Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rebonack7
Aug 27, 2015

quote:

It's amazing! Marcie, Lara, and Martin are acting as if they see ghosts every day. So much for scaring them out of the mansion! You need a new plan.

Lara eyes Professor Krupnik. "What's it like to be a ghost?" she asks. The ghost seems startled by the question.

"It's... it's..." he stammers.

Now Marcie and Martin swarm around him, firing questions at him. "Can you appear in other forms?" "How long have you been a ghost?" "What do you do all day?"

To your amazement, the ghost starts to smile. He holds up his shadowy hands. "Slow down. I can answer only one question at a time."

He actually seems to be enjoying the attention! Maybe it's lonely being a ghost. You get a great idea.

"Fellow teammates," you announce. "I nominate Professor Krupnik as the newest member of the Horror Club." When you see the grin on the ghost's face, you know this was the perfect solution.

Just in time, too. After an unanimous vote, Professor Krupnik mutters some strange words and waves his arms. Whatever he did, it worked! The sun drops below the horizon - and you're still a kid! You settle down to listen to the ghost's scary stories, thrilled that this adventure has come to a happy

END

Character Sheet posted:

Inventory
Empty

Goal Endings: 0/2

Bad Endings
Locked into the Bat House at the zoo.
Dragged underground by the spirits of the vengeful dead.
Permanently turned into a bat, along with all our friends.

Achievements
Batkin Robbins: Invent a new ice cream flavor.
:siren:Old Haunt: Induct a new member into the Horror Club.:siren:

Our options posted:

• Ignore Nick and go through the door.
  • Join the Red Team.
  • Crawl through the hole.
  • Leave for the crypt immediately.
  • Go to Marcie's house.
  • Run from the voice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
:3:

Let's join the red team.

Epicmissingno
Jul 1, 2017

Thank gooness we all get along so well!
We should finish off the blue team's ending before heading off to the red team. I say we should run from the voice.

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Had we turned left instead, we may have encountered something like this...
Wait, that's not a good ending?

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

I didn't like your old red text so here's some dancing cash. :10bux:

Ratatozsk posted:

I also am confused as that seems cool as hell.

Rebonack7
Aug 27, 2015

Ratatozsk posted:

While it's technically a good ending, it isn't one of the goal endings I set. I counted it as an achievement, but the "real" ending for this route has yet to be found.

inflatablefish
Oct 24, 2010

Epicmissingno posted:

We should finish off the blue team's ending before heading off to the red team. I say we should run from the voice.

Yeah, if we start switching between teams then we'll just end up getting confused about what's going on. I concur with running away.

Rebonack7
Aug 27, 2015

quote:

You run to the mansion as fast as you can. You don't want to find out who or what would make a sound like that! When you've put some distance between you and the voice, you glance back. Nothing. Maybe you were just imagining things.

Just to be safe, though, you quickly pull the boards away from the door and enter Bat Wing Hall. You find a good spot to hide, behind a tattered armchair - why take chances? You curl up and wait.

Your aching muscles tell you you've been sitting there for a lot longer than an hour. Peering through the smudgy windows, you can see the sun has dropped low on the horizon.

What if your friends don't show up until after you've turned back into a bat?

quote:

Then you hear laughter and footsteps. You jump up from your hiding place and peek out the window. Marcie, Lara, and Martin are standing on the porch. You rush outside.

"Sorry we're late," Marcie tells you. "But we stopped for pizza. Want some?" She holds the pizza box out toward you. Normally triple cheese with extra pepperoni would make your mouth water, but today it smells disgusting. You're more in the mood for moths.

"No thanks," you say. You have no time to lose. "Listen, you've got to come with me to the cemetery." You grab Marcie's arm, but she yanks it back.

"I know I'm acting weird," you explain quickly. "But there's a reason. The other night at the graveyard, something happened. I was transformed - into a bat."

"Right!" Lara cries. "And I became the Bride of Frankenstein."

"It's true," you insist.

Martin snorts. "Great story!" he says, laughing.

