Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Gathered as much. :cheeky:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
I've made it to the second episode of swordboys and diveboys, both are holding my interest so far.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
Also giving my props and recommendation for Galko-chan, it's very good and like Endorph said, it's refreshing how frank the series is about topics most manga/anime won't touch because bodies are icky. But they address this and it's very charming how it does so.

I've read the dating a Gyaru manga, it's like if Galko was dating the lame sauce protag, except she'd have way more self respect and dump him right away. Or not start dating him at all to begin with.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Check out the Galko manga if you can, it has some pretty cool coloring.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
First eps of Princess Principal and Tsurezure Children are good!

PP I had like no expectations for from season charts, but it really nailed the aesthetic it was going for and didn't ruin the necessary seriousness of a good spy story with the moe. I like moe, but it often makes things silly - which I guess it did here, what with schoolgirl spies talking about spy things while having a tea party on the lawn of their exclusive rich girls' school and the ninja and the lies lies lies, but not in a way that compromised the heart of it. I dug how oppressive and miserable they made the city feel with really just a few scenes.

I've read a good amount of the Tzurezure manga, but it's been long enough that it's decently fresh. It's funny and cute and half eps don't wear out their welcome.

Probably going to stick with both of these, too. Season's getting full.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
whats gay this season

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

DisDisDis posted:

whats gay this season

Centaur's Worries.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Brainamp posted:

Centaur's Worries.
I wonder if the centaur from Fate/Apocrypha is also gay.

Astro Ambulance
Dec 25, 2008

new game continues to be very gay

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Cat and Princess thing is lovely Flash animation but could almost be watchable if it wasn't for Crunchyroll loving up the subtitle styling.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
for ladygay, I'd like to say Kakegurui, but I've been told it doesn't actually do the drat thing

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

depends who you're expecting it with

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

DisDisDis posted:

whats gay this season

Dive!! , Hitorijime My Hero, and NTR.

But I found the first episode of My Hero really bad to be honest. No opinion on the other two.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

DisDisDis posted:

whats gay this season

ur posts

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
Hina Logi,, Symphogeah

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Having watched one episode of Kakegurui, it seems like a show really hampered by being (yet another) anime set in a highschool. It's premise is just dumb and would have been much better suited by being set in the world of professional gamblers or a fight club style thing of ordinary salary people.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Nitrousoxide posted:

Having watched one episode of Kakegurui, it seems like a show really hampered by being (yet another) anime set in a highschool. It's premise is just dumb and would have been much better suited by being set in the world of professional gamblers or a fight club style thing of ordinary salary people.

We already had that. It's called Kaiji. The whole point of Kakegurui is to take that kind of story, turn up the camp to maximum, and make all the characters sexily terrifying schoolgirls. Like, that is its biggest selling point as a show.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Eh, maybe this show isn't for me because my eyes practically rolled out of my head watching the first episode.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Nitrousoxide posted:

Eh, maybe this show isn't for me because my eyes practically rolled out of my head watching the first episode.
this is the lamest catchphrase that explains literally nothing about why you didn't like a show other than 'i decided not to like it'

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I love Kakegurui for its camp, but I can totally understand people who aren't into it. The show is aggressively unsubtle so far (I decided to abstain reading ahead on the manga, though I did read the first chapter before starting with the anime). Hell, it's the reason that in my previous goofy posts, I associated it with a tune by Buffalo's own Every Time I Die and their song "The Coin Has a Say". But I can't help but being mesmerized by it. It looks like a labor of love from a crew that knows what the story is about : A girl who wants to have some fun gambling against a bunch of weirdo posers. Yumeko is crazier than a shithouse rat and Saori Hayami has done an AMAZING job to demonstrate it as much through her voice work, and while I'm guessing that the anime is going to have either a "Buy the manga to know more" ending or end in a cliffhanger until a second season gets approved, so far I'm enjoying myself. Next episode airs in a couple of hours, so fingers crossed that the crazy ride continues and this is a keeper.

Wark Say fucked around with this message at 14:01 on Jul 15, 2017

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.
Found myself watching what's available for Tsurezure Children. It's silly and cute

I might watch Gamers! later this weekend

e: "even King Koopa talks to me politely."

