Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McSpankWich
Aug 31, 2005

Plum Island Animal Disease Research Center. Sounds charming.
add coriander to your rub too imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
The difficulty of brisket rests on the unfortunate fact that it's so inherently inferior to the pork shoulder for barbecue.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.

bewbies posted:

So this is my emerging plan.

lots of salt and pepper
into the smoker at ~350 with a loaded amazen tube until the wood pellets are gone and or it hits the stall
wrap and into oven at 300 until...200-205 internal temp?
take out and let sit for at least an hour

should I put any liquid into the foil wrap? also what to do with the fat cap? some say trim it a lot, some say score it.

No need to put liquid into the foil wrap. That actually works against the purpose of the wrap. Fat cap is really a matter of preference. I personally love fatty cuts but I've come to prefer trimming pretty aggressively. I leave a thin layer on and thats it. It hasn't affected the quality of the results from what I can tell. 200-205 is a good range. Should be obvious but if you are planning to have it in the faux cambro for a while you may want to pull it off a little closer to 200 than 205. I personally wouldn't let it go much over 203 if I was planning to serve it immediately after regular rest period (i.e. about 30 minutes)

e: I know the 30 minute rest thing is another bit of "bbq controversy". I like the results better but if I'm being honest there isn't a ton of difference between 4 minutes and 30 minutes. Mostly I'm just using that time to wrap up other cooking tasks!

vulturesrow fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Jul 13, 2017

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Jamsta posted:

Expect to be disappointed on your first try(s).

First one I ever did was amazing, best brisket I've ever had.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
First one i ever did ended up dry. Also, that was the only one I ever did because gently caress that. Pork butt for life.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Mine have been edible to overcooked and thus chopped beef but good brisket is still better purchased vs coming from my BBQ.

Ribs and pork shoulder though? Come on over.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
full disclosure: i'm not a huge brisket supporter but the wife actually requested it and so I should seize any way I can justify the continued presence of my smoker.

It is only me, wife, and emaciated father in law eating so I don't want to do a whole cut, but on the other hand if I'm going to go to the trouble I want a good amount of meat. Would two flat cuts make sense in this context?

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

Antagonist: A bad man who drops things from the windows.
Last brisket I did I used a rub of equal parts salt, pepper, and coffee over oak. Turned out delicious and I had zero leftovers.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
All of my briskets have been at least really good and I don't understand the reputation it has.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Do you guys trim the fat on full briskets? I generally cook smaller portions for just my wife and myself and don't have to worry about it, but I'll be doing a large (12-15lb) soon and I've seen seen some people trim that off.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

This is the closest thing to a grill thread we have - do any of you guys have a griddle like a Blackstone?

I think I'd get more use out of a smoker+griddle than a grill.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Bottom Liner posted:

Do you guys trim the fat on full briskets? I generally cook smaller portions for just my wife and myself and don't have to worry about it, but I'll be doing a large (12-15lb) soon and I've seen seen some people trim that off.

I try to cut fat caps on everything to about 1/4 inch.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

McSpankWich posted:

add coriander to your rub too imo

:vomit:

Stringent posted:

The difficulty of brisket rests on the unfortunate fact that it's so inherently inferior to the pork shoulder chuck roast for barbecue.

ftfy

Bob Morales posted:

This is the closest thing to a grill thread we have - do any of you guys have a griddle like a Blackstone?

I think I'd get more use out of a smoker+griddle than a grill.

Fog Tripper posted:

Get a Broil King Keg
Especially if you are in a place that gets god-awful cold and windy - double walled and insulated. That and a iQ Stoker and you are golden. I easily nail 225F for 15-20 hours without adding charcoal, and just as easily can get it to 700-800F for scorching steaks. Unlike an egg you do not have to worry about breaking it. The more expensive version just gives you a different kind of vent at the bottom and side shelves. Really not worth the additional cash that could go toward the stoker.

If you both smoke/grill 365 days a year, this is a great choice.

Fog Tripper fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Jul 13, 2017

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
I'm in research mode now, are there better places for someone new than the recently mentioned amazingribs.com? They are very wordy, like I don't give a gently caress about how you came up with the name of your recipe. I'm also getting popup ads everytime I navigate to a new page. Also they don't seem to have instructions for the type of smoker I have. Good walkthrough videos would be great.

I think I'm going to try ribs for my first few tries, but also want to get into smoking other things like chicken/turkey.

katkillad2 fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Jul 14, 2017

dalstrs
Mar 11, 2004

At least this way my kill will have some use
Dinosaur Gum

katkillad2 posted:

I'm in research mode now, are there better places for someone new than the recently mentioned amazingribs.com? They are very wordy, like I don't give a gently caress about how you came up with the name of your recipe. I'm also getting popup ads everytime I navigate to a new page. Also they don't seem to have instructions for the type of smoker I have. Good walkthrough videos would be great.