"Yeah," Marcie agrees. "Why don't you save it for the next meeting of the Horror Club?"

"It's not a story!" You are practically yelling. In just a few seconds, the sun will go down and you'll never be able to explain!

quote:

You watch, horrified, as the red sun sinks into the distance. At the same moment, you feel hairs sprouting all over your body. Your shoulders start to ache as your arms turn into bat wings. A moment later, you're hovering over the heads of your friends.

Lara lets out a scream. Marcie's jaw has dropped open so wide you can see her fillings. Martin looks impressed.

"Did you see what happened?" Marcie exclaims. "The story was true!"

"I wouldn't believe it if I hadn't seen it!" Martin says.

"Did you say you need our help?" Lara asks you. She seems frightened, but also concerned.

"I need you to help me close the Krupnik Crypt," you squeak. But they can't understand your bat language.

How can you get them to help you now? You start to fly across the street, toward the cemetery. Your friends only watch you, puzzled.

"Maybe it's hungry," Lara suggests. "Should we catch some insects for it?"

Frustrated, you fly back to your waiting friends. Again, you fly toward the cemetery, again you return.

"I know what it's doing!" Martin says suddenly.

quote:

"I think I know what it's doing," Martin repeats. "It must be practicing flying. It looks kind of cool. I wish I could be a bat."

This is ridiculous.

You're starting to get mad. You fly back across the street again. But this time you keep going. You head straight for the Krupnik Crypt.

"It wants us to follow it!" Lara guesses. Finally! You knew you liked Lara best. She runs after you. The others follow close behind. Soon all four of you are gathered in front of the crypt.

"I wonder why it led us here?" Marcie asks. They all stare at you expectantly.

How can you make them understand that the door needs to be shut? You hover over the dreadful words: WHO TURNS THE STONE WILL GROW BAT BONES.

Marcie watches you, then peers at the words. "Maybe the crypt has something to do with the transformation," she says.

"Yes!" you squeak. "That's it!" But of course they can't understand you. How can you get them to close the door.

Land on the metal ring on the door? Or fly into the crypt?

If you decide to fly into the crypt, soar to PAGE 112.

If you decide to perch on the ring, turn to PAGE 98.

Character Sheet posted:

Inventory
Empty

Bad Endings

Achievements
Old Haunt: Induct a new member into the Horror Club.

inflatablefish
Oct 24, 2010
Fly into the crypt so they can all get cursed the same as us!

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~
Your lovely shrine maiden fox wife, Tamamo no Mae, is here to help!

Why the gently caress are they calling us 'it'?! Assholes! We're still your friend! Ya know what? Let's spread the curse to these jerks!

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Make Martin's wish come true. Fly into the crypt.

VivaLa Eeveelution
Apr 3, 2011

They'll probably just close the crypt behind us if we fly in there.

Then there'll be a crypt door between us and them.

Fly in there ASAP, is what I'm saying.

Rebonack7
Aug 27, 2015

quote:

You decide your best bet is to fly into the crypt. You hope your friends will get the idea to shut the door. First, you swoop around the door to the crypt.

"What's it doing?" Lara asks her friends.

"I think it's trying to tell us the door is important," Marcie says.

"Yes!" you squeak. This might actually work! You fly into the crypt. Then you fly out again.

Martin cries, "I get it! We're supposed to close the door!"

You squeak happily and nod. You fly out of the crypt and watch while Martin grasps the ring then pushes the door.

Clang! The door slams shut. But nothing happens. Then you feel a tingling sensation in your wings. A moment later, you're standing on the ground. You're a kid again!

"Hooray!" you cry. "It worked!"

"Cool!" Marcie says. "But where did Martin go?"

You glance all around, but there's no sign of your friend.

"Oh, no!" Lara suddenly cries. "Look!"

Your eyes follow where she's pointing. You see a large bat above your heads. It's fluttering very strangely, as if it doesn't really know how to fly. Uh-oh.

quote:

"Uh, I think that's Martin," you tell Lara and Marcie. The three of you exchange a glance, then stare up at the clumsy bat. There's no doubt about it. Martin turned the ring, so he has been transformed.

