Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Geektox posted:

We already played a lot of Keep Talking and it's a good rec! I wish they'd come out with some more manuals because we've gotten to the point where we can kinda just guess at what to do even without the manual.

I love EDF but it's not really what I'm looking for. We also have already deployed many times to save our mother Earth from any alien attack.

I think I want the "different objectives" bit more than the "different people".

Should also mention I'm looking for PC games to be played online as well.

This looks extremely cheesy and I will try and report back.

Payday 2 (if attempting stealth instead of police clicking) usually requires a degree of people simultaneously pursuing different objectives.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I do not recommend engaging with the stealth mechanics in Payday 2. They are jank as gently caress and not fun at all, coming from someone who loves stealth games in all their forms.

hampig
Feb 11, 2004
...curioser and curioser...
Anyone know of any fun action RPGs that natively support controllers?

So far my list is:
Victor Vran
Buy a PS4 and Diablo 3

Also, can anyone recommend any 3D games that are fun to explore with well-constructed worlds that might have gone under my radar?

On my to-do list are:
Prey
NieR: Automata

I've played and liked:
All the Dark Souls games
TES games, Fallout games
Witcher gamess
Deus Ex, and HR
Arkham Asylum and City

Played and were ok/didn't finish:
Shadow of Mordor
Kingdoms of Amalur
Assassin's Creed

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
Dying Light:The Following is my current fave open world game

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

hampig posted:

So far my list is:
Victor Vran
Buy a PS4 and Diablo 3

Also, can anyone recommend any 3D games that are fun to explore with well-constructed worlds that might have gone under my radar?

On my to-do list are:
Prey

I've played and liked:
All the Dark Souls games
TES games, Fallout games
Witcher gamess
Deus Ex, and HR
Arkham Asylum and City

Shadow of Mordor
Kingdoms of Amalur
Assassin's Creed

After you buy a PS4, check out Bloodborne.

Also I think Path of Exile is offering controller support soon

Kromlech
Jun 28, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
Dear op, check out

1. Ultima Underworld

2. Realms of the Haunting

(posting from 2009)

Flinger
Oct 16, 2012

Geektox posted:

Are there any good asynchronous co-op games, I'm thinking stuff like parts of Perfect Dark Zero's co-op where you play as two completely people doing completely different stuff instead of just two identical people trying to accomplish identical objectives. Satellite Reign was pretty good for this but I'm wondering if there are any others.

It's been years since I played it with my friend but I think Splinter Cell Chaos Theory would work here

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

hampig posted:

So far my list is:
Victor Vran
Buy a PS4 and Diablo 3

On my to-do list are:
Prey

I've played and liked:
All the Dark Souls games
TES games, Fallout games
Witcher gamess
Deus Ex, and HR
Arkham Asylum and City

Not an 'action' RPG, but I'm pretty sure Divinity: Original Sin supports controllers.

Purple Monkey
May 5, 2014

:phone:Hello

hampig posted:

So far my list is:
Victor Vran
Buy a PS4 and Diablo 3

On my to-do list are:
Prey

I've played and liked:
All the Dark Souls games
TES games, Fallout games
Witcher gamess
Deus Ex, and HR
Arkham Asylum and City

Shadow of Mordor
Kingdoms of Amalur
Assassin's Creed

Is that just the original Assassin's Creed? Because a bunch of its sequels are way better than the first one

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

hampig posted:

So far my list is:
Victor Vran
Buy a PS4 and Diablo 3

On my to-do list are:
Prey

I've played and liked:
All the Dark Souls games
TES games, Fallout games
Witcher gamess
Deus Ex, and HR
Arkham Asylum and City

Shadow of Mordor
Kingdoms of Amalur
Assassin's Creed

I'll assume you just didn't list the Far Cry series, but 3, 4, Blood Dragon, and Primal are all good open worlds (with mediocre to decent stories).

Edit: If you can tolerate jank, Deadly Premonition? You'll need to install DPFix to get it to run on PC though.
Edit Edit: I'll just complete the list of 3D Open World Games I've Played and Liked:

Bully
GTA 3-5 (with preference for San Andreas)
Dragon's Dogma
Dying Light
Just Cause 2
Mad Max
Miasmata
STALKER
Sleeping Dogs
Subnautica
Vampire the Masquerade Bloodlines
Watch Dogs 2

Maybes (depending on your definition of open)
Dead Rising 1-3 (with 2/Off the Record being the best)
Fable 1-3 (with 1 on PC being okay, 2 on 360 being the best, don't buy 3)
Hitman (Blood Money or the new one)
Pathologic (3D and open but survival horror, not an RPG)
The Void (3D and open but survival horror, not an RPG)
Mass Effect

Cantorsdust fucked around with this message at 13:26 on Jul 8, 2017

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

hampig posted:

I've played and liked:
Deus Ex, and HR
Dishonored is pretty much a weird steampunk/fantasy version of Deus Ex; pretty open-ended map design with loads of little nooks and crannies to snoop through, to discover goodies or cool lore tidbits.

hampig
Feb 11, 2004

Purple Monkey posted:

Is that just the original Assassin's Creed? Because a bunch of its sequels are way better than the first one
Yeah just the first one, I think i've got a couple of others in my steam list i'll give them a go.

