Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I have liked Batman Forever my entire life. Very camp Batman flick, but genuinely enjoyable. Even liked Carey's Riddler. It's not a perfect fit, but I definitely enjoyed him more than Two-Face.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Two-Face would have been bad if it was anyone else, but seeing Tommy Lee Jones show more action and emotion than he ever has is worth it

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Literally the only thing I dislike about Batman and Robin is the party where he clearly reverses the footage to pad a scene. It's just so sloppy. I loving love everything else about it.

Well ok Bane was pretty unnecessary and poorly handled. But everything else was a joy to watch!

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

IUG posted:

At one point during the first Avengers you see what the Chitari are doing to civilians. They're just rounding them up, like they're trying to capture them. That's my no-prize answer.

One dude threw a live grenade at a group of civilians and would've been blown up had it not been by Cap

Also I really doubt every single building and vehicle that was being flattened by the space whales crashing around or demolished by random explosions was empty

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.
I like a low number because it implies the super heroes' presence made a difference (unlike in the DCCU) but anything under a hundred is insulting our intelegence (like Marvel comics when Hulk levels Vegas but "has never killed anyone")

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

BiggerBoat posted:

Watching that doc, it seems pretty obvious too that Keaton was the best Batman too. I have mixed feelings about Batman 89 and really love the Nolan trilogy but it's weird that Bale, in spite of being in the best Batman movies, was probably the shittiest Batman of the lot besides Clooney (which really wasn't his fault).

Bale is the one I can most imagine never thinking of himself as "Bruce Wayne". Keaton particularly makes Bruce Wayne feel like a separate character from Batman; Bale's Bruce comes off most as "the guy who Batman sometimes pretends to be".

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I really loved Clooney, he was really channeling Adam West combined with his own natural charm.

He was the opposite "Bruce Wayne Playboy is the real person, not an act, and he also likes being Batman". It was a lot of fun

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Wheat Loaf posted:

Bale is the one I can most imagine never thinking of himself as "Bruce Wayne". Keaton particularly makes Bruce Wayne feel like a separate character from Batman; Bale's Bruce comes off most as "the guy who Batman sometimes pretends to be".

I feel the exact opposite. Bale is a great Bruce but he never looks like he's comfortable being Batman. Keaton comes off as a lunatic with a death wish with almost no barrier between Bruce and Batman. Think about the "you wanna get nuts?" scene or when the Joker shoots up the press conference and Bruce just walks right up to him amid a hail of gunfire.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

purple death ray posted:

And Jim Carrey is loving unbearable in Forever.

I can see why he might be disliked but I thought his performance was good. I'm sort of on the fence when it comes to Carey in general, and at the time really disliked him, but I think his Riddler was one of the better parts of the film for the most part.

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Literally the only thing I dislike about Batman and Robin is the party where he clearly reverses the footage to pad a scene. It's just so sloppy. I loving love everything else about it.

Well ok Bane was pretty unnecessary and poorly handled. But everything else was a joy to watch!

B&R is one of those "so bad it's good" MST type movies so I get a kick out of it and watching it with my 6 year old is even funnier because he takes it so seriously. He loves Batman 66 too, recognizes it as comedy and pisses his pants laughing at the shark attack.

Cracked me up in the Batman doc though to hear Schumacher say that one of the saving graces of B&R was Uma Thurman "delivering a great performance" because my god she was terrible.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Uma and Arnold are the best parts of the whole movie, you kidding?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

My favorite part is Freeze in his lair in his robe and slippers rocking out in his chair watching a Christmas special while all his henchmen are just freezing their asses off.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
B&R is one of the movies I was so excited for when I was little but I don't think I ever saw it in the cinema.

See also: The Lost World: Jurassic Park, Wild Wild West et al.

The ones I got really excited for and then did see were the Phantom Menace and LXG.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

purple death ray posted:

Uma and Arnold are the best parts of the whole movie, you kidding?

As far as being so terrible they're entertaining, yeah, I agree.

I think we're largely on the same page here. The chuckle I got was Schumacher basically saying "yeah, the movie was poo poo for sure and I admit to it, but lost in all that was Uma Thurman's really great, underrated performance". She was as howlingly bad as everyone else in it, which are only things making that turd worth watching.

It sounded like Joel S was actually trying to say that Uma nailed it as Poison Ivy amidst a sea of really bad performances and was some sort of stand out when everyone in it laughably sucked.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

There's a Cracked article today about weird backstage stories and there's a quote from Chris O'Donnell that he never actually worked with Arnold on B&R because for any scene that wasn't a close up it was a double.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

There's a famous story Kevin Smith tells about it where Joel Schumaker was hyping everyone up on the first day of shooting and shouted out "Remember everybody! This is a cartoon! IT'S A CARTOON!"

It's told like a horror story, but u wish more movies would every once in a while say ok, let's be a cartoon.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Smith's superman story about meeting the producer (at the time) is always great.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

There's been no official word on Uncle Ben dying in the battle of New York. That's just speculation.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

Al Borland Corp. posted:

There's a famous story Kevin Smith tells about it where Joel Schumaker was hyping everyone up on the first day of shooting and shouted out "Remember everybody! This is a cartoon! IT'S A CARTOON!"

It's told like a horror story, but u wish more movies would every once in a while say ok, let's be a cartoon.

That sounds fantastic and says more bad things about Kevin Smith than it does about Schumaker

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I just cannot wrap my head around Ned being Ned.

Like the only thing I can come up with is they wrote him and cast him as Ganke, then at the last minute someone decided to save him for a Miles movie and rather than rewriting anything they just picked a random Spider-Man related name and changed that.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Batman Forever had an amazing soundtrack, and I didn't mind Carrey as the Riddler but besides that it sucks. Jones trying to out-ham Carrey made Two-Face a weird villain, Kilmer acted disinterested and yea, the movie sucked.

Outside of Kilmer I think every actor playing Bruce/Batman brought something interesting to the table. Keaton played Bruce as a somewhat socially awkward weirdo (which is quite a unique take when you think about the comics "playboy" portrayal of Bruce) and Clooney played Bruce with the right amount of smug charm. Bale played Bruce as the emotionally stunted grown-up, filled with angst and brooding.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Affleck is your grumpy dad. I don't think they'll ever do Damian, but he'd be so good at scenes interacting with him

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Calaveron posted:

That sounds fantastic and says more bad things about Kevin Smith than it does about Schumaker

Go check out that documentary someone posted earlier. It talks about it ("it's a cartoon, etc.") and how Schumaker ran the franchise off the rails.

Here it is:

https://www.youtube.com/w...pzSOHrJi6Q

There's a Superman one too made by the same guys that I wound up watching.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I'm really skeptical of any attempt to lay all of B&R at Schumacher's feet, when so much of it smacks of executive meddling. Documentaries also make it pretty drat easy to push a particular point they want it to, so you have to be careful with these kinds of things.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Death of Superman Lives is really good and actually paints the movie in a way better light than Smith ever did. It shows production art and models and poo poo that woukd have been legitimatly cool to see.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

twistedmentat posted:

Death of Superman Lives is really good and actually paints the movie in a way better light than Smith ever did. It shows production art and models and poo poo that woukd have been legitimatly cool to see.

It would be better if they'd made a version that completely cuts out the goober that made the film and where it cuts to him for a reaction shot for some reason every time a person of note is speaking.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

At D23, Disney has a Thanos statue on display with 4 covered figures behind it they'll be revealing tomorrow.

Probably our first look at the worst kept secret from that movie.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Sounds like they're introducing the Black Order. I wasn't aware there was much speculation, news, or leaks about them.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

There's been photos of a stunt guy in a motion suit with EB MAW written on it, and another stunt person very clearly carrying Corvus Glaive's weapon.

I don't know who gets cut though. Black Dwarf is the most boring.

Edit: Also one actor has described his part as Thanos' right hand man, and that he's been working closely with 3 other actors.

Aphrodite fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Jul 15, 2017

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

well of course they'd use Ebony Maw. How can you NOT use a guy named Ebony Maw?

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

Aphrodite posted:

At D23, Disney has a Thanos statue on display with 4 covered figures behind it they'll be revealing tomorrow.

Probably our first look at the worst kept secret from that movie.

That Thanos statue looks pretty nice. I would prefer him to look like he did in the post-credit scene at the end of Avengers 2. All armored up and poo poo.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I mean

he probably doesn't dress that way all the time

probably rather uncomfortable tbh

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Oh man. It's so Kirby. It's so beautiful.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Aphrodite posted:

There's been photos of a stunt guy in a motion suit with EB MAW written on it, and another stunt person very clearly carrying Corvus Glaive's weapon.

I don't know who gets cut though. Black Dwarf is the most boring.

Edit: Also one actor has described his part as Thanos' right hand man, and that he's been working closely with 3 other actors.

That, and his name is bad. I forget the name of the thing with the arms, but isn't there a whole race of them? Maybe B Dwarf is in, and what's his face is cannon fodder.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I feel like you don't pass up Supergiant. Ninja psychic vampire seems like a lock. Proxima has a cool look.

Black Dwarf is basically Abomination.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Go go Thanos Rangerrrrrrrrrrrrs

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/EvangelineLilly/status/885061059547197441

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
Jack Kirby has kids and kin who are being showered in money and recognition right

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

Calaveron posted:

Jack Kirby has kids and kin who are being showered in money and recognition right

I think so. Apparently they honored Jack Kirby by inducting him into Disney's Legends (along with Stan Lee), and his son is there to accept.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

I like it. Close enough for the association, but different enough to be unique to The Wasp. Isn't Ant-Man also getting a new suit in the sequel?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Calaveron posted:

Lol nope

• Locked thread