Okay Gamers! is a good show

Alfalfa The Roach fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Jul 15, 2017

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Fact #1 The Moon is really cool

Insurrectionist posted:

Centaur's Worries first ep had kinda bleh animation, or rather it had a few instances of quite nice animation and then more instances of bad animation, and the former kind of made the latter stand out extra hard. For an adaption it was pretty straight-forward which is both good and bad, doesn't seem like it'll mess up anything but the source material could have used something with a little more style. Granted the first two chapters of the manga aren't exactly amazing works of art in the first place so the cutesy opening parts and such can't be blamed on the anime. But I was kinda disappointed that the opening was only 10% badass monster history and 90% schlocky run-of-the-mill cute girls show. Guess I kinda feel like the show overemphasized a 'cute' aesthetic, which I didn't feel the manga did, but maybe I'm just mostly remembering the latter chapters. I thought it was okay, definitely have hopes that the show will improve though.

I watched the first episode of this last night and was not prepared for the weird tonal dissonance between "cute school girl show but they're monsters" and "weird big brother government that seems way into equality which doesn't seem bad to me?" I really have no idea what the hell this show is.

On the other hand, the one about the planar traveling restaurant and New Game are fun.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Kakegurui is a completely different breed of gambling show than Kaiji. it's more like a detective series where the mc is solving/"solving" rigged games instead of mysteries.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
The way you write about it, you make it sound like it's less a Fancy Kaiji and more like a more mundane Nogami Neuro: Supernatural Detective. Which is totally my jam.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

Julias posted:

But I found the first episode of My Hero really bad to be honest. No opinion on the other two.

why

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Wark Say posted:

The way you write about it, you make it sound like it's less a Fancy Kaiji and more like a more mundane Nogami Neuro: Supernatural Detective. Which is totally my jam.

even with Kakegurui having a lack of the supernatural, a lot of how Yumeko is presented in the heat of a gamble feels supernatural. her nerves of steel, glowing red eyes, twisted enjoyment of high stakes, etc

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

The deaf girl anime is pretty hard to watch some times

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
OK, 3rd episode of Kakegurui sold me. I'm all in.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Bad animation, lame jokes, and the characters felt really boring to me. The only bit I really liked was the younger brother being a spaz with his goofy, exaggerated faces.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
I was wondering if the animation was going to be it, bl shows are kinda notoriously lovely looking.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
I've been reading the Kakegarui manga, it's fun and ridiculous. Should watch the eps out so far, but from the looks of it, it's about what I expected.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
I just finished episode 3 and yeah it's wild, I'll probably jump on the manga soon.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Endorph posted:

gyaruko is a cool manga that is pretty frank about sex and periods and stuff in a way that is really refreshing, especially for an anime

Seitokai Yakuindomo has been doing that for a while, and High School Girls did it at least a decade ago.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
goofy sex jokes is a bit different from teen girls hanging out and talking about the differences between pads and tampons

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Paracelsus posted:

Seitokai Yakuindomo has been doing that for a while, and High School Girls did it at least a decade ago.

my impression of SYD is that it's the kind of show that thinks a cucumber being equated to a dick is hilarious, but doesn't go much deeper than that. Galko is refreshing because it's a group of girls talking about puberty and their bodies honestly, where comedy is generated from exaggerations of that and the characters (usually male) having totally incorrect assumptions about those things.

no idea how High School Girls addresses the topics though.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Paracelsus posted:

It's mostly the tone. Gyaruko is all about "More than it meets the eye". Like how despite almost everyone being called by their archetype, almost everyone seems to have something going on inside their heads that makes them fully realized people. Also, I'm fairly certain that the two mains, Gyaruko and Otako, were voiced by actual teens, and in some works you notice it really well (Code Geass, Barakamon, Eden of the East, Sweetness and Lightning to name some examples).

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

dogsicle posted:

no idea how High School Girls addresses the topics though.
It gets points for sometimes trying a similar approach like Gyaruko. But they play other tropes painfully (and unfunny-ly) straight.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
Syd doesn't treat its characters like they're gross for talking about stuff frankly, or being pervs generally, but it's only interested in making jokes.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

SYD also has Hata, who is a perfect being.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Trip Report: my wife and I usually don't watch the same anime comedies as our tastes in humor are polar opposites, but after watching a few episodes of Galko-chan together it was she who pushed to watch more and finish the series in one night. I got some good chuckles out of the show as well.

10/10, thanks for the date night goons :thumbsup:

• Locked thread