Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

VolatileSky posted:

Finally stopped adding small poo poo to everything and got around to priming.

Wraith lord I wanted to have carrying a rifle with the idea of a fixed bayonet that still counted as having the sword and brightlance.

Magnetised the front plates so that the Lance array on each can be swapped out for whatever. Right now I just have the Lances and two totally flat panels. I still have plans to make a pair of battle cannons with cloth cowling, but haven't felt like sculpting after putting that wraith lord rifle together.

Can't say my scratch built valdor tank Hunter isn't legal, it totally has an Official GW© Dark Imperium ® Plastic Bit™ (the tool box on the rear).

Sprayed the trio as well, figured it would be too much if any more detail was crammed on (even if I still want fuel cans, tool boxes and extra wheels stuck on the sides)

(Lookit that tiny shovel and pick)

(Breaker bar + pry bar)

French swastikas.

And to everyones paint job posted in here;

Those're sum gooduns' boss!

Hey, as one conversion loving dude to another- your poo poo is excellent. That valdor is superb. I know how much time it takes to do those kinds of conversions and this poo poo right here is dedication :eyepop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sharkman
Dec 7, 2007
A silly mod to my air compressor set up so my regulator/moisture trap isn't just sitting around collecting dust:

It's literally just a brass nipple from Lowe's, meant to give me the clearance to screw it on. Plus, it's a much more precise air regulator than the knob on the compressor itself. Jury's still out on how well it works in practice, but it holds air without leaking, so it should be okay.

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

Are you sure I'm winning the Rumble? That does'nt seem right.....

Eh! Frank posted:

Testing out a photography setup with a couple of miniatures I painted a few years ago

And I just realized I chose two where I cheated and didn't do pupils. Still, I like the way the pictures turned out, it's a miracle what just some white-balance does to improve the quality.

edit: While I'm at it, a better picture of my demogorgon

And I love this face

Much better with white light rather than the yellow. You seem to be applying washes too thickly, and when you do that I think you'll see a great effect from going back and doing a fixing layer- you want the shadows in the recesses, not the everything. To me, I think of painting as Basecoat>Wash>Fixing>upper layer(whether highlighting, drybrushing, blending etc.), so start adding in those steps!

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
What's the best way to use Vallejo Flow Improver vs Airbrush Thinner?

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I don't touch anything but Vallejo flow improver nowadays. Literary just take that and whatever paint your using, thin it till it's the consistency of milk, and spray away

Salynne
Oct 25, 2007

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I do around 1:1:10 flow improver/thinner/paint as per the instructions on non-airbrush paints. I just eyeball it to milk though.

Sharkman
Dec 7, 2007
Does anybody know of a cheap set of either generic elves or dark elves/drow? Wanted to pick up minions for D&D. I have a set of orcs and skeletons from Wargames Factory/Warlord Games where you can build up several guys.

Is there something similar it should I just grab up something from Mantic or some other Wargame?

Meantime, progress on these gobbos.

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe
At some point I will run out of bases for my Napoleonics, and the manufacturer I've bought from has gone out of business. Anyone have a tip for where I can get 30 mm by 25 mm rectangular bases? They look like this:

Edit: sorry for the crotch photo :corrupt:

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

They're not plastic, but they're the same dimensions, since it looks like it's closer to 1.25in instead of 35mm

http://www.litko.net/products.php?product=Rectangular-Miniature-Bases%3A-1x1.25-in

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe
They look perfect. Too bad they're from Litko and I'm in the EU. :(

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Fish and Chimps posted:

At some point I will run out of bases for my Napoleonics, and the manufacturer I've bought from has gone out of business. Anyone have a tip for where I can get 30 mm by 25 mm rectangular bases? They look like this:

Find a local Makerspace with a laser cutter.

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe

Indolent Bastard posted:

Find a local Makerspace with a laser cutter.

I don't know what a Makerspace is, but I'm gonna try one of my old Warhams buddies who did laser cut MDF bases and templates at one point.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Fish and Chimps posted:

I don't know what a Makerspace is, but I'm gonna try one of my old Warhams buddies who did laser cut MDF bases and templates at one point.

