Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Ridley Scott's Hannibal owns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Mu Zeta posted:

Hopkins version was a cartoon even compared to the Manhunter version. In Manhunter he's not only smart but an arrogant rear end in a top hat. By the time we see Ridley Scott's 2001 movie Hannibal is a god drat superhero killing bad guys and corrupt cops.

Pretty faithful to the Hannibal novel then.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Snak posted:

Yeah, Hannibal rules.

I never in a million years expected that when I found out there was a Hannibal show, that the show's portrayal of Hannibal Lector would become my personal definitive version of the character.

And yet, here we are.

My favourite thing about the show is how true Fuller stays to the source while going and telling an entirely different story. The first two seasons, especially, used much of Will's inner monologue from the book as dialogue. As well as many other little touches and flourishes.

Like it's a love letter to Thomas Harris while being its own thing. The best job I've seen done of adapting a story into something so different that still feels so right.

e: still buttflustered Lifetime has the rights to Buffalo Bill and Clarice so we never got to see what Fuller would have done with them. I do love the show as this bizarre version of Graham's story tho. But what could have been ...

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

esperterra posted:

e: still buttflustered Lifetime has the rights to Buffalo Bill and Clarice so we never got to see what Fuller would have done with them.

Multiple sources have said--though there's never been any official corroboration--that those rights revert next month, and Fuller started making noise about a possible revival maybe a month or two ago. He'd still need to pull his head out of his rear end, though, because considering his perfectionism and prima donna attitude, the dude is incapable of focusing on more than one project at once, and he's knee-deep in American Gods S2.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

All the actors are busy anyway

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
American Gods is fine and all but god drat if it were up to me I would shitcan it in a second for a chance at more Hannibal.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Mu Zeta posted:

All the actors are busy anyway

Not really. Mikkelsen isn't doing anything, I believe Dancy is finishing up the third season of The Path, and Fishburne doesn't really have anything going on right now. Those are the three principals you need.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
Fuller has said he's already talked to them about it and everyone is interested, but I can't see it happening.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Oh, I can't imagine it will ever happen. Given the amount of time it took to shoot each episode, it's a stupidly expensive show, and by the third season about seventeen people were watching it.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I thought he said the show isn't that expensive and that it's all the post production work that makes it look slick.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Mu Zeta posted:

I thought he said the show isn't that expensive and that it's all the post production work that makes it look slick.

It's expensive enough that NBC wouldn't do it without extensive co-financing from multiple international partners.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

Snak posted:

Yeah, Hannibal rules.

I never in a million years expected that when I found out there was a Hannibal show, that the show's portrayal of Hannibal Lector would become my personal definitive version of the character.

And yet, here we are.

One of my favorite exchanges is S3E6:

I loved this show.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Snak posted:

Yeah, Hannibal rules.

And yet, here we are.

I honestly believe that's at least a part of the reason why Hopkins is taking so much work these days. He was positive that no matter what, he could always be remembered for Hannibal, he was Dr. freakin Lecter. But Mads Milkensen legitimately stole it from him. His Hannibal really is that good. I think it broke Hopkins brain so now he rambles on about the secret history....of the transformers.

try the new taco place posted:

It sounded like a bad idea 6 years ago and then I heard Rihanna was playing the big Psycho part recently, but then I watched every other show. And now people are saying it deserves legacy Emmys right next to The Leftovers 🤔

Who gives a gently caress? Don't watch it. What you watch affects nobody.

bring back old gbs fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Jul 14, 2017

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

bring back old gbs posted:

I honestly believe that's at least a part of the reason why Hopkins is taking so much work these days. He was positive that no matter what, he could always be remembered for Hannibal, he was Dr. freakin Lecter. But Mads Milkensen legitimately stole it from him. His Hannibal really is that good. I think it broke Hopkins brain so now he rambles on about the secret history....of the transformers.

I've heard there's an Ian McKellen interview from years and years ago (I haven't read it - I've only read about it - so take with a grain of salt because it may not even exist) where he reminisced about how he, Maggie Smith and Hopkins all joined Sir Laurence Olivier's Shakespearean company around the same time, and Hopkins was always a guy who didn't care much for the purity of the stage or the dignity of treading the boards or whatever it is Serious Actors go on about, and what he really wanted to do was go to America and make big stupid movies and get paid lots of money for it.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Wheat Loaf posted:

I've heard there's an Ian McKellen interview from years and years ago (I haven't read it - I've only read about it - so take with a grain of salt because it may not even exist) where he reminisced about how he, Maggie Smith and Hopkins all joined Sir Laurence Olivier's Shakespearean company around the same time, and Hopkins was always a guy who didn't care much for the purity of the stage or the dignity of treading the boards or whatever it is Serious Actors go on about, and what he really wanted to do was go to America and make big stupid movies and get paid lots of money for it.

