Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
Avatar seems to be pretty inconsistent with their information. Many dates have been completely wrong on their website, and the issue descriptions have been completely off as well.

Some spoiler talk for Über Invasion #7:

A lot of things still awaits us I'm sure, but I think we've hit the "Stalingrad" of the Über series. This is the first game-changing victory for the Allies. The (by far) least likeable recurring character of the entire series is killed, and while he took those 5 new über-types with him, I'd say it's a cheap kill for the Americans. I'm actually surprised Kieron decided to off him, I fully expected him to be badly mauled but ultimately alive by the end. But clearly not.

Some things I just assume going forward:

Detroit was saved. I can only assume that the Germans retreated rapidly after losing Siegfried. I mean imagine it; he was out of contact "for 60 seconds" and when he's seen again he's bleeding all over the place, with half his face ripped off. What's worse, the Germans don't really know how it happened, and I feel the only real counter they have to this new threat is body armor (which can be ripped off during combat). To me, it feels like the Nazi invasion of America is very much more dependant on the sole Japanese battleship surviving long enough to really become a problem in California. And knowing Über, he probably will (Sigh...)

BigglesSWE fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Jul 7, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

atal
Aug 13, 2006

burning down the house
Uber 7:

Sweet catharsis. My favourite part is the standard Uber creepy narrator incidentally noting that the final Alpha Flight soldier spent the equivalent of two weeks solid continuously stabbing a guy .

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Jonathan Hickman Image variants in August
http://www.cbr.com/image-comics-jonathan-hickman-25th-anniversary-variants/

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Black Hammer has a spin-off miniseries announced, Sherlock Frankenstein.
http://io9.gizmodo.com/the-first-black-hammer-spinoff-will-explore-the-secret-1796780454?IR=T

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Kieron Gillen has an email list he sends out on weeks he has books out (usually). This week had some interesting insight about piracy, since Uber came out in print last week, but only hit digital today. The first bit is fairly obvious, but the latter is interesting:

quote:

(As an aside, it was interesting to see this as an angle on comics piracy in 2017. Back in the 00s, there was industrial level scanning stuff going on. In 2017, Uber Invasion 7 simply didn't turn up on the piracy sites. In other words, the core engine which drives piracy now seems to be 100% screen captures, and thus stuff which debuts in print first can slip the system. Of course, if more books were doing that, clearly pirates would respond to that, so I'm not suggesting it as a an anti-piracy tactic. I wouldn't be suggesting anything as an anti-piracy tactic. Piracy is something that doesn't really impact on my thinking or planning. That said, I smiled a little when I received no angry asks about Uber Invasion 7 in the last week, which sort of gives away the sort of reader who sends the angry asks and confirms my not really priotising answering them. Also, scans daily needs to be renamed to caps daily. I digress.)

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
Chuck Dixon is apparently writing for Zenescope now. They've been doing these miniseries about their universe's version of Van Helsing for a bit now (Abraham's daughter Liesel who dresses like steampunk Black Canary), and Dixon's got the next one.

I'm not sure whether this is more of an upgrade for Zenescope or a downgrade for Dixon, and there's a writer I like at Zenescope.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Just read the last Letter 44 (the second to last issue in the series) and it's narrated as an writer choosing to write about the end of the world while it's happening and you begin to realize with little glimpses that instead of a person in the universe, it's actually Charles Soule telling you about writing the ending to a series.

I was curious as to what people thought of that, so popped over to the review aggregation site comicbookroundup.com to find the comic's had zero critic or user reviews since issue #19 (currently #34.) Then I Googled 'Letter 44 #34 review' and it's true.

I know comics are read a whole lot less than movies are watched or records are listened to and reviewed, but if that bummed me out, I imagine being a small publisher or a writer getting zero feedback.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I thought it was an interesting way to tell that story and I'm curious if it was an accurate representation of Soule's workspace. That said, I'm pretty sure it was still supposed to be in-universe, though I could be wrong.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
That black hammer book looks cool as heck.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Jesus Uber.

That's good... but also bad.

Oh man next issue:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s-VRyQprlu8

Synthbuttrange fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Jul 13, 2017

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
Uber was good. gently caress you, Siegfried. I'll be interested to see what tactics are developed as a counter to zephyrs. I dunno if any armour would be sufficient. If they have two weeks of subjective time they might be able to disassemble it, or to cut through it anyway. Creating a hail of distortion effects? But that would be very tiring and you'd need advance warning the zephyrs are around. What would a battleship zephyr look like? What's the optimal battleship mix like now? I imagine a blitzmensch battleship like Maria, who doesn't have much in the way of durability enhancement, would be very vulnerable to zephyrs!

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

She's a lot more destructive and can blow up literally everything around her in a huge radius. As seen in the issue, they cant avoid the halo effect if it's just way too dense. Hm, they didnt use any halo effects themselves. Does it not work or cant they use it while at speed?

edit:oh right, rereading these are 5 entirely new guys that only had zephyr?

Synthbuttrange fucked around with this message at 10:30 on Jul 13, 2017

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Synthbuttrange posted:

She's a lot more destructive and can blow up literally everything around her in a huge radius. As seen in the issue, they cant avoid the halo effect if it's just way too dense. Hm, they didnt use any halo effects themselves. Does it not work or cant they use it while at speed?

edit:oh right, rereading these are 5 entirely new guys that only had zephyr?

yeah. seems weird if 5 basic grunts can take down a battleship. maybe they had slightly more enhancements, it's not clear. they had no halo or strength enhancement at all.

as for maria, she'd have to know they're coming. it seems zephyrs could strike so fast no one would be aware.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Well cruiser zephyrs. Standard zephrs might move slow enough that they'd have a tiny bit of warning rather than the insane time compression of a 5x stack. Hm, still nothing that can help Leah though. :(

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
i imagine battleship heavies like leah might be a good way to deal with zephyrs. seems doubtful they'd be able to crack any part of a superheavy without strength or halo.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Neurosis posted:

i imagine battleship heavies like leah might be a good way to deal with zephyrs. seems doubtful they'd be able to crack any part of a superheavy without strength or halo.

