Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
aware of dog
Nov 14, 2016

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

I lied, it's a freeze dryer and not a dehydrator and it's for when the world ends and you need to survive in a bunker so your family can eat lasagna and survive.

I know it's probably not this, but I find the idea of a freeze dryer meant only to use on lasagna completely plausible as a seen on tv product.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land
Literal nothing is going to save small town rural America. Destitution is inevitable as long as survival is contingent on employment.

Craig K
Nov 10, 2016

puck
fallout 5 with lead protagonist garfield

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Craig K posted:

fallout 5 with lead protagonist garfield

Alternate history where Ron Paul lead the Republican Party and froze all our lasagna

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Alternate history where Ron Paul lead the Republican Party and froze all our lasagna

Did Chicago save us all with its pizza?

Serfer
Mar 10, 2003

The piss tape is real

Mustached Demon posted:

Did Chicago save us all with its pizza?

Hot take, Chicago style "pizza" is, in fact, a casserole.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Serfer posted:

You utter, utter fucker

g0del
Jan 9, 2001

Fun Shoe

Oxxidation posted:

this is a legitimate problem, and a serious one
Stop using cottage cheese in your lasagna and it won't be so soggy.

swimgus
Oct 24, 2005
Camlin bought me this account because I'm a Jew!

aware of dog posted:

I know it's probably not this, but I find the idea of a freeze dryer meant only to use on lasagna completely plausible as a seen on tv product.

You can just buy freeze dried lasagna at any outdoors store. That poo poo is delicious. It's made for backpacking, and I've done that, but I've also just occasionally been too stoned with no food and done it at home. Just add water!

I kind of want one of those freeze driers. But then I would have to cook.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Serfer posted:

That's not a hot take it's a hot fact.

Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013

Serfer posted:

That's a lukewarm take at best.

alpha_destroy
Mar 23, 2010

Billy Butler: Fat Guy by Day, Doubles Machine by Night

Hollismason posted:

Kapernick's career is probably over as well because of this which is pretty crazy. Of course this may be more to do with him not being that great.

I'm only a casual fan, but doesn't Blaine loving Gabbert still have a job as someone's back-up? The only way Kaep isn't being blackballed is if he is refusing to sign not as a starter.

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

hotter take, chicago style is the only true pizza and everything else is a flatbread

swimgus
Oct 24, 2005
Camlin bought me this account because I'm a Jew!
Holy nuts. Not only is that Russian guy in the meeting with DT Jr. a KGB officer, he also was accused of hacking emails for Russia in 2015.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/07/14/us/politics/russian-american-lobbyist-meeting-trump.html

New York Times posted:

In 2015, International Mineral Resources, a mining company based in the Netherlands, accused Mr. Akhmetshin of hacking into its computer systems, stealing confidential information and unlawfully disseminating it as part of a smear campaign orchestrated by a rival Russian mining firm.
So he probably almost definitely offered DNC hacks for sanctions relief. Any way Mueller will be able to prove it in court?

Haven't Trump and Tillerson been hinting at lifting sanctions whenever the Russia story isn't absolutely exploding?

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Plebian Parasite posted:

hotter take, chicago style is the only true pizza and everything else is a flatbread

That's a piping hot take (out)!

Terex
Jan 2, 2013

La Brea Carpet posted:

Plunking a few huge datacenters in rural WV in abandoned hardened mines wouldn't be the worst thing.

What are you proposing? Underground mines are designed to get as much coal as possible. This means they mine from the back to the front letting the roof (gob) collapse as they retreat back to the portal. Very little is left when they are finished and what is left is unsafe.

Surface mines tend to result in giant holes which turn into lakes. If the seam was flat enough I can see the possibility of building something in an old pit, but if you are looking to rehabilitate a pit instead of reclaiming it then there are better options like using it as a pumped storage hydroelectric reservoir (essentially a giant battery for renewables).

I've heard of old lead mines being used as commercial space, but modern mining techniques recover a lot more of the ore body. This means that generally mines are designed with low factors of safety (near one) which makes them unsuitable for human occupation long term (structures are designed with higher than two). Building in an old surface mine would also run into the issue where you are either building directly on bedrock or on poorly consolidated loose rock fill. A minimum wage would be much easier.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Captain Invictus posted:

You utter, utter fucker

I could not concur with you more, my goon sir.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Chilichimp posted:

They're losing their minds because they're loving fascists who worship their flag, their military, and their police.

