Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

SiKboy posted:

Has it ever been the bookies favourite? I'm honestly asking, I'm pretty sure Capaldi and Smith both were suprise casting (and int he case of Smith not many people even knew who the hell he was), but I dont really remember when tennant was cast if he was a name being bandied about beforehand. If the BBC publish an article saying "here are the likely prospects" then yeah, I'd personally be inclined to think "so this is a list of people it definitely isnt".

Capaldi's name didn't really come up until a few days before the announcement, but once it came up, he shot right up to being the clear bookies' favorite. Like, he wasn't rumored for the part until very late, but by the time it was officially announced, the rumors were so strong that it would've been more surprising if they announced someone else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Phoebe Waller-Bridge would be fine but Olivia Colman would be fantastic.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Big Mean Jerk posted:

It's actually me, that's why I'm in London.

It's like The Pope, where techinically any Catholic can be elected; you don't even have to be an actor to be The Doctor, just a registered Whovian.

I'd be hip to that.

learnincurve posted:

Jamie Bamber

Holy poo poo, that is an excellent idea! He has the scifi street cred with BSG, he's had semi leading roles in ensemble series like BSG and L&O:UK. Plus he's still kinda young and sexy. My mom, for example, loved Tennant and hates Capaldi--she'd be all for that.

docbeard posted:

I haven't ever really followed the bookies' choices that closely, but wasn't Patterson Joseph considered to be very heavily in the running for Eleven right up until Matt Smith was cast? That's a vague memory so I'm probably wrong about some/all of the details.

IIRC Patterson turned the role down, or so the rumor goes.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Ausgoons, JB Hi-Fi has a buy-one-get-one sale on classic Doctor Who dvd's.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
You know we're in a good place as fans when this is what our "hiatus" looks like

Even as someone that only buys the boxsets day one there's at least one release per month I want there (and a packed November between Ten, Unit, and Eight)

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Oh God I'm gonna have no(er) money

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

I mean I did all give you a big hint a couple of months ago.

Slowpoke!
Feb 12, 2008

ANIME IS FOR ADULTS
Looks like they are going to reveal it after the Men's Wimbledon final, so I guess sometime around noon EST on Sunday.

Odds that it leaks beforehand?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Slowpoke! posted:

Looks like they are going to reveal it after the Men's Wimbledon final, so I guess sometime around noon EST on Sunday.

Odds that it leaks beforehand?

Best post/username combo

Sad King Billy
Jan 27, 2006

Thats three of ours innit...to one of yours. You know mate I really think we ought to even up the average!
I'm bored of all this talk of diversity, oh we must have a woman Doctor, we must have a black Doctor

Those are the problems of yesterday and today, what of the prejudices of the future?

Tom was thinking along the same lines as I when he said that he wanted a talking cabbage as his companion. I would go further though, I would have a cabbage be cast as the Doctor. You could have anyone voice the sentient cabbage, or there maybe no need for a voice at all, just convey emotion through the rustle of a leaf.

Non humanoid lifeforms will receive a lot of hate in the future, so I think it is important that we pre-empt the hatred and educate people now by showing totally alien creatures in heroic roles normally portrayed by humans.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

All the racists ITT need to get over their fear of a Bluish Doctor.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

The_Doctor posted:

Best post/username combo

So good that I can't tell if it's a posting gimmick or just a coincidence.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Jerusalem posted:

Oh God I'm gonna have no(er) money

I used to make one or two massive BF purchases a year to cover everything I wanted. Now I have to do it on a month-by-month basis.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

The_Doctor posted:

I mean I did all give you a big hint a couple of months ago.

You are Kris Marshall?!

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Diabolik900 posted:

Capaldi's name didn't really come up until a few days before the announcement, but once it came up, he shot right up to being the clear bookies' favorite. Like, he wasn't rumored for the part until very late, but by the time it was officially announced, the rumors were so strong that it would've been more surprising if they announced someone else.

Two days before the announcement special, a flood of bets came in for Capaldi--to the point that it was obvious that someone had leaked the name--so the bookies actually closed the betting. Ben Daniels wound up being the fallback in the potential event that Capaldi decided not to take the part.

Wheat Loaf posted:

You are Kris Marshall?!

I was thinking Justin McElroy.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Timby posted:

I was thinking Justin McElroy.

