Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Glazius posted:

Do the guardians shoot at the Bokoblins too, or will they only target you? Seems like they'd be really good at raising a ruckus when you were trying to sneak around a Guardian.

I don't really know the details, but Guardians can target some enemies. I think if they get hit by an enemy attack they'll focus on that enemy. It may only be for larger enemies like Taluses, though, and I'm pretty sure Guardians won't ever attack each other. But there's certainly videos of Guardian vs. Talus that are entertaining to watch.

iospace posted:

So what's the death count at?

Probably around 20? I haven't marked every death in the LP.

The new Hero's Path feature added in the first DLC will retrace your steps from the very beginning (or from last 200 hours if you're over that) including deaths, though it can take awhile to watch. I'll probably take a watch later and count them all up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Can you get enemies to fight each other? Is the Guardian laser damaging to other enemies?

Edit - wow. That's what happens when you leave the page on for a few hours before typing out your question.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

Mabe Village. Wasn't that in Link's Awakening?

Mega64
May 23, 2008

So...we've got a long search ahead of us.

One thing I did not realize is that all the clothing chests, or at least the fairy ones, are partially underground and thus need Magnesis to unlock.

I still die a lot, of course.

I decide to go back to Ranch Ruins with this new information.

And take ample opportunity for pictures.

Seriously, it's a chore to navigate Hyrule Field without some way to nullify the Guardians. I can't really stress that enough.

I then head to Mabe because one of the clues said it was in village ruins next to farmland.

After some more cowardice, I make my move.

https://h.mega64.net/botw/u37/013.mp4

So, you can knock over dead Guardians with Magnesis manipulation. They'll even have screws under them!

And we find our first item of clothing! Those tights fit very well.

I opt away from them after a bit, I'd rather have the full experience first.

At this point, I didn't really know where to go next.

I did find a handy trick to sneaking past Guardians, though.

Not so helpful with the dumber enemies, though.

From here, I decide to try my luck at the Garrison again.

Nothing new besides a few more third-degree burns.

This time I opt to go northwest because why not. The scenery is nice, at least when things aren't trying to kill me.

Sadly the scenery is never nice.

One location, two Koroks.

There's a shrine up ahead.

Oh yeah, close to Hyrule Castle there are flying versions of the Guardians. Honestly they're a massive pain to kill and the loot isn't worth it. At least they're easy to evade, so just walk around them or down them with an Ancient Arrow.

https://h.mega64.net/botw/u37/038.mp4

Since this is the closest we've been so far, I also take the opportunity to get a better look at that floating island. Hmm.

We're very close to Hyrule Castle. Between it and us are the ruins of Castle Town. It's seen better days.

Anyway, let's take a break from clothes shopping.

Oh boy, another Test of Strength.

At this point stealth is kinda pointless and I like not dying as much, so I go Champion Tunic and Hylian Hood/Trousers.

The Champion Tunic's special ability is displaying the health of enemies, giving the added bonus of showing hidden enemies.

Damage formula is a simple "deal whatever strength your weapon has" damage. The Ceremonial Trident has a strength of 14, so yeah.

Of course, if your last attack breaks the weapon, or if the weapon is thrown, it'll deal double damage.

There's also certain properties that can affect damage. For instance, here the Guardian Sword did 26 damage instead of the usual 20. If you use Guardian weapons on Guardian-type enemies, they deal an extra 30% damage. Certainly good to know!

The Scout goes out quickly, and here's our reward.

And here's the garbage our reward replaced.

Another shrine done!

From here, I decide I'll try my luck exploring Castle Town. Surely there's some good loot hidden around here.

Or at least some nice photography opportunities.

A lot of wall fortifications have some nice loot hidden in the junctions between walls.

There's large structures jutting towards Hyrule Castle at a 45 degree angle. They don't really do anything, you can't climb them though if you glide down from Hyrule Castle itself you can reach the tops, which don't really have anything valuable. They're just there to look menacing.

Not that they need the help.

There's a lot of malice around. Fortunately there's also an eyeball to open up a path to the town ruins.

Music: Hyrule Castle Town

Being right outside Hyrule Castle, Castle Town received the brunt of Calamity Ganon's wrath. There's nothing here besides Guardians and long-forgotten treasures.

I opt to press my luck on a turret.

After a lot of wearing down and taking advantage of its difficulty aiming at me when I'm right at its face, I break it up and get some decent loot.

It had a whopping 500 HP. Now keep in mind the walking and flying versions have three times that.

