, on the other hand, will latch onto a current authority figure and influence/manipulate them from behind the scenes. Madison was a counselor before the outbreak, so she knows at least a little about how different people's minds work.

-Nick never had any influence over La Colonia. That's why the first time he left, no one cared. It was Luciana and the pharmacist that they followed, and Nick got Luciana to follow him.

-Madison was not the leader of the Rosarito Beach Hotel, Elena and Hector were. She just got them to agree with most of she said (having been out in the world as opposed to locked in a hotel since the beginning). Madison & co did earn a fair share of authority with them for being the outside force needed to create peace between the angry, trapped guests and helping clear it of zombies, but it was ultimately still Elena's hotel and she had the final word.

-Madison doesn't -actually- have much influence over Broke Jaw Ranch, but Troy does, and Madison has gotten into his head.

Astroman posted:

On FTWD, we have wholly separate storylines with Madison's family, El Salvidad, and Strand, and I am so engrossed by each one and the different stories they are telling of the apocalypse, I could literally not care if they meet again any time soon. Like I know they will but I have no anticipation of when, and if the show spent 3 years telling 3 separate stories I would be totally fine with that.
I didn't think about it until now but that's exactly how I feel. Every time the characters in TWD get split up, I'm just sitting there week by week impatiently waiting for them to get back together. You already know they will, and most of the time spent in between feels wasted. For me the only memorable moments from any of those arcs were the "Just look at the flowers" episode, Rick biting a guy's throat out, and the introduction of The Kingdom.

FtWD season 2b suffered a bit from this but the new writers are handling the separate characters stories quite well. Despite not being the main focus, I won't have any trouble remembering Strand and Ilene's final conversation/him getting the brand new Jaguar, Daniel's solo episode, Daniel and Strand's temporary reunion, or the cosmonaut/burning of the Abigail. The only thing I'd change would be balancing out their screen time with the Clark/Otto arc a little more.

RedSpider
May 12, 2017

Was anybody else laughing when Madison was giving her killed-her-dad speech? loving cringeworthy. lmao

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

RedSpider posted:

Was anybody else laughing when Madison was giving her killed-her-dad speech? loving cringeworthy. lmao

I was hoping she'd end the whole "There was a little girl. In Alabama." speech with "...and then she took her Daddy's gun and shot him. That girl...was my neighbor Jen. Weird kid. So anyway, that's when I decided to be a guidance counselor."

Acacia REI
Oct 8, 2016

Yeah as soon as she started that story I think I actually physically cringed just a little. Stories told in that format are almost always cheesy in the first place regardless of the actor's skill and when you have someone who's acting is as dry as Kim Dickens, it just doesn't work at all.

But other than that, I thought it was a pretty good episode, despite the lack of Daniel.

Also I had a feeling Madison would eventually confess to some pre-outbreak murder but I figured it was going to be her kids' father.

Clamknuckle
Sep 7, 2006

Groovy
All I could think of during her speech was the Christmas monologue from Gremlins.

Zebulon
Aug 20, 2005

Oh god why does it burn?!
I haven't been paying too much attention to this thread since TWD's season finale, so I'm not sure if this came up: http://variety.com/2017/tv/news/frank-darabont-walking-dead-emails-rage-boils-over-1202494598/ Apparently production was a HUGE shitshow even in season 1.

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

I'm catching up right now, but I'm amazed they basically had an entire episode in Spanish - I like that they've tried to contrast a very different geographic and demographic feel from the main series.

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

Tenzarin posted:

When I saw this on the show it just looked wrong. Who cares about bullets and friendly fire.

i thought about ol' Guvner Phil. never waste a bullet son

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
trailer for next season
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Ow-nxswazg
looks like there are some fun scenes, but question is always how much filler there is between them
and im gonna nut from complain-posting about that fake beard, loving lol

Poppyseed Poundcake
Feb 23, 2007

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Time skip is real and holy poo poo. They'll still find someone to pad and drag the war forever but it's nice to see they're not afraid of keeping with the main story.

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007
Looks like stuff actually happens next season so I'm guessing it was all footage from the first and last episode.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Dongattack posted:

trailer for next season
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Ow-nxswazg
looks like there are some fun scenes, but question is always how much filler there is between them
and im gonna nut from complain-posting about that fake beard, loving lol

Morgan: "I don't die! I multiply!"

Killmaster
Jun 18, 2002
I love the editing on that trailer:

[Terrible, cringe-inducing dialog from negan]

[suspense-building beats for two minutes, while we show you random scenes of characters doing absolutely nothing]

[Oooooh Darryl, he shot something from his motorcycle and it blew up. He's so dreamy ]

[Now let's play that song from the departed and dance a jig :dance: we're having fun now!]

