Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

Sagebrush posted:

how does this handle the ball of sheets tangled up at the foot of the bed and the pillows sliding down the wall

it hides them under a duvet controlled by a smartphone :rolleyes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

This is what I'd expect from those degenerates who don't use a top sheet and sleep directly under a duvet that's been marinated in their own bodily juices

... but it's a smart duvet

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

Crazy Achmed posted:

This is what I'd expect from those degenerates who don't use a top sheet and sleep directly under a duvet that's been marinated in their own bodily juices

aka all of loving europe

they're called sheets you goddamn savages

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug
no duvet only sheets

empty duvet cover on cold nights

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

drat the duvet, destroying the apple-pie / short-sheet bed prank for ever.

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Crazy Achmed posted:

... but it's a smart duvet

i call it the DC Charger, now you can supercharge your smart duvet with duvet clips! rewards start at alibaba but send the money to me and ill forward it along

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Cocoa Crispies posted:

no duvet only sheets

empty duvet cover on cold nights

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Trig Discipline posted:

aka all of loving europe

they're called sheets you goddamn savages

uh we actually use duvet cases & wash them along with the sheets

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

i just use a blanket

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Powaqoatse posted:

uh we actually use duvet cases & wash them along with the sheets

i mean a flat sheet, under the duvet, for when the duvet is too hot or you only want part of your body covered. i just spent a couple of weeks tooling around germany, austria, hungary, slovakia, and the czech republic and i think maybe one of my seven hotels had a sheet on the bed. to make it worse, there's no AC in a lot of hotels and their idea of a suitable room temp is pretty stifling by american standards (maybe 80f/27c). i know americans are pretty much used to living in refrigerators by european standards but still i was having a hard time even getting cool enough to sleep in a lot of these places and i live in the loving tropics.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Trig Discipline posted:

i was having a hard time even getting cool enough
lol no way

youre always cool trig

never forget that

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Trig Discipline posted:

i mean a flat sheet, under the duvet, for when the duvet is too hot or you only want part of your body covered. i just spent a couple of weeks tooling around germany, austria, hungary, slovakia, and the czech republic and i think maybe one of my seven hotels had a sheet on the bed. to make it worse, there's no AC in a lot of hotels and their idea of a suitable room temp is pretty stifling by american standards (maybe 80f/27c). i know americans are pretty much used to living in refrigerators by european standards but still i was having a hard time even getting cool enough to sleep in a lot of these places and i live in the loving tropics.

oh ya i usually have an empty duvet cover or sheet handy on the hot summer nights. i run hot & definitely cannot sleep if theres no way to cool down

see i do need a minimum of coverage though: my lower back and entire neck have to be covered otherwise i get shameful childhood nightmares about vampires or aliens.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

FMguru posted:

lol no way

youre always cool trig

never forget that

:glomp:

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Powaqoatse posted:

oh ya i usually have an empty duvet cover or sheet handy on the hot summer nights. i run hot & definitely cannot sleep if theres no way to cool down

see i do need a minimum of coverage though: my lower back and entire neck have to be covered otherwise i get shameful childhood nightmares about vampires or aliens.

yeah same

idk if they keep it cooler in the hotels in the summer than when i was there; it was clearly unseasonably warm and i don't think they were prepared for it. damned uncomfortable tho

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

pro tip: put your bed next to your radiator. seems counterintuitive, but putting your hand on a shut off radiator in the summer is the best way to channel heat away from your body

they probably didnt do poo poo about temperature at whatever hotels. at least they dont in my experience.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Trig Discipline posted:

80°F is fine if there's a fan

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

fwiw i get uncomfortable if it gets above 20°C ~ 70°F

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

i like 72-76 indoors

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

hifi posted:

i like 72-76 indoors

when it gets real sweaty & donna does not like it

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

My first kickstarter contribution is going well

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Cocoa Crispies posted:

80°F is fine if there's a fan

it is, but there wasn't

living in oz i had no heat or air con and it got below freezing in the winter and over 40C in the summer. i lived with that, albeit somewhat uncomfortably. the main thing for me is that it can be hot af during the day and i'll just suffer through it, but if poo poo doesn't cool down at night i am miserable

