Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

https://twitter.com/HeroNamedDeku/status/872188084649152512

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Je suis fatigue
May 5, 2009

Amazing! It's a double J.O.!
Rewatching the anime and I don't think any of the first-year students are the traitor. When the LoV attacked USJ they knew the layout of the building and put their cronies in areas they would do well in, but divided the students randomly without knowing anything about them. It should have been the opposite if a first year was the traitor since they know their classmates' quirks but have never been to USJ. Unless it's different in the manga idk I only read it after I watched what was out.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Ruggington posted:

anybody who's at all a fan of shonen should read dragon ball imo

you should read dragon ball even if you've seen dragon ball because toriyama's a good artist

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

Manatee Cannon posted:

you should read dragon ball even if you've seen dragon ball because toriyama's a good artist

:yeah:

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Je suis fatigue posted:

Rewatching the anime and I don't think any of the first-year students are the traitor. When the LoV attacked USJ they knew the layout of the building and put their cronies in areas they would do well in, but divided the students randomly without knowing anything about them. It should have been the opposite if a first year was the traitor since they know their classmates' quirks but have never been to USJ. Unless it's different in the manga idk I only read it after I watched what was out.

The thing about USJ is, the attack there was planned based on the break-in that happened previously, They stole information and stuff; it's why Shigaraki destroyed the gate and let all the reporters in, so they could learn when and where to get All Might.

The latter point about there not being a first year telling them stuff then does hold, but that just means they didn't have one yet. They could have gotten their claws in later. A student seems more likely than an adult there too, really; it seems like it'd be harder to turn an adult like that, and if they already had one they wouldn't have needed to, you know, break in to steal the schedule for the USJ attack and all, so the mole likely was "corrupted" after that.

Or, well, maybe, at least. I could be completely off here.

Poltergrift
Feb 16, 2014

"When I grow up, I'm gonna be a proper swordsman. One with clothes."
Plus, I feel like it's narratively / thematically more impactful if one of the students is the traitor -- all the teachers are great, but they're not near and dear to our hearts as readers the way the students are*.

* Excluding All Might (who cannot possibly be the traitor), Eraserhead (not likely), and dear, sweet, beautiful Present Mic (how dare you even insinuate it).

Je suis fatigue
May 5, 2009

Amazing! It's a double J.O.!
Mostly I was just thinking about the Kaminari is the traitor theory it just doesn't make sense if they couldn't even get info on his classmates quirks.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
I'm glad Deku got OFA because the whole OFA vs. AFO story and themes are some of the most interesting parts of the series.

Anyway wtf are the illustrations used to represent Horikoshi's assistants? Are they characters from existing works?

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Guy on the top-right reminds me of the antagonist from Ichi the Killer.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Jeb! Repetition posted:

I'm glad Deku got OFA because the whole OFA vs. AFO story and themes are some of the most interesting parts of the series.

Anyway wtf are the illustrations used to represent Horikoshi's assistants? Are they characters from existing works?

If I recall all of the characters there are drawn by each individual assistant.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Horikoshi needs to cull some of the cast and spend more time on the standout characters instead of giving every tom dick and harry a moment in the sun because Notsauske and Kirishima are dull as dishwater.

It doesn't help that both of the last two fights have played out almost identically.

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!

Vengarr posted:

Mx0 was really quite good and it getting canceled is still one of the top 10 anime betrayals of all time

I managed to forget. Why would you do this to me?

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Horikoshi needs to cull some of the cast and spend more time on the standout characters instead of giving every tom dick and harry a moment in the sun because Notsauske and Kirishima are dull as dishwater.

It doesn't help that both of the last two fights have played out almost identically.

I don't think he need to cull the 1-A students - Kirishima's flashback is the most interesting thing to happen for the last several weeks.

Sasuke/Suneater's fight was hard to follow and rather unnecessary for how long it went. I didn't find it interesting at all in retrospect.

Solanumai fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Jul 15, 2017

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
I don't really hate Kirishima's flashback(besides the placement of it, anyway), but it's pretty bog standard "I had a crisis of confidence but then decided to try anyway" stuff. Probably the most interesting tidbit from it was finding out Mina was apparently a rising hero star in middle school.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.

Kanos posted:

I don't really hate Kirishima's flashback(besides the placement of it, anyway), but it's pretty bog standard "I had a crisis of confidence but then decided to try anyway" stuff.

