Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004

BirdOfPlay posted:

It's part of the "Safe Harbor" rules of DMCA. A takedown notice requires immediate action, and review would, generally, take longer than the law allows.

The law does need updating to address melicious use, but, as it stands, Steam has to follow this "take-down" procedure. If it does, it opens itself up to infringement claims as well.

Just for full disclosure, I started to write a reply to this about how the alleged infringing material has to be removed/disabled "expeditiously" not "immediately" which allows Steam time to verify the claims, but I read a little more and it's moot. As long as the claim was filed, Steam is forced to act, and it's up to the devs to file a counterclaim, which then takes at least 10 days to play out.

Cojawfee posted:

Doesn't a false DMCA takedown request come with criminal penalties? How is this Alex Mauer person able to keep submitting false requests with impunity?

It's possibly perjury, but that's hard to prove. She can also be liable for any legal fees incurred by the opposing parties, but I'm guessing a freelancer who has recently tanked her career probably doesn't have the money anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

ZearothK posted:

Actually, the Southlands (fantasy Africa) are going to be in game 2, with Tomb Kings as a likely DLC for it. Then the only core factions left will be Demons of Chaos, Chaos Dwarfs and Ogre Kingdoms, which suggests the map will go east and north. CA has permission to create new material, however, and they are releasing a final race DLC for game 1 which is not an army book faction (speculation is either Norsca or Tilea/Estalia), so I wouldn't be surprised if Kislev is a headliner for the third game along the three I mentioned. Russians buy a lot of Total Wars and they need a "normal" faction to ground the game, after all.

With how much money is in the franchise, I wouldn't be surprised if CA gets to make Nippon, Cathay, and Ind stuff. Ideally significantly less racist since there were never army books.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Just put one of the Shogun 2 armies into TW:W but make them ghosts.

Tardcore
Jan 24, 2011

Not cool enough for the Spider-man club.

Rookersh posted:

With how much money is in the franchise, I wouldn't be surprised if CA gets to make Nippon, Cathay, and Ind stuff. Ideally significantly less racist since there were never army books.

Nippon is incredibly unlikely, but Araby I'd put money on at this stage.

Tax Inductions
Jul 9, 2007

I carry refreshments to the good guys
I made the good guys some home fries
Man, I think Dead Cells has gotten a lot easier since the last time I played it - seems like there are a lot more upgrade scrolls now, I just stormed through all the hardest areas in the game and beat the watcher for the first time, with about tier 10/11 in both strength and health. They'll probably dial it back a bit unless I just got really lucky. Great game, but I think I need to put it away now so I don't get burned out before the full release.

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

I'm too busy thinkin' about my baby. Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else.
Slime TrainerS
Well, I hope Leonard French leads the way for some DMCA changes, if companies take any notice.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
http://store.steampowered.com/sub/86493/
RCR:U still seems to be up for Steam.

Oblivion4568238
Oct 10, 2012

The Inquisition.
What a show.
The Inquisition.
Here. We. Go.
College Slice
I'm just seeing a package without any items in it, buying this right now would probably end up with you getting nothing. It's just a ghost listing until this whole ordeal is over.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Xander77 posted:

Nope. It displays a "saving" message on a lot of screens, but that doesn't create an actual save you can reload, to the best of my ability to locate one. Learned that the hard way.

No it does. Like GrandpaPants said, the save/load screen is tabbed. By default it shows manual saves, but if you click on the left tab it'll show autosaves and it autosaves after every room.

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord

Cojawfee posted:

Doesn't a false DMCA takedown request come with criminal penalties? How is this Alex Mauer person able to keep submitting false requests with impunity?

Someone has to actually sue them, costing thousands to tens of thousands of dollars and very inconvenient outside your state/very difficult and more expensive outside your country. Then if you win they are unlikely to have the money to pay you back and it's difficult to enforce judgement. Against a company the costs go up 10x.

I'd really like to see someone raise the ire of Jim Sterling enough that there is actually a case about transformative work on youtube against a large company as he would be able to raise the funds to pursue it.

Carecat fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Jul 14, 2017

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I don't know if the game is any good, but Jotun is free through both Steam and GOG. They're permanent copies but can only be claimed this weekend.

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

Carecat posted:

I'd really like to see someone raise the ire of Jim Sterling enough that there is actually a case about transformative work on youtube against a large company as he would be able to raise the funds to pursue it.

