Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
That was really bad wolf, bold prediction Suranne Jones is the doctor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Its gonna be Andy Murray.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

learnincurve posted:

That was really bad wolf, bold prediction Suranne Jones is the doctor.

Only if they can get Matt Smith back to play the TARDIS :v:

CityMidnightJunky
May 11, 2013

by Smythe
It's going to be Federer.

Mr. Big
Sep 26, 2006

BONK!
Oops, accidental phone posting

Mr. Big fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Jul 14, 2017

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
It's actually me, that's why I'm in London.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Big Mean Jerk posted:

It's actually me, that's why I'm in London.

I approve of Space Ghost Doctor.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I'm thinking back to last time; Capaldi hadn't been massively discussed (I don't remember if we had anywhere near the level of "it'll be either this one or that one" when we were awaiting Twelve's casting that we seem to have had with Marshall and Waller-Bridge; I couldn't tell you who was attracting the most speculation back then at all) until virtually just before he was announced when there was a big rush of bets on him.

Phoebe Waller-Bridge is the favourite but going by the Clinton/May Precedent, 2016-17 is not a good year for women who are the favourites.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Wheat Loaf posted:

Phoebe Waller-Bridge is the favourite but going by the Clinton/May Precedent, 2016-17 is not a good year for women who are the favourites.

If we do get a female Doctor, would we be more likely to get a male or female companion?

I'd love to see a female Doctor/male companion's dynamic if Chibnall could turn it on its ear slightly.

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so

Wheat Loaf posted:

I'm thinking back to last time; Capaldi hadn't been massively discussed (I don't remember if we had anywhere near the level of "it'll be either this one or that one" when we were awaiting Twelve's casting that we seem to have had with Marshall and Waller-Bridge; I couldn't tell you who was attracting the most speculation back then at all) until virtually just before he was announced when there was a big rush of bets on him.

I remember Rory Kinnear being the bookers' favourite for 12 at some point, I think?

I'm hoping for Waller-Bridge so hard but I'm so prepared to be so disappointed :smith:

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

CobiWann posted:

If we do get a female Doctor, would we be more likely to get a male or female companion?

I'd love to see a female Doctor/male companion's dynamic if Chibnall could turn it on its ear slightly.

I'm kind of hoping we go back to the days when there was more than one companion. It lets them have their obligatory "person from our year to sort of be an audience stand in" while also maybe having someone from the future. Plus, Nardole really added a lot this season.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Michelle Dockery should be the Doctor but only if she dyes her hair white and puts a black streak in it again. :v:

It's a sonic fire poker. :D

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
Rose Leslie. :colbert:

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Wheat Loaf posted:

I want to say the huge rush of bets was maybe two days before the announcement special on BBC, and then all the bookies closed betting because it was patently obvious someone had talked. I believe Capaldi was talked about more than most because he had auditioned for Eleven until Smith came in and blew everyone away.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
Alternative casting:

https://twitter.com/PeteMilan/status/885916171031195651

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

He should get sliced in two and then both sides can regenerate. Bam, two Doctors.

That or he and the Master go into a room off-screen, murder each other, regenerate, and then come back out and it doesn't tell us which is which.

Also Jack Whitehall for next Doctor :unsmigghh:

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Bicyclops posted:

I'm kind of hoping we go back to the days when there was more than one companion. It lets them have their obligatory "person from our year to sort of be an audience stand in" while also maybe having someone from the future. Plus, Nardole really added a lot this season.

By this point in the original run, there had been already been periods of just future companions, just historical, and all the mixes and permutations possible. :(

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

After The War posted:

By this point in the original run, there had been already been periods of just future companions, just historical, and all the mixes and permutations possible. :(

I know, right? And the Vicki & Stephen/Jaime & Victoria/Jaime and Zoe dynamics were all fun.

Well, maybe someday they'll do it again.

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

The 13th Doctor will be announced on Sunday

slowpoke

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary
Whoever it is, I hope there's a long drawn out plotline involving the valeyard that won't be boring at all.

Also, it'll be Tom Hughes

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

I'm afraid it's going to be Kris Marshall based purely on the fact he was in My Family and this is precisely the kind of dumb pick the BBC would make.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
I am ready for the announcement of Hayley Atwell as the next Doctor with Aiden Turner as her sexy assistant

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
We could probably work it out based on the usual pattern of going through the producers' last projects and finding out which relatively unknown actor is not signed for anything next year. All of them have worked with him, none are signed up for anything that would clash with who

Jack Roth
Olivia Colman (should happen, won't happen)
Clive Standen
Jamie Campbell Bower

The next lot is from law and order uk which has bonus points for having multiple former doctor who cast members in it.