This chest has malice in front of it. The idea is to bomb the back wall, but I just climbed inside since there's no ceiling.

Then I bombed it.

There are a lot of treasures, but honestly many aren't worth the significant risk that being out here entails. And when you can handle yourself, you don't really need this stuff anymore. It's mainly for the insane who embrace death by laser, which is why we're here.

After I cut through the middle of town to the east side, I head for the outer fortifications.

Guardians are still everywhere.

In the eastern side is this random metal door.

It's a Korok.

This is probably the best shield we'll find for awhile. Shields are pretty much linear in upgrades, there's pretty much no reason to not have the strongest shields except maybe a wooden one for lightning storms.

So away this goes.

I try to kill this thing but it wouldn't open its eye.

It's also a trap because that seemingly-dead Guardian...isn't. This is where the Champion Tunic can save your butt.

Though the malice eye distracted me enough that I activated the Guardian anyway. Did you know simply hanging on to something won't deplete stamina? This can actually be useful at times!

A discarded sword and shield in front of the ruined fountain.

And a shield I discard to make room for the other shield because I'm a giant litterbug.

That door in the distance is the front entrance to Hyrule Castle. I'm not going to bother today, as I'm sure it's heavily guarded.

Eventually, though.

Business as usual!

I see a pinwheel thing up top, which means...

Hit the balloons challenge!

I opt for the Lynel Bow to take advantage of the triple shot. It only takes one arrow, too!

I've been cleaning up on Koroks this update!

And also on explosions.

Luckily Mipha's there to save my incompetent butt. We barely survived the blast, but the resulting fire would've killed us.

Oh yeah, this made me realize that we're right in front of Hyrule Castle, so we're likely near this place too. Not enough trees though.

Hmmmmmm.

Waiting out the wrath of two Guardians later...

Look what we have here! It's time for another memory.

https://h.mega64.net/botw/u37/111.mp4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GE0DTr8985w

This one appears to be some sort of ceremony.

You have shown unflinching bravery and skill in the face of darkness and adversity. And have proven yourself worthy of the blessings of the Goddess Hylia.

The sacred blade is forever bound to the soul of the Hero. We pray for your protection...and we hope that - that the two of you will grow stronger together, as one.

If you're not watching the video, Zelda delivers this dialogue in the most monotone, bored-out-of-her-skull way possible. She clearly couldn't be less enthused.

She's making it sound like we already lost.
Wasn't this your idea?

And if you ask me, the whole thing does seem to be overkill. I think I'm on the same page as the princess regarding...this boy.
Oh, give it a rest.

I'd like to think she can clearly hear them the entire time, which...maybe this isn't the best place to bicker.

At any rate, this is definitely a different Zelda from the one still waiting patiently a hundred yards away while we search the entirety of Hyrule Field for Tingle's used clothing.

Oh, right! The clothes!

At this point I became sick of looking around and looked up where the other two were. Turns out I was way off and would've taken forever to find them since neither location is marked on the map until you travel to them!

First, back to the area where we stumbled upon the shrine.

Our first goal is that large island on the left.

These were on the wall right next to the shrine. Missed them the first time, but got them now!

Rock on the wall, and a pattern with a missing rock in the center.

Yep!

A giant stone slab covered these, at least until I Stasised it away.

This is our third one this update.

Anyway, this area has what we seek.

Not these, though they're a bonus.

Nor the Korok, though having one of the puzzles partially underwater is a nice touch.

This is the prison area we heard about earlier.

And there's our second piece of fairy gear!

Fun Fact: You can fast travel in the middle of combat. Nice try, Guardian!

The last one is around Windvane Meadow.

On the way from the tower, I run into another shrine.

And this one is...quite involved. Probably the largest shrine we've seen yet.

The theme here is finding various ways to open giant stone doors, though the method is usually obvious.

For instance, use Magnesis to pull the ball back and upward to hit the door open with momentum.

Next, two rows of spiked balls hurling on by. Magnesis to stop them so you can pass.

A couple guardians protect the next trick.

https://h.mega64.net/botw/u37/169.mp4

Classic.

There are a lot of chests in this shrine. This is one of the strongest blades we've seen yet.

This isn't as strong, but it's only one-handed so still pretty nice.

Something has to go.

We'll get back to this door later. There's a path forward on the other side for now.

Nice try, game.

Here there's a weird floating hammer and a ball next to it.

