Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

In Watch Dogs 1 just get in a boat and the cops can no longer pursue you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Something awful just happened in the Order of the Phoenix game - as I was lighting torches for discovery points, the game started screaming at me, higher and higher with each torch. I don't know what caused it, as the console was quiet, and the noise stopped in the menu, so it must be some weird thing with the fire sound effect in the viaduct. That was just awful.

Also Gobstones is total bullshit - it's the hardest minigame bar none, and you need to not only do it 4 times, but each player needs you to beat them three times in a row - they only need one win to kill your streak and kick you out of the game. 12 rounds of Gobstones? Don't think so :colbert:

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

I'm finally trying out Vanquish and I feel like I'm missing something, like my guy is WAY too fragile to use any of the cool mobility options I have. If I try the neat sliding move, I'll get knocked out of the slide by enemy fire like a second into it, and then immediately knocked into the "poo poo you're about to die" slow-mo, and I have to scramble back into cover. If I play the game like a strict cover shooter then everything goes smoothly but that's boring :mad:

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Triarii posted:

I'm finally trying out Vanquish and I feel like I'm missing something, like my guy is WAY too fragile to use any of the cool mobility options I have. If I try the neat sliding move, I'll get knocked out of the slide by enemy fire like a second into it, and then immediately knocked into the "poo poo you're about to die" slow-mo, and I have to scramble back into cover. If I play the game like a strict cover shooter then everything goes smoothly but that's boring :mad:

Are you playing on PC? I don't know if they fixed it but there was a bug where if you played at higher than 30FPS(like pretty much everyone on PC did) you would take more damage since the invulnerability frames were tied to frames and not time. There is a fan patch floating around that fixes it if Platinum/SEGA didn't patch it out by now.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Triarii posted:

How often are you flicking cigarettes?

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
I love Nier: Automata but goddamn the lock-on sucks. Instead of ever locking on to the thing you're actually pointing at, it locks on to whichever enemy is nearest to you. Even if it's behind you, off-camera.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Triarii posted:

Yeah, I ran into a similar issue. Most arenas are fairly small and narrow to boot, so the only direction to actually boost towards was right into the enemy. Most of the time it was simply safer and easier to just drill dudes in the head from cover. Meanwhile boosting often made it harder for me to actually hit things due to the lower angle and imposed movement despite the slow-mo, not to mention that it'd leave me more exposed. The risk/reward dynamic just usually didn't shake out in favour of boosting. It only really worked out for me in a handful of situations where you're actually given the necessary space and suitable enemies to go up against, like the final bossfight.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
So I finally started playing the FFX HD on steam and oh man this font looks like some cheap RPG maker poo poo. Also there are built in cheats, that's real weird. But I guess it beats grinding out a max sphere grid for the bonus bosses?

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

Olive Garden tonight! posted:

I love Nier: Automata but goddamn the lock-on sucks. Instead of ever locking on to the thing you're actually pointing at, it locks on to whichever enemy is nearest to you. Even if it's behind you, off-camera.
Yeah. It's frustrating that they made a combat system that seems extremely like Bayonetta's system, but the execution just isn't there for some reason.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Horizon is a ton of fun and packed with small details...but the trophies are so boring and there's not even a whiff of fun about them. Come on guys, you give us robo-dinosaurs but can't be bothered to have anything more appealing than "stealth kill ten things", "pick up ten things" and so on. Those are even the names of the achievements!

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

poptart_fairy posted:

Horizon is a ton of fun and packed with small details...but the trophies are so boring and there's not even a whiff of fun about them. Come on guys, you give us robo-dinosaurs but can't be bothered to have anything more appealing than "stealth kill ten things", "pick up ten things" and so on. Those are even the names of the achievements!

Whats always interesting to me is when you can tell a dev didnt understand the trophy system. Like when theyre IN ALL CAPS or theyre listed as "[Game name] trophy set", or like in this case the description went in the name. Though that might have been lack of creativity like youre saying.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Nuebot posted:

So I finally started playing the FFX HD on steam and oh man this font looks like some cheap RPG maker poo poo. Also there are built in cheats, that's real weird. But I guess it beats grinding out a max sphere grid for the bonus bosses?
The fast-forward "cheat" is real nice though.