Cantorsdust posted:

I'll assume you just didn't list the Far Cry series, but 3, 4, Blood Dragon, and Primal are all good open worlds (with mediocre to decent stories).
Oh thanks for the list, I haven't played any Far Cry game and I haven't heard of a bunch of the others.

Nordick posted:

Dishonored is pretty much a weird steampunk/fantasy version of Deus Ex; pretty open-ended map design with loads of little nooks and crannies to snoop through, to discover goodies or cool lore tidbits.
This one I did just forget to list though, number 2 is on my list too, thanks!

Phlegmish posted:

Not an 'action' RPG, but I'm pretty sure Divinity: Original Sin supports controllers.
I think this definitely requires a little more patience, for now I just really feel like exploding a screen full of monsters :)

hampig fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Jul 9, 2017

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

hampig posted:

So far my list is:
Victor Vran
Buy a PS4 and Diablo 3

Path of Exile is about to release on Xbox One.

Depends on what you mean by well-constructed. Horizon Zero Dawn plays a bit more like the ones you didn't like but has a much more interesting setting.

hampig
Feb 11, 2004

Tom Clancy is Dead posted:

Path of Exile is about to release on Xbox One.

Depends on what you mean by well-constructed. Horizon Zero Dawn plays a bit more like the ones you didn't like but has a much more interesting setting.

Thanks for the tip. It was mostly the stories that didn't grab me in the ones I didn't like, I thought Shadow of Mordor and KoA both had pretty fun combat actually, so Horizon Zero Dawn sounds like maybe one to check out.

Purple Monkey
May 5, 2014

hampig posted:

Yeah just the first one, I think i've got a couple of others in my steam list i'll give them a go.

2, Brotherhood, Black Flag and possibly Syndicate (haven't played it myself but hear good things) are the good ones I'd honestly suggest skipping the rest unless you end up really really liking Assassin's Creed

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
Hey dudes, what's a really good old-school first-person four-person-party turn-based dungeon crawler a la Wizardry, Dungeon Master, Eye of the Beholder, etc. that I can play on my Android? I've already played through Legend of Grimrock and that was pretty swell, but I'm really looking for something specifically turn-based. Also: not free. Microtransactions and the mobile game standards are infuriating to me. I don't want to juggle "energy" or "fuel" or "torch light" or whatever the gently caress, I don't want a ten thousand gold bonus for logging in two days in a row, and I don't want to tell all my friends about my game. I just want to play a game as though it were a game and didn't feel like a scam.

Edit to add: Also one that has a story.

credburn fucked around with this message at 12:10 on Jul 12, 2017

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

credburn posted:

Hey dudes, what's a really good old-school first-person four-person-party turn-based dungeon crawler a la Wizardry, Dungeon Master, Eye of the Beholder, etc. that I can play on my Android? I've already played through Legend of Grimrock and that was pretty swell, but I'm really looking for something specifically turn-based. Also: not free. Microtransactions and the mobile game standards are infuriating to me. I don't want to juggle "energy" or "fuel" or "torch light" or whatever the gently caress, I don't want a ten thousand gold bonus for logging in two days in a row, and I don't want to tell all my friends about my game. I just want to play a game as though it were a game and didn't feel like a scam.

Siralim 2 isn't first-person but it might...fit your criteria?

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

credburn posted:

Edit to add: Also one that has a story.

I've read a few times that "The Quest" exactly fits your bill and is good (e: not four-person-party though)

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

I've read a few times that "The Quest" exactly fits your bill and is good (e: not four-person-party though)

The Quest is good. Think Elder Scroll meets Wizardry.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
Thanks, guys. I saw The Quest, but it looked dubious. And I think I had Siralim at some point, but had deleted it before playing it? Must find out. You guys are the best. To the dungeon!

basalt
Jan 11, 2015

This is an odd one (and I do apologise for constantly asking for suggestions here), but does anybody know of any games that use pixel art in interesting ways? My favourite use of pixel art is definitely in Superbrothers: Sword and Sworcery EP and MOCT, but I'm also very fond of the art in Rain World, Children of Morta, and to a lesser extent, Hyper Light Drifter. I'm also aware of Domina and Crawl, but the former isn't my preferred genre and the latter is limited to local co-op.

