Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Someone said early that media could be traced to comunication and if so she could be traced to early times. She is one of my favorite characters an i hope we see more of Gillian. Techno boy is baad and he is going to be the first to die imo.

Soothing Vapors posted:

He's the god of war, wisdom, poetry, and a bunch of other poo poo. He's also the chief god of the Norse pantheon, but that appears to mean very little in America given his level of power.

I think you are correct, the old good actually get poo poo done but no one believes in them anymore so they cant do much. If they make people believe in them i think it will recharge them an poo poo will go down!!!

DoctorGonzo fucked around with this message at 13:06 on Jul 5, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

How's Shadow going to feel about the only people giving Odin his power being neo-Nazis though? I mean, who else even still believes in Norse mythology?

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Jeoh posted:

How's Shadow going to feel about the only people giving Odin his power being neo-Nazis though? I mean, who else even still believes in Norse mythology?

Probably the same way he felt any other day of his life.

I mean, who even still worships Anansi in America? See what I mean?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Jeoh posted:

I have no idea how their numbers compare to neo nazis, but there are modern day odinists out there who are progressive.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Mad Sweeney was the best S1 character.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
There are people today who unironically believe in a lot of ancient religions. I doubt Odin would have trouble finding enough people to keep existing.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
By population size (not percentage), it's probably close to his peak.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Cojawfee posted:

There are people today who unironically believe in a lot of ancient religions. I doubt Odin would have trouble finding enough people to keep existing.

Definitely

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heathenry_(new_religious_movement)

Hakkesshu fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Jul 5, 2017

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Are we going to get Yahweh eventually? He would have the power to undo the universe according to the relative power levels of these Gods right?

Maybe spoiler if this is in a book or whatever.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Yahweh is too powerful to care about these petty squabbles. That's not a book spoiler, but I think Gaiman said something to that effect in an interview at some point.

e: and while there are certainly many Jews in America, Jesus is the one getting all the publicity over here for the most part.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, I made a post earlier about how the God of Abraham has no reason to get remotely involved in the war between new and old American gods. With all Jewish, Christian, and Muslim people worshipping him, he's not threatened at all by any of the other gods.

ThNextGreenLantern
Feb 13, 2012
I loved Media Bowie chiding Technical Boy for "beating up the wrong guy" (Among all of the other lyrical call outs). This is the freakiest show.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

ThNextGreenLantern posted:

I loved Media Bowie chiding Technical Boy for "beating up the wrong guy" (Among all of the other lyrical call outs). This is the freakiest show.

And yet some say it's a saddening bore :shrug:

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Mierenneuker posted:

And yet some say it's a saddening bore :shrug:

That's fine.

This is how art has always been.

There are people who think classical music, like Chaikovsky, Dvorak, Mozart, etc are horribly boring. That's just how it is.

try the new taco place
Jan 4, 2004

hey mister... can u play drums while I sing and play plastic guitar???

Snak posted:

That's fine.

This is how art has always been.

There are people who think classical music, like Chaikovsky, Dvorak, Mozart, etc are horribly boring. That's just how it is.

wooooooooooooooooooosh

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
:doh:

Give me a break, it's 2:30am...

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

biracial bear for uncut posted:

Probably the same way he felt any other day of his life.

I mean, who even still worships Anansi in America? See what I mean?

I dunno about America but Anansi tales are still told here by descendants of West African slaves, especially at funerals. :shobon:

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Jeoh posted:

I dunno about America but Anansi tales are still told here by descendants of West African slaves, especially at funerals. :shobon:

I'm a white dude from the southern US. I can't say Anansi is as popular as Zeus or Thor or that poo poo among my demo, but I'd heard of Anansi long before reading the book.

Also if you take Br'er Rabbit as an Anansi-alogue then he's getting some fat worship in from Disney's Splash Mountain. I sure as hell loved that ride.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

In grade school we went to see a puppet show about Anansi in the local theater. It was by white people for white people (I guess), so I have no idea how that came to happen but little me digged it.

It was somewhat less violent than the show though. I believe it mainly involved Anansi tricking other, dumb animals. It was like an African version of Reynard the Fox.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Jeoh posted:

The point I was making is that just because you hadn't heard of them doesn't mean they aren't out there.

I know Anansi actually still has a pretty decent-sized following, he just doesn't get the publicity. Same deal with progressive norse Aesir worshippers.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

What exactly is progressive about practicing an Iron Age religion whose modern resurrection happened in the 19th century?

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

McSpanky posted:

What exactly is progressive about practicing an Iron Age religion whose modern resurrection happened in the 19th century?

Politically progressive, not religiously.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Mierenneuker posted:

In grade school we went to see a puppet show about Anansi in the local theater. It was by white people for white people (I guess), so I have no idea how that came to happen but little me digged it.