Some shovelware company already tried that with him.

Catalina
May 20, 2008

deep dish peat moss posted:

Crops are pretty important! But you need everything. Banished is one of my favorite city builders, don't forget to subscribe to the Colonial Charter mod if you want a significant expansion of the base content!

Food and Firewood are generally your first two concerns and you want the food from multiple different sources, because they all produce at different times or in different seasons or at different rates. A few (2-3) crop fields (i do 9x9 or 10x10 with a single farmer), a 10x10 orchard with one farmer, a fisherman's hut on the river with 1-2 fisherman, a ~10x15 pasture with 1-2 ranchers if you started with animals, a hunter with one employee, and a gatherer's hut with 1 gatherer is generally enough to temporarily futureproofed if I remember right. Most of your early villagers and new arrivals are going to be food producers.

Also right at the start make a woodcutter and set his limit to something pretty high - Firewood is both an invaluable survival tool that you can't have too much of, and a good baseline currency for traders if you have too much because iirc every single trader will accept it. Don't forget to keep updating your storage limits for everything as you build more storage and start producing more goods.

From there on out the game is about scaling production up incrementally as your city grows. Good luck!

Damnit, this made me reinstall. Maybe I'll finally get those last two achievements! If I want to play the colonial Charter mod, which version should I be adding? In the workshop, I see a 1.71 (latest), 1.55, and 1.62 by Shockpuppet.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

That video looks pretty cool, and I think I'm going to pick up TW:W 1.

That being said, watching that game-play video makes me a bit concerned. I've never felt like I was any good at micro-managing troops in RTS games. In my head, there's a rock-paper-scissors methodology for what unit is strong or weak against, but I can never keep it straight in my head. I also end up getting focused on one part of the battlefield, while something starts going wrong on the other side. It gets disorienting when you're looking at the battlefield and trying to figure out who winning or losing, and how to best use your troops. When I was trying to play Shogun 2, I'd have to pause the game to assess what was going on and order troops around, but I've gotten the impression that's really not how you're supposed to play the game.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

This drives me loving nuts. I'd give my right arm to be the composer for those games, and I DEFINITELY have a clean track record of not bringing litigation against my clients.

C'mon, devs... You made the wrong choice, now make the right one :colbert:

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Catalina posted:

Damnit, this made me reinstall. Maybe I'll finally get those last two achievements! If I want to play the colonial Charter mod, which version should I be adding? In the workshop, I see a 1.71 (latest), 1.55, and 1.62 by Shockpuppet.

I haven't played it in a while, but the newer CC versions can get a little bloated. 1.71 has probably 10x more buildings than the base game but none of them are necessary. They're mostly alternate ways of gathering resources that don't do a whole lot mechanically, but add a lot of variety to your village. Some of them work sort of like optional difficulty toggles; they're just there to give you more complicated production chains to work with. If you're new to it I'd recommend getting used to Vanilla first, but if you're already there and want a whole lot of options for making villages look more varied or you want more complex supply chains, go ahead and get 1.71 and revel in it.

My biggest gripe with CC is that it adds tons of new resource types, but resource "categories" (like food, tools, fuel) are hard-coded, so all of the new resources need to be shoved in stockpiles with old types. This becomes a problem when you're setting your storage limits to, say, hold 1,000 fuel because you want a big stock of firewood, but different types of burnable fuel used by production buildings count toward the same storage limit. If you have excess production of a different kind of fuel, like coal, it can flood your storage and leave you short of firewood when Winter rolls around, and there's no fine control allowing you to store set amounts of specific resources. (While you can kind of work around this by storing them at trade depots, which do let you store set amounts of specific resources, they're not accessible to your villagers until you remove them from the trade depot)

This is a bad example because your people can also burn coal in the winter and I can't remember specifically what resources were frustrating me, but the best way to combat it seems to be going overboard building storage and setting limits super high. My point being, though, that later versions of CC's logistics would become a nightmare if you're not familiar with the base game.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Jul 15, 2017

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Fire Pro Wrestling World is on Early Access- there are still some glitches being ironed out and UI improvements to be made but it's basically done. If you don't know Fire Pro it's a 2.5-D wrestling sim which tends to play a lot faster than the official WWE games, while also feeling a bit more like a wrestling match with lots of back and forth without having to rely on a dedicated "reversal" button. It offers kind of an insane level of customization- graphically it's more versatile than you'd think, and you can not only decide a wrestler's moves but their AI when computer controlled, and there are noticeable differences in how everyone plays. (The main roster is a bunch of obvious stand ins for known wrestlers, but the game lets you create as many guys as you have HD space for and every file is around 7 kb.)

