Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

corn on the cop posted:

I'm around all day tomorrow so I'll take them

Cool, thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

I think this is the first pick that feels like a reach to me.

Agreed, but it's not a horrible pick. I'd love to hear the rationale.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Jamwad Hilder posted:

Agreed, but it's not a horrible pick. I'd love to hear the rationale.

There's not a lot to dig into tbh. At the 20 spot you're picking young players who you want to build around. How young depends on what kind of team you're looking to build. I really like Marner, more than the other wingers who would be comparable to him in terms of age / skill ceiling . There are centers I like as much as him, but as someone else said, there are a lot of centers available and I'll probably be able to grab someone comparable on the way back around.

In terms of why I value him so highly... His performance in his rookie pro season was pretty good and there's nothing really there to suggest he won't build off that next year. His on ice sh% is maybe a bit high, but his own shooting % is low and I think his IPP was probably unluckily low too.

I think the Matthews @ 5 pick was as much a reach as this (just because of how high it was, I understand why you make that pick if you want that guy). So was Gaudreau @ whatever it was picked at. Gaudreau's 23 year old season was basically identical to Marner's 19 year old season.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Aye Doc posted:

Furnaceface is up, he has until 11:15 AM EST tomorrow to make his pick

Im making this pick now because I have an 11 hour day at work tomorrow and I dont think whoever is up next should have to wait until 11.

Gonna take one Brent Burns because the Rangers love to do everything big; facial hair, bad tattoos, and contracts.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

To sign them is my real test

With full no movement clause

corn on the cop posted:

I'm around all day tomorrow so I'll take them

I'll be around from the window opening until about 5pm, and intermittently from there until 10:30, so I can take any PM'd picks that anyone might have tomorrow

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

Don't get me wrong - I think he's a solid pick (I got him at 14 last year and would've jumped to have him at 12 this year.) Guys who can score 40 goals are rare, winger or no - and when it comes to quality centers I think that well is a lot deeper than wingers of Tarasenko's stature.

Jamwad Hilder posted:

On my phone so I can't update the spreadsheet, sorry. But I pick Mark Scheifele

This was the guy I was considering, and there was another center, and Gadreau, on my radar but I ultimately felt that Tarasenko was the best option considering all factors I reserve the right to reject this opinion if/when Scheifele, or my other center, are 70-80+ point franchise centers if the top line center I get later in the draft is really fuckin meh

Teemu Pokemon fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Jul 14, 2017

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
for me it was between Tavares/Seguin/Schiefele/Tarasenko.

Scheifele's 20% shooting percentage scared me a little, even if he's younger than Seguin. Tarasenko is nasty but he's on the wing, and I think Tavares might be the best of the four but he's a bit older. I wouldn't have been unhappy with any of them but I think Seguin was the right choice.

Technetium
Oct 26, 2006

TRILOBITE TECHNICIAN
QUITE POSSIBLY GAY

Furnaceface posted:

Im making this pick now because I have an 11 hour day at work tomorrow and I dont think whoever is up next should have to wait until 11.

Gonna take one Brent Burns because the Rangers love to do everything big; facial hair, bad tattoos, and contracts.

Yeah if people want they can keep picking through the night but no one is skipped until 12:00EST

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

T-Bone posted:

for me it was between Tavares/Seguin/Schiefele/Tarasenko.

Scheifele's 20% shooting percentage scared me a little, even if he's younger than Seguin. Tarasenko is nasty but he's on the wing, and I think Tavares might be the best of the four but he's a bit older. I wouldn't have been unhappy with any of them but I think Seguin was the right choice.

In a vacuum Scheifele's season looks like it was an aberration. Lowered his shooting rate from previous years and shot 20% himself. 3nd in the league in on ice shooting %, and his linemate was first (with 500 minutes as the minimum TOI). It's unlikely he repeats those 40 ES assists. Normally I'd say he's due for a regression, but given his linemate is Laine, who appears to be the second coming of Ovechkin, who knows.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Scheifeles shooting percentage is worrying, for sure, but he was still top ten scoring in the NHL. I had a different player in mind to be honest but ultimately I felt I couldn't pass up the 24-year-old 1C with a nice cap hit. Even if he's "only" a 60-65 point 1C I feel like 17th isn't a terrible place to take him given age and contract.

Technetium
Oct 26, 2006

TRILOBITE TECHNICIAN
QUITE POSSIBLY GAY

Jamwad Hilder posted:

Scheifeles shooting percentage is worrying, for sure, but he was still top ten scoring in the NHL. I had a different player in mind to be honest but ultimately I felt I couldn't pass up the 24-year-old 1C with a nice cap hit. Even if he's "only" a 60-65 point 1C I feel like 17th isn't a terrible place to take him given age and contract.

There were about 5 players I was seriously considering at 19 but I'm figuring with how Stamkos played to start this year and having the entire offseason to get back I'd take a chance that he'd be a 40ish goal scoring center again given that he's only 27. If Scheifele had been available he'd have been right there in the mix, dude had a beastly year even if his goals might drop next year. Even without that he was a 30/30 centerman at 23 without Laine and has turned into a great playmaker with him.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
I think it's my pick? I'll take Carey Price which is a boring pick but I don't know how he dropped to me since he's the best goalie in the league.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Goalie in the first round? C'mmmon.

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high

Ginette Reno posted:

I think it's my pick? I'll take Carey Price which is a boring pick but I don't know how he dropped to me since he's the best goalie in the league.