A Makerspace is where a collective of people come together to use various Technologies to build stuff. Frequently you will find that they have 3D printers and laser cutters. There used to be one at the University that I attended it was great. They are all over the world if you look up the term Makerspace you'll probably find a map that will find some in your area or close by if you were in a large enough City.

Felime
Jul 10, 2009

Fish and Chimps posted:

abort: yyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

I just ate breakfast and your avatar is making me rather nauseous.

Ayn Marx
Dec 21, 2012

People painting miniatures and bases separately, do you use super glue to assemble them afterwards? How do you get a decent bond, I would imagine glue on paint isn't that strong?

Felime
Jul 10, 2009

Ayn Marx posted:

People painting miniatures and bases separately, do you use super glue to assemble them afterwards? How do you get a decent bond, I would imagine glue on paint isn't that strong?

I think generally people either pin their minis down on the base or scrape off the bottom of their man's footsies for a clean contact point.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
I painted some more Black Templars, still trying to figure out a good photo setup at my new place:

Salynne
Oct 25, 2007

Ayn Marx posted:

I just use super glue and sometimes they pop off if I didn't get enough on there, and I glue them back on.

I can't pin it very easily because the models I've done this for are necrons with wafer thin feet, so them's the breaks.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

Fish and Chimps posted:

You could always make a simple one-piece mold of some of the bases and cast your own. It's stupidly easy for something like bases, and you could make as many as you like for very little investment.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Is there some way I can dilute a paint to being translucent without decreasing the viscosity? I'm trying to give stuff a glowing effect but my paint keeps running into low points.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

The Moon Monster posted:

Is there some way I can dilute a paint to being translucent without decreasing the viscosity? I'm trying to give stuff a glowing effect but my paint keeps running into low points.
You can use glaze medium, matte medium, gloss medium, matte or gloss varnish in a pinch. You can use straight water if you don't have too much paint on your brush.

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug

The Moon Monster posted:

You just have too much paint on the brush. Using a glaze medium to get thin layers and then making sure your brush is wet but not overloaded will allow you to paint thin glaze layers to achieve the glow effect without flowing like a wash would.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib
Yeah. If you only have a very little amount of paint on the brush, it'll stay where you put it even if it's fairly diluted. I like to keep a piece of cardboard on hand to wipe off excess paint. I used to use paper towels, but that'll dry out the paint on the brush, making it too thick again.

Also, I may be a little nuts because I just rode 14 miles to pick up some Reaper MSP Walnut Brown. At least I have my favorite off-black.

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer

SRM posted:

I painted some more Black Templars, still trying to figure out a good photo setup at my new place:

Super good poo poo here.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Just finished up this guy. I got the Goff Rockers for two reasons. First is that they're friggin sweet. Second is that the Weirdboy model is hard to find and I don't like it much. So this is going to be a Weirdboy on the table.

Since the Rockers are shorter than the weirdboy model I decided I needed something for him to stand on.

I have two more I need to finish up. I'm debating if I want to keep the same style of speaker.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
Big arc of LED strip aside, what desk lamps does everyone use? In the market for something inexpensive.

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods

mango sentinel posted:

Big arc of LED strip aside, what desk lamps does everyone use? In the market for something inexpensive.

I use this, does the job pretty nicely: https://www.amazon.co.uk/TaoTronics...words=desk+lamp

Dr. Gargunza
May 19, 2011

He damned me for a eunuch,
and my mother for a whore.

Fun Shoe

Sharkman posted:

Does anybody know of a cheap set of either generic elves or dark elves/drow? Wanted to pick up minions for D&D. I have a set of orcs and skeletons from Wargames Factory/Warlord Games where you can build up several guys.

Is there something similar it should I just grab up something from Mantic or some other Wargame?

Meantime, progress on these gobbos.

I think that depends on how many elves you need. If you're doing a few distinct characters, and cheap, Reaper Bones has about a dozen designs with a particularly pointy aesthetic. (They've also got more in metal, but those are obviously a bit more expensive.)

If you're looking for more of a small army, Mantic makes troop/regiment boxes for regular elves. (Nothing on their webstore yet for "Twilight Kin," their dark-elf equivalent, so you might have to fall back on Games Workshop for that. Neither Warlord Games nor Dreamforge seem to have any dark elves on their websites, so I guess Wargames Factory never made them.)

e.: Seconding that TaoTronics lamp, I've got one and it's incredibly useful and very portable.

e2: Nice work on the goblins!

