Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

Majorian posted:

No one is going to be the guy or gal. Everyone hates this disaster of a bill, and multiple Republican senators are going to kill it.

Someone will have to be the one who pushes it over the edge, unless they issue a joint statement that does it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
Oh hey am I too late to criticize a woman for her looks instead of her incredibly awful everything else?

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

[/color]Keep firing, assholes![/color]

Spaceballs the custom title.
Fun Shoe

Chilichimp posted:

I'm not unconvinced the person drawing her didn't use a picture of Dafoe as a guide, honestly.

Did they? Where is this sketch from? Now I feel stupid. I can't tell if you guys are making fun of me for missing something. :(

^^^^^^^
We're not criticizing a woman, but a tremendously lovely sketch of one.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Simon & Schuyster?

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Teddybear posted:

Someone will have to be the one who pushes it over the edge, unless they issue a joint statement that does it.

My money's on Heller saying no. His job's in danger either way, either through primaries or through general election, but he wants to be governor someday. He won't stand a chance if he votes yes on this.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Antti posted:

No single Republican has the bravery to be the guy or gal who stopped Obamacare repeal. That's the dynamic that played out in the House and it's the dynamic that will play out in the Senate. Combine that with Josh Marshall's Iron Law of Republican Politics ("The moderates always cave") and that's how the Freedom Caucus gets to decide who gets healthcare.

Yeah, but liberal assassins were lighting up congressional softball fields when the house betrayed the American people.

I'm not saying they won't totally vote for some loving atrocious repeal/replace; I'm saying the calculus is now different.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

Hatch, Cruz etc will make sure the Don Jr questions are focused on these illicit funds.

Sandeep
Mar 27, 2002

I should be working on Summoner 3 instead of engaging in political discussions

How is this not the biggest news in this story as of yet?

"Akhmetshin said he does not know if Veselnitskaya’s documents were provided by the Russian government. He said he thinks she left the materials with the Trump associates. It was unclear if she handed the documents to anyone in the room or simply left them behind, he said."

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Jaxyon posted:

Oh hey am I too late to criticize a woman for her looks instead of her incredibly awful everything else?

No, go ahead. I'll help. She's ugly.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Jaxyon posted:

Look at that loving sketch, bro. The drawing scratch makes it look like she's got bugs crawling out of her mouth and eyes.

Say what you will about Kelly Anne, she isn't Dafoe/Donovan from Indiana Jones 3 after he drank from the wrong grail.

Faustian Bargain
Apr 12, 2014

TARDISman posted:

New Wolfenstein concept art looks great.
You aren't wrong.

edit: woops leeching

Faustian Bargain fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Jul 14, 2017

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Fitzy Fitz posted:

No, go ahead. I'll help. She's ugly.

But enough about her soul...

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

[/color]Keep firing, assholes![/color]

Spaceballs the custom title.
Fun Shoe
Kellyanne provides a visual aid for Fox News viewers. "to help all the people at home."
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n76grjN7QVg

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Lower those eyebrows, young man. And the other one.

Sandeep posted:

How is this not the biggest news in this story as of yet?

"Akhmetshin said he does not know if Veselnitskaya’s documents were provided by the Russian government. He said he thinks she left the materials with the Trump associates. It was unclear if she handed the documents to anyone in the room or simply left them behind, he said."

Here's the excerpt for this.

https://twitter.com/BraddJaffy/status/885905739662884865

quote:

During the meeting, Akhmetshin said Veselnitskaya brought with her a plastic folder with printed-out documents that detailed what she believed was the flow of illicit funds to the Democratic National Committee. Veselnitskaya presented the contents of the documents to the Trump associates and suggested that making the information public could help the Trump campaign, he said.

“This could be a good issue to expose how the DNC is accepting bad money,” Akhmetshin recalled her saying.

Trump Jr. asked the attorney if she had all the evidence to back up her claims, including whether she could demonstrate the flow of the money. But Veselnitskaya said the Trump campaign would need to research it more. After that, Trump Jr. lost interest, according to Akhmetshin.

“They couldn’t wait for the meeting to end,” he said.

Akhmetshin said he does not know if Veselnitskaya’s documents were provided by the Russian government. He said he thinks she left the materials with the Trump associates. It was unclear if she handed the documents to anyone in the room or simply left them behind, he said.

Jared Kushner, Trump’s son-in-law and current White House senior adviser, and then-campaign chairman Paul Manafort also attended the meeting. Akhmetshin said he recognized Kushner and Trump Jr. He also said he recognized Manafort because they worked in “adjacent political circles” but never together.

He said there were others in the room but he didn’t know them. Publicist Rob Goldstone, who brokered the meeting via email with Trump Jr., has told the AP that he also participated in the meeting.

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

So having read between the lines a bit in terms of the statements released by that spy I would contend that Russia is now deliberately trying to stoke this controversy into a full on crises. The statements from that spy make the meeting very damning in the eyes of anyone who isn't a high-compaction Narrativist- but there is also blatant signaling to the Outer narratives being parroted by the Putin-bots on The_Donald. (I suspect that something like as much as 65% of traffic at The_Donald is Russian at this point based on my own observations.)

Associated Press posted:

Akhmetshin said the meeting was “not substantive” and he “actually expected more serious” discussion.

“I never thought this would be such a big deal to be honest,” he told AP.

I think the Russian strategy is "testing the waters" right now to see if they can get a government-crippling crises to emerge out of this situation. From the Russian perspective either they gain literal full loving control of the United States federal government from this, or they completely hobble our government for potentially years while this gets sorted out. Win-Win from their perspective. I suspect then that we may see a few more Russian plays aimed at providing further material to incite both sides. (deluded Trump supporters vs. literally everyone else)

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Jaxyon posted:

I think Conway has long since abandoned any right to a defense from a feminist angle.