While the games are all quite visually distinct, one thing they seem to have in common is a messy, borderless style that evokes a more rugged, organic feeling. I particularly love the illusion of texture achieved with such a limited colour palette in SB:S&S. Whatever it is, it really works for me, and I want more of it.

Also welcome are suggestions for games with an unusual aesthetic direction in general, like the lush collages in Samorost, or the detailed dioramas of Kentucky Route Zero and EMPORIUM.

basalt fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Jul 15, 2017

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

basalt posted:

Also welcome are suggestions for games with unusual aesthetic direction in general, like the lush collages in Samorost, or the detailed dioramas of Kentucky Route Zero and EMPORIUM.

Limbo
INSIDE
Night in the Woods

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I would second NITW, it's probably the best narrative-driven indie offering of this year. Not a whole lot of gameplay though, the story is mostly told through dialogue and light platforming.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

basalt posted:

This is an odd one (and I do apologise for constantly asking for suggestions here), but does anybody know of any games that use pixel art in interesting ways? My favourite use of pixel art is definitely in Superbrothers: Sword and Sworcery EP and MOCT, but I'm also very fond of the art in Rain World, Children of Morta, and to a lesser extent, Hyper Light Drifter. I'm also aware of Domina and Crawl, but the former isn't my preferred genre and the latter is limited to local co-op.

While the games are all quite visually distinct, one thing they seem to have in common is a messy, borderless style that evokes a more rugged, organic feeling. I particularly love the illusion of texture achieved with such a limited colour palette in Sword and Sworcery. Whatever it is, it really works for me, and I want more of it.

Also welcome are suggestions for games with unusual aesthetic direction in general, like the lush collages in Samorost, or the detailed dioramas of Kentucky Route Zero and EMPORIUM.

Tokyo 42 has a very unique style

basalt
Jan 11, 2015

I've actually played all of those. They're apt suggestions, though!

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Invisible, Inc. and Papers, Please have pretty unique visual styles too.

DOUBLE CLICK HERE
Feb 5, 2005
WA3
Catacombs of Solaris

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Dungeon of the Endless is an online co-op tower defense/ roguelike hybrid with great pixel graphics.

Risk of Rain is a pixel sidescrolling action game with roguelike elements, also online co-op.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Cantorsdust posted:

Edit: If you can tolerate jank, Deadly Premonition? You'll need to install DPFix to get it to run on PC though.
Edit Edit: I'll just complete the list of 3D Open World Games I've Played and Liked:

Bully
GTA 3-5 (with preference for San Andreas)
Dragon's Dogma
Dying Light
Just Cause 2
Mad Max
Miasmata
STALKER
Sleeping Dogs
Subnautica
Vampire the Masquerade Bloodlines
Watch Dogs 2

Maybes (depending on your definition of open)
Dead Rising 1-3 (with 2/Off the Record being the best)
Fable 1-3 (with 1 on PC being okay, 2 on 360 being the best, don't buy 3)
Hitman (Blood Money or the new one)
Pathologic (3D and open but survival horror, not an RPG)
The Void (3D and open but survival horror, not an RPG)
Mass Effect

This is really comprehensive list of Open world games or RPG like games that are 3D and not indie/2d.

I would also recommend Dragon Age Origins which is infinitely better than any of Bioware's latter games. Dragon Age 2 and Inquisition are only on Origins. I heard Inquisition is not bad but never played it. Dragon Age 2 has good combat but everything else is meh.

Mount n Blade is also a mix of open world, strategy and rpg elements.

Dead Island games are open world and so is Dying Light.

Jrpgs in steam are also pretty good like Final Fantasy and Tales game. JRPGs tend to focus more on combat + story than open world + exploration but they are open world or have huge areas/cities to wander around in.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

basalt posted:

This is an odd one (and I do apologise for constantly asking for suggestions here), but does anybody know of any games that use pixel art in interesting ways?

Dead cells is going to be an excellent game with pretty pixel art. Still in beta though

e: I suppose Fez and Kingdom also have a style reminiscent of your interests

SpaceGoatFarts fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Jul 15, 2017

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

basalt posted:

This is an odd one (and I do apologise for constantly asking for suggestions here), but does anybody know of any games that use pixel art in interesting ways?