I think I'm going to try ribs for my first few tries, but also want to get into smoking other things like chicken/turkey.

First thing is to get an ad blocker for your browser. Generally, recipies aren't geared to a specific smoker, for the most part, they are all interchangeable with maybe a slight adjustments for the different types of smoker.

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Shut up, Nick! You're not Twilight.
For people placing beans under your meat while it smokes could you elaborate on this a bit more? I usually use dried beans for my frijoles, quick soaked and then simmered with a bunch of other stuff. At what stage in this process should I be putting the beans under the meat? How long do you usually leave the beans in for? Do you put them in with any liquid?

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

katkillad2 posted:

amazingribs is probably your best bet for a good intro rib recipe. most cooking sites now are part blog so just skip down to the recipe part and go from there. do look at the part about salting though since the rub he recommends doesn't have any in it and you don't wanna be cooking without salt. he says 4-5 hours for baby backs, but i still do the full 6 hours. if you need instructions for your particular smoker it would help to know what you have. most instructions you're gonna get on a cooking site are gonna be "get it to X degrees and keep it there," since there are 100 different ways to smoke your meat.

DiggityDoink fucked around with this message at 07:34 on Jul 14, 2017

Tivac
Feb 18, 2003

No matter how things may seem to change, never forget who you are

CoffeeBooze posted:

For people placing beans under your meat while it smokes could you elaborate on this a bit more? I usually use dried beans for my frijoles, quick soaked and then simmered with a bunch of other stuff. At what stage in this process should I be putting the beans under the meat? How long do you usually leave the beans in for? Do you put them in with any liquid?

I'll take this as an opportunity to re-post my smoked BBQ beans recipe, which I usually stick under a pork shoulder or St. Louis ribs.

https://gist.github.com/tivac/1eef277998072910e9b9

Seven Hundred Bee
Nov 1, 2006

Because like someone posted above this is basically the general grilling thread, but does anyone have a recommendation for a griddle for a 22" weber? I have the craycort cast iron grill grate, and they sell a griddle that locks into their ring, but its like $30 more than other options and am wondering if it's worth it.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
Griddle: I've looked at using one of Lodge's cast iron griddles for my grill. I'd like to get the square one, but I'm lazy and often just use a skillet. They also have a round one that's not too expensive. Not sure exactly what you want as far as size.

Beans: Here's what I'd do:
The last time I made beans on the grill, I cooked them based off of this recipe: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3bPBCoRP5Lw. I made a few flavoring changes, but the technique was basically the same. Cook the beans, drain them (I did not save the liquid, I think it's a bad idea as it probably contains the stuff you want to cook off of beans so you don't get sick), then make the sauce. Once you combine the beans and sauce, put them on the grill under some meat to smoke and catch drippings.

You can adjust as needed, too. Looks like they're getting to greasy? Take 'em out. I used a dutch oven with the lid off so I could manipulate them easier on the grill (and it felt more authentic that way).

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro

Seven Hundred Bee posted:

Because like someone posted above this is basically the general grilling thread, but does anyone have a recommendation for a griddle for a 22" weber? I have the craycort cast iron grill grate, and they sell a griddle that locks into their ring, but its like $30 more than other options and am wondering if it's worth it.

I have a Little Griddle Kettle-Q and an Arteflame cooktop insert for my 22" Weber. The Kettle-Q is awesome for quick cooking small poo poo like breakfast kinda stuff, or fajitas, but the Arteflame is great for searing steaks, mushrooms and burgers since it's 1/2" carbon steel instead of thin stainless like the Kettle-Q.

Both are cool as hell and very different to cook on (better have an infrared thermometer), I recommend them both.

ROJO
Jan 14, 2006

Oven Wrangler

bewbies posted:

full disclosure: i'm not a huge brisket supporter but the wife actually requested it and so I should seize any way I can justify the continued presence of my smoker.

It is only me, wife, and emaciated father in law eating so I don't want to do a whole cut, but on the other hand if I'm going to go to the trouble I want a good amount of meat. Would two flat cuts make sense in this context?

Frankly, I would just aim for getting a full brisket that was on the smaller end. You can get them almost as small as 10-11 pounds (at least at Costco if that is available to you), and it doesn't wind up being all THAT much meat after trimming depending on the particular piece of meat. I think it would be better to have a nice full brisket with leftovers than try to pull off flats. Even if you just eat the flat at that dinner, you then have the point that you can use for burnt ends or chopped brisket sandwiches.

Flats by themselves can be challenging because they can dry out very easily compared to a full brisket.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
I've had an 8lb bone in pork butt on the smoker for almost 9 hours now. The smoker temp has been hovering between about 217 and 240 throughout the day.