Obviously if you're not into wrestling games I doubt this'll be different, but I'm kinda hooked- I've long wanted to try Fire Pro after playing more WWE 2k14 than the game strictly merits.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Waffle! posted:

Some shovelware company already tried that with him.

He put a 2+ hour audio recording of a phone interview he had with one of the losers from Digital Homicide, which I actually listened to while 100%ing Steamworld Dig. The way I understood things:
1 DH files claims on Jim
2 Jim counterfiles, which puts the burden of proof on DH
3 After 2 weeks of no proof his videos go back up

At this point DH would have to sue him in real court, which they hilariously tried to do but dropped the case when it became obvious they were full of poo poo too expensive for them to pursue. But Jim also had to hire legal council and he's pretty much out that money so it's still a really destructive system ripe for abuse.

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

Slime TrainerS
Thanks for pointing out the Jotun thingy, still have to finish my shift first.

I'm pretty proud of my level 11 Light Armor/Shield using, banner-dropping, dual-wielding archer in Dungeonmans that I hope to turn into an amateur Necromancer if I don't mess up and die. She's my eighth hero. I like how you can just grab skills from whatever class.

I forget, was there a date mentioned for the new Steam UI stuff?

Catalina
May 20, 2008

deep dish peat moss posted:

I haven't played it in a while, but the newer CC versions can get a little bloated. 1.71 has probably 10x more buildings than the base game but none of them are necessary. They're mostly alternate ways of gathering resources that don't do a whole lot mechanically, but add a lot of variety to your village. Some of them work sort of like optional difficulty toggles; they're just there to give you more complicated production chains to work with. If you're new to it I'd recommend getting used to Vanilla first, but if you're already there and want a whole lot of options for making villages look more varied or you want more complex supply chains, go ahead and get 1.71 and revel in it.

My biggest gripe with CC is that it adds tons of new resource types, but resource "categories" (like food, tools, fuel) are hard-coded, so all of the new resources need to be shoved in stockpiles with old types. This becomes a problem when you're setting your storage limits to, say, hold 1,000 fuel because you want a big stock of firewood, but different types of burnable fuel used by production buildings count toward the same storage limit. If you have excess production of a different kind of fuel, like coal, it can flood your storage and leave you short of firewood when Winter rolls around, and there's no fine control allowing you to store set amounts of specific resources. (While you can kind of work around this by storing them at trade depots, which do let you store set amounts of specific resources, they're not accessible to your villagers until you remove them from the trade depot)

This is a bad example because your people can also burn coal in the winter and I can't remember specifically what resources were frustrating me, but the best way to combat it seems to be going overboard building storage and setting limits super high. My point being, though, that later versions of CC's logistics would become a nightmare if you're not familiar with the base game.

Thank you! I have 200 hours in Banished so no worries on understanding the basic mechanics. Might as well go with the latest version. I can refer to the wiki and forum to help me out.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.
In non RCR news, Ys 7 is headed to Steam

http://www.siliconera.com/2017/07/14/ys-seven-headed-steam-summer-new-pc-port-xseed-games/

This isn't a port of the old PC version, by the way

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Holy poo poo, you can be the worst loving lawyer in Aviary Attorney. If only the game had proper saves and a skip button, I'd give a 9/10 easily.

Sivek
Nov 12, 2012

Willo567 posted:

http://www.siliconera.com/2017/07/14/ys-seven-headed-steam-summer-new-pc-port-xseed-games/

Hopefully this means Celceta will get a pc release, too.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name

Willo567 posted:

:bisonyes:

What Ys games will be missing from Steam after 7 and 8 launch? That infamous sidescrolling sequel?

^^^
Oh, right. Celceta.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
I found Celceta much worse than Oath or Origins, dunno if PC is missing much.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name
It was good. I think it would really benefit from 60fps and a non-blurry image. Vita really struggled with that game at times.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Jamfrost posted:

I forget, was there a date mentioned for the new Steam UI stuff?

Sometime this Fall, I believe.

