Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

Pros:
Unaltered word of God Oda. O D. A
You can invest the free time into exercising and being healthy.

Cons:
No music I suppose
No color as well. Might not be an issue though if your cones don't work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Open up your Dethday present
It's a box of fucking nothing

Exciting Lemon

punk rebel ecks posted:

So I am watching the anime at episode 555, and I am tempted to continue on with the manga. I mean the show is great, but the pacing is a bit too slow.

What are the advantages and disadvantages of the manga?

How much does a new "arc" cost? Like is it one or two or six manga volumes?

The advantages are that the manga is literally better in every single way conceivable. And you can read them online if you're broke.

There is literally no disadvantage. There are even colored scans up on kissmanga up to chapter *really high number*

Edit: Actually, Binks' Sake is better in the anime, since it's a song and all and they sang it well. That's the only thing, though, and you can just watch those 3 minutes on youtube instead of watching 16000 minutes of horrendous pacing.

Man with Hat fucked around with this message at 08:09 on Jul 14, 2017

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
the manga is better and also you can read it in color, you're just missing out on the voice acting and music. the animation takes a huge nosedive after thriller bark and is irredeemably bad post timeskip

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Yeah, by episode 555 you've already seen more than enough to have the important characters' voices and the music in your head, going any further would just be torturing yourself. Check out any scenes you may want to see animated on YouTube later, the manga is just such a better experience overall. I followed the anime loyally up until halfway through Punk Hazard, then I just couldn't do it anymore.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

I strongly recommend backing up to Marineford in the manga and reading from there because the difference is HUGE and the anime censored some of the more gruesome stuff

e.g.:

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Huh. I always expected pudding to have a nonstandard hair color.

Goddamnit manga colors.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Brown would be fine if it didn't look washed out, but I also assumed it would be something else.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

do not be rude to sanji's wife. final warning....

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Sub Harrison posted:

Blackbeard's gonna show up cause he's already been tipped off by his 10th captain spy that Luffy's trashed the place. Who is the captain? Well you could say :bignews:

The trend continues! Not the Morgans part but I can totally see Blackbeard again swooping in to steal a kill.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!
Does anyone have the same feeling with this arc as impel down????

If you answered yes you're dumb and if you answered no you should really understand how hard big mom is getting punched

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Did anyone think luffy was gonna beat all the admirals and government at Marineford?

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

mabels big day posted:

Did anyone think luffy was gonna beat all the admirals and government at Marineford?

No because the objective was made so loving clear and the only objective made clear so far is kick mom's rear end. The escape is fake come on guys COME ON GUYS YOU KNOW IT"S TRUE

notwithyourheart
Dec 27, 2013

mabels big day posted:

i still think that

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?

Veskit posted:

No because the objective was made so loving clear and the only objective made clear so far is kick mom's rear end. The escape is fake come on guys COME ON GUYS YOU KNOW IT"S TRUE

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110

mabels big day posted:

No but after Luffy crying on Sabaody followed by ace dying followed by time skip I feel like we're at the point where warlords gotta start falling.

I get why people think it doesn't feel right right now, but I feel like it would be kinda cheap and not fit in the narrative for there to be another round of power ups after only fighting one real boss (Doffy) post time skip. Obviously there will be one at some point, but I don't think it's now.

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110
Fwiw I've skipped most of the posts in this debate bc the real adventure is NOT the posts we made along the way

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

I'm not sure I would use the good advice of Luffy's crew to avoid a fight as evidence in the argument that he's going to avoid a fight.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

You're making my point that it was about 3 panels of luffy really saying yeah i won't, and the rest of the arc is screaming yeah he's totally going to. Marianford was entirely we need to get the gently caress out of here with one moment in which he thought about fighting for real and disengaged.

He's going to fight Big mom and kick her rear end it's going to happen i'm going to be THE SMUGGEST when it happens.

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?
I hope you're right.
You're not. But I hope you are and I get the eat the biggest crow.

JahRoo
Oct 22, 2010

Can't wait for Kaido to come to totland so luffy can beat him first and then beat big mom in the same chapter.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
Okay, so what volume do I start off being that I'm on episode 555?

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

JahRoo posted:

Can't wait for Kaido to come to totland so luffy can beat him first and then beat big mom in the same chapter.

same panel and then the rest focuses on gangster gastino's seppuku

JahRoo
Oct 22, 2010

punk rebel ecks posted:

Flipping through it seems like it's in the range of chapter 634-635, which is the tail end of Volume 64.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

634 is the best place to start as it's when they start fighting in the plaza, it'll be a little of what you've already seen but it doesn't take long to read manga and an easy way to get acclimatised at first while you're switching mediums.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Radish posted:

I'm not sure I would use the good advice of Luffy's crew to avoid a fight as evidence in the argument that he's going to avoid a fight.

Yeah, pretty much everything in One Piece is Luffy totally agreeing to do what his crew said and then immediately just running off to do his own thing the second they look away.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Should I buy the manga on Amazon or is there some sort of subscription service I can use?