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Majorian posted:

No one is going to be the guy or gal. Everyone hates this disaster of a bill, and multiple Republican senators are going to kill it.

You wanna bet on this, or do you just feel like peddling more bullshit false hope?

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

Meanwhile, in London:

Aide (messaging): Sir, they've already revealed the Guccifer connection! What should we do?

Assange: Release the Vince Foster letter

Aide: But it isn't ready yet! The handwriting and grammar don't match well yet. It looks sloppy.

Assange: Do it. We are have no choice.

Aide: We have some perfectly good cattle futures stuff. We haven't even touched Whitewater.

Assange: The media will shrug that off quickly. Tweet the letter.

Wikileaks tweeted:

New letter from Vince Foster implicates Hillary. Contradicts his death as suicide.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Majorian posted:

I think Conway has long since abandoned any right to a defense from a feminist angle.

She's kinda asking for it, with her behavior, you'd say?

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

quote:

Publicist Rob Goldstone, who brokered the meeting via email with Trump Jr., has told the AP that he also participated in the meeting.

There goes our earlier pedantry about whether Goldstone was in the room.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Majorian posted:

This isn't a very "woke" thing to say, my man.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

WampaLord posted:

Um I think you'll find that they have said the phrase of power "I am a feminist" which prevents them ever doing anything unconsciously sexist ever again.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

WampaLord posted:

I think Kellyanne Conway is a not attractive person and I believe that her being a terrible human being means that I don't really care if someone points that out.

I think that Donald Trump is a not attractive person and I believe that his being a terrible human being means that I don't really care if someone points that out.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Jaxyon posted:

Um I think you'll find that they have said the phrase of power "I am a feminist" which prevents them ever doing anything unconsciously sexist ever again.

Someone call the MRA's, because some people made fun of this courtroom sketch of Tom Brady

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
lol are you loving kidding me goldstone was there too?

was JFK and jimmy hoffa there too?

exhumed corpse of hitler?

what the gently caress

JailTrump
Jul 14, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
I'm wonder if they got the DNC leaks from the meeting but decided to not publically release them because of how illegal it would be...hence Trump promising to reveal something on the 13th after the meeting.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

From my point of view its inevitable that the bill goes through and Trump signs it, and the democrats need to be prepared to nail them to the wall on it in 2018.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
Hey sexist behavior is OK if the target is really a bad person, because it's not about your actions at all!

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I think you'll find that rape isn't a gendered problem, because guys get raped too.

LaserShark
Oct 17, 2007

It's over, idiot. You're gonna die here and now, and the last words out of your mouth will have been 'poop train.'
So, the Trump campaign hosted a meeting with Russian agents for the express purpose of collecting damaging intel on Clinton/the DNC, and at that meeting accepted stolen documents apparently. How close are we getting to this mattering? I want to believe, but I've been burned before.

JailTrump
Jul 14, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
Why are all these loving idiots talking to the press so god damned much?

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Jaxyon posted:

Hey sexist behavior is OK if the target is really a bad person, because it's not about your actions at all!

Are you saying that it's sexist to call someone ugly or were you responding to something with more charged language?

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Office Pig posted:

You wanna bet on this, or do you just feel like peddling more bullshit false hope?

I wouldn't

GOP is desperate for a 'win' of some kind, even with the poo poo that this is, it would be a 'win'. It's really fuckin' hard to say they won't do it just to get that win.

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

JailTrump posted:

I assume they're just trying to shift the discourse to "well we only did this illegal thing because the DNC did something illegal".

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

LaserShark posted:

So, the Trump campaign hosted a meeting with Russian agents for the express purpose of collecting damaging intel on Clinton/the DNC, and at that meeting accepted stolen documents apparently. How close are we getting to this mattering? I want to believe, but I've been burned before.

only going to matter once someone decides to prosecute unfortunately. and that'd be the doj or congress via impeachment which, uh...

good news is that it's apparently ok to openly commit felonies if you're rich more than ever

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

skylined! posted:

what the gently caress

All we need is for Jr. to claim he left early to go pick up two prostitutes so his dad can perform "two girls, one Trump" and we've crossed off the most hosed up bingo card in the universe.

moostaffa
Apr 2, 2008

People always ask me about Toad, It's fantastic. Let me tell you about Toad. I do very well with Toad. I love Toad. No one loves Toad more than me, BELIEVE ME. Toad loves me. I have the best Toad.

JailTrump posted:

The Russians involved are actual spies, and they're talking to the media to fuel the fire.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

Phoix posted:

I assume they're just trying to shift the discourse to "well we only did this illegal thing because the DNC did something illegal".

JailTrump posted:

welp three of the people talking are russian so I'm guessing maximum chaos and/or get themselves in the media before putin offs them

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

No Butt Stuff posted:

Are you saying that it's sexist to call someone ugly or were you responding to something with more charged language?

I'm saying frequently talking about a woman's looks over and over every time she appears is sexist behavior, and it doesn't much matter if you think you're woke, or she's a really bad person, or if you also sometimes do it to men.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

skylined! posted:

what the gently caress

It is entirely possible.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/07/14/politics/donald-trump-jr-meeting/index.html

quote:

It is still not clear how many people attended the meeting. So far acknowledged in attendance: Trump Jr., Kushner, Manafort, Veselnitskaya, Akhmetshin and publicist Rob Goldstone, who helped set up the meeting. The source familiar with the circumstances said there were other people in the room as well, but could not provide the names.

• Locked thread