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib
Thirding the Taotronics lamp. Brought it with me on deployment. It was very handy for making a portable set-up (so long as I had an outlet available).

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

mango sentinel posted:

Two IKEA Tertial lamps with 6500k daylight lamps in.

Dr Hemulen
Jan 25, 2003

Is there some kind of magic translucent black paint I can apply to clear parts, to get at consistent look? I'm looking for kind of a tinted window / sunglasses look. I tried washes and inks, and also attempted to just airbrush a very light coat of black, but none of it really looks good.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

HardCoil posted:

Is there some kind of magic translucent black paint I can apply to clear parts, to get at consistent look? I'm looking for kind of a tinted window / sunglasses look. I tried washes and inks, and also attempted to just airbrush a very light coat of black, but none of it really looks good.

I'd say washes really are the best bet.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

HardCoil posted:

As you have an airbrush try some of the tamiya clear paints, clear smoke might be what you're after.

Dr Hemulen
Jan 25, 2003

Thanks. Clear Smoke seems like exactly what I'm looking for.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

HardCoil posted:

Thanks. Clear Smoke seems like exactly what I'm looking for.

Sweet, just be aware that as far as I recall you can't thin them with water, so you'd need some of their X-20A thinner.

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...
I've been toying with making my own Dropfleet Commander bases for a while. The game tracks a good bit of information for each ship and the stock bases are okay for that but not great. I figure it's close enough to mini painting that i might as well crossquote it here :v:

Bistromatic posted:

I had the opportunity to make another prototype today. There's a few minor tweaks that i'd like to incorporate but i'm definitely getting close to what i want.

-The dial counts damage (i know, it's a 5hp one).
-The yellow thing in the center is swappable to indicate the battlegroup.
-Spikes and other status effects will be marked with tokens that go into the slots.
-Altitude should be obvious

The whole thing is weighed and has satin underneath so it stands surprisingly stable.
Last time i noticed that it's much harder to scale down a design than to scale it up so for this round i started with a small base.

I'll do two more sizes, here are the damage rings for the larger ones as well as random experimental bits.

Aniodia
Feb 23, 2016

Literally who?

Bistromatic posted:

I've been toying with making my own Dropfleet Commander bases for a while. The game tracks a good bit of information for each ship and the stock bases are okay for that but not great. I figure it's close enough to mini painting that i might as well crossquote it here :v:

I'll do two more sizes, here are the damage rings for the larger ones as well as random experimental bits.

:wtc:

Man, I wish people in my area played Dropfleet Commander. I've seen a bunch of neat ships in this thread already, and now you've got a really neat base design there too. Like drat, you've got a kickstarter-ready idea there, if you only had the means to mass-produce those bases.

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth

Aniodia posted:

:wtc:

Man, I wish people in my area played Dropfleet Commander.

In the whole chicago area I've only seen one dude post about it on their forums. That's ok though cause it's kinda pricey and 40k just became relevant again so it's time to update that army. And I'm probablly gonna build a bunch of Romans for Adepticon. So that's my game budget for this year.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

The best thing I saw was here in this thread: car aerials for orbital layer. I think just a custom D4 with silent/normal/low/high spike would be much better than dial bases... I ended up using tokens the whole time. In fact one of the issues with the game I've found (and dicussed in the main thread) is how 'gamey' winning is - the mechanic is all around dropping paper tokens on specific other paper tokens on the board with mechanics completely divorced from the ship-to-ship combat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

bonds0097 posted:

You just have too much paint on the brush. Using a glaze medium to get thin layers and then making sure your brush is wet but not overloaded will allow you to paint thin glaze layers to achieve the glow effect without flowing like a wash would.

Electric Hobo posted:

You can use glaze medium, matte medium, gloss medium, matte or gloss varnish in a pinch. You can use straight water if you don't have too much paint on your brush.

JackMann posted:

Yeah. If you only have a very little amount of paint on the brush, it'll stay where you put it even if it's fairly diluted. I like to keep a piece of cardboard on hand to wipe off excess paint. I used to use paper towels, but that'll dry out the paint on the brush, making it too thick again.

Thanks guys, that was definitely the problem.