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

I have been working out! My modem is broken and my phone eats half the posts I try to make, including all the posts I've tried to make here. I'll try this one more time.

Triarii posted:

Shooting while boosting is not often worth it, and the boost is best used to get you between cover quickly, or flank enemies. You can also boost dodge to cover long distances with a lot of i-frames and low suit drain (if you can handle the constant FoV shifts). Boosting toward enemies is a bad idea, and should only be done if you're very close, because you can boost melee an enemy to get a good jump, which can help you shoot over cover in slo-mo. It takes some practice to get the hang of it, but it's extremely satisfying when you do. Good luck!

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

The combat seems to have changed in assassin's creed somewhere along the line. In syndicate your character doesn't seem to square up to a target in combat now, and you continue to run around as opposed to strafing around one enemy. Makes.positioning in fights more difficult.

If I'm wrong about this please tell me, as I've died a few times in fights.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

FactsAreUseless posted:

The fast-forward "cheat" is real nice though.

Yeah I'm probably going to wind up using turbo-mode for like half the game.

Also, trailer for Kingdom Hearts 3 launched. They added weird ultra attacks now where the keyblade turns into like, extendo swords and giant cannons. I'm not really digging it, looks like a step back from the different forms in 2.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Triarii posted:

Actulally the best advice I can give should have been that the Vault + Aim ability is the best move because it gives you a height advantage over all the enemies who are level with you but you only have until you land to make your shots in Reflex Mode.

Action Tortoise has a new favorite as of 02:47 on Jul 16, 2017

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Action Tortoise posted:

Actulally the best advice I can give should have been that the Vault + Aim ability is the best move because it gives you a height advantage over all the enemies who are level with you but you only have until you land to make your shots in Reflex Mode.

was about to post this.

poptart_fairy posted:

Guerrilla Games has always had boring, un-fun trophies. It's like their hallmark.

All the Killzone games' trophies were essentially all variations of "shoot [gun] x number of times" or "kill x number of enemies". Oh, I guess Killzone 1 HD had a trophy for picking up 10,000 rounds for one of the most common guns--that was different. Usually the games want you to kill tens of thousands of enemies. They all loving suck.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I've been replaying Shadow of Mordor in prep for the sequel and something that's kind of bad is how the early game is you helping an orc named Ratbag move up the ranks and then as soon as he gets promoted to Warchief the next mission has him get unceremoniously killed off by a boss.

Bar Crow
Oct 10, 2012

muscles like this! posted:

I've been replaying Shadow of Mordor in prep for the sequel and something that's kind of bad is how the early game is you helping an orc named Ratbag move up the ranks and then as soon as he gets promoted to Warchief the next mission has him get unceremoniously killed off by a boss.

Rip in peace Ratbag. Shadow of Mordor is a game where all the important gameplay and tone parts are good but messes up with its story pacing.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Bar Crow posted:

Rip in peace Ratbag. Shadow of Mordor is a game where all the important gameplay and tone parts are good but messes up with its story pacing.

At least the end of the game is unlocked by obvious mechanical choices rather than being tied to bullshit story stuff. You look at the system, you see how to "win" and the game's response is "yup basically that, go for it boyo."

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Man, they made 49 out of 50 of the alien space parts in Grand Theft Auto 5 entirely reasonable, but then they make one of those fuckers inside of a bridge that you're either forced to (a) glitch a helicopter into the struts enough so that you can get out of the helicopter or b) coast out on a parachute that is guaranteed to splat you upon contact with the bridge.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

MisterBibs posted:

Man, they made 49 out of 50 of the alien space parts in Grand Theft Auto 5 entirely reasonable, but then they make one of those fuckers inside of a bridge that you're either forced to (a) glitch a helicopter into the struts enough so that you can get out of the helicopter or b) coast out on a parachute that is guaranteed to splat you upon contact with the bridge.

Have you tried using a gravity defying golf cart to just coast right in there? Or did they fix golf carts working on mountain goat physics?

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Nuebot posted:

Have you tried using a gravity defying golf cart to just coast right in there? Or did they fix golf carts working on mountain goat physics?

I have literally no idea what you're talking about.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The thing about SoM is that the Nemesis system is really cool and neat and everything else in the game is just kind of mediocre.