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

when it gets hot in denmark, it stays hot at night too.. sure maybe some 5-10°C difference, but not nearly enough to remove the built up heat.

thats why i swear on built-in metalworks; they p much suck the heat outta my soft gross warm body

Carthag Tuek fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Jul 15, 2017

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

we had a 34 degree swing this summer, that was wild. now it's monsoon season though so the low is like 85 and 40%

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
here in okinawa during the summer it basically oscillates between "hot and raining" and "hot and about to rain"

currently 90F with 66% humidity and this is one of the less suffocating days this week

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy
hmm, sounds like there's a market for the SmartDuvet Breeze Dual-Zone Temp Self-Making Bed

Dixie Cretin Seaman fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Jul 15, 2017

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Trig Discipline posted:

currently 90F with 66% humidity and this is one of the less suffocating days this week

loving hell you def need a dual zone smart duvet

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
My workshop is a brisk 16-17C in the winter and it definitely has had an effect on me. I am right now in my underwear typing this on my phone and feeling still too warm while my wife is on the computer in long sleeves & long pants like nothin is nothin

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy
i want a smart duvet with a vacuum setting so i can program it to do this when i'm ready for bed

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Powaqoatse posted:

loving hell you def need a dual zone smart duvet

ikr

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

dual zone smart duvet is pretty lol. the real solution for two people liking different temperatures while sleeping is simply to have two comforters/duvets. if you have a king size bed it is the same as two xl-twin pushed together so two xl-twin sized ones for perfectly.

lifehack: you can likewise make a king sized bed with different firmnesses by simply shoving together two xl-twin mattresses of equal height. this will save you from being subjected to the utter garbage adjustable air mattresses like the sleepnumber. just avoid having hard sex on the crack.

enotnert
Jun 10, 2005

Only women bleed
y'all remember that "eyeCase" aka "slap an android on the back of an iPhone" with the super hip grandma?

well. . . I had a friend give them a dollar just to get the statements and. . .

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
https://arxiv.org/abs/1707.03377

quote:

We introduce the Deep Symbolic Network (DSN) model, which aims at becoming the white-box version of Deep Neural Networks (DNN). The DSN model provides a simple, universal yet powerful structure, similar to DNN, to represent any knowledge of the world, which is transparent to humans. The conjecture behind the DSN model is that any type of real world objects sharing enough common features are mapped into human brains as a symbol. Those symbols are connected by links, representing the composition, correlation, causality, or other relationships between them, forming a deep, hierarchical symbolic network structure. Powered by such a structure, the DSN model is expected to learn like humans, because of its unique characteristics. First, it is universal, using the same structure to store any knowledge. Second, it can learn symbols from the world and construct the deep symbolic networks automatically, by utilizing the fact that real world objects have been naturally separated by singularities. Third, it is symbolic, with the capacity of performing causal deduction and generalization. Fourth, the symbols and the links between them are transparent to us, and thus we will know what it has learned or not - which is the key for the security of an AI system. Fifth, its transparency enables it to learn with relatively small data. Sixth, its knowledge can be accumulated. Last but not least, it is more friendly to unsupervised learning than DNN. We present the details of the model, the algorithm powering its automatic learning ability, and describe its usefulness in different use cases. The purpose of this paper is to generate broad interest to develop it within an open source project centered on the Deep Symbolic Network (DSN) model towards the development of general AI.
we're just the ideas guys, could some of y'all coders give this a shot??

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Isn't that just CYC

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

JawnV6 posted:

https://arxiv.org/abs/1707.03377

we're just the ideas guys, could some of y'all coders give this a shot??

eripsa finally got published I see

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
fidget spinners are the new can opener https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/telour/telour-fidget-spinner-wallet

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

christ

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

oh hey open unsealed bearings are gonna do great when put in a pocket with lint and dirt 👍

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Shifty Pony posted:

oh hey open unsealed bearings are gonna do great when put in a pocket with lint and dirt 👍
don't worry a bearing cap set will be available after the campaign

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

order now to get it before christmas

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...

Shifty Pony posted:

just avoid having hard sex on the crack.

is it the 80s again?

sounds like we need a smart (er?) sleepnumber bed that knows when you're having sex and leaks the data firms up

• Locked thread