It was somewhat less violent than the show though. I believe it mainly involved Anansi tricking other, dumb animals. It was like an African version of Reynard the Fox.

that's kind of what gaiman's book anansi boys has - the main plot is a modern setting, but there's lots of little folklore vignettes of how Anansi tricks Tiger or Rabbit or some other animal for shits and giggles.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

DoctorGonzo posted:

Someone said early that media could be traced to comunication and if so she could be traced to early times.

That's not how Gaiman-ish gods tend to work (aside from the Endless, who are in a different series entirely and operate on very different rules).

In her TV show incarnation, Media (mostly) is an agglomeration of celebrity-worship. Buying every copy of a gossip mag as soon as it comes out is a sacrifice of money to Media - minuscule, but in enormous amounts, as potent as a live sacrifice. Watching the same news channel, every day, at the same time. People who wait in line for hours for a midnight movie release.

Likewise, the Technical Boy isn't just powered by 'technology'. He's powered by people who youtube-subscribe, who get into Apple vs Google flamewars, by futurists who think Uber and Elon Musk and AirBnB are the future.

It's all about ritual and sacrifice. Human life (and god life, I suppose) is most potent, but money works, food works if it's something like a leprechaun just getting by, and even time works if enough people are giving it up.

Vulcan doesn't get powered up by any old gunfire - he gets powered up by guns and bullets that have his name on it. Presumably there's a little bit of a difference between the old gods, who have personalities and names separate from their portfolio, and the new ones, who are Media and Technology and NWO and are nothing else.

I don't expect the show to go into any of this too much though, because it's pointless nerd mystic bullshit semi-based on the book, but it seems reasonable.

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Creator of Watchmen Alan Moore worships the Roman snake god Glycon.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
So I just finished teh show and I liked it

I didn't get what the tree monster in the police building was though, I think I missed the dialogue for it. What the heck was up with that

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Zzulu posted:

I didn't get what the tree monster in the police building was though, I think I missed the dialogue for it. What the heck was up with that

It wasn't really explained, as far as I'm aware, and instead was meant to serve as a message than there are more than just humanoid, sentient and conversive gods among the supernatural out there.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
It was explained in literally the next episode

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007
Look, Bernard. Bernard, look. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Bernard! Bernard. Bernard. Look, Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard! Look! Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Look, Bernard! Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Bern

GonSmithe posted:

It was explained in literally the next episode

I didn't get much more than "that was Mr Wood" out of it.

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

Jeoh posted:

you haven't lived till you've held a blot in honor of the hanged god

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

zeal posted:

you haven't lived till you've held a blot in honor of the hanged god

My best CK2 game saw Ragnar Ragnarsson take over all of Europe and reform Norse paganism, eventually sacrificing the Pope to the old gods. It had been quite the Holy War: many a nobles' daughter joined the Pope at the months-long festival which ended with around 50 executions.
:black101:

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Zzulu posted:

It was Mr. Wood, an old primordial god who has allied itself to the New Gods

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

achillesforever6 posted:

It was Mr. Wood, an old primordial god who has allied itself to the New Gods

Because he's had a resurgence in power thanks to Pfizer.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Medullah posted:

Because he's had a resurgence in power thanks to Pfizer.

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

"What are you god of?"

"Wood."

"Trees are everywhere."

"Wood."

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

My best CK2 game saw Ragnar Ragnarsson take over all of Europe and reform Norse paganism, eventually sacrificing the Pope to the old gods. It had been quite the Holy War: many a nobles' daughter joined the Pope at the months-long festival which ended with around 50 executions.
:black101:

no, i mean hold an actual blot. paint the ansuz on your forehead in your own blood and make offerings to the hanged god under the moon. you won't be disappointed

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
The one thing in this show that really creeped me out was Laura's exchange with Anubis:

Anubis: "... there will be darkness."

Laura: "will there be peace?"

Anubis: "There will be darkness."

Darkness but no peace. It implied to me that Laura would be spending eternity trapped in the equivalent of a sensory deprivation tank, completely isolated except for her own thoughts and regrets. Can't blame her for being reluctant to go for that option.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Pistol_Pete posted:

The one thing in this show that really creeped me out was Laura's exchange with Anubis:

Darkness but no peace. It implied to me that Laura would be spending eternity trapped in the equivalent of a sensory deprivation tank, completely isolated except for her own thoughts and regrets. Can't blame her for being reluctant to go for that option.

Yeah that's the creepy vibe I got from it as well. I didn't get the feeling that she'd be annihilated, destroyed or cease to exist either.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

That's optimistic.

Darkness + torment also meets the criteria. The only thing we know is that it is heavily implied it doesn't include peace.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Pistol_Pete posted:

Locked-in Syndrome is basically everyone's worst nightmare about death: that we will be eternally aware of the absence of everything.