Patrick Stewart told a story about how, after doing a season or two of ST:TNG, he was preparing himself for all the ridicule he was going to get from his contemporaries when returned home for doing such a silly, sci-fi show. Instead, he found himself shocked when all of them asked him for help in getting an agent in the US.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Davros1 posted:

Patrick Stewart told a story about how, after doing a season or two of ST:TNG, he was preparing himself for all the ridicule he was going to get from his contemporaries when returned home for doing such a silly, sci-fi show. Instead, he found himself shocked when all of them asked him for help in getting an agent in the US.

Sure, the other famous story there is that Stewart once calculated that he made more money during a single break in filming on TNG than he had in an entire season with the RSC.

Edit: I actually found my way to this topic earlier when I was reading about TV shows considered the worst ever on Wikipedia; the leading man in Manimal, Simon MacCorkindale, was apparently one of the first wave of British actors who became popular in American TV along with Joan Collins in Dynasty. I don't know if that's true, but there it is. :v:

Wheat Loaf fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Jul 14, 2017

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Wheat Loaf posted:

Sure, the other famous story there is that Stewart once calculated that he made more money during a single break in filming on TNG than he had in an entire season with the RSC.

Because TNG was sold directly into syndication, by the time the show ended (and for Stewart and Spiner, far earlier than that) not a single member of the starring cast ever needed to work again for a day in their lives.

Several Goblins
Jul 30, 2006

"What the hell do they mean? Beefcake?"

DC Murderverse posted:

watch Hannibal

I can't believe I forgot to add Hannibal to my watched list. It was phenomenal and, alongside Fargo and True Detective, really pulled me into the idea of seeing what else I'd missed as far as great television shows. Mads Mikkelsen is absolutely my favorite depiction of Lecter and I didn't think anyone would dethrone Hopkins for me.

I just finished season one of Bojack Horseman. It's hilarious, bleak, absurd and heart-breaking in varying degrees. It took a couple episodes for it to really grab me, but I was completely sold by episode 4 or so. The humor is dark but still manages to mix in plenty of silly sight gags, puns and dad jokes. While I'm giggling like an idiot at an anthropomorphic dog man having a trunk full of tennis balls, the next scene could be Bojack having a existential meltdown and aaaallllmost working through and understanding one of his own (numerous) character flaws. The episode Downer Ending was particularly brutal. "I need you to tell me that I'm a good person."

I'm surprised how much I like it. I'll be moving on to season two soon. Thanks DivisionPost for the recommendation!

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
oh man, if you liked s1, you're gonna LOVE 2/3.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

Wheat Loaf posted:

Hopkins himself has always admitted that he was different from his contemporaries because he was always a movie fan and just wanted to act in movies instead of being on stage.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Hannibal is such a bad show.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
You're dead to me.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Dead, or jumped off a cliff but probably survived due to bad writing????

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Hey, I have HBO Go, what time does GoT come on if it's on regular HBO at 8pm CST?

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Lurdiak posted:

Dead, or jumped off a cliff but probably survived due to bad writing????

Like dismembered with a band saw, cooked, and eaten.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Snak posted:

Like dismembered with a band saw, cooked, and eaten.

So somehow alive next episode because it was secretly someone else.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

GreenNight posted:

Hey, I have HBO Go, what time does GoT come on if it's on regular HBO at 8pm CST?

Same time

Speaking of shows where it has a cliff hanger of someone going off a cliff watch Review

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Hannibal is so good

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Season 3 of Bojack Horseman had a dumb joke that completely broke me and I had to pause because I was laughing so hard.

Princess Carolyn’s date: “I’m the only albino-rhino gyno I know."

*Orders another drink*

Princess Carolyn: “Oh, great, you’re also a wine addict."

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
watched The Defiant Ones this week, it was pretty decent until the last part where they dropped all pretenses about it being anything other than an elaborate commercial for Beats headphones

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
SON

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2rJUYSne-TM

EDIT: This whole episode is outstanding.

DivisionPost fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Jul 15, 2017

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
You guys keep posting gong show links and i keep not being able to get through 10 seconds of them. I just dont get it.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I keep forgetting Mike Myers hosts the new Gong Show as a character.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

You guys keep posting gong show links and i keep not being able to get through 10 seconds of them. I just dont get it.
same

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

That's almost the entire point of The Gong Show. To see how long the judges last before they can't take it anymore.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Timby posted:

Because TNG was sold directly into syndication, by the time the show ended (and for Stewart and Spiner, far earlier than that) not a single member of the starring cast ever needed to work again for a day in their lives.

You know what's hilarious about this?

Wil Wheaton.

Dude thought he was better than Trek, like he'd ascend to a level of acting beyond television. So he left the show and missed out on that contract money. So he spent a decade barely scraping by and only became relevant again because of a joke on a lovely sitcom.

Eezee
Apr 3, 2011

My double chin turned out to be a huge cyst
Can the contestants on the gong show win anything or are the scores meaningless?

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

You're impatient.

e;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=asRCubdvPMU

Eezee posted:

Can the contestants on the gong show win anything or are the scores meaningless?

Highest score of the episode gets $2000.17 and a trophy.

blunt fucked around with this message at 08:20 on Jul 15, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Those 17 cents make it all worth it.

• Locked thread