The drat internal temp just will not get past 160. I finally just went and put some foil over it and turned the temp on the smoker up a bit to sit proper at 240.

I really wasn't expecting to have to babysit this thing past midnight, but it's looking like I might have to.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Annath posted:

I've had an 8lb bone in pork butt on the smoker for almost 9 hours now. The smoker temp has been hovering between about 217 and 240 throughout the day.

The drat internal temp just will not get past 160. I finally just went and put some foil over it and turned the temp on the smoker up a bit to sit proper at 240.

I really wasn't expecting to have to babysit this thing past midnight, but it's looking like I might have to.

Always start earlier than you think you should. You can always rest the meat when you take it out for probably up to 4-6 hours and it'll stay warm.

First smoke I did I put it in at 7AM and it came out at 11pm. Missed dinner by a good bit. :v: For whatever reason it's closer to 2 hrs/lb of meat for most stuff I've done.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

Larrymer posted:

Always start earlier than you think you should. You can always rest the meat when you take it out for probably up to 4-6 hours and it'll stay warm.

First smoke I did I put it in at 7AM and it came out at 11pm. Missed dinner by a good bit. :v: For whatever reason it's closer to 2 hrs/lb of meat for most stuff I've done.

Well luckily the housewarming party I'm taking it to is 16 hours from now :v:

Would it be better to bring it inside and finish it in the oven at this point?

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Dude it's 8lbs, it's probably going to take 12.

ROJO
Jan 14, 2006

Oven Wrangler

Annath posted:

Yeah like Larrymer said, always start early. I have had 9-10 lb bone in butts go on at 4:30 AM and still not be as high as I'd like by dinner time (without crutching). Pork butt can take a real long time if you don't plan on foiling.

edit: There is also no shame in goosing them in a 300 degree oven if you need em to speed up
edit2: VVVV read my mind

ROJO fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Jul 15, 2017

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

sellouts posted:

Dude it's 8lbs, it's probably going to take 12.

It was the smallest pork butt the local grocery store had :saddowns:

I wrapped it in foil and stuck it in a 300° oven on convection with a probe.

There's a Jurassic Park Marathon on TV so I guess I'm killing time lol.

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

Annath posted:

It was the smallest pork butt the local grocery store had :saddowns:

I wrapped it in foil and stuck it in a 300° oven on convection with a probe.

There's a Jurassic Park Marathon on TV so I guess I'm killing time lol.

You can always cut it in half

ROJO
Jan 14, 2006

Oven Wrangler
10 pound bone-in pork shoulder with some leftover Memphis Dust from the ribs I did last weekend. Went into the 22" WSM at 4:15 AM using the fuze method with hickory chunks. Still getting used to starting this thing - normally it is slow to get up to temp, but this morning it was at 225 within 15 minutes and now is sitting around 240. Throttling it back down, and I know it will hold good temp once it's dialed in - but I need to get more consistent with how I start this thing.

Will post results later. :chef:

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

ROJO posted:

10 pound bone-in pork shoulder with some leftover Memphis Dust from the ribs I did last weekend. Went into the 22" WSM at 4:15 AM using the fuze method with hickory chunks. Still getting used to starting this thing - normally it is slow to get up to temp, but this morning it was at 225 within 15 minutes and now is sitting around 240. Throttling it back down, and I know it will hold good temp once it's dialed in - but I need to get more consistent with how I start this thing.

Will post results later. :chef:

I never throttle down. You'd be surprised how hot a handful of charcoal can get up to temp once ignited. Less is more.

Getting ready to toss on some turkey legs. This will be a new one for me.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Is this the de-facto grilling thread? Please feel free to tell me to get the gently caress out, and I will happily oblige.

I treated myself to a Broil King Baron last summer. I've been grilling a lot since then.

Recently I was looking up good methods to clean and care for cast iron grates and happened upon amazingribs.com which seems to be a very knowledgeable resource.

Bottom line, they are not fans of Cast Iron grates and the absolute winner is something called GrillGrate(tm).

If to be believed, it sounds like some game changer level stuff.

Have any of you used/experienced them? All the reviews and testimonials seem super impressed.

https://www.grillgrate.com

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
mmm flavorful steam bath

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
Questions time, my smoker: Masterbuilt 20070910 30-Inch Black Electric Digital Smoker

I'm reading and watching videos and getting hung up on some things. Water pan vs no water pan? ( Also why is the water pan above the drip pan? ) Using aluminum foil at some point during the process vs not using foil to wrap ribs? The amazingribs recipe doesn't seem to be using it at all, but just about every youtube video involving my smoker shows people rapping the ribs in foil at different times during the process.

Where exactly should I be placing the A-MAZE-N Pellet smoker inside the unit?

