Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
The instant pot can also function as a slow cooker, you can sear in it, make yogurt, a couple other things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
I assume it is just a well-marketed example? I have had a combo pressure/slow/rice cooker for like a decade now.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I think the sauté mode is also considered valuable.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
Mine does that too, if you have the patience for it.

It is a p useful gadget, but I had no idea they were uncommon enough for this new one to become a trend. I mostly use mine to cook beans these days but when we first got it we used it all the time.

Glambags
Dec 28, 2003

I got my prime day-purchased instant pot yesterday and made smoky bbq beans in about 90 minutes. They were delicious. I saved about 5 hours and the pot was much easier to clean. Perhaps the best thing is that I didn't scorch the drat bottom of the pot as I frequently do with my stove top pressure cooker. Wins all around.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

bongwizzard posted:

I assume it is just a well-marketed example? I have had a combo pressure/slow/rice cooker for like a decade now.

The IP is not a new idea, it's just particularly well designed and implemented. It almost lives up to the hype.

Also, this:

Glambags posted:

much easier to clean

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

I have a now decade old electric that I absolutely despise compared to my KR 8qt. I'm assuming the IP gets to temp faster and is less finicky with safety shut offs.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Squashy Nipples posted:

The IP is not a new idea, it's just particularly well designed and implemented. It almost lives up to the hype.

Intreating. Mine makes no-soak beans acceptably well, but not near as good as an overnight soak then slow cook on the stove. Has anyone done dry beans in their instant pot ?

Glambags
Dec 28, 2003

About 3 posts up good buddy

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

bongwizzard posted:

Intreating. Mine makes no-soak beans acceptably well, but not near as good as an overnight soak then slow cook on the stove. Has anyone done dry beans in their instant pot ?

Yeah, I'll chuck dry black beans into a pot with some chicken thighs, a bit of stock, and flavoring poo poo to make quinoa bowl filling for lunches. I've never eaten beans very often but they come out tasting just fine to me.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

bongwizzard posted:

I'd agree with that, the texture isn't as good with no soak and I sometimes get lots of beans that split open. I've been doing a 1-hour quick soak (bring beans and water almost to a boil, take off heat, and cover) before pressure cooking and I like those better.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Scott808 posted:

I'm pretty sure both are standard 3 ply (stainless-aluminum-stainless) material, but the MultiClad series is made in China and the French Classic is French made. MultiClad also has rolled/flared pouring rims and the French Classics are straight on the rim; compare the rims of the saucepans from the different lines and you should see the difference in shape. The standard All Clad Tri-Ply and MC2 series also lack the pouring rims on the sauce pans.

I can tell my MC2s are a bit heavier and a bit thicker than the Tri-Ply on the 10 inch skillet, and they probably do perform marginally better. In reality, I don't notice if it really does. All the clad stuff I own all performs well enough. For me the most noticeable difference is the handles. For example I have a 3 quart sauce pan and it has a skinny, smooth, and rounded handle. Lifting it and moving it around is not too bad, but if you want to pour out if it then the handle sucks because it wants to spin in your hand while you're trying to tip the pot sidewards.

Thanks for the breakdown, I'm probably going to stick with the MC2s. They're cheaper and if the performance is the same (or marginally inferior), I don't think I'll notice. Sucks that the MC2 don't have the pouring rims.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
So does the Instant Pot allow for the removal 100% of another device?

I'd never ditch my Zoji rice cooker. But would I EVER need a crockpot anymore, for example?

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
I had been planning for the instant pot to replace my crock pot, but once I got it I couldn't do it. The instant pot is too small for a crock pot for me (ymmv, I just cook for myself but I like leftovers).

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
got some amazon bux so i finally pulled the trigger on this, an upgrade from my chipping warped 4qt nonstick:https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00421AYK4
a bit larger but im sure ill adapt :)

Jay Carney
Mar 23, 2007

If you do that you will die on the toilet.
Is there such a thing as a liquid nitrogen gun? I'm imagining cooling the surface of a sous vide steak enough to minimize over cooking when searing. I know negative griddles exist but im imagining a torch that sprays liquid nitrogen like doctor freeze.

Also i am likely crazy and this is one of my dumber ideas which is saying something.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Jay Carney posted:

Is there such a thing as a liquid nitrogen gun? I'm imagining cooling the surface of a sous vide steak enough to minimize over cooking when searing. I know negative griddles exist but im imagining a torch that sprays liquid nitrogen like doctor freeze.

Also i am likely crazy and this is one of my dumber ideas which is saying something.

