Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

This guy fell on me today as I was trying to get into my apartment:

Eastern click beetle/grapevine beetle. Pretty good size, too! I was startled to heck and back.

my cat is norris fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Jul 13, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

my cat is norris posted:

This guy fell on me today as I was trying to get into my apartment:

Eastern click beetle/grapevine beetle. Pretty good size, too! I was startled to heck and back.

Where on earth are those called click beetles?

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Mak0rz posted:

Because they make a clicking sound when they jump.

EDIT: I read that as "why on earth", but am leaving my shame for everybody to see.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Mak0rz posted:

IN MY IMAGINATION!!! I misread a thing while Googling. :v:

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever
Can someone identify this insect? I encountered it in a park near Ashland, Kentucky. I would've liked to get better pictures but I only had time for two quick shots as it scurried across a wooden bridge before disappearing into the foliage.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
Cicindela sexguttata, or six-spotted tiger beetle.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

It's a six spotted tiger beetle

E: dang

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Cool, thanks. It was a really nice green color so I wanted to be able to look up higher quality pictures of the species.

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!
Summertime, critters abound.

Chilling by a lake canal where a café is located, close to the town center, a family of mute swans approach, and predictably the parent swan hisses at me.

Two mating burnets (Zygaena filipendulae, I believe).

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
So I know this is the cute bug thread but I can't find the ugly bug thread so I figured I'd ask here -

Woke up to a bunch of these assholes in my basement today, around my washing machine. Technically found them first in the dryer, so my assumption was they came in through the dryer vent.

My assumption is young wasps, but I can't tell for sure. I set off a bug bomb and killed a bunch of them, but I suspect it's just wave 1. Should I burn the house down?

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Those look like ant alates, the winged breeding form.

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!

Medullah posted:

So I know this is the cute bug thread but I can't find the ugly bug thread so I figured I'd ask here -

Woke up to a bunch of these assholes in my basement today, around my washing machine. Technically found them first in the dryer, so my assumption was they came in through the dryer vent.

My assumption is young wasps, but I can't tell for sure. I set off a bug bomb and killed a bunch of them, but I suspect it's just wave 1. Should I burn the house down?

Someone who knows American hymenopterans better than me will give you are more precise answer, but they are ants, that much I can tell.

Falukorv fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Jul 14, 2017

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
Last night, this GIANT moth (well, relatively giant for what I usually see around here) made it into my house somehow. I found out by my girlfriend SCREAMING at the top of her lungs when she stepped out of the shower and sawe this guy on the floor, just chillin' (she has some sort of mothphobia, if that's a thing...)

Just wonderin' what kind of moth he is, since I don't recall ever seeing one like this before.
I'm in Vermont, if that helps:

About 2" long, if I had to guess.

Sorry for the blurriness, he was NOT happy to be in the plastic tub, put him right back outside where he belongs after I took a few photos.
But you can see he's got reddish-pink areas right where his wings meet his body, and a black strip down his thorax. When he was still, I could see his wings were a little jagged at the bottom, definitely some good leaf camouflage.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Looks like a sphinx moth. Pics aren't great, but I'd wager blinded sphinx moth, Paonias excaecata judging by the pink hind wings and dark stripe. Should have taken a shot of the dorsal side.

Sphinx moths are awesome. Really big and pretty, but they tend to only come out real late at night.

And yeah fear of moths is a thing. I know lots of people like that. Those same people love butterflies, though :shrug:

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Falukorv posted:

Someone who knows American hymenopterans better than me will give you are more precise answer, but they are ants, that much I can tell.

the yeti posted:

Those look like ant alates, the winged breeding form.

Thanks, I was thinking that but didn't see prominent pincers so I wasn't sure. After doing a lot of Google image searching I think that's what it is. Love home ownership.

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

On a hike a few weeks ago I got a picture of what I assume is an Eastern Tiger Swallowtail. They're apparently pretty common, but I'd never seen one in West Virginia before. I was quite excited by how large and colorful it was.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
The snakes are still... co-habitating? Guess that's the right word. (I liked the 'living in bin' thing.)

I really wasn't aware that different species of snakes would live together in the wild. They've been there for a couple of months now.

I'm also falling a bit behind on turning the compost over, for some reason.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

What snakes do in the privacy of their own bin is none of my business... :shrug:

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
Must be enough easy prey around or else that garter snake would be seen as food too.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
Used to be a lot of mice in there, must still be some in the area. There's another bin right next to it.