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

punk rebel ecks posted:

Should I buy the manga on Amazon or is there some sort of subscription service I can use?

The best way to buy the manga is the large boxsets they release because they're great value and also you get a really nice storage box. However the third boxset is the latest one and just covers from Thriller Bark to the end of the next arc for you. However once you catch up you can get the weekly online release from the official publishers. You don't have PMs so I can't say as much as I'd like :shobon:

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Thanks for the responses. I did some researching and found out that my local public library has every volume up until 82 in stock. My tax dollars hard at work. :)

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
If you're going to buy the entire series I recommend the omnibuses because they reduce the shelf space taken up is not to be underestimated, at least a third of the space taken up is reduced.

Edit: or use the library, that works too

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

punk rebel ecks posted:

The first one.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

track day bro! posted:

The first one.

This reminds me, should I start off with the first one? I mean, is the anime and manga different at all lore and plot wise?

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Gyges posted:

Yeah, pretty much everything in One Piece is Luffy totally agreeing to do what his crew said and then immediately just running off to do his own thing the second they look away.

Be fair; sometimes he just outright ignores them. Usually Nami, Usopp and/or Chopper and usually when Zoro, Sanji and/or Robin are around to grin at the fact that he's heading straight in to adventure with no heed to possible danger. Even in the case of going to Totland after Sanji to find out his intentions his first response was that the simplest thing was simply to go and ask Sanji what he wanted and he only modified that to be to go quietly and ask after several people expressed horror at the idea of doing so because of the risk.

The recurring element for Luffy in regards to Big Mom (and everyone else really) is that he doesn't care about her reputation or apparent power but that he's going along with the idea of escaping because that's what everyone else wants and he hasn't yet seen an overwhelming reason to kick her rear end. He appeared to have one for a short time when Pudding was in danger if I recall, but then she said she was lying so he's lost interest in doing so again.

Once he has said compelling reason nothing anyone, including his crew says can stop him, but he hasn't found one in regards to Big Mom yet. If he's going to find one it'll probably be in the next few chapters and be because Reiju or Pudding is endangered by Big Mom's berserk state I imagine. If he doesn't them he'll probably just leave because he has no over riding reason to fight Big Mom here, now and immediately.

tsob fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Jul 14, 2017

JahRoo
Oct 22, 2010

punk rebel ecks posted:

This reminds me, should I start off with the first one? I mean, is the anime and manga different at all lore and plot wise?

Not really. The anime has some non-canon filler arcs that don't impact the main story in any way. If you've watched the anime all the way through to the point you're at, you should be caught up on what the manga expects you to know at that point.

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Open up your Dethday present
It's a box of fucking nothing

Exciting Lemon

punk rebel ecks posted:

As far as I know, not really. But after reading ten chapters you'll realize how much better it is to read as manga than it is to watch as anime and go back and read from the start anyways, so you might as well start at the beginning.

I'd also recommend the digitally colored versions on kissmanga for as far as they last.

Green Tea Erotica
May 5, 2010

Anything you can do I can do BETTER

punk rebel ecks posted:

You don't need to. Aside from "Read the Manga" memes, they are basically identical. You wouldn't not catch anything because you started with the Anime.
That being said, I don't know the exact chapter, but that Arc starts on Chapter 600 or 601, around there.

Jesse James
Oct 11, 2009

IchiGO?
Strussel is gonna DF up the ingredients and Sanji is gonna bake the cake to calm Big Mom down. Then Pudding is going to alter her memory to make her forget about the stawhats trying to attack. Maybe also lets her remember what happened to Carmel? Big Mom then becomes an ally to the strawhats.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
the anime's pacing completely recontextualizes things (sometimes for the better), in the case of dressrosa, the manga has poor pacing towards the end, but the anime makes it way worse.

a lot of fights are better in the anime up until around thriller bark. my fave fight (luffy vs bellamy, luffy vs usopp) is a lot better in the anime

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Jesse James posted:

Strussel is gonna DF up the ingredients and Sanji is gonna bake the cake to calm Big Mom down. Then Pudding is going to alter her memory to make her forget about the stawhats trying to attack. Maybe also lets her remember what happened to Carmel? Big Mom then becomes an ally to the strawhats.

I doubt the first part, simply because if the ingredients don't taste nice neither will the finished product. You could argue that a good enough cook could make them taste good despite that handicap but I think Sanji is more likely to look down on the idea of using lesser/cheap ingredients and that that'll be one of the main differences between them as cooks. Strussel is obviously a good cook even with his reliance on magic goods, so their preference in regards to individual ingredients seems like a good way to differentiate them and make Sanji stand out.

tsob fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Jul 14, 2017

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
Sanji could probably just make an amazing cake with standard ingredients

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
I don't doubt he could, my point was that Streussel's ingredients aren't standard; they're less than.