Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheWeepingHorse
Nov 20, 2009

As for /pol/, my 2 cents as a former 4chan poster is that the structure of 4chan, alongside the aging of its userbase, allowed /pol/ to essentially hijack many of the bigger boards on one of the most famous websites of its kind. /pol/tards quickly crowded out the people who were just loving around online. 4chan's preexisting fame thus gave /pol/ an outsized internet presence: this wasn't some random internet site, this wasn't wizardchan or 8chan or whatever, this was *4chan*. Doesn't matter that moot has left the building or that 4chan is no longer the major meme factory that it once was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

TheWeepingHorse posted:

As for /pol/, my 2 cents as a former 4chan poster is that the structure of 4chan, alongside the aging of its userbase, allowed /pol/ to essentially hijack many of the bigger boards on one of the most famous websites of its kind. /pol/tards quickly crowded out the people who were just loving around online. 4chan's preexisting fame thus gave /pol/ an outsized internet presence: this wasn't some random internet site, this wasn't wizardchan or 8chan or whatever, this was *4chan*. Doesn't matter that moot has left the building or that 4chan is no longer the major meme factory that it once was.

Wasn't /pol/ infiltrated by actual neo Nazis and used as a recruiting ground? I remember that being a thing iirc

ScrubLeague
Feb 11, 2007

Nap Ghost
Not infiltrated as much as they were run out of every other online community

pushpins
Sep 11, 2006

Title text (optional; no images are allowed, only text)
/pol/ is full of edgelords and can be funny with the right target. When they are making memes about universally despised things like Jeb! or the Fyre Festival you can almost forget the site is full of human garbage

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Business Gorillas posted:

Wasn't /pol/ infiltrated by actual neo Nazis and used as a recruiting ground? I remember that being a thing iirc

Yeah, stormfront actively sent members there and to r/politics to see how many people they could win over.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

fatherboxx posted:

leftypol exists, they are idiots but tolerable until they start unironically fantasizing about rounding up kulaks

Laugh as you must but I do think an alliance with dolphins should be at the top of the left's priorities

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

Business Gorillas posted:

they were ironic Nazis for years and then actual Nazis found out about it and figured they had found a place they could fit in and fit in with the young people

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

Captain_Maclaine posted:

Yeah, stormfront actively sent members there and to r/politics to see how many people they could win over.

r/politics is extremely anti-Trump. How did they fail to turn Redditors into white supremacists?

CortezFantastic
Aug 10, 2003

I SEE DEMONS

Tokamak posted:

Milo had 388k followers on twitter. Cernovich has 310k, Mcinnes 200k, Baked Alaska 180k, Spencer 65k. I think this is simply a case of overestimating the market. Good luck selling the other 80k, lol.

Also have to consider just talking about Trump and poo poo gets you a ton of bot follows, along with people following just to make fun of these people. They really are in a deep bubble.

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

Living in a hateful world sending me straight to Heaven

Ague Proof posted:

r/politics is extremely anti-Trump. How did they fail to turn Redditors into white supremacists?

R/Donald is their homeland.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Ague Proof posted:

r/politics is schizophrenic depending on which group is bloc downvoting at any given time.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Two friends of mine actually met and got married through a Reddit meetup group. I can't say they're characteristic of Redditers generally but they were really into Bernie and are now hooked big-time on Russiagate.

I'll also say that while that sounds dorky they're actually adorable.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

For the most part it seems that reddit is pretty left / Bernieish, aside from /r/T_D (which gets poo poo on by everyone else) and the really weird fringe subreddits

But I've never really gone deep into the T_D / alt-right abyss over there though

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
most of Reddit is politically apathetic with the notable exception of net neutrality

which is why you see hard push back when politics leaks out to other subreddits (see: the donald and changes to the R/all system, and the creation of enoughsandersspam

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012
Reddit and 4chan are both pretty enormous websites so the thread-by-thread content isn't all that predictable unless the board you're on has extreme political slants. Reddit is probably even more disjointed than 4chan tbh because there's infinitely more boards and a lot of active boards don't show up on the front page. The Nazis are still people, they're not capable of being active across entire websites. They can get dumbasses carrying their wind, but I really don't think the 15th teenager to post a gamergate pepe is really going to be driving up twp membership.