You might expect Magnesis, but no.

oh no

Yes, we're back to the dreaded Gyro controls. Though at least this time you "only" have to hit the ball with the hammer several times.

https://i.mega64.net/botw/u37/181.mp4

Easier said than done, but it's still trivial.

This one's a bit more elaborate.

There's a door and a giant tilt platform on this side.

On the other, a flammable platform holding up a giant ball, and a switch. This is honestly the only somewhat tricky one in here, since it requires several concepts, and even then it's simple once you figure out what the switch does.

The switch flips up the platform below where the ball is.

Notch your arrow on one of the torches to save on fire arrows. I guess you could always throw a lit torch too, though that'd take a bit more luck.

Lost the bow, but the arrow hit. Now for the magic to happen.

https://i.mega64.net/botw/u37/187.mp4

Quickly stasis the tilt, flip the ball up, and hope it has enough momentum to make it. Got it first try.

Remember that door we skipped earlier? Now we'll open it. The switch lowers the gate.

Bombable wall with rupees.

This thing is on a track leading to the door, so now we just do a simple stasis smash-up.

And the last puzzle!

https://i.mega64.net/botw/u37/196.mp4

Well, if you can call it that.

First, go around to pick up the Diamond.

And before we get the orb, let's see just how much ground we've covered here. This place is huge!

Finally, we're done. It was alright, kinda wished the puzzles flowed together more like a traditional Zelda dungeon though rather than a bunch of random thematically similar puzzles. Got my money's worth, though.

We're pretty close to our final prize, too!

A couple travelers vs. a couple of Bokoblins.

Guess who wins.

Not too shabby.

We really need to get to safety.

Have fun!

Finally. The area where a lot of trade occurred.

Oh wow a Korok what a surprise

Nope! Just another chest.

There we go.

At last, our quest is complete!

And it was so worth it.

If you look at the menu screen, you'll see it says "Set Bonus - Night Speed Up". Many sets have bonuses when you wear all three parts of it. The trick is you have to upgrade each piece of clothing twice in order to activate the set bonus. The DLC gear is an exception, of course, as are a few other novelty sets.

The Fairy Clothes let Link run faster at night. It's pretty nice, though it's a bonus copied by several other sets, most notably the Sheikah gear. Still, it's the only way we can do it now, and who doesn't want to dress like a fairy?

One bright side of that whole ordeal is Link finding a ton of money and gems, so next time, Link becomes a home owner.

Mega64 fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Jul 25, 2017

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Link looks...less than thrilled to be dressed like Tingle.

Quantum Toast
Feb 13, 2012

I honestly wasn't expecting the Tingle outfit to actually do anything.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Quick, find some way to stick an octo balloon to yourself!

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

Link rides the short bus to Kakariko village when dressed like that.

Lynneth
Sep 13, 2011
That is the best goddamn outfit.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Mega64 posted:

And it was so worth it.
:yeah:

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

Seeing you throw away a forest-dweller's sword kind of hurt. It's one of the game's few items that it is impossible to get more than a few of.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I've added another section to the third info post, showing the memories we've unlocked so far. In the menu with the quests, the last category shows all the memories you've unlocked, and most importantly, the chronological order they take place in. The one we got last update was the first one chronologically, in case you're curious. Total of 18 memories, 12 from finding them in the wild using our pictures, 4 from the Divine Beast quests, and 2...well, we'll have to find those on our own!

- Memory #1: Subdued Ceremony - (Video)

- Memory #10: Mipha's Touch - (Video)

- Memory #15: Return of Calamity Ganon - (Video)

Anyway, next update will be up in fifteen minutes or so after I get some organizational stuff out of the way.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

We've completed our secondary goals of finding the stone monuments and the fairy clothes. Doing those led to a large increase of wealth that will let us fulfill our primary goal, buying the house in Hateno.

But while we're in the area, we've got enough materials to finish upgrading our runes, so let's stop by the Tech Lab first.

Let's start with the Remote Bomb.

Sounds simple enough. Let's do it!

Pretty much what it says. Larger blast radius, shorter recharge time. Handy!

Stasis+ is the interesting one, as it lets you use it on monsters. It even works on powerful monsters, though in those cases the charge times are brief. Still, this is just as useful as you'd may expect and will be valuable in future battles.

Well, I suppose with your Sheikah Slate and your legendary swordsmanship, we have nothing to fear. Yes, quite! Nothing at all! Not even... Calamity Ganon!

Another quest done!

Just one more thing left to do...

https://j.mega64.net/botw/u38/020.mp4

Certain clothes will frighten villagers. Mostly these are "scary" clothes, but it just so happens the fairy clothes also fall under that criteria.