Pixel Privateers. It's not a mindblowing game and it's mechanically repetitive but it does a lot of things that other sprite-based devs could learn from, even if they're done for no real reason. Moving perspectives on 2d sprites, lots of bright colors that don't clash with each other, effects like scanlines, reflections and depth of field that are handled well, lots of soft ambient lights. It has classic oldschool pixel art that takes advantage of the fact that it's not stuck in a classic oldschool engine.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

What are the best local multiplayer games for pc/mac? I'm getting a second steam controller and I want my computer to be more like a super nintendo. Co-op, vs, i just wanna have games to play in my living room.

Currently playing Death Road to Canada and Crawl, and I enjoy both of them very much. Rogue-lite elements are appreciated.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Ignite Memories posted:

What are the best local multiplayer games for pc/mac? I'm getting a second steam controller and I want my computer to be more like a super nintendo. Co-op, vs, i just wanna have games to play in my living room.

Currently playing Death Road to Canada and Crawl, and I enjoy both of them very much. Rogue-lite elements are appreciated.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FijiSlYc5Ys

My friend and I have been having a blast playing Streets of Rogue since they added co-op. It's somewhere in between Nuclear Throne (also a good local co-op game) and an irreverent Deus Ex. There are tons of ridiculous tools that you can find to solve different situations in different ways and a lot of characters of varying usefulness/cool factor. It's still EA but it's a lot of fun as-is.

Our major complaint is that a lot of the time you have to be either lucky with what items you're finding or come up with a rather clever use of tools/skills/situation to do anything but brute force your way in with fists and axes and guns, and there are a lot of situations where brute force is your only option, but when you pull it off it's pretty great. You end up doing things like punching an innocent bystander through the wall of a prison so that a prisoner can escape without you going in the front door, hacking a refrigerator in an apartment to send it flying through the wall in to the back-room of the shop next door so you can get in and blow up the safe, bribing rival gangs to get in a fight in front of the police to distract the cops, etc.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Jul 16, 2017

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Ignite Memories posted:

I recommend all these for up to 4 players couch gaming fun:

- Overcooked (great coop fun)
- Rocket league (car soccer)
- Sonic & all stars racing transformed (Mario Kart on PC)
- Rayman Legends/Origin (coop platform)
- Broforce (rogue-like coop contra)
- Towerfall ascension (2D PVP)
- Guacamelee (coop platform)
- Battleblock theater (coop platform)
- Jamestown (coop SHMUP)

Divinity original sin is also supposed to have a fun local coop campaign but I never tried it.

Purple Monkey
May 5, 2014

Ignite Memories posted:

Nidhogg or you could wait a month for Nidhogg 2

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I want something like Pillars of Eternity's priest where I'm basically a healer in an MMO only in a real game instead of an MMO. Any suggestions?

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen
Teleglitch is an aesthetic triumph, in my opinion. In screenshots it looks ugly as sin, and it is. But in motion it's grotesquely beautiful. It's the only game I've ever played that hits the same button for me as harsh, abstract techno, like Jam City or shxcxchcxs.

The way gunfire makes the lighting strobe and the 'crt' ghost out as the viewpoint spins around you is fantastic.

It's actually the exact opposite of 'organic' feeling - it's deliberately alienating and artificial, low-fi to the point of almost complete abstraction. It's so drat cool though.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005

Ulio posted:

This is really comprehensive list of Open world games or RPG like games that are 3D and not indie/2d.

I would also recommend Dragon Age Origins which is infinitely better than any of Bioware's latter games. Dragon Age 2 and Inquisition are only on Origins. I heard Inquisition is not bad but never played it. Dragon Age 2 has good combat but everything else is meh.

Mount n Blade is also a mix of open world, strategy and rpg elements.

Dead Island games are open world and so is Dying Light.

Jrpgs in steam are also pretty good like Final Fantasy and Tales game. JRPGs tend to focus more on combat + story than open world + exploration but they are open world or have huge areas/cities to wander around in.

For Open World RPG, I've always heard Gothic is good, especially Gothic 2. Definitely older, I haven't got around to playing it yet, but I'm looking forward to it. Anyone in here have thoughts on it?

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I loved Gothic when I played it back in the day. I can't imagine what it would be like playing it now. Its super jank and really hard. its also unique as gently caress. If you do play it, just remember that the game is SUPPOSED to eat you alive at the beginning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Recommend a PS4 game for my wife. She's looking for a relaxing, chill experience. She's PMSing right now, so she doesn't want to think that much about anything and wants to just mindlessly enjoy a game. Some of her favorite games are Stardew Valley and Animal Crossing - so something preferably cute and chill. She was looking into Yonder: The Cloud Catcher Chronicles, but apparently that game is incredibly shallow/boring?

Mordiceius fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Jul 22, 2017