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

The length of the thread has nothing to do with the speed it loads at.

literally untrue, since ~50% of the size of the html file for a single page of this thread is spent detailing the two selection drop-downs

e;f,b

Operation Babel: New Tokyo Legacy is an enjoyable JRPG dungeon crawler with some :raise:-worthy achievement icon design choices.

Zetsubou-san fucked around with this message at 08:21 on Jul 15, 2017

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

Slime TrainerS
That's pretty good.
-

Cross-Section posted:

Sometime this Fall, I believe.

Quite a ways away then.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

the king has returned

http://store.steampowered.com/app/645630/Car_Mechanic_Simulator_2018/

Nuramor
Dec 13, 2012

Most Amewsing Prinny Ever!
So, has anyone gotten their apology game from Paradox yet?

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Nuramor posted:

So, has anyone gotten their apology game from Paradox yet?

No, they're coming in September.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

People keep saying good things about Total Warhammer, I might pick it up despite not knowing anything about the universe.

I do prefer historical settings though, which of the Total War games is considered the best one (preferably not too old)?

Hollenhammer
Dec 6, 2005

Phlegmish posted:

People keep saying good things about Total Warhammer, I might pick it up despite not knowing anything about the universe.

I do prefer historical settings though, which of the Total War games is considered the best one (preferably not too old)?

The total war thread has a good rundown of all the other games. I think this is the most recent thread https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3490183&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Phlegmish posted:

People loved Shogun 2, I gotta admit something felt off about it to me and I'm not really sure what. Rome 2 I had a lot of fun with but people in general complained about it a lot, and Atilla felt bland despite apparently having a lot of Quality of Live improvements.

I'm really just waiting for them to bring back the family tree system from Medieval 2, God I loved that thing and it would have made Rome far better (their politics system sucked). Except please let me pick my own heirs so I don't have to keep sending the random drunken rear end in a top hat who got assigned the new King into battle by himself until the RNG picks the right guy. Though now that I think about it, maybe that's working as intended.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
I've tried to go back to earlier Total War games (specifically my previous favourite, Fall of the Samurai and the now-ancient Alexander Total War) and they don't hold a candle to Total Warhammer. If you like that series at all, you should absolutely give it a shot.

I'm a big history buff as well, so you'd think that would make me go for the earlier, more historical games, but in reality Total War games were always more about plundering history for the coolest poo poo they could even half-reasonably fit into the time period (sure, random Japanese civil war leader, we'll lend you the Royal Marines and HMS Warrior for your infighting, why not?) and Warhammer has more of that kind of stuff than any other Total War game.

It also has flying units, which are cool, and monster units like giants and dragons that are pretty fun too.

Oh, and the battle load times are much faster than previous games.

Just get it ok

Gort fucked around with this message at 11:42 on Jul 15, 2017

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Terminally Bored posted:

:bisonyes:

What Ys games will be missing from Steam after 7 and 8 launch? That infamous sidescrolling sequel?

^^^
Oh, right. Celceta.

Celceta and V are the only Ys games not on Steam at this point. The sidescroller you were thinking about got remade as a more traditional Ys game in Oath in Felghana (Ys III) which is already on Steam. If Seven does well, Celceta is probably next. As for V, that's the only Ys game Falcom have yet to remake but it'll probably happen in the next few years.

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

Slime TrainerS

Gort posted:

How are the turn times?

Nuramor
Dec 13, 2012

Most Amewsing Prinny Ever!

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

No, they're coming in September.

You have time to apply until august. How do I know my application went through correctly?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Gort posted:

I've tried to go back to earlier Total War games (specifically my previous favourite, Fall of the Samurai and the now-ancient Alexander Total War) and they don't hold a candle to Total Warhammer. If you like that series at all, you should absolutely give it a shot.

I'm a big history buff as well, so you'd think that would make me go for the earlier, more historical games, but in reality Total War games were always more about plundering history for the coolest poo poo they could even half-reasonably fit into the time period (sure, random Japanese civil war leader, we'll lend you the Royal Marines and HMS Warrior for your infighting, why not?) and Warhammer has more of that kind of stuff than any other Total War game.

It also has flying units, which are cool, and monster units like giants and dragons that are pretty fun too.

Just get it ok

Okay, you've convinced me (though ranged flying units is not a plus for me)...as soon as it's on sale. €60 :eyepop:

e: looks like there's a new one coming out too

e2: is there a Dragon's Dogma thread?

Phlegmish fucked around with this message at 12:36 on Jul 15, 2017

• Locked thread