Ouch, dude.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

The_Doctor posted:

Ouch, dude.

You have much better hair, and my rapidly whiting (not graying, whiting) and thinning coif envies it.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Do we suppose this will be another half-hour announcement special or is it just going to be one of those 10 second adverts Capaldi did where he said "Hello. My name I shall Peter Capaldi, and I am the Doctor!"

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

It'll be half an hour, but in the last 10 seconds when they go for the reveal it'll just be a bloodied body laying at Peter Capaldi's feet, and he turns to camera and says,"Hello. My name is Peter Capaldi, and I am STILL the Doctor!"

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so
Here's some new bookie predictions that are completely and totally meaningless:

Jodie Whittaker has gone up a bit, which is interesting but still completely and totally meaningless.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Forktoss posted:

Jodie Whittaker has gone up a bit, which is interesting but still completely and totally meaningless.

I thought I recognized that name; she was Efi in the Entire History of You episode of Black Mirror, and she was in Attack the Block opposite John Boyega.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Forktoss posted:

https://twitter.com/RichardAyoade/status/886252266545717250

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Forktoss posted:

I wish I understood how odds work. :(

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
I'm irritated that Tennant is even on that list.

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

https://twitter.com/TechnicallyRon/status/886189206300655616

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Nobody Wants A TARDIS Full Of Bras: When Bill's laundry starts to replicate and come to life, a comical inconvenience soon turns deadly. But just what is the Nestene Consciousness up to this time?

The BBC Are Trying To Brainwash Your Children: Nardole uncovers a sinister plot to embed subliminal messages in Into The Night Garden. But who could be to blame? Guest-starring Derek Jacobi

Time Travel Is For Men And Men Only: The Cybermen have seized control of the TARDIS and hold the Doctor and Nardole prisoner in a temporal loop. Now it's up to Missy and Bill to save them, but without a time machine of their own, how can they hope to succeed?

Political Correctness Should Not Exist In Space: The Gateway Beacon is a place where, by galactic law, anyone or anything may speak its mind without fear of repercussion. But when the mysterious entity known only as Nobody No-One moves in, loose lips really will sink (space)ships. Coming Soon, from Big Finish

Cruel Rose
May 27, 2010

saaave gotham~
come on~
DO IT, BATMAN
FUCKING BATMAN I FUCKING HATE YOU

docbeard posted:

Political Correctness Should Not Exist In Space: The Gateway Beacon is a place where, by galactic law, anyone or anything may speak its mind without fear of repercussion. But when the mysterious entity known only as Nobody No-One moves in, loose lips really will sink (space)ships. Coming Soon, from Big Finish

Nobody Wants A TARDIS Full Of Bras

:monocle: season plot arc discovered

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

docbeard posted:

Nobody Wants A TARDIS Full Of Bras

Wasn't this a lost Six/Peri episode?

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hQTlT8-qYUk

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Coming Soon, from Big Finish.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

CobiWann posted:

Wasn't this a lost Six/Peri episode?

Truly, it was something for the dads.

Murderion
Oct 4, 2009

2019. New York is in ruins. The global economy is spiralling. Cyborgs rule over poisoned wastes.

The only time that's left is
FUN TIME

Top right's a bit on the nose new title for The Green Death.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
All these folks are getting upset over nothing because it's probably still going to be Kris Marshall.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

I'm not sure I want to live on this planet anymore

Oben
Aug 7, 2004

Oh, the lights changed

Wheat Loaf posted:

All these folks are getting upset over nothing because it's probably still going to be Kris Marshall.
"Oh you think a woman would be a bad Doctor? Here's Kris Marshall!"

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

xtothez posted:

For all the good it'll do, I reported that as a "threat of violence" and a "threat of self-harm"

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Oben posted:

"Oh you think a woman would be a bad Doctor? Here's Kris Marshall!"

Haha if it is a woman Kris Marshall will become a new unwilling alt-right icon like Pepe the frog. :v:

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
The new Doctor is Miranda Hart

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
If I disapprove of the next actor to portray the main character of a children's show, I will commit heinous and astonishing violence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

xtothez posted:

I am hoping against hope that the rumored favorites are all wrong and the next Doctor will be an openly gay woman of color, if only to revel in the wailing and gnashing of teeth that it will cause among these lovely loving fans.

• Locked thread