Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Everything's going great in here right? Ok, good, I knew I could count on you. I'll just mark every post up til now as read.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

You reminded me of the thing that I think is really gonna go out of fashion quick, those horrible glue-on mosaic panels for kitchen backsplashes.

I think as a general rule of thumb, cheap shortcuts and artificial/simulated finishes get the sledgehammer, while expensive stuff becomes "charmingly retro!" A high-end stainless-steel range is never going to be a detriment to selling a house, but wood laminate flooring, even though I think it looks nice currently, might be.

My dad was installing these in bathrooms 10+ years ago, I don't think they are going away

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Until this past couple pages I'd had the damndest time figuring out what the hell you people meant by "subway tile." I'd only seen one post with tiles that looked like the only subway I have any experience with, the DC metro.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Uh oh didn't you guys hear about how beautiful the subway stations in Russia are yet
http://russiafeed.com/21-breathtaking-photos-of-the-moscow-metro/

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

vonnegutt posted:

Literally every trend is going to fade away in the next decade. That's why it's a trend. Trying to avoid trends by naming 'n' shaming them is a fool's errand: your totally non-trendy, ultra modern solution for a countertop has maybe bought you a decade's time of not being lame.

As I see it, the going-out-of-style stuff is:
- Granite countertops
- Tuscan-style anything
- Medium-brown wood finishes

The current "look" is:
- All white everything
- Exposed beams / brick
- Semi-industrial
- Rehashing midcentury stuff
- Tropical plants

The reason this look is trendy? Because only the richest, chicest places have it right now, and it's all real materials and arranged by an actual designer. Your boutiques, bistros, and fancy hotels all look great because someone spent a lot of time and money making it so. Furthermore, it looks good on Instagram (all-white is easy to white-balance if you suck at photography).

Soon, it will trickle down to the Targets and TJ Maxxs of the world, and everyone can have a slightly watered down, much cheaper version. Then it will degrade further and there will be DIY books written on how to paint an "exposed brick" wall over your lovely drywall. Eventually, all everyone will know will be the garbage version of the look, and everyone will scoff at what terrible taste everyone in the 2010s had. They'll all talk about how jacquard wallpaper and Art Deco brass are timeless, how come nobody before 2020 figured that out?

The only way to win at the trendy game is not to play. Buy stuff you like, make it match somewhat. If you have to sell a house, maybe don't do what a previous tenant at my mom's place did and get high on crank and carve a giant rooster into the plaster with a kitchen knife.

I personally can't wait for everyone to get over "reclaimed" and "rustic" wood poo poo. Nothing like furniture and walls that will give you splinters if you touch it!

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Slate placemats can die a death as well, was far too hard to find a decent set of cork backed placemats that didn't cost the earth.

Boosh!
Apr 12, 2002
Oven Wrangler

Ouhei posted:

I personally can't wait for everyone to get over "reclaimed" and "rustic" wood poo poo. Nothing like furniture and walls that will give you splinters if you touch it!

Love how the "reclaimed" spectrum can range from antique oak barn doors to wooden pallets floating down the East river.

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug

learnincurve posted:

Slate placemats can die a death as well, was far too hard to find a decent set of cork backed placemats that didn't cost the earth.

One of my favourite things about this thread is y'all being sick of the apparent ubiquity of things I've never heard of. Slate placemats? Like, made of rock?

Boosh!
Apr 12, 2002
Oven Wrangler

Patrick Spens posted:

One of my favourite things about this thread is y'all being sick of the apparent ubiquity of things I've never heard of. Slate placemats? Like, made of rock?

Picture 6 giants cheese plates at each dining table seat.

Coca Koala
Nov 28, 2005

ongoing nowhere
College Slice
Jesus. I have some slate coasters that I really like, but a big part of that is because they are coasters and not placemats.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I got some concrete coasters at a craft fair and they are very thick and silly but I like them.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

vonnegutt posted:

The current "look" is:
- All white everything
- Exposed beams / brick
- Tropical plants

The reason this look is trendy?

Well, those looks have gone in and out of style over the past few decades.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

Patrick Spens posted:

One interesting thing about this thread is the US/UK divide. One trend that's apparently huge in the U.K. is serving food not on plates, but just on flat slabs, including slates. I'm aware a couple restaurants do it over here, but I haven't actually seen it, but apparently it's maddeningly ubiquitous there.

http://twitter.com/wewantplates

Anne Whateley fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Jul 14, 2017

CmdrRiker
Apr 8, 2016

You dismally untalented little creep!

there wolf posted:

It's a perfectly effective cleaner for regular scrubbing. Maybe don't use people who apparently employ it the wrong way as a guide for how and when to use it?