FUUUUCKKKKKK YOOOOOUUUUUUUU

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

JoelJoel posted:

Goalie in the first round? C'mmmon.

It pains me too but he's too good to pass up :/.

stab posted:

FUUUUCKKKKKK YOOOOOUUUUUUUU

Carey has always dreamed of bringing a sixth cup to Pittsburgh.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

Ginette Reno posted:

I wouldn't say he dropped, middle of the 1st is about exactly where he should go, maybe even a few picks later when you consider his contract

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Teemu Pokemon posted:

I wouldn't say he dropped, middle of the 1st is about exactly where he should go, maybe even a few picks later when you consider his contract

It's a huge contract but he's also one of the few players available that is capable of carrying a team on his own and who is also still relatively young. Plus goalies age better than other positions.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

Yeah it's just been proven that you can sustain winning with great teams and average goaltenders, so factoring all that in, I'd say that somewhere between 15-25 is the perfect spot to take Price. I wouldn't consider him not going in the top 15 to be falling

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Ginette Reno posted:

Plus goalies age better than other positions.

What's that up in the sky? THE THINKTANK SYMBOL?!

As a general rule, they peak and age at almost exactly the same rate as forwards. Outside of rare examples like Hasek, Luongo and Brodeur, goalies start their decline at 30 and are noticeably well below their peak by 34-35 like any other athlete. A decline for someone like Price who's so far above his peers will mean he won't fall as hard, but it's unlikely he'll be a .925+ goaltender for more than another few years. For every Tim Thomas winning the Vezina at 36, there's a Kiprusoff retiring at 35.

:goonsay:

https://hockey-graphs.com/2014/03/21/how-well-do-goalies-age-a-look-at-a-goalie-aging-curve/

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky
Jonathan Fisk will be passed over at 12:00. I've notified he and Animal so hopefully they'll be around eventually. I'll be making Joel's pick.

If someone could get a touch of Jesus Man (turn your PMs on people!!!) that'd be cool.

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky
JoelJoel selects the Art Ross winner in 2014-15 and the owner of the strangest development curve I've ever seen, Jamie Benn.

Yaya
Nov 14, 2012

vancloober cablucks
OVI TRICE. REAL NAME, NO GIMMICKS.

Last year was the first time Ovechkin hasn't looked fantastic in the NHL, but there's no denying how insane it is we considered 33 goals and 69 points in today's NHL a down year.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

corn on the cop posted:

the owner of the strangest development curve I've ever seen

No, that's definitely Tim Thomas.

Age 20: Decent College goaltender
Age 26: Not good enough to be a starter in the IHL
Age 28: Can't get a 3rd string job in the NHL
Age 30: European league star
Age 33: NHL starter for the first time
Age 34: First team NHL Allstar
Age 35: Loses starting job to 21 year old backup
Age 36: Regains starting job, posts the highest single season Sv% ever, wins Vezina, Conn Smythe and Stanley Cup
Age 38: Skips an entire season because Obama got re-elected
Age 39: Poor quality backup
Age 40: Retired

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
yeah Tim Thomas literally went:
Vezina
lost his job to the backup
Vezina, Stanley Cup, Conn Smythe

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

― Corey Dostoyevsky
i genuinely forgot about that rear end in a top hat

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Jamwad Hilder posted:

yeah Tim Thomas literally went:
Vezina
lost his job to the backup
Vezina, Stanley Cup, Conn Smythe

I'd forgotten he won a Vezina in his 2nd season too

corn on the cop posted:

i genuinely forgot about that rear end in a top hat

I wish I could say the same.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

corn on the cop posted:

JoelJoel selects the Art Ross winner in 2014-15 and the owner of the strangest development curve I've ever seen, Jamie Benn.

Good pick. If I were taking a forward instead he's who I would have taken. Not too old and still very good.

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black
Minnesota Wild select Roman Josi defenseman.

Habibi is on the clock

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

Drew Doughty for the Sabres, god bless

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Really surprised Josi went "before" Doughty, and maybe a good 5-10 other defensemen in that age/skill range.
Maybe I don't know his body of work all that well, though so I could be off base here.

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

― Corey Dostoyevsky
Habibi up until 3:00 PM EST.

eXXon on deck.

Verviticus in the hole.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

lazerwolf makes hipster picks all the time.

Habibi hurry up and don't pick thanks.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

I sent my list to whoever corn on the cop's username used to be so that I can go to bed now, bye.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
what the hell time zone are you in?

night shift?

new chat thread?

I'd like to add that we do a draft in our Summer beer league and took a goalie and we're in first but we also give up like 40+ shots every game, we're pretty much Montreal and will lose in the first round

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

― Corey Dostoyevsky
With his first selection, eXXon selects Evgeni "Still available for some reason" Malkin.

Verviticus up.

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

Lmao I assumed he was gone

Laderhan
Oct 2, 2013
Haha, I was thinking about taking Malkin at 6, it's absolutely insane that he fell this far.

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

He's no Mitch Marner :mrgw:

Yaya
Nov 14, 2012

vancloober cablucks
Malkin was my second choice after Ovechkin. I was really hoping people were sleeping and he'd slip to my second rounder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high

Yaya posted:

Malkin was my second choice after Ovechkin. I was really hoping people were sleeping and he'd slip to my second rounder.

there was zero chance that was happening ;)

• Locked thread