Utterly delightful.

We've pretty much got the money, and after I clear these trees with explosives I also have the wood.

And sadly we cannot dye the fairy clothes.

A mass selling of gems later...

...and we hit our mark and then some!

https://j.mega64.net/botw/u38/026.mp4

After a brief trek of scaring more villagers, we're ready to become a homeowner.

Time to chat up Bolson.

Here you go!

All I needed to see... Good-faith wood. You're obviously serious about this, and now I know it. So, as promised, I'll sell you this old house for the low price of 3,000 rupees. Once you've got the money together, come grab me.

Now for stage 2.

Here you go!

Yes.

No way! Talk about studly!

Thanks for the sweet investment. Spending so much money on ANYTHING at your age... It's just so...studly!

So...next-job time, baby! What'd I have lined up again?

We're a homeowner now!

It's...kinda bare, though.

We only have one weapon mount, which we can use to hang our weapons. We certainly wouldn't want to break apart our Lightscale Trident, so let's hang it up for now.

Hudson also has a new quest available now that we bought the house.

What are you doing?

Taking a break. By the way... Did you buy that house?

Yes.

Impressive. You're just a pup.

Uh... come again?

Don't worry about it. Anyway...

What?

Looks like I've gotta head out and leave this place soon.

Why?

I've been transferred.

Transferred...

Mighta heard, but Bolson Construction is planning to expand big-time.

That's great!

Yeah, big expansion.

Where will you go?

Zora's Domain is north of here. We're going north of that, though. An area called the Akkala region.

That's pretty far.

Yeah...well.

Good luck!

OK then. Well... No time like the present, right? I should be getting on my way... If you'd like, you should come to the Akkala region and say hello.

https://j.mega64.net/botw/u38/067.mp4

Farewell, Hudson!

Also watch Bolson during that animation.

Anyway, this is the start of one of the more interesting quests in the game, but more on that whenever we get to it.

Oh, yeah, thanks for the big purchase! Seriously, though. Well done! Where'd a kid like you get that kind of dough? Thanks to you, I'm getting a plum bonus! Me and my girlfriend are gonna grab a tasty meal!

Anyway, our house is pretty bare, so maybe we should fix that.

So the both of us sort of hit a personal milestone, huh? Time to kick back and get LEISURELY, baby!

Heh! You don't even have to say it. "Oh, wah, I just bought a house and it's totally empty and depressing!" Oh, sure, that's you to a T. I see it in your eyes. Yup, I was just like you, about a lifetime ago. So tell you what, lemme help by taking care of furniture, or the exterior, or anything really, for 5,000 rupees.

Just cruise on by whenever you have the spending cash and we'll talk.

The second part of the house quest is simply buying various upgrades for your home. Each one costs 100 rupees, with a total of 14 upgrades. Thus the extra spending money.

First, though, let's ask about Hudson.

Good old Hudson... Wonder if everything is OK with him up Akkala way. It's a nice enough region. But maybe all that cargo was a bit too heavy to travel with, even for him...

There's also another option, that, errr...

https://j.mega64.net/botw/u38/089.mp4

...Alright, then. Let's just ask about house additions.

There are three types. Interior installations, exterior installations, and gear displays like the weapon mount we currently have.

We'll be getting them all, but let's start with interior installations.

First, the bed.

First, we pay the money.

Then, one of several lines as Bolson gets himself up and ready to work. Other lines...

This work ain't doing itself.

Hang on a sec. Gotta get my mind right.

Then one of a decent amount of lines where Bolson pumps up himself and Karson, with Karson eager to jump in. Here's all the ones I got.

Karson! We are ON!
Yo!

Karson! Are we studs of studwork? YOU'RE DARN TOOTING WE ARE!
Yo!

Karson, awaken your inner animal! We are BEASTS OF CONSTRUCTION!
I'm with you!

Karson! Recall that time you dazzled me? Well, it's dazzling time again, baby!
Been waiting!

Bolson Construction! What's our credo?! With seven colors of paint...
Buildings bloom like the spring!

Bolson Contrusction! What's our credo?! If you can't pull the saw...
Then don't push it!

Bolson Construction! What's our credo?! THUNK! ZWIP! Hammer! Saw!
Good rhythm! Good jaw...b!

Bolson Construction! What's our credo? Any nail could fail...
So don't let your hammer stammer!

They are all absolutely marvelous.