Each component in its own right is a good cleaner. Vinegar is a good disinfectant and deodorizer. Baking soda is a good deodorizer and abrasive.

Together they neutralize each other and create sodium acetate. Sodium acetate is essentially salt water that is slightly acidic. If you're interested in cleaning with an acidic solution, then just use vinegar.

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug
Not to be all body shaming but,

https://twitter.com/WeWantPlates/status/811292089141043200

WHAT THE gently caress IS THIS?

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
I can understand MCM furniture getting a comeback because everyone is sick of poo poo breaking, but can't afford the modern prices of well made furniture. When you can get a Lane bedroom set for several hundred I can see the appeal.

I'm biased since I'm currently buying a Broyhill dining set off craigslist right now.

CmdrRiker
Apr 8, 2016

SoundMonkey posted:

Everything's going great in here right? Ok, good, I knew I could count on you. I'll just mark every post up til now as read.

Yeah, except TB is on probation. :(

Dammit, TB! drat your snark!

absolem
May 21, 2014

The Civil Rights Act of 1964 [is] immoral
insofar as it is coercive towards someone, yes

I am retarded and compassion is overrated.

AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS

Anne Whateley posted:

One interesting thing about this thread is the US/UK divide. One trend that's apparently huge in the U.K. is serving food not on plates, but just on flat slabs, including slates. I'm aware a couple restaurants do it over here, but I haven't actually seen it, but apparently it's maddeningly ubiquitous there.

I see a pretty decent amount of that here in the US, at least the plainer ones. And Ialso like seeing the atlantic decor divide

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I noticed when charcuterie boards became big some places started assembling more and more fancy boards that ended up having pretty much whole meals on them, I imagine this trend has sort of evolved out of that, or at least that's what I see here.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
I've never seen a time when something like an Eames or a Barcelona or an Arco is out of style, so long as you don't get some wonky-rear end color or finish.

Likewise, you've always been able to do white walls, but what you accessorize with might change.

Also, as a society, we've turned away from this idea of limitless resources and excessive consumption being the peak of civilization, and I expect some of the 80's-esque design trends surrounding it to be dead and gone for good. While some pockets still exist, the trend moves further away and I can't imagine it returning, barring some cataclysmic societal schism.

Patrick Spens posted:

Not to be all body shaming but,

https://twitter.com/WeWantPlates/status/811292089141043200

WHAT THE gently caress IS THIS?

Should be used to serve salsa imho

PRADA SLUT fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Jul 14, 2017

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

CmdrRiker posted:

Each component in its own right is a good cleaner. Vinegar is a good disinfectant and deodorizer. Baking soda is a good deodorizer and abrasive.

Together they neutralize each other and create sodium acetate. Sodium acetate is essentially salt water that is slightly acidic. If you're interested in cleaning with an acidic solution, then just use vinegar.

But what if I want an abrasive, acidic solution? And my Bartender's Best Friend is across the room?

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Anne Whateley posted:

Oh it's the goddamn worst. It's different to the placemat thing but jeez, yeah. Back in '07 or so the fanciest restaurants started doing it with specific dishes. Burgers on a piece of wood. Chips in a small bucket wrapped in a fake copy of the Financial Times.

Ten years later and its percolated down to any old poo poo cafe attached to a wool mill or whatever, and of course some people are taking it too far.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I once got served chips in a tiny shopping trolley and my friend had bangers and mash in a pint glass.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Did the table have a gravy canal for you to hurl the trolley into after?

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Shhhhh don't go giving them ideas.

I thought of one hipster thing I did like and that was hot chocolate in a jam jar with a metal handle. Fluted hot chocolate glasses have been a thing for a while now and you get naff all in them, the jam jar mug forced them to give me a decent quantity for a change.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Anne Whateley posted:

This is one of a number of threads where I'd love to be able to look up where posters live. I feel like internet forums are underutilized in tracking trends and cultural movements. First fashion designer to combine interior decorating and internet memeology could make bank.

paternity suitor
Aug 2, 2016

But like, Mad Men came out ten years ago, and people started buying MCM furniture almost immediately, plus, it is a style that is over 50 years old at this point. We're looking at what, 30 of the last 60 years that MCM furniture is cool and good? It's not like it's some crazy new trend.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
I think there will always be a chunk of the population who just likes MCM furniture, just like there will always be a chunk that likes Rococo or Art Deco. But I feel like I've seen little to non MCM in magazines and stuff, so it's probably as out as it ever really gets.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I strongly suspect MCM is something most under 25s in the U.K. have only seen on TV. It's the parents of the boomer's furniture, and the vast majority of it ended up in a skip (dumpster), some will have made it into charity shops but the stuff I see is all newer.

