Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

LanceHunter posted:

$25k/mo = $300k/yr

Put $2 million into an endowment calculator for 100 years. You're only looking at being able to give/spend around $80k in the first year. I'm sure they're probably getting a better deal on the hosting than the regular commercial AWS price, but when you're setting up endowments that are going to last long into the future, a lot of money doesn't go as far as you'd expect (until you are much further in the future).

As fishmech said, I wasn't responding to or doubting the projected costs to store the data in perpetuity. Just the idea that it would have somehow been a significant burden for SoundCloud to have stored that data in the past (which it was not).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JailTrump
Jul 14, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
Chance the Rapper says Soundcloud isn't going anywhere...

JailTrump fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Jul 17, 2017

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

Hmm

https://twitter.com/matthewstoller/status/886251582840594432

BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003
The search continues for a new CEO, chief financial officer, chief operating officer, general counsel, and independent board chair.

Lol well good luck

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Sounds like they are mostly desperate for more money, since as we all know they are hemorrhaging cash badly.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

FlamingLiberal posted:

Sounds like they are mostly desperate for more money, since as we all know they are hemorrhaging cash badly.

sounds to me like they're trying to get themselves out now, but little by little so that the house of cards doesn't fall apart before they fully cash out

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

FlamingLiberal posted:

Remember, these are mostly the investors selling shares, Uber will barely see any money out of it, since it'll just receive whatever token amount the board is willing to demand in order for those early investors to trade otherwise-locked-up shares.

Uber'll be lucky to get like $100 million from this if that much, and with the way they burn cash that only pays for like, two weeks tops? If we judge by their losses for the first 2 quarters of the year, which totalled to 1.6 billion, they burn $100 million every 11.5 days or so, on average.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

JailTrump posted:

Chance the Rapper says Soundcloud isn't going anywhere...

please please edit your post

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

Remember when Elon Musk quit trump's tech advisory council due to Trump withdrawing from the Paris climate agreement?

https://twitter.com/tonyromm/status/883045409727369217

Apparently being against the one cause he cares deeply about isn't enough to make him quit the republicans.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Zikan posted:

Remember when Elon Musk quit trump's tech advisory council due to Trump withdrawing from the Paris climate agreement?

https://twitter.com/tonyromm/status/883045409727369217

Apparently being against the one cause he cares deeply about isn't enough to make him quit the republicans.

Be fair now, he hates unions and so do Republicans. That makes at least two things he cares about.

Raldikuk
Apr 7, 2006

I'm bad with money and I want that meatball!

Shugojin posted:

Be fair now, he hates unions and so do Republicans. That makes at least two things he cares about.

Also to be fair the article goes into detail how they fund both sides so no matter who wins they have a seat at the table.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

Raldikuk posted:

Also to be fair the article goes into detail how they fund both sides so no matter who wins they have a seat at the table.

Maybe they could stop bloody well doing that when one side is so clearly insane.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Raldikuk posted:

"we got a seat at trump's kiddy table! WHEEEE!!"

NewForumSoftware
Oct 8, 2016

by Lowtax

Raldikuk posted:

neoliberalism.txt

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

BarbarianElephant posted:

Maybe they could stop bloody well doing that when one side is so clearly insane.

The clearly insane side has a great record in midterms, and they're still riding high on their white-hot rage at briefly being told what to do by a black man.

a foolish pianist fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Jul 17, 2017

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015

a foolish pianist posted:

The clearly insane side has a great record in midterms, and they're still riding high on they're white-hot rage at briefly being told what to do by a black man.

Can we get an index fund in "white hot rage"?

Raldikuk
Apr 7, 2006

I'm bad with money and I want that meatball!

BarbarianElephant posted:

I don't support their actions here but it is rational. This isn't just the tech industry but basically every major industry out there. They fund both sides of the aisle so they have a say. Sure Trump and the Republicans are awful but if they're in power you also don't want them to spite you.

The good thing to come from an article like that though is revealing that of course silicon valley tech bros play the same capitalist games as everyone else and people need to stop assuming that companies they like will support their values. They don't their only value is the bottom line and they'll lie cheat and steal to improve it.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015

Raldikuk posted:

I don't support their actions here but it is rational. This isn't just the tech industry but basically every major industry out there. They fund both sides of the aisle so they have a say.

Doesn't that just make both sides take them for granted?

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
I looked into the platform publishing that racist twitter comic in the politoons thread from a couple pages ago, gab.ai.

The results will surprise you.

quote:

Gab is an ad-free social network for creators who believe in free speech, individual liberty, and the free flow of information online.
Invest in Gab AI Inc
Gab stands for bringing folks together of all races, religions, and creeds who share in the common ideals of Western values, individual liberty, and the free exchange of ideas. Here at Gab, it is our mission to put people first and provide them with the tools they need to create and shape their own experience.

Whether you realize it or not, there is only but an illusion of choice when it comes to what technology products and services you can use to communicate, find information, network, and discover news. The web is being shaped and influenced by a handful of companies with special interests pushing a very specific agenda. In the free market of ideas, the best ideas always win. When those in control realize that they are no longer winning, they have no choice but to censor and suppress opposing views, information, and better ideas.

At Gab we believe in the power of people and in the strength of community. It is our goal to keep the social web grounded in the freedom of expression, information, and speech. This crowdfunding campaign levels the playing field and gives The People an opportunity to invest in Gab and join us on our journey to build a social network that people love. Gab is powered, operated, and funded by you The People; not special interests or the old guard in Silicon Valley.

Stand with us and help to build a new platform owned by The People and built for The People.

Andrew Torba,
CEO Gab AI Inc

My goodness, I wonder what the target audience is.

Gosh, that name sounds familiar.

quote:

Gab welcomes everyone, but sees a unique opportunity to carve a niche in a massively underserved and unrepresented market. We estimate that there are over 50 million conservative, libertarian, nationalist, and populist internet users from around the world who are seeking an alternative to the current social networking ecosystems. These users are also actively seeking out alternative media platforms like Breitbart.com, DrudgeReport.com, Infowars.com, and others. In November 2016 alone, Breitbart.com had over 45 million unique visitors from around the world. As mainstream social networks continue to crack down on "objectionable content" and censor conservative views, we believe the need for alternative platforms will only continue to rise. We believe the trend of "cutting the cord" will continue as the popularity of streaming content over the internet increases. We believe this will also begin a fragmentation process of the social networking ecosystem into smaller niche communities with shared values and ideals.

Huh, there's a note at the bottom of the investor page:

quote:

Irregular Use of Proceeds

The Company might incur Irregular Use of Proceeds that may include but are not limited to the following over $10,000: Vendor payments and salary made to one's self, a friend or relative; Any expense labeled "Administration Expenses" that is not strictly for administrative purposes; Any expense labeled "Travel and Entertainment"; Any expense that is for the purposes of inter-company debt or back payments.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Jul 17, 2017

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
that reminds me, is reddit profitable?

PenguinKnight
Apr 6, 2009

Reddit is kept afloat by posts that get bought reddit funbux and (i think) VC money

PenguinKnight fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Jul 17, 2017

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

boner confessor posted:

that reminds me, is reddit profitable?

Advance probably would have sold it off after 11 years if it was still very unprofitable, they only paid $20 million for it back in 2006 and could probably sell it off for more now.

PenguinKnight posted:

Reddit is kept afloat by posts that get bought reddit funbux and (i think) VC money

Reddit had a $100,000 seed round in 2005, and a $50 million Series B round in late 2014. They're not much of a VC money faucet fest.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Life in the fast lane

quote:

These employees — all of whom shared their experiences with BuzzFeed News on condition of anonymity, mostly for fear of repercussion — described impossible workloads, around-the-clock emergencies, fear of management, a total erosion of work-life balance, and a pattern of public humiliation at the hands of higher-ups as Uber pushed to become the juggernaut it is today. Many attributed panic attacks, substance abuse, depression, and hospitalizations to the stress of the job. All — even those who ultimately enjoyed their time there — recall a uniquely high-pressure environment in which employees were regularly pushed to a breaking point, but afraid to quit and leave large amounts of equity on the table.

“It’s a money cult. People are putting up with massive amounts of abuse, mental abuse, constant threats to fire you so you’re losing your equity,” one former employee told BuzzFeed News. “The equity, people see that as their future, their retirement, the reason they moved to America, or why they moved halfway across the country, or across the country.”
"Work/life balance" is a code phrase for "We don't expect you to actually have a life, but we want to look good in the press."

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
Here's an evil, lovely company:

https://www.fama.io/case-studies/

quote:

Alcohol On An Entry-Level Job Candidate’s Social Media

It is no secret that the pictures people post from college tend to contain more pictures of alcohol and partying. While many companies give a bit more leeway for content from college, they do not ignore it altogether. What do you do if one of your candidates has a number of photos of excessive drinking and partying from college?

Regulate VC into oblivion.

curufinor
Apr 4, 2016

by Smythe

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Uber scum poo poo

Every tech major had like a 3 month stage of this

Then they were like, nah gently caress this for a lark, and then they do like 50 to 60 hours tops, usually more like 40. Sold majority of googlers do 45 or less. Worse in certain teams

Uber just drank that koolaid and drank it hard

You need to print money like God to be in the position to say, gently caress that for a lark. Only reason they aren't and will never be a tech major. CEOs are replaceable, although a bugger. You can pay pr guys to make you look better despite employees and managers being scum. They only do it for money, tho

curufinor
Apr 4, 2016

by Smythe

Kobayashi posted:

Here's an evil, lovely company:

https://www.fama.io/case-studies/

Regulate VC into oblivion.

This seems like Theranos, where all the actual investors in the actual area of expertise laughed them out and they just got some random people with money

I mean, you can only start in vc land by law if you have a million dollars lying around, as an accredited investor and poo poo. Nontrivially regulated already. They are scum, but angel market has already decided they don't look that great

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Zuckerberg Comma Mark

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jt2gPAnR8A8

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
Glass is back in an environment where it's actually useful: https://www.wired.com/story/google-glass-2-is-here/

quote:

Don’t call Heather Erickson a glasshole.

Yes, that’s Google Glass on her frames. But she’s not using it to check her Facebook, dictate messages, or capture a no-hands video while riding a roller coaster. Erickson is a 30-year-old factory worker in rural Jackson, Minnesota. For her, Glass is not a hip way to hang apps in front of her eyeballs, but a tool—as much a tool as her power wrenches. It walks her through her shifts at Station 50 on the factory floor, where she builds motors for tractors.
GE in particular has been enthusiastic in its Glass tests, claiming a 46 percent decrease in the time it takes a warehouse picker using the product. (Using Glass in this environment is as transformative as in factories—after a successful test, DHL says it plans to roll out Glass in its 2000 warehouses across the globe.) Another pilot project, in GE’s Aviation Division, used EE with a wifi-enabled torque wrench: Glass tells workers whether they are using the proper amount of torque. Eighty-five percent of the workers said that the system would reduce errors. “By the end of this year, we’ll have several sites deploying this,” says Ted Robertson, an engineering manager at GE Aviation.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Cicero posted:

Glass is back in an environment where it's actually useful: https://www.wired.com/story/google-glass-2-is-here/
That seems like a much better use than as a consumer product.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

FlamingLiberal posted:

That seems like a much better use than as a consumer product.
That's solving a real problem. I understand the wiring bundles at Boeing are effing insane; I bet they're interested.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Cicero posted:

I'm not sure why this wasn't the original use, lots of manufacturing companies have been asking for something like this.

Arsenic Lupin posted:

That's solving a real problem. I understand the wiring bundles at Boeing are effing insane; I bet they're interested.

Yes, they absolutely are.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Cicero posted:

The people I knew who used Google Glass said they got a maximum of 4 hours of battery life. Do they have backup Glasses to switch to after lunch, or do they have bigger battery packs on these industrial units?

LanceHunter fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Jul 18, 2017

The Dipshit
Dec 21, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
It'd be trivially easy to have a USB charger plugged into a hip pack battery in a utility belt. Not much heavier than a walkie-talkie.

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

Solkanar512 posted:

I'm not sure why this wasn't the original use, lots of manufacturing companies have been asking for something like this.

The reason why this was not the original use is because it probably wasn't a big enough market for Google to care about.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

silence_kit posted:

The reason why this was not the original use is because it probably wasn't a big enough market for Google to care about.

Which is stupid, because businesses would probably be willing to pay more for it than regular consumers.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
This is certainly a larger markets than people wanting to spend a grand and a half to look like rear end in a top hat cyborgs in public for no real benefit.

Microsoft seemed to have the right idea in positioning the Hololens to businesses first.

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

Avenging_Mikon posted:

businesses would probably be willing to pay more for it than regular consumers.

Of course, but there also wouldn't be as many customers.

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

silence_kit posted:

Of course, but there also wouldn't be as many customers.

Given its reception when it was marketed to the public at large I'd say you're probably wrong about that. The potential market is larger, but it didn't appeal to the vast majority of customers in that market, hence the refocus to commercial/industrial customers.

It's like criticizing forklift manufacturers for marketing to industrial and commercial customers rather than the vastly larger young adult customer market.

Warbadger fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Jul 18, 2017

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

LanceHunter posted:

The people I knew who used Google Glass said they got a maximum of 4 hours of battery life. Do they have backup Glasses to switch to after lunch, or do they have bigger battery packs on these industrial units?
The article says this:

quote:

The battery life has been extended—essential for those who want to work through a complete eight-hour shift without recharging. (More intense usage, like constant streaming, still calls for an external battery.)

Avenging_Mikon posted:

Which is stupid, because businesses would probably be willing to pay more for it than regular consumers.
Remember at the time, Google was overwhelmingly a consumer-oriented company. They still kind of are, but there's definitely more effort put into enterprise products these days (also education which is somewhat similar to enterprise); Google is much more serious about selling Gsuite and its cloud platform tech now than it was in 2012.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016
Had a candidate give a seminar last week, and it was so bad I went and looked at his/her resume.

Manager, Theranos, 20xx to 2017

:stonk: