Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer
I made the mistake of checking some comments on BOLS and the Chaos players over there are awfully salty as well over the Ultramarine tactics. Must be something in the air today

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Get ready for teh wacky laughz0r!
Hype articles: "falling back from battle is a cool new tactic you can try, but at the penalty that you can't fire that round, so you need to have another line of infantry to shoot up the attackers! Also, the brand new morale system ensures that everyone has to take a morale check and possibly lose some extra models if they took any casualties, so nothing is fearless anymore!"

Ultramarines: "LOL NO"

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

goose willis posted:

Can Chaos get in on some of the sweet dead robot cyborg action? Haha no here's your loving helbrute (formerly Chaos dread) who has teetered between poo poo and OK every other edition and that's all you'll ever loving get lol

You've got demon crab machines, those sorta count

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
Special army rules have always literally been about ignoring the usual rules. Harlequins get to fall back and shoot AND charge, at no penalty, for one thing.

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Yes but at the penalty that they will forever look really loving stupid

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

goose willis posted:

Yes but at the penalty that they will forever look really loving stupid

Fight me, bitch

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

*glances at baby carrier*

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Harlequins would make plenty of sense in some sort of small RPG version of 40k but the concept of some goofy-looking space clown army made up of space elves who are DANGEROUSLY NEUTRAL is so loving stupid that I refuse to accept their existence

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
All FW FAQs released and updated...

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2017/07/15/new-and-updated-forge-world-faqs-july16gw-homepage-post-2/

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer
If you don't think Solitaires are cool I just don't know what to tell you.

In a game I watched at my FLGS I saw one move like 20-30 inches over enemy models and then absolutely destroy the enemy warlord. It owned pretty hard.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
I painted some more Black Templars, still trying to figure out a good photo setup at my new place:

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

The ultramarine tactics are concerning. They are super good and it's easy to imagine GW loving the whole game up again with dogshit faction rules. They should have released chaos or deldar faction rules first to show they aren't planning on throwing those factions in the trash again this edition.

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Pendent posted:

If you don't think Solitaires are cool I just don't know what to tell you.

I don't

Pendent posted:

In a game I watched at my FLGS I saw one move like 20-30 inches over enemy models and then absolutely destroy the enemy warlord. It owned pretty hard.

This is fun, to you?

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Lol it says "Forces of the Astra Militarum" at the bottom of the xenos errata.

The Kingfish posted:

The ultramarine tactics are concerning. They are super good and it's easy to imagine GW loving the whole game up again with dogshit faction rules. They should have released chaos or deldar faction rules first to show they aren't planning on throwing those factions in the trash again this edition.

The space marine codex is first so logically it'll be the worst this edition.

Edit:

goose willis posted:

This is fun, to you?
Yeah
I'm a solitaire haver though

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

The Kingfish posted:

Pretty sure if GW had their way the game would just be smurfs fighting each other.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
Malanthropes are officially broken as poo poo.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

The Ultra tactics are a new spin on the old 5th/6th rules, no big surprise really.

Alokgen
Aug 14, 2005

Are you saying I'm a sinner?

goose willis posted:

Harlequins would make plenty of sense in some sort of small RPG version of 40k but the concept of some goofy-looking space clown army made up of space elves who are DANGEROUSLY NEUTRAL is so loving stupid that I refuse to accept their existence

Rude

Savage Shulkie
May 13, 2009

Ogon’ po gotovnosti!

goose willis posted:

In the Grim Darkness of the future there are only Space Marines

JesusIsTehCool
Aug 26, 2002

The Kingfish posted:

I think I would rather have an even more broken game (I don't think 8th is ever close to being balanced) that has more interesting rules and variation. Every army having some reroll bubble thing is boring. When my Dark Angel army feels similar to playing my nids army something is wrong.

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

goose willis posted:

This is fun, to you?

owning someone's super serious bigly mans or anime robots with with ridiculous space elves in clown suits or pointy hats always rules

Soulfucker
Feb 15, 2012

i,m going to kill myself on friday #wow #whoa
Fun Shoe
My Solitaire has a tendency to just bounce off whatever it attacks and then die over the course of a few combat rounds. At least the invulnerable is decent?

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

JesusIsTehCool posted:

I think I would rather have an even more broken game (I don't think 8th is ever close to being balanced) that has more interesting rules and variation. Every army having some reroll bubble thing is boring. When my Dark Angel army feels similar to playing my nids army something is wrong.

I'll be happy if the variations are actually interesting. 7th's formations were really cool for tau, marines, and elder but everybody else got hosed.

I'm really happy about 8th and I'm not trying to chicken little here or anything. All I said was that the Ultramarine's special rules are concerning. If every faction's special rules are equally cool then it will be great for the game.

Black_Nexus
Mar 15, 2007

Nurgle loves ya
I was playing with my genestealer cult the other day, and was saddened to realize that Metamorphs are just bad.

I need so many more actual genestealers

JesusIsTehCool
Aug 26, 2002
So Ynnari still seems super busted and strong. My one unit of 5 players in a Starweaver were able to bring down half a dakka jet, 2 war bosses, a pain boy, and a truck before dieing to the truck exploding. On one turn the shadowseer killed the meganobs they were fighting with smite, the troupe soulbursted moved 8 keeping one guy with in 3 of the shadowseer, the shadowseer used his second psyker power to let the players move again, they pull up right next to a truck that was on the other side of our huge terrain feature (lol flip belts dont give a drat) and blew it up. I think it would be a little better if Ynnari Psykers had to use the Ynnari discipline and couldn't get the Harlequin move for free spell on top of soul bursting, but not sure how to balance "extra shooting or fighting turn" Maybe make it so each unit can only do it once per game?