[Old Rick, will they actually do the time jump in after the season break or are they just going to tease us at the end of ep 816 and make us wait until S9. terrible beard]

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
Old Rick scene had more bloom than a Wii game. Looks like a dream sequence.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
I hope they borrowed some writers from this season of Fear the Walking Dead, if not lol look forward to lots of staring and not-telling-things

Acacia REI
Oct 8, 2016

moist turtleneck posted:

I hope they borrowed some writers from this season of Fear the Walking Dead, if not lol look forward to lots of staring and not-telling-things

Did you ever think you would type those words in that sequence

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
Nope, those first two seasons were god awful but I'm glad it's on tv now

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=FI2U47UUVjY

Trailer for the back half of Fear S3. It looks a lot more interesting than the trailer for WD S8; but that could be b/c we all know Walking Dead's general pattern these past few seasons.

I read an interview the other day where someone on the show mentioned Strand chatting with the cosmonaut on the ISS was akin to that dumb CDC episode in the sense of a character finding out the epidemic is a worldwide thing. I liked that scene actually; and I honestly hope it gets brought up, simply because I want to see Colman Domingo tell everyone 'I got drunk and talked to a cosmonaut. The whole world is hosed.'

Andrew_1985
Sep 18, 2007
Hay hay hay!
Having just binged the entirety of S3 of Fear the Walking Dead and wow. I'm surprised at how competent this show got. Still disappointed we didn't stay at the Hotel, but I'm down for this whole Native Americans/Libertarians storyline they've got going, especially since Madison is a straight up manipulative villain now. Not sad to see the dad go, especially after that loving awful son died.

I will miss the boat and the random mission of the week.

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.
The fact I am looking forward to FTWD, after tearing into it week after week as the worst thing I forced myself to watch... is very confusing.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

LadyPictureShow posted:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=FI2U47UUVjY

Trailer for the back half of Fear S3. It looks a lot more interesting than the trailer for WD S8; but that could be b/c we all know Walking Dead's general pattern these past few seasons.

I read an interview the other day where someone on the show mentioned Strand chatting with the cosmonaut on the ISS was akin to that dumb CDC episode in the sense of a character finding out the epidemic is a worldwide thing. I liked that scene actually; and I honestly hope it gets brought up, simply because I want to see Colman Domingo tell everyone 'I got drunk and talked to a cosmonaut. The whole world is hosed.'

Not watched any of Fear, but do you know what episode/roughly when that scene is?

Ever since the start of The Walking Dead I've had a weird obsession with imagining how it would be playing out in places like the ISS.

Trailer for S8 of TWD is promising in that they seem to be making stuff happen, but despite the music it's still mostly shots of people staring off into the distance.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Old rick wont happen till like the last episode unless they plan to do the time skip in the middle and go right into the whisperers.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Senor Tron posted:

Not watched any of Fear, but do you know what episode/roughly when that scene is?

Ever since the start of The Walking Dead I've had a weird obsession with imagining how it would be playing out in places like the ISS.

Trailer for S8 of TWD is promising in that they seem to be making stuff happen, but despite the music it's still mostly shots of people staring off into the distance.

The Strand/Cosmonaut chat happens in episode 8 of this season, and it's in the second half.

Here's the clip if you don't want to watch the whole ep looking for it
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=xj3NbUAMRIU
Context: Strand was abandoned/left to die by another group member and eventually finds his previously stolen boat run aground.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
FtWD is actually a good show then suddenly from season 3(?) and onward? Do you have to suffer through the previous seasons to appreciate the show or can i just start where it gets good?

Bates
Jun 15, 2006

Dongattack posted:

FtWD is actually a good show then suddenly from season 3(?) and onward? Do you have to suffer through the previous seasons to appreciate the show or can i just start where it gets good?

It's an OK show now. People don't spend most of the time wallowing in self-pity like in TWD and things happen at a pace without endless filler scenes/episodes. You can probably read character synopsis' and just start with season 3. They destroy a bunch of stuff up to that point but it's basically a fresh start in a new locale.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Garbage people are coming back.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
I hope they broker a new deal and get double crossed again

I also hope the garbage people teach them the arcane magic of bicycles

Acacia REI
Oct 8, 2016

I just want to know why they talk the way they do. I mean if the show never addresses it I'll just assume the toxins from the landfill are rotting their brains but it seems like a weird thing not to acknowledge. They were cashiers and office workers like two and a half years earlier, what happened? Or maybe they do have some history from before the outbreak that would explain it?

Dongattack posted:

Pretty much echoing what Bates said; I've been recommending people look up the character bios, read a summary of the first two seasons and just start with season 3. It's still not flawless - Madison is still uncharismatic as gently caress - but the writing is really coming along in terms of quality and I think all of the other actors are doing well. I'm actually more excited for the second half of S3 than I am TWD S8.

Acacia REI fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Jul 25, 2017

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Tenzarin posted:

Garbage people are coming back.

That's a mean thing to say about the return of The Walking Dead!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Senor Tron posted:

The book World War Z covers stranded astronauts. It's not tied to TWD at all, but it was a fun read.