Kind of a perfect fit considering who it is, though. Even his origin story doesn't stand out much. Poor guy can't style his way out of a paper bag.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Unless Hori really drops the ball this arc reeks of one that has a huge shakeup or two in it. Suneater's relationship with Mirio and his own lack of confidence is a set up for something other than just him beating a few mooks. Same for Kirishima.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
Yeah, in a vacuum these things wouldn't be super great or anything. But this is midway through a plot arc and character development stuff, so context is pretty important!

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Fabricated posted:

Unless Hori really drops the ball this arc reeks of one that has a huge shakeup or two in it. Suneater's relationship with Mirio and his own lack of confidence is a set up for something other than just him beating a few mooks. Same for Kirishima.

maybe sasuke is the sasuke

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Tag yourself, I'm Ten Ton Tits.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
I'm the living hoodie wearing a snot monster mask

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Im the three balled scrotum

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
The "F" stands for "Fuckit"!

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」
What do manga assistants typically do? Help do lines? Act as an editor? General management and appointment booking?

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Lines, backgrounds, inking. In togashis case sometime his wife does entire chapters whenever his back pain starts to make him wish for the sweet release of death

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Isn't that just a theory thought because he's married to Takeuchi rather than anything that's ever been confirmed.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

NO LISTEN TO ME posted:

What do manga assistants typically do? Help do lines? Act as an editor? General management and appointment booking?

They draw backgrounds and other details. Twenty pages a week is too much for one person to do alone.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

EmmyOk posted:

Isn't that just a theory thought because he's married to Takeuchi rather than anything that's ever been confirmed.

Some of the chapters in the current arc have traces of her art style. I'm pretty sure he still insists on drawing most of it himself, though; otherwise the chapters would come out more often.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Silver2195 posted:

They draw backgrounds and other details. Twenty pages a week is too much for one person to do alone.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Lines, backgrounds, inking. In togashis case sometime his wife does entire chapters whenever his back pain starts to make him wish for the sweet release of death

Someone was telling me that togashi used to spend hours drawing while laying in completely absurd positions and talking on the phone to the sailor moon author, is any of this true

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Meme Emulator posted:

Someone was telling me that togashi used to spend hours drawing while laying in completely absurd positions and talking on the phone to the sailor moon author, is any of this true

Confirming, also he got locked in an hotel room by his editor and forced to finish chapters at gunpoint.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Togashi is also apparently kind of a slob. Images of him in his own studio was basically like a garbage dump. He preferred to draw laying on his stomach, which rendered his spine into playdough.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Fabricated posted:

Togashi is also apparently kind of a slob. Images of him in his own studio was basically like a garbage dump. He preferred to draw laying on his stomach, which rendered his spine into playdough.

Bon Clays attack where he makes the funniest face, but its the most decrepit manga artist. Togashis Spine, Odas Lungs, ????

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Fabricated posted:

The best part was putting it in the GI arc.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Meme Emulator posted:

Bon Clays attack where he makes the funniest face, but its the most decrepit manga artist. Togashis Spine, Odas Lungs, ????
Horikoshi's immune system.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Hiro Mashima's Wiener, Tite Kubo's ego...

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

PMush Perfect posted:

Horikoshi's immune system.
The cardiovascular system of the of the Highschool of the Dead guy (:rip:), the neck of World Trigger guy, and the immune system of the D.Gray Man mangaka

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Akira Toriyama's memory and/or :effort:.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Meme Emulator posted:

The poor posture thing is true, and since he's now married to the Sailor Moon author, it's a good bet that he talked with her on the phone at some point. I'm pretty sure the story about him being locked in a hotel room is an urban legend, though.

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Confirming, also he got locked in an hotel room by his editor and forced to finish chapters at gunpoint.

So Bakuman was actually a documentary.

I have to say that besides Kirishima's flashback I'm not liking this arc at all. In fact, I read the last two chapters yesterday because I forgot to read last week's one. I usually compare MHA with the best era of Naruto but these last fights reminded me of the worst era of Bleach, with a bunch of numbered uninteresting villains out from nowhere filling chapters at a glacial pace mostly filled with explanations about their powers and motivational flashbacks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

Meme Emulator posted:

The messing up his back by laying on his stomach while he drew for hours on end part is definitely true.
The part about him talking to his girlfriend/wife on the phone while while twirling the phone cord with his finger and moving his legs back and forth in the air may or may not be true, but I hope it is.