CmdrRiker
Apr 8, 2016

there wolf posted:

But what if I want an abrasive, acidic solution? And my Bartender's Best Friend is across the room?

Oh, well I guess you win.

Boosh! posted:

Love how the "reclaimed" spectrum can range from antique oak barn doors to wooden pallets floating down the East river.

Ah yes. There definitely is a spectrum for industrial pieces. This one doesn't even seem practical, though.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

CmdrRiker posted:

Oh, well I guess you win.

Ah yes. There definitely is a spectrum for industrial pieces. This one doesn't even seem practical, though.

I'm trying to decide if I would have more of less respect for fake-pallets made from finished boards so you could get the look without the splinters.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

learnincurve posted:

I strongly suspect MCM is something most under 25s in the U.K. have only seen on TV. It's the parents of the boomer's furniture, and the vast majority of it ended up in a skip (dumpster), some will have made it into charity shops but the stuff I see is all newer.

There was definitely some in the house I bought which I'm quite certain hadn't moved since the 50s. The former owner had the house for 60 years.

She took it with her so it was saved from destruction, unlike the orange marble fireplace.

paternity suitor
Aug 2, 2016

learnincurve posted:

That's too bad. I think being in driving distance to NYC or LA is part of what keeps the stuff alive. The places around me in Philly do a lot of their business with NYC people who drive down here to pay half or less the price. When I lived in Denver, MCM furniture was awesomely cheap, I wish I bought more, and even there, they said they did most of their business to people who'd stuff trucks full of furniture and drive it out to LA to sell for a giant markup.

It makes me so sad to think of beautiful wooden furniture that is so well made, it can hold up for over 50 years, end up in a dumpster :(

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
It's something the British do quite a lot I'm afraid, I'm struggling to think of a time period where most of the last generation's furniture wasn't burned. It probably goes right back to the reformation - Cromwell and his puritans also have a hell of a lot to answer for as well.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

How to ruin a house the Portland way

Before:

After:
This skinny wooden columns trend needs to stop.

Who needs kitchen cabinets anyway?

RIP built-in bookcase

Sold for $303,000 in 2015 "as-is", was given a facelift (along with doubling the size by adding a lower level apartment and bumping out the attic) was put back on the market recently for $721,000.

The remodel isn't exactly bad (except for the kitchen), i just feel like they could've kept more of the character of the house.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
I honestly like the interior remodel more than the original, but I'm biased against carpet & loud kitchen wallpaper.

Shame about the exterior, though.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

i wish there was a pic of what they'd done with the attic(?) space because it looked Not Great and i was wondering if they'd fixed it at all

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
I don't think you have to worry about "keeping the character of the house" when it's that recent and has already had ugly updates. If it were historically interesting in any way, then sure, but for this one I don't love some of the choices but I have no problem with the concept of a makeover.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Anne Whateley posted:

I don't think you have to worry about "keeping the character of the house" when it's that recent and has already had ugly updates. If it were historically interesting in any way, then sure, but for this one I don't love some of the choices but I have no problem with the concept of a makeover.

that's sorta what i meant, i scrolled back up to check out the character and saw the ceiling tile and general look of the attic and was like "character?"

agreed that the outside is godawful and whatever that trend is called needs to stop. the actual picture looks like a 3d render, and not because of the lovely hdr, but because that house is the kind of thing people render then don't build.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

SoundMonkey posted:

i wish there was a pic of what they'd done with the attic(?) space because it looked Not Great and i was wondering if they'd fixed it at all

The second-to-last photo is part of the old attic, they just added a huge mega-dormer to it to increase the square footage. It definitely needed fixing up (that flooring ew) but I'm just not a fan of plain off-white walls + light brown laminate everywhere. And I really like built-in things so I wish they would've kept or put in some shelving at the end.

It's mostly the kitchen I hate. No upper cabinets might make it look ~clean~ and ~minimalist~ but they've gotten rid of like half the storage space.