Assuming you are searing at high heat, and also assuming you salt the meat before putting it in the sous vide, it would be incredibly difficult to to raise the temperature so much so that it overcooks. If you leave it on the skillet too long, yes it will over cook. Also, if this is something that does keep happening to you, then just lower the temp on the sous vide by a few degrees.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Jay Carney posted:

Spraying liquid nitrogen around a room is a good way to painlessly commit suicide but a pretty bad way to cool down a steak.

As swickles says, you're unlikely to overcook a s-v steak by searing it if you're searing properly. No idea what the comment about salt is supposed to mean though.

If you're really worried about it just using an ice bath is going to be more than sufficient unless your tolerances are so tight you're titrating individual steak molecules or some poo poo.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

SubG posted:

Spraying liquid nitrogen around a room is a good way to painlessly commit suicide but a pretty bad way to cool down a steak.

As swickles says, you're unlikely to overcook a s-v steak by searing it if you're searing properly. No idea what the comment about salt is supposed to mean though.

If you're really worried about it just using an ice bath is going to be more than sufficient unless your tolerances are so tight you're titrating individual steak molecules or some poo poo.

Salting for a long time draws water out of the top layers of cells, so when it hits the hot pan most of the heat goes to evaporating that liquid (assuming you don't pat it dry) and then to searing the dehydrated flesh, creating a slight thermal barrier. The difference between those two is mostly a theoretical one I imagine and it would be difficult to definitively prove in any case.

Also, trying to cool a steak by ice bath, liquid nitrogen, etc. will like give you a steak cooked to a temperature, but is no longer at that temp. I guess if you wanted to make some rare roast beef and make it into cold cuts right away that would be a reason.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

SubG posted:

The top bit is incorrect, it's very difficult to hurt yourself with LN2 via suffocation even in a closed room.

I agree that just searing in a pan should be fine.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

swickles posted:

Salting for a long time draws water out of the top layers of cells, so when it hits the hot pan most of the heat goes to evaporating that liquid (assuming you don't pat it dry) and then to searing the dehydrated flesh, creating a slight thermal barrier. The difference between those two is mostly a theoretical one I imagine and it would be difficult to definitively prove in any case.
If you'd like I can explain why this is not how any of that works, but that's not how any of that works.

I mean by all means salt a slab of protein before doing it in the puddle machine. But to within rounding error it's really not going to have any effect on the quality of a subsequent sear.

The same is not necessarily true for veg, which can benefit from brining before searing or stir-frying. It's a lot easier to get a good char on eggplant, for example, if it's been brined than if it hasn't. But meat doesn't really behave like eggplant.

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

The top bit is incorrect, it's very difficult to hurt yourself with LN2 via suffocation even in a closed room.
Nah, it's a real-world cause of accidental death. I mean if you're trying to cool a steak you're probably not going to have more that like a litre around and if the area's well-ventilated and you don't have any pets or small children breathing near the floor the risk is probably small. But like 10 L dewars of LN are things that actually kill people who get careless.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg
What about liquid oxygen, then? Pretty hard to kill yourself with an oxygen overdose, and it's even colder than liquid nitrogen.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

What about liquid oxygen, then? Pretty hard to kill yourself with an oxygen overdose, and it's even colder than liquid nitrogen.

Oxygen at any significant concentration is incredibly flammable, messing with that stuff anywhere near a stove and just in general is very dangerous.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

1) Soak steak in LO2.
2) Apply open flame to sear.*
3) Pick chunks of charred meat off walls, face, etc.
4) Enjoy!

* Please wear a bomb disposal/armored UEO suit while performing this step.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

SubG posted:

Nah, it's a real-world cause of accidental death. I mean if you're trying to cool a steak you're probably not going to have more that like a litre around and if the area's well-ventilated and you don't have any pets or small children breathing near the floor the risk is probably small. But like 10 L dewars of LN are things that actually kill people who get careless.

He was asking about a theoretical liquid nitrogen gun, which is presumably controlled and also not 10L and therefore not a huge danger.

There are plenty of ice cream shops that use liquid nitrogen in dewars much larger than 10L pumped out through faucets and they do just fine without killing people

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 08:52 on Jul 20, 2017

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Steve Yun posted:

He was asking about a theoretical liquid nitrogen gun, which is presumably controlled and also not 10L and therefore not a huge danger.