The_donald mostly seems to be composed of extremely desperate and broken idiots, with quite a lot of older users that post basically like you expect old conservative dumbasses to post like. There's a good reason why they're at the bottom of alt-right hierarchy.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

ScrubLeague posted:

Not infiltrated as much as they were run out of every other online community

Yeah uh, radical free speech zones tend to attract Nazis because people who aren't loving Nazis are allowed to post in more aggressively moderated spaces

This is the root problem with those kind of sites; they're the only "safe spaces" for people nobody wants to talk to besides other creeps and lunatics, and people who aren't creeps and lunatics don't need "radical free speech" to be able to carry on a loving conversation about the news or football or Nintendo, so they go/stay places where Nazis aren't

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Feldegast42 posted:

For the most part it seems that reddit is pretty left / Bernieish, aside from /r/T_D (which gets poo poo on by everyone else) and the really weird fringe subreddits

But I've never really gone deep into the T_D / alt-right abyss over there though
I think the ultimate Reddit political candidate would fuse Bernie Sanders, Elon Musk and Neil deGrasse Tyson. Count me skeptical, though it's not the worst combination in the world. But Reddit's core users pride themselves on being forward-looking and they really love technology. "I loving love science."

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Ague Proof posted:

Montasque posted:

R/Donald is their homeland.

Yeah, they jumped ship, though I forget when precisely.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Reddit would also be the natural incubator for an American version of the Five Star Movement. That would be bad, I think.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

Reddit would also be the natural incubator for an American version of the Five Star Movement. That would be bad, I think.

pepe redpillo

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Al! posted:

pepe redpillo
I'm surprised we haven't gotten it yet since we already have our own Berlusconi. Somebody get Tulsi Gabbard on the phone.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

I think the ultimate Reddit political candidate would fuse Bernie Sanders, Elon Musk and Neil deGrasse Tyson. Count me skeptical, though it's not the worst combination in the world. But Reddit's core users pride themselves on being forward-looking and they really love technology. "I loving love science."

Yeah, pretty much this.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
Elon musk was ok with trump until he dared to touch his electric cars

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

logikv9 posted:

Elon musk was ok with trump until he dared to touch his electric cars

I really don't understand why people worship Musk.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

KomradeX posted:

I really don't understand why people worship Musk.

t e c h n o l o g y and futurism

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

logikv9 posted:

t e c h n o l o g y and futurism
ahem

~futurology~

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
hes a canadian-american

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Baloogan posted:

hes a canadian-american

cuck

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

does anyone know of any good write up about the five star movement. ive tried a bit to read around but their ideology and positions just seem... completely absurd?

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

consumed by normies posted:

does anyone know of any good write up about the five star movement. ive tried a bit to read around but their ideology and positions just seem... completely absurd?
I would like this too because yeah

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Ol Muskie

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
So I don't know where else to post this but speaking of rich assholes I listened to Maynard James Keenan on Joe Rogan yesterday and that guy is an enormous toolbag. Also he's a prepper and wants a world-threatening event to happen so people will snap out of their lowly status and band together, although left unsaid and fortunate for him, this world-threatening event wouldn't affect him as much because he's rich.

In addition to being a famous rock star, he will tell you about his winery and an oyster restaurant. Now would you like to try some of my delicate wines...

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
you're telling me the lead singer of tool is a tool?!

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Darkman Fanpage posted:

Yes that was my impression but he's dark and mysterious so apparently wise or something

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

oh god he takes the lyrics to the song he ripped off of bill hicks seriously

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
from the phiz picture thread

james is extremely edgy and cool

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Darkman Fanpage posted:

from the phiz picture thread

james is extremely edgy and cool

i bet he has really cool opinions about muslims

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
uh, isn't like, yeast an animal? like, wine or any fermented beverage kills trillions of little dudes

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
it's a fungus cucky ducky

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Darkman Fanpage posted:

he also did that dumb "I put bacon in my wine gently caress you vegans!" picture series, which despite getting passed around the internet as a "Ha ha! gently caress you sissies!" was apparently his way of sarcastically saying "hurr durr, I put bacon in the wine just because I hate vegans! Of course it's vegan, you idiots, it's wine!" not realizing wineries actually frequently use egg whites or fish products as part of the fining process, so it was a valid question

edit: someone beat me to the bacon thing, but there was an even dumber backstory than just 'lol bacon amirite guys? gently caress VEGANS!"