Aidan McArdle
Jamie Bamber (because why the hell not)
Dominic Rowan

Any of the pretty ones from Merlin.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
Comedy option: John Cena. His time is now :v:

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

learnincurve posted:

We could probably work it out based on the usual pattern of going through the producers' last projects and finding out which relatively unknown actor is not signed for anything next year. A

Neither Capaldi nor Smith had worked with Moffat before, though, right? The only one that would apply to would be Tennant, because he and Davies worked together on Casanova and Davies wanted him before the BBC gave him Eccleston.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Box of Bunnies posted:

Comedy option: John Cena. His time is now :v:

I've thought about it, but I just cant see him.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Timby posted:

Neither Capaldi nor Smith had worked with Moffat before, though, right? The only one that would apply to would be Tennant, because he and Davies worked together on Casanova and Davies wanted him before the BBC gave him Eccleston.

It would also apply to Eccleston, he was in RTD's Second Coming miniseries

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003
Marshall is 44 years old. This is the hot young actor who's supposed to draw in young women? Tennant was over ten years younger when he started. (I don't mean to say he's too old, just that it's odd compared to what we've heard about wanting a much younger actor.)

The_Doctor posted:

- Alfie 'grandson of Ian Chesterton' Enoch

Alfie Enoch is William Russell's son, not his grandson. (Or maybe you were suggesting that Ian is Russell's father somehow.)

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

McDragon posted:

That or he and the Master go into a room off-screen, murder each other, regenerate, and then come back out and it doesn't tell us which is which.
Then we find out at the end of the Series is that there was a Zygon in that room...

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

learnincurve posted:

Any of the pretty ones from Merlin.

I understand Alexander Vlahos really wants to play the Doctor and has in fact decided how he would play the role (like Paul McGann did, basically).

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

Wheat Loaf posted:

I understand Alexander Vlahos really wants to play the Doctor and has in fact decided how he would play the role (like Paul McGann did, basically).

I was going to say I'd be very okay with this but then I realised I'm a year older than him and I don't think I'm ready to deal with being older than an incumbent Doctor

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Here's an older Beeb article which has been updated in the last few hours going over the most likely prospects.

What's the likelihood it'll be none of the above?

I know everyone would love Tilda Swinton to do it, but when people suggest her, are they doing so seriously or is it just wishful thinking? I have a hard time seeing Academy Award-winning movie star and performance artist Tilda Swinton signing on to commit to at least three years of a teatime science-fiction show. :shrug:

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

What just struck me is that if the BBC does the pretty boy fanservice casting for the departed Tennant fans, we'll probably only ever see that kind of casting from here on.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Has it ever been the bookies favourite? I'm honestly asking, I'm pretty sure Capaldi and Smith both were suprise casting (and int he case of Smith not many people even knew who the hell he was), but I dont really remember when tennant was cast if he was a name being bandied about beforehand. If the BBC publish an article saying "here are the likely prospects" then yeah, I'd personally be inclined to think "so this is a list of people it definitely isnt".

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

I haven't ever really followed the bookies' choices that closely, but wasn't Patterson Joseph considered to be very heavily in the running for Eleven right up until Matt Smith was cast? That's a vague memory so I'm probably wrong about some/all of the details.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

SiKboy posted:

Has it ever been the bookies favourite? I'm honestly asking, I'm pretty sure Capaldi and Smith both were suprise casting (and int he case of Smith not many people even knew who the hell he was), but I dont really remember when tennant was cast if he was a name being bandied about beforehand. If the BBC publish an article saying "here are the likely prospects" then yeah, I'd personally be inclined to think "so this is a list of people it definitely isnt".

The bookie list is a list of people who are plausible enough to be imagined in the role but impossible so that the bookies get to keep the bets

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

docbeard posted:

I haven't ever really followed the bookies' choices that closely, but wasn't Patterson Joseph considered to be very heavily in the running for Eleven right up until Matt Smith was cast? That's a vague memory so I'm probably wrong about some/all of the details.

I know Joseph definitely was and I remember there being speculation around James McAvoy as well.

I remember shortly after Tennant's departure was announced, there was a big two-page spread in the Daily Mail about who it could be next of which the centrepiece was a huge picture of Catherine Zeta-Jones. :v:

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Wheat Loaf posted:

Vlahos has already done Big Finish, so I'm down with this.

McGann
May 19, 2003

Get up you son of a bitch! 'Cause Mickey loves you!

Davros1 posted:

Vlahos has already done Big Finish, so I'm down with this.

I'm one of the few people who like Dorian Gray, I'd like to see what he could do with the role.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Action Jacktion posted:

Alfie Enoch is William Russell's son, not his grandson. (Or maybe you were suggesting that Ian is Russell's father somehow.)

drat, you're right! The massive age gap made me assume grandfather, but he had him very late.

• Locked thread