"How can we turn him back into a kid?" Marcie asks.

"Maybe if we open the door again," Lara suggests. She reaches for the crypt door.

"No!" you cry. "We don't know what will happen-"

But it's too late. As soon as Lara opens the door she vanishes. But Martin is still a bat!

"Where's Lara?" Marcie cries.

"RIBBIT!" You look down at your feet. A small frog is hopping up to you. "RIBBIT!"

"I think she's been turned into a frog," you reply.

"This is terrible," Marcie cries. "What can we do?"

quote:

"Maybe there are instructions inside the crypt," you say. You enter, and now you see more writing on the inside of the door. Somehow you never noticed it before:

WARNING: DO NOT USE THE POWER OF THE RING MORE THAN ONCE PER YEAR. RESULTS CAN BE UNPREDICTABLE.

You point out the words to Marcie.

"Oh, no!" she cries. "What can we do now?"

You gaze at your changed friends sadly. Martin seems to be better at flying now, but Lara is having trouble hopping.

"I think we'll have to wait till next year," you tell her.

Marcie hurries across the street to the mansion and returns with an old shoe box. Carefully, you put Lara and Martin into it.

"Don't worry," you say to them. "We'll be able to turn you back in a year. And in the meantime, we'll take very good care of you."

Now all you have to do is figure out how to tell your mother about your strange new pets!

THE END

Have to say, I'm surprised how many of you guessed what would happen if we flew into the crypt.

Character Sheet posted:

Inventory
Empty

Bad Endings
:siren:Lifted the curse on ourselves, but accidentally cursed two of our friends.:siren:

Achievements
:siren:You Have Chosen Poorly: Encounter a total of 25 bad endings.:siren:

Our options posted:

• Join the Red Team.
  • Go to Marcie's house.
  • Perch on the ring.

Rebonack7 fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Jul 12, 2017

inflatablefish
Oct 24, 2010

Rebonack7 posted:

Have to say, I'm surprised how many of you guessed what would happen if we flew into the crypt.

I wasn't expecting it to cure us at the same time, I just thought they'd get screwed over!

How about we backtrack to perching on the ring?

Rebonack7
Aug 27, 2015

quote:

You fly toward the ring and perch on it. You take a moment to look each of your friends directly in the eyes.

"You have to turn the ring!" you instruct. "You have to close the door to the crypt!"

"What's it squeaking about?" Martin asks.

"I don't know," Lara replies. "But it seems to have something to do with the ring on the door."

Marcie has been peering intently at the door. "I think this door used to be closed," she says. "Maybe that's what it's telling us. Maybe it wants us to shut the door."

"Yes, yes, yes!" you squeak. You're so happy you could kiss her, but you figure it would gross her out.

Marcie begins to push on the door. It barely budges.

"Let me help!" says Martin. He pushes, too, and then Lara joins in, but the door hardly moves.

"It's too heavy!" Marcie complains. "We can't shut it."

Oh, no! What are you going to do?

quote:

Maybe, you think, the ring has to turn before the door is shut.

You're not sure you're strong enough to do it. But you are determined to try.

You swoop down and perch on the rusty ring. Then, while your friends continue to push on the door , you grasp the iron ring in your tiny claws and try to turn it.

At first, nothing happens.

You take a deep breath and try again. Every little bat muscle in you strains. You grunt, you groan. You're shaking all over from the effort.

But at last, the ring starts to turn. And you can feel the door moving inch by tiny inch.

A green mist bubbles out of the tomb. "What's that?" Marcie cries.

"Keep pushing!" you squeak.

Luckily your Horror Club friends don't need any encouragement. They continue to push. With a deafening CLANK! the door slams shut.

The ground begins to shake. You hear thunder, and lightning crackles across the sky. An instant later, Lara screams. Your teammates are all staring at you.

Did closing the tomb work?

quote:

"I don't believe it!" Lara shrieks, pointing at you.

You realize you and Lara are eye-to-eye. That's a promising sign. With your heart pounding, you dare to glance down at your feet. Where only a moment ago, you had claws, now you see your favorite sneakers. Hooray!

You're a kid again!

"We did it!" Marcie cries.

"Welcome back!" Lara says. "What was it like being a bat?"

"How did it happen?" Martin wants to know.

You don't even know where to begin.

Besides, you're sick of the whole thing. You don't want to even think about flying, or eating bugs, or hanging upside down.

"I promise I'll tell you all about it," you tell them. "But not now. It will be my scary story the next time the Horror Club meets."

THE END

Character Sheet posted:

Inventory
Empty

:siren:Goal Endings: 1/2:siren:

Bad Endings
Lifted the curse on ourselves, but accidentally cursed two of our friends.

Achievements
You Have Chosen Poorly: Encounter a total of 25 bad endings.

Our options posted:

• Join the Red Team.
  • Go to Marcie's house.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Right.

Go for Red Team (the best team).

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Marcie's House

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Red Team time!

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~

Red Team, go!

Rebonack7
Aug 27, 2015

quote:

"I choose the Red Team," you announce.

"Fine," Marcie says. "The Red Team will stay in the house for the games. The Blue Team will go outside. See you later!"

Marcie, Lara, and Martin leave the house.

You turn to your new teammates with a smile. You're looking forward to the games.

"I'm glad you're on our team," Nick says. "We're having a scavenger hunt. Everything has to be found inside the house."

"Cool," you reply. "I love scavenger hunts. Where's the list?"

"Here it is," Debbie says, handing you a piece of white paper.

You read the list of items out loud:

"HORROR CLUB SCAVENGER HUNT
  • one human bone
  • three hairs from a werewolf
  • a straw from a witch's broom
  • a piece from a mummy's bandage."

quote:

You read the list again. Then you start to laugh. These guys really take this Horror Club stuff seriously, you think. Still laughing, you point to the list and say, "Great joke. Very funny."

"Why are you laughing?" Connor demands.

"This list - it's a riot," you reply. You wonder why no one else has even cracked a smile.

"It's not a joke," Nick insists. "That's the list for our scavenger hunt."

"Give me a break," you say. "You expect me to believe that? Where would I find those things?"

"In this house," Debbie replies matter-of-factly.

"Yeah, right," you scoff. "I'm supposed to believe that there really are werewolves, and witches, and mummies?"

"It's true," Connor says.

"Do you want me to prove it?" Nick asks with an evil grin. A very evil grin.

quote:

"Okay," you say. "Go ahead."

"You asked for it," Nick says. He glances at Debbie and Connor. They nod with excitement.

What's going on? you wonder.

Slowly Nick brings his hands up to his cheeks. He hooks his thumbs under his chin... and rips his face right off!

You gasp. The head of a green-skinned reptilian monster stares out at you from the top of Nick's body. Slimy scales cover his face and begin to spread down his arms and hands!

"N-N-Nick?" you choke out.

The monster grins at you - with six-inch-long fangs! Its beady yellow eyes gaze at you hungrily.

You turn to Debbie and Connor. And scream.

They are peeling off their kid faces, too!

You gape in horror at Debbie. Her skin is now purple and covered with hideous, oozing warts. Her eyes have turned completely white and seem to bulge out of her head. And her hair - it's wriggling with enormous black tarantulas!

Now you know the truth. These kids are monsters!

quote:

You turn and sprint for the front door.

But the entrance is blocked by Connor. He grabs your shoulder. And you nervously stare up at him - way up.

Connor has turned into a seven-foot-tall giant with one red eye in the middle of his forehead. And the stench coming off his body is unbearable!

"Where are you going?" he growls.

"I, uh, I need to go home," you mumble. You duck under Connor's massive arm and lunge for the doorknob.

And miss.

The monster that used to be Nick beat you to it. Nick locks the door and says, "Not so fast! It's time for the scavenger hunt."

Scavenger hunt? There's no way you're sticking around to play a game with monsters!

Unless this is all a joke. Hey, that's it, you think. It's all a joke. They must be wearing monster costumes.

No! you think again. They can't be wearing costumes. They're way too real-looking.

Quick - you have to make up your mind!

If you're sure it's all a joke, turn to PAGE 13.

If you believe the monsters are real, go to PAGE 71.

Character Sheet posted:

Inventory
Empty

Goal Endings: 1/2

Bad Endings

Achievements

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

These are definitely real monsters but I hope we can be friends with them. After all, the other three kids in the club seem...cool?

On consideration it's kinda weird that whichever team you don't pick just becomes entirely irrelevant to the story given they're all supposed to be one club.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Or hey, maybe it's like the second book and we're just entering a completely divergent universe where the blue team were actually monsters all along too.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Dem be real mon-stars!

ModernMajorGeneral
Jun 25, 2010
Nick is a lizard man? Looks like the Onion was real news again.

It's probably all a joke though.

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!
David Icke was right!

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Also, this is classic Goosebumps grade scary. To a kid I'm pretty sure this scene is deeply upsetting.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I'm curious - did anyone else ever read an unrelated young-persons-scary-book that I had when I was young, called "The Clock of Doom" (Not to be confused with R.L. Stein's opus The Cuckoo Clock of Doom :v:)? It was set in Whitby, and had some interesting visuals in the prose, like the titular clock, which was a fullsized clock tower made of black marble, that hides itself in it's backstory by moving time rapidly forwards to grow an immense forest, and during the climax where the main kid is trying to kill the clock by removing a crystal that powers it (the crystal gives it it's magic powers) the clock is performing what it calls it's Dance of Death where it rapidly moves time forwards and backwards cyclicly so that everyone oscillates between random ages. The main character, due to being at the core, gets the strongest hits, so needs to pull on the stone in the brief moments that he is his own age, as he keeps going fullgrown newborn or basically deathbed old as the clock performs. If this is Goosebumps, that was at least "Are you Afraid of the Dark"

I really liked that book, although I haven't read it in years.

Rebonack7
Aug 27, 2015

BioEnchanted posted:

I'm curious - did anyone else ever read an unrelated young-persons-scary-book that I had when I was young, called "The Clock of Doom" (Not to be confused with R.L. Stein's opus The Cuckoo Clock of Doom :v:)? It was set in Whitby, and had some interesting visuals in the prose, like the titular clock, which was a fullsized clock tower made of black marble, that hides itself in it's backstory by moving time rapidly forwards to grow an immense forest, and during the climax where the main kid is trying to kill the clock by removing a crystal that powers it (the crystal gives it it's magic powers) the clock is performing what it calls it's Dance of Death where it rapidly moves time forwards and backwards cyclicly so that everyone oscillates between random ages. The main character, due to being at the core, gets the strongest hits, so needs to pull on the stone in the brief moments that he is his own age, as he keeps going fullgrown newborn or basically deathbed old as the clock performs. If this is Goosebumps, that was at least "Are you Afraid of the Dark"

I really liked that book, although I haven't read it in years.

Personally, I've never heard of it, but I think I found it through Google-fu. Is this what you're talking about?

quote:

You stare at Nick, Debbie, and Connor's gruesome faces. There's no question they're monsters. Real monsters.

"Let me out of here!" you cry.

Nick still blocks the door. You spot a window in the living room. You take a deep breath and race for it.

You're fast. You always win the fifty-yard dash at school. But against these monsters, you're not fast enough.

Debbie easily beats you to the window. The tarantulas scurry through her spiderweb hair, as she cackles, "There's no way out!"

"Please, let me go home," you plead. "I won't tell anyone your secret. Just let me go."

"No way!" Nick cries, as he enters the living room with Connor. "There's no escape from the Horror Club."

"Well," Debbie says, "that's not exactly true. There is one way out."

You gaze around the room, searching frantically for an exit. The three monsters circle you. You don't see any way past them. "Where is it?" you ask. "How do I get out?"

Nick glares at Debbie.

"Your only hope," Debbie says, ignoring Nick, "is to play the game."

quote:

"What game?" you ask Debbie, your voice trembling.

"The scavenger hunt," she declares.

"If you can find all four items on the list before midnight," Nick adds, "then we'll let you go. If you fail, you will be trapped here with us forever and turned into a monster. Not much of a choice, huh?"

Your knees shake as you review the scavenger hunt list in your mind. Where will you ever find werewolf hair and mummy bandages? Then again, you don't have many options.

But maybe, you think, you can use the time to search for an open window and escape.

"You've only got two hours," Connor growls, looking at the tiny watch on his huge wrist. "You'd better get started."

"You can begin here on the main floor, or go upstairs," Nick tells you, his reptile tongue darting in and out of his mouth. "It's your choice."

Stay on the main floor, turn to PAGE 11.

Try your luck upstairs, go to PAGE 111.

Character Sheet posted:

Inventory
Empty

Bad Endings

Achievements

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Rebonack7 posted:

Personally, I've never heard of it, but I think I found it through Google-fu. Is this what you're talking about?

That's exactly it! I remember it being entertaining but I haven't read it since I was maybe late teens at the latest? Maybe early 20s at a stretch.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
Let's stay on the main floor. Maybe we can get Debbie to give us the item locations.

Gloomy Rube
Mar 4, 2008

Go with the main floor because come on, main character, these are your new friends, don't freak out just 'cause they're a little weird. Now's a good time to get to know them

Rebonack7
Aug 27, 2015

quote:

"I'm going to search the main floor," you tell the monsters.

"Lots of luck!" Nick sneers.

You glance around the dark creepy mansion. You know escape is going to be tough. You decide you'll do the scavenger hunt. You'll play along with the monsters, but still search for a way out. Either way, you promise yourself, you won't let them turn you into a monster!

You search the living room first. A curtain of cobwebs dangles from the ceiling. You have to part them to search the room. Yuck!

The only furniture in the room is an old sofa and two overstuffed chairs. You lift the cushions to search for the creepy things on the list. Could there really be a human bone under there, you wonder? You nearly choke from the flying dust - but no bone.

You peer under the furniture. Nothing.

Then Connor sneaks up on you. He kicks a dust-ball in your face. "The clock is ticking!" he booms. You stare up at his one bloodshot eye and escape into the next room.

It's an old-fashioned dining room. A long wooden table stands in the middle of the room. As you step toward the table, something black and hairy jumps out at you!

quote:

It's a huge black rat - and it scurries across your sneaker! You jump back and scream.

You can hear the rat's sharp claws scratch across the floorboards as it disappears into the living room. You wonder what other gross creatures are crawling around this old house.

You decide to head into the kitchen. Clomp. Clomp. Clomp. You can hear Nick, Debbie, and Connor following you.

"If you're afraid of a little rat," Nick hisses in your ear, "then you're going to be in big trouble later. Big trouble."

You try to ignore Nick, even though your knees shake at his warning. You spot a kerosene lamp on the kitchen table. You pick it up so you can see into the dark corners of the kitchen better.

The kitchen is filled with cupboards, closets, and shelves. Anything could be hidden here!

You pull open drawer after drawer. Clouds of dust make your eyes itch.

Then in the next drawer you open, you see them.

Bandages! But are these mummy's bandages?

You hope they are, shoving several in your pocket. One item off the list, you think.

Then a hideous scream cuts through the air.

quote:

Could it be a human scream? You've never heard a human scream that sounds like that.

You whirl around in the direction of the scream.

Debbie! Debbie is the one screaming.

"NOOOOO!" she shrieks again and hurries over to you.

"Can't you read?" Debbie cries. The warts on her face ooze green goo. "This is not what you want! These aren't mummy bandages!" Debbie snatches the bandages from your pockets and tosses them on the floor. "Don't waste time!" she cries.

You step back and try to think. There's no way to escape from the kitchen - Connor is guarding the doors, and Nick is by the window. You *have* to find the items on that list.