Really they should have just kept their original idea and put the Nemesis system into a Batman game where the mechanics make a lot more sense.

aardwolf
Apr 27, 2013

Fil5000 posted:

I liked that in New Vegas you could murder anyone and still get through the game. I didn't like it so much in the Honest Hearts expansion when the first guy you meet could die just before you talked to him and then all the quests for the expansion popped as completed/ended. That was pretty dumb.

IIRC, Rope Kid (Josh Sawyer) said that the character was originally marked invulnerable / essential but somehow that flag wasn't set in the release version. Nobody on the development team would admit to being the one who did it :iiam:

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Zero Time Dilemma is an adventure/escape room game with branching paths. The gimmick is that you can jump between the paths and have to use stuff you learned in one path to progress in another. But now I'm at a point where all my ways forward are spots where I have to use my knowledge of what happens in other paths to continue. The problem is I don't actually remember any of the passwords I need to continue past these points, and worse, due to the structure of the game I don't even know which ones I should know by now and which ones I shouldn't. So I for any given password I don't know whether looking it up online would be spoiler or just a reminder.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Final Fantasy XIV, even with additional XP granted by quests after the latest expansion hit, has structured its XP in such a way that if you do every dungeon once, and do every main story quest, and every quest for your class/job, and every hunt for your class/job... you will still be shy of certain level requirements to finish up the initial main story and have to repeat dungeons or grind world quests (called FATEs) or do the gimmick dungeon that people use for levelling.

Especially bad is that you get stopped short not every now and then, but instead get blueballed at like level 41 to 43, and then again when the recommend level of quests jumps from 46 to 49.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

What is it with DS games and lovely touch controls? I picked up that Sonic the Hedgehog bioware RPG (I have a bad habit of buying awful games for long flights) and the touch controls are easily the worst thing about the game (which is terrible, so that says a lot).

The Moon Monster posted:

Zero Time Dilemma is an adventure/escape room game with branching paths. The gimmick is that you can jump between the paths and have to use stuff you learned in one path to progress in another. But now I'm at a point where all my ways forward are spots where I have to use my knowledge of what happens in other paths to continue. The problem is I don't actually remember any of the passwords I need to continue past these points, and worse, due to the structure of the game I don't even know which ones I should know by now and which ones I shouldn't. So I for any given password I don't know whether looking it up online would be spoiler or just a reminder.

It's been a while but I don't think this is how it actually works. You should try it anyways though because what happens when you do is great.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
I think Nintendo required DS games to make use of touch controls, at least for a while. Leading to stupid garbage like Dawn of Sorrow requiring you to whip out the stylus and draw a dumb rune after you kill a boss or else they don't actually die.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

RyokoTK posted:

I think Nintendo required DS games to make use of touch controls, at least for a while. Leading to stupid garbage like Dawn of Sorrow requiring you to whip out the stylus and draw a dumb rune after you kill a boss or else they don't actually die.

This reminds me of Uncharted 1 requiring you to use grenades with the sixaxis and then I think future games in the series don't even give you the option to do that. Same with balance beams.

Killzone 2's sole concession to this (that I remember) was the planting of demolition charges requiring you to twist the controller like it's a steering wheel.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

poptart_fairy posted:

Does a good game need trophies? Not dismissing, genuinely asking. I got the plat for that game without actively seeking it and that to me was ideal. It meant that if you just seek fun you won't have to go out of your way to "finish" the game. A lot of the time trophies just feel like busywork.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

RyokoTK posted:

I'm pretty sure that's true to some degree....but this game came out almost five years after the DS did - it's just bad design.

Parts of the battle system are neat though, they seem almost ripped from Elite Beat Agents.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Deified Data posted:

Does a good game need trophies? Not dismissing, genuinely asking. I got the plat for that game without actively seeking it and that to me was ideal. It meant that if you just seek fun you won't have to go out of your way to "finish" the game. A lot of the time trophies just feel like busywork.

Sometimes trophies are a nice little thing for doing things you wouldn't ordinarily do or for a little bit of replayability. Pointless collectibles are the worst version of this, but there can be neat ones for little combat challenges, just as a bit of recognition.