You can take the name of their god in vain before them and they won't bat an eye, but if you refuse to acknowledge the pledge of allegiance, BUCKLE UP!

Some of them yes. Some of them its more complicated. Imagine something that flips your moral switch. You don't get to choose that switch turns out a good chunk of it genetic. Now imagine assholes doing it over and over again on purpose.

Look we have this derail about rural West Virginians. How do did they get those people to vote republican? In many cases thier parents didn't (or don't). You flip thier moral switches over and over again and combine it with your messaging.

How do you get to people who would hate Trump if they knew the man to vote for him. It's not all racism. Racism is some of it. Evidence says racism is some of it.

The fascists and racists are a lost cause. But there are fence sitters too.

La Brea Carpet
Nov 22, 2007

I have no mouth and I must post

Terex posted:

What are you proposing? Underground mines are designed to get as much coal as possible. This means they mine from the back to the front letting the roof (gob) collapse as they retreat back to the portal. Very little is left when they are finished and what is left is unsafe.

Surface mines tend to result in giant holes which turn into lakes. If the seam was flat enough I can see the possibility of building something in an old pit, but if you are looking to rehabilitate a pit instead of reclaiming it then there are better options like using it as a pumped storage hydroelectric reservoir (essentially a giant battery for renewables).

I've heard of old lead mines being used as commercial space, but modern mining techniques recover a lot more of the ore body. This means that generally mines are designed with low factors of safety (near one) which makes them unsuitable for human occupation long term (structures are designed with higher than two). Building in an old surface mine would also run into the issue where you are either building directly on bedrock or on poorly consolidated loose rock fill. A minimum wage would be much easier.

I'm not a minologist, but if mines aren't safe I'm sure there's a few limestone caves that could be outfitted as well. I'm just saying that there are ways to use the state's features as a bonus rather than just agreeing that they should all just build solar panels instead. Especially from a government infrastructure standpoint.

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.

alpha_destroy posted:

I'm only a casual fan, but doesn't Blaine loving Gabbert still have a job as someone's back-up? The only way Kaep isn't being blackballed is if he is refusing to sign not as a starter.

The bears paid many millions of dollars for a loving giraffe so kaep could definitely be a back up somewhere

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

La Brea Carpet posted:

I'm not a minologist, but if mines aren't safe I'm sure there's a few limestone caves that could be outfitted as well. I'm just saying that there are ways to use the state's features as a bonus rather than just agreeing that they should all just build solar panels instead. Especially from a government infrastructure standpoint.

Ok, they put some data centers and such into rural nowhere and now you've gotten convince smart people to move to rural nowhere. How?

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
My solution is high speed rail everywhere

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Boris Galerkin posted:

Ok, they put some data centers and such into rural nowhere and now you've gotten convince smart people to move to rural nowhere. How?

Trader Joe's and cheap land?

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

Mustached Demon posted:

Trader Joe's and cheap land?

Oh my gosh it's a visitor from 1980! I have bad news...

La Brea Carpet
Nov 22, 2007

I have no mouth and I must post

Boris Galerkin posted:

Joke Answer: Soul Cycle and Craft Breweries

Real Answer: You have a training task force that travels and trains local people for the jobs needed. Or you offer courses in the run up to the facility opening. Keep in mind you'd need more than just keyboard jockeys. You'd need people to maintain the structure, power lines, data cables, physical security, and all sorts of other things.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
No, but seriously lets discuss just like high speed rail everywhere. Like in your home, your office, your kids birthday parties. Put that poo poo everywhere.

Oh and kiosk for private masturbation during the working day.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Hollismason posted:

No, but seriously lets discuss just like high speed rail everywhere. Like in your home, your office, your kids birthday parties. Put that poo poo everywhere.

Oh and kiosk for private masturbation during the working day.

High speed rail is awesome from getting to established place to established place, but just throwing them in the middle of nowhere to support a new business (ie a data center or whatever) runs the risk of old fashioned boom towns.