If they can work out the mix so they have the size without the side effects a superheavy would be immune to drat near anything. Also just holy poo poo at the implications of zephyrs on the battlefield even outside of taking out battleships. With their speed they could slip past enemy lines, steal intelligence and light equipment, assassinate unenhanced targets with ease. It's like having a drone that really does only hit one target. I can't even imagine what kind of speed a Battleship stack zephyr load would have. Enough to phase through matter? Fast enough to strike a battleship in both eyes and then get clear of the blast with time to spare?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Uder: And that whole scenario is vs a battleship. Thinking about it, cruiser zephyrs would have no trouble loving up a massive number of regular tanks while they had the time. A week of lesiurely stabbing them all.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

Really enjoying imagining the German kid from the simpsons as a battleship or some poo poo hahaha

E: oh I guess he's uter. Well gently caress it, still funny

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Synthbuttrange posted:

Uder: And that whole scenario is vs a battleship. Thinking about it, cruiser zephyrs would have no trouble loving up a massive number of regular tanks while they had the time. A week of lesiurely stabbing them all.

Yeah I think they might be a bit op in a setting where the super types have been fairly well balanced

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
Though they're vulnerable to conventional weapons. Glass cannons.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Anyone try the new Mage last week?

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Teenage Fansub posted:

Anyone try the new Mage last week?

yeah. reads like there was never any break.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I bought it, but I'm holding off on reading it until I read the first two series first. I have it all ready to go on Comixology too.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
You've chosen wisely. They're some of the best comics ever.

Not a fan of The Steeze, but I suppose that's the joke.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
I dunno about the best comics ever. They're fun, and part of that is how there's not really anything like it out there. But it all feels a bit too shallow in many respects. A quick, easy read that you won't regret, but nothing you'll really go back to... Or so my memories of reading the originals 10+ years ago when I was 18 or 19 say.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I finished The Hero Discovered, and that was definitely an enjoyable comic.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Karen Berger is starting her own imprint of comics through Dark Horse.

quote:

Published by venerable indie-comics company Dark Horse Comics, Berger Books will debut four new series in 2018: Hungry Ghosts by Anthony Bourdain (yes, that Bourdain) and Joel Rose; Incognegro: Renaissance by Mat Johnson and Warren Pleece; Mata Hari by Emma Beeby and Ariela Kristantina; and The Seeds by Ann Nocenti and David Aja. On top of that, the imprint will rerelease Dave Gibbons’s out-of-print Vertigo tale The Originals in an expanded edition.

http://www.vulture.com/2017/07/vert...w&utm_medium=s1

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I'm in if Bourdain's series is about a ghostly fictitious version of him doing blow off a newly married bride's stomach while the line cook goes down on her. Otherwise not so much. His fiction is ok, not great.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

The Seeds and Mara Hari sound great.

Wasn't IDW also launching an imprint with a Vertigo veteran at the helm?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Endless Mike posted:

Ann Nocenti and David Aja

:mrwhite:

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

They can't be worse than Surgeon X.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
trying to get into Joyride but it's like...some c-grade material. pretty trite story beats and characterizations and like, everything really. even for comics.
bearing with it though.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
like wow jeez the writing is really bad

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
All dark horse is on sale on comixology for 50% off with dh17

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

First preview of a comic from the other ex-Vertigo editor's new imprint.
Peter Milligan and Tess Fowler's 'Kid Lobotomy' from Shelly Bond's Black Crown.
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/kid-lobotomy-preview-released-comic-con-2017-1020998

Marshal Radisic
Oct 9, 2012

So, hey, not quite sure if this is the right place to ask, but apparently the first part of the first Legend of Korra comic dropped today, and I'm wondering if anyone's bothered to pick it up. Some details about it were leaked a couple days ago, and the reactions I've read seem to be all over the place. I've mostly been hearing that the Korra/Asami relationship is far and away the predominant focus of the book, and that the actual conflict is rather lackluster, and I'm just wondering if that's true. Personally the only thing I cared about from the last season of Korra was the Kuvira/Earth Empire stuff, but who knows when or if the comics will ever get to that.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Shirtless Bear Fighter #2: not as good as Shirtless Bear Fighter #1. I'll give it another issue because I still really like the cartoony art and ridiculous premise

Picked up the Usagi Yojimbo / TMNT one shot to read with my son. It was Usagi and the turtles, written by Stan Sakai. In other words, it was great. After so much black and white it's strange to read an issue like this in colour though.

Not recent books but I burned though Scalped on the weekend and tossed in Goddamned and the first two trades of Spread for good measure.

Scalped was great. Gritty and violent cop drama. Over the top at times, but still grounded in a fairly real setting. Aaron is a really talented writer.

Goddamned was just over the top violence with great art.

Spread was too. There's something about Justin Jordan's books (well, this and Luther Strode) that I really love, despite not really having a history or connection with some of his source material.

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free
Super bummed about Spread ending earlier than he wanted it to, but I understand why.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.
Just did a re-read of Shutter and enjoyed it even more in one go than I did following issue by issue (and I liked it a lot already). Lots of interesting ideas, great art, and surprisingly emotional at points. Sad to see it go, but glad to see it last as long as it did and finish in the intended way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
WickDiv just feels like full schlock these days.