Then we get to the actual building, done off screen.

https://j.mega64.net/botw/u38/099.mp4

Worth a listen though!

Anyway, let's check it out!

The bed's one of the only functional items we get added, letting us pass time if we wish.

Next, let's get some lighting.

It certainly looks livelier now!

https://j.mega64.net/botw/u38/112.mp4

As a bonus, this happened after I get the last interior upgrade.

The final addition is the door. Gotta keep the elements out, after all!

First, let's get a sign with our name on it, because Link is anything if not humble.

I'll take the game's word on it!

Flowers...

...and trees.

The last option are gear mounts. You can have up to three each of weapon, bow, and shield mounts. This includes the weapon mount we got for free upon buying the house, so we'll be spending 800 rupees here to finish off the house.

And here they are in action. I'll be sure to replace them with more valuable items in the future.

Anyway, after all that...

Ah, such is the way of youth... Driven! Even reckless, some might say.

Karson! Look lively!
I'm with you!

https://a.pomf.cat/aeviuw.mp4

We've done it! We've finished upgrading our house!

Come to think of it, we've had no word from Hudson, have we? Hard to believe someone could get lost on a simple trip to Lake Akkala...

Where to?

He went to a place north fo here in the Akkala region called Lake Akkala. Looking for new and creative ways to expand the business, he said. I wanna help him out, but I'm still green. Part of getting better in life is realizing how much you have to learn!

Really, the house itself doesn't do that much besides give a few slots to store weapons and shields. The main reason to get the house is to have Hudson venture into Akkala, which is its own interesting arc. But we'll get to that in time.

Anyway, this is our house!

It looks much better with all the furniture!

It'd be nice if we could just kick back and relax for awhile...but adventure still calls and all. Which means it's time to figure out what we do next!

First, our updated map.

Next, an updated list of all the quests available to us.

And our current clothing:

quote:

CURRENT ARMOR

* Cannot be dyed

Head

Climber's Bandanna
Hylian Hood
Rubber Helm
Soldier's helm
Stealth Mask
Tingle's Hood *
Zora Helmet

Body

Champion's Tunic *
Hylian Tunic
Nintendo Switch Shirt *
Old Shirt
Soldier's Armor
Stealth Chest Guard
Tingle's Shirt *
Warm Doublet
Zora Armor

Legs

Climbing Boots
Hylian Trousers
Soldier's Greaves
Stealth Tights
Well-Worn Trousers
Tingle's Tights *
Zora Greaves

Dye Colors

Blue, Red, Yellow, White, Black, Purple, Green, Light Blue, Navy, Orange, Peach, Crimson, Light Yellow, Brown, and Gray.

Time for the usual questions.

* What do we do next?
* What should we wear?
* Heart Container or Stamina Vessel?

I'll put up direction and clothing polls up later today if needed and will try to get gameplay recorded tomorrow.

Mega64 fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Jul 25, 2017

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
North along the coast.

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...
What to do... Well, I think we should definitely see about finding that princess. I wonder if she's still grumpy about Link after all this time?

And for god's sake, burn those clothes and wear something more befitting a knight. Armor up. And dye it black.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Serifina posted:

And for god's sake, burn those clothes and wear something more befitting a knight. Armor up. And dye it black.

This, plus Bomb random animal, head in corpse facing direction.

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

Go West

AnAnonymousIdiot
Sep 14, 2013

Full climbing outfit and plan iospace

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Find the Korok Mask and Ancient Mask.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

A random reddit post tells me that the Hylian on Link's house sign says "Master Link", with the tiny print below that saying "Presented by Sakurda Builders". Sakurada is the Japanese name of Bolson.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Full climbing gear and go north along the coast

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Augus posted:

Full climbing gear and go north along the coast
Love that stupid bandana.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

I demand we see our boy Hudson, so go north along the coast since that'll put you in his vicinity

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Carlosologist posted:

I demand we see our boy Hudson, so go north along the coast since that'll put you in his vicinity

Seconded. Also, get rid of those Tingle clothes and never wear them again.

vdate
Oct 25, 2010
I see some armour and I want to dye it black!

Also, yeah, let's head up Akkala way, see what Hudson's stalled out on. Since Robbie's up there too, maybe we can fork over the rest of our Ancient whatsits to him. Maybe he'll upgrade Magnesis and Cryonis for us!

Also, a lot of the Hylian text in this game is recognizably English characters warped a little. The 'Link' on that sign is pretty clear, although 'Master' is definitely harder to get out of it.

vdate fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Jul 15, 2017

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Something black but with Peach trousers. Also yes, do something North. As North as possible and then jump into the sea, assuming there's one up there.