There are plenty of ice cream shops that use liquid nitrogen in dewars much larger than 10L pumped out through faucets and they do just fine without killing people
Yeah, and there are plenty of bars doing novelty LN cocktails and I can only think of one gruesome injury related to them off the top of my head.

loving around with liquid nitrogen is something that can result in serious injury or death. There are lots of things in the kitchen that that's true of---boiling water, sharp poo poo, and so on. But most people have many years of experience around hot things and pointy things and as a result generally have a pretty good intuition about what is and isn't dangerous. Liquid nitrogen really isn't one of those things. It can, and routinely is, handled safely. But it also can, and regularly does, cause injury or death. Perhaps I am misinterpreting Jay Carney's level of experience with the stuff, but if someone asks about spraying liquid nitrogen around like Mr. Freeze I assume they probably don't really have a solid grasp on the potential risks.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Jay is not in danger of getting his hands on a liquid nitrogen gun anytime soon, no need to be hyperbolic

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Steve Yun posted:

Jay is not in danger of getting his hands on a liquid nitrogen gun anytime soon, no need to be hyperbolic
What? Dude literally asked if spraying liquid nitrogen around like Mr. Freeze in order to cool down a steak is crazy.

Yes. The answer is yes.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
He asked if there was a liquid nitrogen gun

You came in saying that he would suffocate himself.

Radish pointed out that suffocation from liquid nitrogen is highly unlikely, rightly so because

Then you started inserting other dangers of liquid nitrogen into the argument, such as contact hazards, which were not what Radish was contending.

Radish also said LN would be unnecessary because searing in a pan would be sufficient, which I think we all agree with.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Steve Yun posted:

You came in saying that he would suffocate himself.
That's not what I said, but whatever. Since I'm apparently having trouble making myself clear: I am not saying using LN is inherently deadly or anything like that. I am saying that LN is dangerous and if you don't know how to handle it you probably shouldn't.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

SubG posted:

That's not what I said, but whatever. Since I'm apparently having trouble making myself clear: I am not saying using LN is inherently deadly or anything like that. I am saying that LN is dangerous and if you don't know how to handle it you probably shouldn't.

You said:

SubG posted:

As far as I know the only painless suicide via LN2 is nitrogen asphyxiation. I do agree that there are risks associated with handling LN2 and that anyone interested in its use should educate themselves on the risks associated with its use.

Jay Carney
Mar 23, 2007

If you do that you will die on the toilet.
I may have been a lot to very stoned when I asked that no need to fight fellas!

I also forgot ice baths exist:11tea:

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

You said:

As far as I know the only painless suicide via LN2 is nitrogen asphyxiation. I do agree that there are risks associated with handling LN2 and that anyone interested in its use should educate themselves on the risks associated with its use.
Allow me to rephrase: beep boop i am a robot begin transmission liquid nitrogen is potentially dangerous repeat liquid nitrogen is potentially dangerous end transmission from the humourless pedantically correct tone policed gws robot beep boop.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

SubG posted:

Allow me to rephrase: beep boop i am a robot begin transmission liquid nitrogen is potentially dangerous repeat liquid nitrogen is potentially dangerous end transmission from the humourless pedantically correct tone policed gws robot beep boop.

But please, tell us how you really feel. :lol:

rgocs
Nov 9, 2011
I have a comal brought over form Mexico. It had a lot of crud on it and since I was stripping a couple of cast iron skillets in the self cleaning oven, figured I would put it there and see. However, it came out looking like this (after cleaning it with soapy water too): http://imgur.com/a/q7GIy

Is it salvageable? I am thinking I would have to remove the gray material (what is it?) to expose all the iron, then season as I would a cast iron skillet? Or is this entirely different?

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

rgocs posted:

I have a comal brought over form Mexico. It had a lot of crud on it and since I was stripping a couple of cast iron skillets in the self cleaning oven, figured I would put it there and see. However, it came out looking like this (after cleaning it with soapy water too): http://imgur.com/a/q7GIy

Is it salvageable? I am thinking I would have to remove the gray material (what is it?) to expose all the iron, then season as I would a cast iron skillet? Or is this entirely different?

That looks like rust has eaten its way through the seasoning, I'd try Bar Keepers Friend, steel wool and elbow grease. Whether it's salvageable or not depends on how far the rust has penetrated.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Does a magnet stick to it?

rgocs
Nov 9, 2011

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

That looks like rust has eaten its way through the seasoning, I'd try Bar Keepers Friend, steel wool and elbow grease. Whether it's salvageable or not depends on how far the rust has penetrated.
Metal underneath was quite shiny after washing. I could try barkeeper's friend. There does seem to be rust on the underside of the comal.

Steve Yun posted:

Does a magnet stick to it?
Yes.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Should be re-seasonable, although if it's carbon steel it might take a little extra effort.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
http://www.modernistpantry.com/spinzall.html

If you're in the market for a centrifuge, it looks like Booker and Dax has a few extra spinzalls at the discount $800 price if you preorder in the next week.