You gaze around and then head for a tall, narrow closet.

And freeze in horror.

A thick pool of something red and sticky is seeping underneath the door. It looks like - blood!

What do you do now?

To open the closet door, turn to PAGE 83.

To go back and check the dining room again, go to PAGE 78.

Character Sheet posted:

Inventory
Empty

Bad Endings

Achievements

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
We'd better open that closet and clean up: Professor Krupnik will be very mad if we let his floor get stains.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Its probably just a stealth game protagonist leaving bodies in the closet again, let's open the closet and see what's inside.

Octatonic
Sep 7, 2010

knowing the full cruelty of children, and knowing it's the 90s, we should keep the closet door closed and wait to come out until we've moved to the city a decade from now. instead, we should just just try to have a nice time at dinner and cry later in our room :(

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Had we turned left instead, we may have encountered something like this...
Open the door, decide jam vs blood

Rebonack7
Aug 27, 2015

quote:

Your heart thuds as you approach the closet door. The pool of blood grows larger on the floor. Slowly, you pull the door open.

And gasp.

There's no dead body in the closet. No dead anything. Only a broken jar. A jar of raspberry jam, dripping onto the floor.

You sigh with relief and explore the closet further. The shelves are crammed with rusty cans of vegetables and moldy sacks of flour. You quickly search all the shelves, but find nothing.

Then you spot it. A plastic shoe box on the bottom shelf.

You reach down and open it. You can't believe your eyes!

Nestled in the center of the box, on a dark piece of cloth, is the skeleton of a human hand!

"Oh, gross," you moan. You try not to wonder whose hand it was and how it got in this box.

"You found our skeleton in the closet!" Debbie sings out.

You nod. You're glad you found something on the list, but you don't want to touch the hand. You start to carry the box away from the closet. But Nick stops you.

"The list says one bone from a human hand, not the whole hand," he reminds you. His reptile tongue darts in and out of his mouth.

You stare down at the hand. One bone!

quote:

You need only one bone. You take a deep breath and grab hold of the skeleton hand. The yellowed fingers feel icy cold. You grasp the pinky and twist. It comes loose with a sickening snap. You drop it in your pocket, and try not to think about it. Too much.

You glance at the list again. Now all you have to do is find the three other items - three hairs from a werewolf, a straw from a witch's broom, and a piece from a mummy's bandage. The faster, the better, you think.

You dart out of the kitchen and return to the dining room.

"Psst. Psst."

You gaze around nervously.

"Over here!" Debbie whispers from a shadowy corner.

quote:

Debbie is standing by herself in the corner. You figure Nick and Connor must still be in the kitchen. You approach cautiously.

"Do you really think this scavenger hunt is for real?" she asks, glancing toward the kitchen.

"Yeah," you say. "You guys promised that you'll let me go if I find the items by midnight."

Debbie starts laughing - a hideous cackling laugh. "Fool!" she cries. "It's a joke! You're never going to make it out!"

You don't know whether to believe it or not.

"What do you mean?" you ask.

Debbie slithers closer. "I'm on your side," she whispers. "I used to be a regular kid like you. Then I joined the Horror Club. Now look what's happened to me!"

You stare in amazement at Debbie's hideous monster face. Is she for real? Was she really once a kid like you?

"I want to help you," she says. "If you follow me, I'll help you escape."

If you think Debbie is telling the truth, follow her on PAGE 86.

If you think it's best to continue the hunt, turn to PAGE 16.

Character Sheet posted:

Inventory
:siren:Human Bone:siren:

Bad Endings

Achievements

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

Debbie hasn't steered us wrong yet; let's follow her!

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~

Following her cannot possibly end poorly!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

She's definitely lying, because these books are tricky like that, but it's weird because she did specifically tell us not go into the house in the first place. Let's trust her!

Also:

Octatonic posted:

knowing the full cruelty of children, and knowing it's the 90s, we should keep the closet door closed and wait to come out until we've moved to the city a decade from now. instead, we should just just try to have a nice time at dinner and cry later in our room :(