And they're an easy way for a developer to see who did what in a game without building their own API for it. e.g. which companions did people use most in Mass Effect 1? Query the "used Wrex a lot" achievement vs the "beat the game" achievement.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
Nier: Automata

gently caress you Emil. I've been trying nonstop to get you to spawn in the right location so I can buy the materials I need to finish upgrading my weapons, but even when you spawn on the right cycle, you refuse to sell me the loving materials and only sell useless, overpriced, way too space-intensive chips. I'm considering just farming the materials myself because you won't loving do this for me.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

bewilderment posted:

Final Fantasy XIV, even with additional XP granted by quests after the latest expansion hit, has structured its XP in such a way that if you do every dungeon once, and do every main story quest, and every quest for your class/job, and every hunt for your class/job... you will still be shy of certain level requirements to finish up the initial main story and have to repeat dungeons or grind world quests (called FATEs) or do the gimmick dungeon that people use for levelling.

Especially bad is that you get stopped short not every now and then, but instead get blueballed at like level 41 to 43, and then again when the recommend level of quests jumps from 46 to 49.
The game wants you to run the daily roulettes so that there are enough players doing earlier dungeons that new players don't have to wait an hour to get into Sastasha or whatever.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Olive Garden tonight! posted:

Nier: Automata

gently caress you Emil. I've been trying nonstop to get you to spawn in the right location so I can buy the materials I need to finish upgrading my weapons, but even when you spawn on the right cycle, you refuse to sell me the loving materials and only sell useless, overpriced, way too space-intensive chips. I'm considering just farming the materials myself because you won't loving do this for me.

The biggest trick is that it's all RNG. He'll sell the materials anywhere as long as you've progressed the plot to the right point and he's travelling super fast.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

Nuebot posted:

The biggest trick is that it's all RNG. He'll sell the materials anywhere as long as you've progressed the plot to the right point and he's travelling super fast.

This hasn't been the case for me though.

Unless chapter 17-1 doesn't count as 'the plot being progressed enough'. I've stopped him half a dozen times (in different spots, in front of the camp, near the waterfall, in the pit) during his super-speed cycle and he still just wants to sell me chips. I did see his stock of rare materials only once, several playthroughs ago, but I obviously didn't know exactly which materials I would need.

e: if it is still rng even when he is moving fast that blows.

Olive! has a new favorite as of 10:23 on Jul 17, 2017

New Butt Order
Jun 20, 2017

muscles like this! posted:

The thing about SoM is that the Nemesis system is really cool and neat and everything else in the game is just kind of mediocre.

Really they should have just kept their original idea and put the Nemesis system into a Batman game where the mechanics make a lot more sense.

I would really like it if the Nemesis system became the new Bullet Time and just got crammed into every game whether it was a good fit or not. That poo poo owns. My only beef with the Nemesis system is that it kind of expects you to not be very good at the game. I rarely died and always got my revenge when I did, so during the final showdown, the game decided that my Arch Nemesis is an Orc I'd killed about half a dozen times already and was only around for the finale because no matter how many times I had him burned, beheaded or hucked off a cliff he would always manage to walk it off and come back for more.

Endless Legend: Borrowing from Civ, there's about 8 different victory conditions available to claim your win, but the correct one to go for is the Quest Victory. Unless they give you something genuinely impossible to pull off (like requiring you to go to war with a faction who hopelessly outguns you) taking any other victory condition is basically just making things harder for yourself. The most egregious is, of course, the Wonder Victory, which requires you to do about 99% of the Quest Victory condition but then instead ignore the final quest and build a Wonder that will take significantly longer to complete than the final quest even with a production-focused megacity to build it.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Deified Data posted:

Oh, it's not so much the trophies themselves, it's just something I feel shows an extra layer of love when a game gives them fun names, or makes them more interesting than "Kill Ten Dudes - You Killed Ten Dudes". Having a game otherwise stuffed full of tid bits feels a bit off when the trophies are suddenly all clinical and dull.

Fable 3 was really cute with this - achievements would say one thing before they were unlocked (such as I don't know "There is a dude you should meet..."), and the change when you'd unlocked them ("...he turned out to be a dick so you shot him"). It fit the quirky humour of the series rather than just being another drop down list.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Somfin posted:

At least the end of the game is unlocked by obvious mechanical choices rather than being tied to bullshit story stuff. You look at the system, you see how to "win" and the game's response is "yup basically that, go for it boyo."

Except to actually unlock the last boss fight you need to do all those bullshit side quests like helping the dwarf go hunting