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
Do you think it's worth losing Rising Crescendo though?

JesusIsTehCool
Aug 26, 2002

JoshTheStampede posted:

I don't know, I only play them as Ynnari as I have about 50/50 Harlequins and Craftworld Eldar (which I know now doesn't matter anymore but I got used to playing them as Ynnari so I didn't have to bring some dumb formations)

But for the sake of conversation Rising Crescendo seems really good if what you want to do is charge turn one, if you want to have more of a shooting game soul burst is obviously better. In my opinion the 1 str: 8 ap: - 4 d:1d6 shoots are a little better than the 4 str:5 ap: -2 d:1 close combat attacks and if you only have points for one I take the pistols. Even if you go close combat I think soul burst might still be stronger. Being able to attack twice in close combat turns 2-6 seems better than being able to advance and charge and pull out of combat and getting to assault turn one. But that is all conjecture as I have not played using rising crescendo in 8th.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

CSM just got a new war machine, infantry, and characters. Stop being greedy.

We got new elites. Our troops being from the 90s is still a problem.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS

That's good, they caught it in the first pass that blood angels and etc can't take any FW poo poo and fixed it. They also fixed the relic LoW problem

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

quote:

Massive Scything Talons
‘If the bearer has more than one pair of massive scything talons, it can make 1 additional attack with this weapon each time it fights.’

changed to

quote:

Massive Scything Talons
‘If the bearer has more than one pair of massive scything talons, it can make 1 additional attack with them each time it fights.’

Congrats GW you made it even more loving ambiguous :psyduck:

What was even the point of that change?

E: I guess the wording in FW was even weirder, but I still can't believe they don't see this as confusing text. Why not just be clearer?

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Jul 15, 2017

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

goose willis posted:

I don't

This is fun, to you?

Please sound less triggered thanks.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS

Zaphod42 posted:

changed to

E: I guess the wording in FW was even weirder, but I still can't believe they don't see this as confusing text. Why not just be clearer?

They changed it to use the wording lightning claws use

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

I have the IA:AM ebook, do they update that to where I can remove and download an updated version from the digital site?

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

The Kingfish posted:

I do think its profoundly dumb that I'm functionally immune to morale as primaris ultras.

Have to lose 4/5 men in the squad in a single turn before I have a 1/36 chance of losing the last guy.

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

Hi I'm the poster that is always outraged about something.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

JesusIsTehCool posted:

So Ynnari still seems super busted and strong. My one unit of 5 players in a Starweaver were able to bring down half a dakka jet, 2 war bosses, a pain boy, and a truck before dieing to the truck exploding. On one turn the shadowseer killed the meganobs they were fighting with smite, the troupe soulbursted moved 8 keeping one guy with in 3 of the shadowseer, the shadowseer used his second psyker power to let the players move again, they pull up right next to a truck that was on the other side of our huge terrain feature (lol flip belts dont give a drat) and blew it up. I think it would be a little better if Ynnari Psykers had to use the Ynnari discipline and couldn't get the Harlequin move for free spell on top of soul bursting, but not sure how to balance "extra shooting or fighting turn" Maybe make it so each unit can only do it once per game?

JoshTheStampede posted:

So I play eldar; I own mostly craft world and corsair models, with a few dark eldar and harlequins. I think the Ynarri rules are dumb as gently caress. I don't know if they're exactly too good. They're almost certainly better than battle focus, rising crescendo is key for harlequin units but strength from death has a similar effect by allowing you to get more hits in (as someone already stated).

What gets me is just how unfun they would be for my opponents and how deeply they poo poo on the idea of game balance. How deeply irritating it must be to have a (potentially devastating) backlash every time you kill an opposing unit? And who thought that situational bonuses and special rules are the same thing as getting extra goes at shooting/fighting!?

Basically it pissed me off when it came out and I'm amamzed they kept it in what was supposed to be a 'fresh start' edition. I'd never inflict that poo poo on my friends.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Hixson posted:

Hi I'm the poster that is always outraged about something.
I don't like -UNIT-. Therefore, no one should take -UNIT- or enjoy using -UNIT-.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
The syntax would be <UNIT>, you awful, awful man.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

Zaphod42 posted:

changed to

It was changed in line with the main GW FAQ. With the previous wording people were arguing that each unique pair of talons gave +1 attack, meaning a Scythed Hierodule would have had +2 and Trygons +3. Now it's capped at +1.

TKIY posted:

Malanthropes are officially broken as poo poo.

It's less a case of OP and more poor internal balance. A Malanthrope fulfills basically the same role as Venomthropes more effectively for less points (you trade a smaller footprint for the AoE applying to all units plus CHARACTER protection). On top of that it now has a very similar role to a Prime, acting as a synapse character for less points too. There's little reason to take either of these units over a Malanthrope unless you have a quite specific requirement - such as buffing Warriors / Shrikes.

Honestly I'd still be happy taking them at ~150pts considering what they do. Or happier still if they reduced the cost of Venomthropes instead.

xtothez fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Jul 15, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

MasterSlowPoke posted:

The syntax would be <UNIT>, you awful, awful man.
:negative: