Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alpha Kenny Juan
Apr 11, 2007

The Colonel posted:

my favorite part of gamers is how the entire first half of the first episode is the show snickering and saying "HEY, GET READY, THIS CHARACTER GETS TOOOOTALLY SCREWED"

The MC isn't a gamer, he is a player. :smug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Dive ep 2 mostly sucked, but there were brief glimpses of a more interesting show here and there. I'll drop it if the next one doesn't have a good hook.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

More like Contards

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
I've now watched the first eps of New Game+, Centaur's Worries, and Made in Abyss (which I keep on trying to spell as "Maid in Abyss" - likely the title for a future unfortunate douj). All good!

New Game was more New Game, Centaur displayed both the cute and unsettling sides of the manga, and Abyss, which I was pretty much totally unfamiliar with, had gorgeous backgrounds, unique character designs, good animation, and an intriguing setting, on top of being fun and funny. All keepers, I think.

I love the backgrounds so much!

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

e: wrong thread

Yaoi Gagarin fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Jul 14, 2017

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Mahoujin Guru Guru is good.

Also, here's the full opening
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ICvBtinJe-c

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

so princess principal is pretty cool

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

El Burbo posted:

Playing counter strike with a controller

Freaking dropped

It's me, I'm the one who played 300 hours of counterstrike on xbox's bank level.

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse

VostokProgram posted:

so princess principal is pretty cool

Princess Principal is so far my favorite of the season. I was immediately down for Steampunk Magical Girl Secret Agents and the first episode nailed it, I can only hope it keeps up that level of quality.

The title made me think it was some kind of cutesy shoujo school life thing when it absolutely isn't, it's what we wanted Joker Game to be

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

I mean, it is a cute school life thing it's just also other things as well.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
So far for me (banging tunes in all titles):

Great Tier
Good Tier
Guilty Pleasure Tier

Anything else you goons recommend?

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
Second episode of Tsurezure Children wasn't quite as good as the first, but I'll stay with it for now.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

If you're willing to watch the Gyaru show you're willing to watch almost anything.

fake edit clarification: what was actually produced as the Gyaru show, not the conceptual potential.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

I watched smartphone and it was ok. Blandest protagonist ever, bland setting, bland everything. But I'm going to keep watching it because it isn't bad. It's like flavourless crisps, but you enjoy how crunchy it is and so you keep eating it anyway.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Wark Say posted:

Great Tier
Good Tier
Guilty Pleasure Tier

not posting like this

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
gyaruko is a better gyaru show than this season's

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

dogsicle posted:

not posting like this

I thought it was a good post and we should have more like it

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

dogsicle posted:

not posting like this

Actually it's a cool technique

Wark you should watch Dive

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

dogsicle posted:

not posting like this

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

The Colonel posted:

By far. I'm probably dropping this season's Gyaru. I don't know if the show lends itself to a 24 minute format. Studio Feel understood the source material of Gyaruko perfectly and that's why it kept it succinct and punchy.

dogsicle posted:

not posting like this
You're right. I should use words.

esselfortium
Jul 19, 2006

Cumulonimbus Antagonistic Posting

dogsicle posted:

not posting like this

you don't have to be so down on your own posting

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
This season so far for me:

Great Tier
  • Kakegurui: It's like they took a good, hard look at stuff like Kaiji, Gamble Fish, Legend of Koizumi (all good-to-excellent in their own right) and such and distilled it to its showiest essentials and still said "Man, screw having a guy MC. Let's make the MC a cute girl who's off her loving rocker". This is probably gonna end up being my Anime of the Year, unless it all goes horribly wrong in an objectively bad way or...
  • Princess Principal ... this show takes its place. So far I'm totally down with the Dieselpunk aesthetic and the approach the MC's are taking.
  • Tsurezure Children HanaKana as Yuki was perfect casting. Pretty fun seeing this animated.
  • Welcome to the Ballroom Shounen Dancing. I need nothing else. The show is pretty drat good. And necks.
  • Symphogear More HOT-BLOODED mecha Magical Girls wrecking poo poo up, owning fools and best MAN. (this might be due to the fact that I've been rewatching the past 3 seasons; still)
Good Tier
Guilty Pleasure Tier
  • Classroom of the elite This felt like Oregairu with whatever subtlety that show/novel had removed.
  • Nestuzou Trap -NTR- It felt fairly... toothless? Like I half-recall the first volume of the manga being a bit more... involved? This felt put out of an assembly line.
  • Hajimete no Gal As mentioned before, not keeping up with this unless the 2nd episode does something different. Is the source material better?
  • Clean Freak! Aoyama-kun Tomokazu Seki's tsukkomi is strong.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

words are good

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

VostokProgram posted:

Actually it's a cool technique

Wark you should watch Dive
Seems to be based on an actual novel. Neat, I'll check it out, then. :)

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

dogsicle posted:

words are good
I wish chumbler would've posted this so I could call him a louse.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

dogsicle posted:

words are good

:allears:

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Davincie fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Jul 14, 2017

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

The Colonel posted:

I looked this up expecting to see something from the mid-00s, but it aired last year?! I'm sensing red flags here...

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

AnacondaHL posted:

I looked this up expecting to see something from the mid-00s, but it aired last year?! I'm sensing red flags here...

Gyaruko is good and you should feel ashamed for doubting it. The only :redflag: is you.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

AnacondaHL posted:

it's just a short anime about a gyaru hanging out with her friends. it's pretty good and the manga has nice art

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
gyaruko is a good girl

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

AnacondaHL posted:

gyaruko is a cool manga that is pretty frank about sex and periods and stuff in a way that is really refreshing, especially for an anime

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

Ooh, I remember now. I chose the Art Club show instead that season.

Sounds like a good backlog rec for a rainy day, ty thread :thumbsup:

K. Flaps
Dec 7, 2012

by Athanatos

:henget:

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Just echoing the praise for Galko-chan. It's just a very earnest, fun show.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

made in abyss, is very good

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

maid in abyss

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Wark Say posted:

Great Tier
Good Tier
Guilty Pleasure Tier

Please do this for every show you watch.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Grouchio posted:

Please do this for every show you watch.
Some of my favorite shows of all time (not the top 4, necessarily):
Please don't ban me, Ryuko

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

wrong thread lol

Davincie fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Jul 15, 2017

• Locked thread