OneTwentySix
Nov 5, 2007

fun
FUN
FUN

Snakes will cohabitate, but the majority of snakes aren't social - they just happen to be there for the same reason - it looks like a good basking site with nearby food. Milk snakes do eat other snakes, though, so that's kinda crazy on the garter, but it's not uncommon to find two or more snakes of multiple species together at the same spot - rattlesnakes and copperheads frequently share dens, for example.

Rattlesnakes actually are social - there's some neat research being done on rattlesnake social behavior. It's usually the mother and her offspring - they'll share basking spots for months after birth, as well as some other neat behaviors.

Cumslut1895
Feb 18, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
came across a pretty large group of wallabies. She had a joey in her pouch.

also a group of brown and rainbow trout, made me wish I'd brought my spinning gear

Tangents
Aug 23, 2008

interrupted some guy's lunch

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Doot

Saw a bunch of Atala butterflies and caterpillars as well, but failed to get pictures.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

It looks like one of those old man brushes missing half the hairs :3:

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Bug dump! Various pics of varying quality from spring/summer in Pittsburgh, PA. Apologies for any reposts, I can't remember what I have or haven't shared so far.

Duck mutts. Dutts?

Find the baby!

:butt:

Why do they do this?

What's the difference between those with fuzzy yellow butts and those with almost-naked butts?

He's probably green.

A different guy more obviously green.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

my cat is norris posted:

What's the difference between those with fuzzy yellow butts and those with almost-naked butts?

Different bumble bee species have different hair colors, lengths, and (I think) densities on various parts of their bodies.* Hair length and (especially) color is a handy identification diagnostic for many species. This bee's butt is actually covered entirely in black hair, but the way the pile is scattering the light kind of makes it seem mostly bald with faint white stripes.

The hair also thins as they age from rubbing against things such as flowers parts, the hive entrance, and other bees in the colony throughout their life. You tend to see it mostly on the thorax, where they'll get a black bald spot right between the wings. Some species naturally always have a dark or bald spot on the thorax though, so its not necessarily evidence of an older bee depending on the species.

If the abdomen is almost completely bald and looks vaguely like the texture of a polished black boot, you got yourself a carpenter bee instead.

* EDIT: Sometimes there's even a lot of hair color variety within a species, such as with Bombus rufocinctus:

(image source)

Mak0rz fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Jul 20, 2017

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
~summer is the time for loving~

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GAP6Dq-ZsF4

I think it's loving, anyways. The video is long because I was hoping something else would happen but eventually a bee came by and the video goes out of focus so you're not missing much after the first bit.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

Are these honey bees?

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.

Those things sure do make some funny noises.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Enfys posted:

Are these honey bees?

Nope, they're hover flies (Family Syrphidae)! Many species of hover fly are bee/wasp mimics.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

I'm glad you came and posted about my bumblebees, Mak! Thanks very much for the info.

ijii
Mar 17, 2007
I'M APPARENTLY GAY AND MY POSTING SUCKS.

Sammus posted:

Look at this big rear end in a top hat I found within 30 seconds of stepping onto my back stoop and shining a UV light around! It's not a bark scorpion, but I still wouldn't want to gently caress around with him.

Yikes, that scorpion is quite a fatty. I've never seen such a big body to skinny legs ratio.

I found this on my bedroom floor just now:

The consensus last time I posted one of these, was that this isn't a bark scorpion either. I guess bark scorpions have thinner tails. I believe this scorpion is a yellow scorpion.

e: Should mention that this is in southern Arizona for those that care.

ijii fucked around with this message at 07:53 on Jul 21, 2017

Cumslut1895
Feb 18, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Cumslut1895 posted:

came across a pretty large group of wallabies. She had a joey in her pouch.

Can anyone identify the particular species of wallaby? for context, I'm in New Zealand

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.
Banff and Jasper critters from last month.

Clark's nutcracker.

Crow enjoying some watermelon rind.

Magpie on the prowl.

Annoyed swallow parent.

Apparently Canmore has quite a feral rabbit problem.

Morning run with some locals.

Black bear near Jasper.

Grizzlies on the Lake Louise ski hill.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
You claim you were at Banff and yet I see no wasp photos... :confused:

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

I visited a Atlantic puffin colony on the Faroe Islands

Hundreds, if not thousands, of birds all around you, not giving a poo poo that you're sitting in the middle of the colony. It was amazing.

Skutter
Apr 8, 2007

Well you can fuck that sky high!

The swallow parent and the puffins :swoon:

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

Chinston Wurchill posted:

Annoyed swallow parent.

So cross :kimchi:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

My fiance made a friend yesterday:

Yoga bee is using downward dog pose to help with her wing cleaning. She's quite cute!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vR4ezyWzSNI