Can anyone recommend a good rub obtainable in Ohio/midwest? Or something available on Amazon?

Thanks friends.

Edit: Bonus question, is there anything easy I can smoke at the same time when doing my first baby back rib attempt?

katkillad2 fucked around with this message at 07:57 on Jul 17, 2017

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

katkillad2 posted:

Edit: Bonus question, is there anything easy I can smoke at the same time when doing my first baby back rib attempt?

I threw some jalapeno and cheddar sausages in with my brisket and a rack of ribs yesterday and they were prohibitively the favorite thing of the meal.

Related: made a good brisket for the first time in my life. Was fork tender with good smoke ring, wife loved it and is now an enthusiastic supporter of the smoker so mission accomplished. I badly overcooked the ribs though.

I had a hell of a time finding reasonably priced brisket. I ended up going with a ~4.5 lbs trimmed whole cut for like $7 a pound vice a 7-8 lbs untrimmed whole cut for $6/lbs. The point on the cut I got was basically unusable as a single cut but I chopped it up etc as "burnt ends" and was quite good. There's a store here that usually has a nicely trimmed flat for like $7/lbs, but they were out this weekend. All this is to ask: what is the most cost effective brisket form given these choices? I feel like the trimmed flat is probably the best choice but I don't really know how much weight you lose when trimming a whole cut.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

bewbies posted:

I had a hell of a time finding reasonably priced brisket. I ended up going with a ~4.5 lbs trimmed whole cut for like $7 a pound vice a 7-8 lbs untrimmed whole cut for $6/lbs. The point on the cut I got was basically unusable as a single cut but I chopped it up etc as "burnt ends" and was quite good. There's a store here that usually has a nicely trimmed flat for like $7/lbs, but they were out this weekend. All this is to ask: what is the most cost effective brisket form given these choices? I feel like the trimmed flat is probably the best choice but I don't really know how much weight you lose when trimming a whole cut.

Jesus. I hope this is just a mid summer trend.

Liberator_44
Jul 25, 2004
I have a 40" I got for Fathers Day. Phone-posting so a bit brief.

With the AmazeN Pellet, I struggled keeping it going with the water pan filled. Once I left out the water and opened the chip tray about half an inch (for air), I've not had any issues keeping it going. I'm definitely no expert yet, but it at least allowed me to get consistent burn from the pellets in my Amazen. I place mine on the bottom floor, opposite to the chip tray and heating element. Could be wrong, but works for me.

Pork shoulder is very easy, but takes longer than ribs.

A couple of things you may know/have, but the temp can be way off when it's set (especially if you go like mine with the chip tray partially out.) I had to set my smoker to 250 to be at 225 for my ribs yesterday. Get an additional thermometer to know for sure. Also, mine is Bluetooth, but when I use the bluetooth app on my phone, sometimes the smoker goes crazy. It jumped to max the first time I did ribs and I didn't catch it until internal temp was 270+. Taught me to get an additional thermometer with an alarm. Looking online, it's a semi common problem.

katkillad2 posted:

Questions time, my smoker: Masterbuilt 20070910 30-Inch Black Electric Digital Smoker

I'm reading and watching videos and getting hung up on some things. Water pan vs no water pan? ( Also why is the water pan above the drip pan? ) Using aluminum foil at some point during the process vs not using foil to wrap ribs? The amazingribs recipe doesn't seem to be using it at all, but just about every youtube video involving my smoker shows people rapping the ribs in foil at different times during the process.

Can anyone recommend a good rub obtainable in Ohio/midwest? Or something available on Amazon?

Thanks friends.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

katkillad2 posted:

Thanks friends.

I can answer a few of those...if you use the amazen pellet smoker in there, DO NOT USE the water pan filled with water. The steam from the water pan will kill off your pellet burn. Pull out the chip tube a couple inches and open the top intake so it gets some air in there.

Everything else is a personal preference. Depends on how much bark you want, how you want your ribs (fall off the bone, or a slight tug) etc. There are 10,000 ways to do it and 10,000 variables to contend with. That's the fun of the game. I tend to foil.

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

Antagonist: A bad man who drops things from the windows.
Cross posting from the charcuterie thread because I know this thread has some sausage knowledge too.

A sausage question, this seems to be the most logical thread. I'm trying to get better at the process. My flavors are good but I keep having my links bust at the ends. I imagine I may just be stuffing them too tightly. If I stuff the proper amount, twist, and let rest in the fridge maybe over night should the links stay together without issue when they're separated? If there's any other tricks/suggestions I'm all ears.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jamsta
Dec 16, 2006

Oh you want some too? Fuck you!

Monday off work, smoking some pork spare ribs with oak on the grill.

Only registered members can see post attachments!