Also does your work not have bathroom stalls you animal

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

What happens when over 90% of the population lives in cities and the majority of the country is governed by Senators representing completely desolate death-zones for everyone but the richest Aluminum Siding Manufacturing Company owners?

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

i am harry posted:

What happens when over 90% of the population lives in cities and the majority of the country is governed by Senators representing completely desolate death-zones for everyone but the richest Aluminum Siding Manufacturing Company owners?

So like, now?

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

That's what I said as I wrote those words :sigh:

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
I hope you level up! :)

aware of dog posted:

Thank god, my lasagna has just been too darn wet lately

Seeing Ron Paul sell gadgets on late night TV is probably a good way to cure excessive wetness in general.

Hastings
Dec 30, 2008

Plebian Parasite posted:

Chicago style pizza is literally a meat pie masquerading as pizza. At last shepherd's pie and pot pies have the decency to be honest about themselves.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

La Brea Carpet posted:

Joke Answer: Soul Cycle and Craft Breweries

Real Answer: You have a training task force that travels and trains local people for the jobs needed. Or you offer courses in the run up to the facility opening. Keep in mind you'd need more than just keyboard jockeys. You'd need people to maintain the structure, power lines, data cables, physical security, and all sorts of other things.

Uh, NPR had a three part series on this very thing, and no one who was retrained was even hired.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Solkanar512 posted:

Uh, NPR had a three part series on this very thing, and no one who was retrained was even hired.
Is this part of it? http://www.npr.org/2017/07/04/535474992/for-job-retraining-programs-to-work-people-need-to-show-up

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer

Total Contributions from this PAC to federal candidates
(15% to Democrats, 85% to Republicans) $69,000

A nice amount.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Hastings posted:

Chicago style pizza is literally a meat pie masquerading as pizza. At last shepherd's pie and pot pies have the decency to be honest about themselves.

Would you say its a pizza pie?

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
I hope you level up! :)

i am harry posted:

That may be the case in the Senate (although there are a number of small liberal states that counteract the small conservative states: Delaware, Vermont, Rhode Island, Hawaii.

In the House though, the Republican Party's big voting block is people who are suburban and exurban.

Pennsylvania, which by most objective (as opposed to narrative) measures is a heavily and densely populated state on the East Coast, has 13 Republican Representatives, as much as Idaho, Wyoming, Utah, Montana, the Dakotas, and Nebraska combined.
The United States Republican Party is not based in small little farm towns because there aren't a lot of those places left. It is based in suburbs and exurbs that are relatively close to metropolitan areas.

This is an easily objectively verifiable fact, it is a fact that the entire future of our country hinges on, but it is a fact that is extremely frightening to people because it means the end of a narrative.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

The Glumslinger posted:

Would you say its a pizza pie?

It's tomato cake. :colbert:

Pembroke Fuse
Dec 29, 2008

glowing-fish posted:

The United States Republican Party is not based in small little farm towns because there aren't a lot of those places left. It is based in suburbs and exurbs that are relatively close to metropolitan areas.

This is an easily objectively verifiable fact, it is a fact that the entire future of our country hinges on, but it is a fact that is extremely frightening to people because it means the end of a narrative.

The suburbs: where America goes to die.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

skylined! posted:

so does anyone want to take their best guess at why all of these Russians are releasing details of this meeting, other than maximum chaos from Putin

I think a helpful piece of advice for anyone if you ever find yourself in the situation where your wife/parents/the NY Times is asking what you really did last Friday night, is that you don't double down on the lie. They are asking because they have some evidence that you lied. If you really feel the need to continue the lie, find out what they know, confirm what they know, add some details that they don't know and protect the bigger secrets. People who only know half the story are generally smart enough to figure out that they only know half the story and will continue investigating until they know the whole story. If you keep telling the lie then they will never believe they've uncovered the entire truth, and they will just keep digging and digging.

The Russians here are not idiots and really are just freely and openly admitting to poo poo that we already knew. If the Washington Post Calls and asks you if you had a four o'clock meeting at Trump Tower on June 9, there's no point denying it. Most of your background is going to be uncovered by 30 minutes of searching on Google, so you might as well own that too.

• Locked thread