Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best Chat Thread
This poll is closed.
anime chat thread 13 8.02%
anime chat thread 2.22 - A SODOM BORN OF THE HUNDRED YEARS WAR 11 6.79%
SHIN ANIME CHAT THREAD 3: THE LAST DAY OF THE EARTH 7 4.32%
ANIME CHAT THREAD 4: NEW AGE OF HEROES 1 0.62%
ANIME CHAT THREAD V: BEEF TENDENCY END 7 4.32%
ANIME CHAT THREAD VI: animemonogatari 16 9.88%
anime chat thread vii: 600 pages in like a week 3 1.85%
anime chat thread viii: a bowl of visible aids 7 4.32%
Anime Chat Thread IX: the desert of battle 1 0.62%
anime chat thread x: gifs of takane shijou eating 14 8.64%
anime chat thread xi: the beast that cried 'gas' at the heart of the world 16 9.88%
anime chat thread xii: the one where fire emblem comes out 8 4.94%
anime chat thread the 13th: no art dumps 5 3.09%
anime chat thread 14: this one probably won't get to 2000+ pages 3 1.85%
Chat Thead 15: Post your favorite robot and/or touhou itt 22 13.58%
Anime Chat Thread The Sixteenth: Frequently Anime Questions 3 1.85%
Anime Chat Thread Dimension XV-II: No More Eroes 2: Dawn of the New World 8 4.94%
Anime Chat Thread Part 18: (M)AIDS 17 10.49%
Total: 162 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
theyre gonna fight a kiss in space?

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.

Blhue posted:

They're gonna fight Paul Stanley?

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Blhue posted:

it ended up being pythagoras

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

fight me in space

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Blhue posted:

KISS look exactly like something you'd fight in space

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

space fight space fight

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Homeless Friend posted:

Well they do have the Starchild and Space Ace.

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum

Blhue posted:

me in the middle

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Space, where no one can hear you chuu

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
It can be really fun to read spoilers for manga you don't read, especially if they are usagi-drop-manga-ending tier

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
https://my.mixtape.moe/fryeys.webm

luv the congo sisters

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
Saw a clip of Guilty Gear in an anime.
Was called Gamers I believe. Never before, have I been interested this fast in an new anime

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
It always warms my heart to see the "Cool Beauty" image shatter. :allears:

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Homeless Friend posted:

checks out

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ivJZljEostE

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Hello, pals, I have a question I was hoping someone could answer. I saw the Tekkonkreet film and loved it so I bought the manga with some birthday money. It arrived today and reads left to right instead of right to left like I'm used to. I assumed the publisher just did a simple image flip but all the pictures with drawn text etc. are still the correct way around. Then I theorised that maybe they just swapped panels from side to side but then I realised that would mean the text boxes would still have to be read right to left but they are also correctly flipped. Any thoughts on how they did this?

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

EmmyOk posted:

Hello, pals, I have a question I was hoping someone could answer. I saw the Tekkonkreet film and loved it so I bought the manga with some birthday money. It arrived today and reads left to right instead of right to left like I'm used to. I assumed the publisher just did a simple image flip but all the pictures with drawn text etc. are still the correct way around. Then I theorised that maybe they just swapped panels from side to side but then I realised that would mean the text boxes would still have to be read right to left but they are also correctly flipped. Any thoughts on how they did this?

they could have redrawn the text

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

EmmyOk posted:

Here's a look at how they localised the Akira manga the first time that might offer some insight.
https://www.comicsgrid.com/articles/10.16995/cg.59/

Good god, what a lot of extra work went into this stuff back in the day.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

What a pain in the rear end for basically no gain because it turns out that reading the other direction isn't a freaking problem.

quote:

The problems caused by flipping are well-known (Brienza 2009): on the one hand, all characters appear to be left-handed (see e.g. Kaindl 2004: 200). This problem is evident in Akira in scenes such as the one in the 24th Epic issue, in which Dr Dubrovsky (or Dobrovsky – in Japanese, his name is spelled with the katakana syllable ド (do)) is introduced to various colleagues, and in the translations, they all shake hands with their left hand. In the original (p. 16 in the 5th collected volume), they use their right hand here, and in general characters are usually depicted as right-handed. While handedness is never a plot point in Akira, the mirroring problem becomes more obtrusive in certain plot elements, such as the ‘Numbers’ (children with paranormal abilities) having a number tattooed on their right/left palm (see also below), or Tetsuo having his right/left arm shot off in a laser blast. This reading experience must have been particularly odd for readers who had also seen the (unmirrored) Akira animated film which was released around the same time as the manga.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
iirc because mirroring would have altered the artwork too much, for Blade of the Immortal they cut the panels up and rearranged them

kind of amazing they did all that work that is solved nowadays by a single page at the back that says "wrong way, dumbass"

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

ayahi takagaki mentioned that she wants genderswaps in the symph mobile game so now there's tons of fanart of genderswapped symphogears

thank you, ayahi takagaki

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I'll allow it.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
kirikid and shiraboy

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
genderswapped genjuro...

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

The Colonel posted:

genderswapped genjuro...

...Oh my.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

The Colonel posted:

kirikid and shiraboy

Himbiki and Mario

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

chumbler posted:

Himbiki and Mario

...I'm trying to think what Hebiki would even look like, and all that comes to mind is basically Kid Goku with brown hair.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Endorph posted:

ayahi takagaki mentioned that she wants genderswaps in the symph mobile game so now there's tons of fanart of genderswapped symphogears

I guess that's one way of adding some interest. I'm already noticing that there's not much meaningful variety between the different Symphogear cards in-game.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Sefal posted:

Saw a clip of Guilty Gear in an anime.
Was called Gamers I believe. Never before, have I been interested this fast in an new anime

you're pretty easy to impress arent you

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

How do you get good at guilty gear. Asking for a friend. They mostly play ky

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

VostokProgram posted:

How do you get good at guilty gear. Asking for a friend. They mostly play ky

Step 1: Play as Bridget
Step 2: Realize you win regardless of what the game says.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
I have Cruncyroll account. What anime should I watch? I was watching One Piece but am switching to the manga. Any good shows where the anime is as good or better than the manga?

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

punk rebel ecks posted:

I have Cruncyroll account. What anime should I watch? I was watching One Piece but am switching to the manga. Any good shows where the anime is as good or better than the manga?

What do you like watching?

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

punk rebel ecks posted:

Kemono Friends

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

punk rebel ecks posted:

There's a ton of backlog on Crunchy, so you can catch all sorts of great shows, whether they're drama, mystery, action, comedy, shorts, shounen, magical girls, etc. It wouldn't be a bad idea to just wing it and try a few first episodes by their descriptions.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Julias posted:

There's a ton of backlog on Crunchy, so you can catch all sorts of great shows, whether they're drama, mystery, action, comedy, shorts, shounen, magical girls, etc. It wouldn't be a bad idea to just wing it and try a few first episodes by their descriptions.

Yes hello I also work for Crunchyroll marketing.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
watch Natsume

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Not a cute boy, just a boring girl.
Watch Symphogear.

Red Minjo
Oct 20, 2010

Out of the houses, which is the most blue?

The answer might not be be obvious at first.

Gravy Boat 2k
If you can watch all five billion episodes of One Piece, you can watch Gintama.

also, Kemono Friends

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Click the random button and let fate guide you

• Locked thread