Also your lawn could do with a trim before you go gallivanting off.

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

Props for SSLPing this rather than VLPing it, I'm one of the few who thinks OWEs are more of a chore than any amount of fun, but I was interested in the story. Will read when I get out of my LP reading slump.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Alright! New polls up!

Pick where we go!

Pick what we wear!

Pick our Spirit Orb upgrade!

Reminder that you can vote for multiple choices. I'll probably play sometime tomorrow, so voting will be until then.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

All the votes are pretty decisive and I want to knock out gameplay early today, so let's go ahead and call it.

Lake Akkala it is!

Dark Knight it is!

Two wheels of stamina it is!

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Bolson Construction feels like kind of a weird transplant in some respects, but then again, it's been generations since Calamity Ganon. People haven't really been living in fear of him all this time. Sometimes you can just grow up and have normal construction-man concerns.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Glazius posted:

Bolson Construction feels like kind of a weird transplant in some respects, but then again, it's been generations since Calamity Ganon. People haven't really been living in fear of him all this time. Sometimes you can just grow up and have normal construction-man concerns.
Reminds me of the Black Omen in Chrono Trigger. There's a couple lines from people about how it looks beautiful in the sun today. It's not new or horrifying for them, it's been there as long as anyone can remember, and nothing has ever happened.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

It's been awhile since I've shown a loading screen, so I figure I'd give an update on our stats. Currently we have 3 Spirit Orbs, 49 Korok Seeds, and 53 Rupees. We've found 27 out of 120 shrines. Six hearts and close to two stamina wheels. Also, when you defeat a Divine Beast, it will show said Divine Beast on the loading screen.

You've voted for us to go full Dark Knight! Soldier Gear dyed black.

Like Crimson, very few things give a black dye. Fortunately, one of those things is the very common Flint.

Dyes are kinda washed out in this game, so this isn't incredibly black. Still, close enough to become a dark knight!

Before we begin today's journey, let's check in on the Great Fairy Fountain. We'll restock on fairies and finally upgrade this armor.

Believe it or not, I've had enough Bokoblin Guts for awhile but was short on Chuchu Jelly. Fortunately, there were a ton of Chuchus in Hyrule Field and the big ones drop four or five at a time so I'm more than stocked now.

The Soldier Gear has among the highest defense in the game. There's one other armor set that ties it, and beyond that only the Champion's Tunic has more defense. As a trade-off, the Soldier Gear has no set bonus once upgraded a second time.

Our goal today is to travel north, into the Akkala Region. The plan is to follow Hudson and maybe do a few other neat things there. The northern region of Lanayru is a large mountain ridge, so it's the easiest way to scope out the land and figure out how to progress from there.

First thing that stands out is a shrine.

However, there's also a tower that's somewhat close by. Towers are always first priority since they give some of the best vantage points, a convenient fast travel spot, and a map of the various landmarks.

Surprise, a Korok.

This tower's no picnic. There's a few of the flying Guardian scouts scanning the area.

They're difficult to defeat, but easy to avoid.

Next level holds a black-level Moblin and Bokoblin.

They pose little threat.

I get spotted but simply hiding behind a tree is enough to lose it. These things aren't as smart as the walkers.

Ah, here we are! Now all we have to do is climb this baby and-

Oh.

This is one of the trickiest towers to climb, as we'll see shortly.

There's Bokoblins around the area, but they're no threat. Also a cooking pot, which lets me prep some more food for the journeys ahead.

This eye won't release all the malice.

https://a.mega64.net/botw/u39/032.mp4

But it lets loose a metal pillar we can use as a bridge between platforms. Malice will eat up your health quickly if you stand in it too long.

The trick is that the base of the tower is coated with malice. There's several ways I can think of to scale it, but one involves soaring in from a higher ground, which I'm not sure is possible (maaaaaybe from Death Mountain?), one involves making a flying machine with Magnesis nonsense, which is kinda game-busting, and one involves a power we don't have yet.

So for this one, we're going to do it the way the game probably expects you to.

First, we need to explore the area to get our bearings. And the less distractions, the better.

Enemies don't care about Malice. They already serve Calamity Ganon, why should they care.

Secret passage behind this box.

At this point it starts raining and the temperature drops. This area is pretty high up, enough for a change in weather to require cold resistance.

We find some fire arrows, which Link clearly needs. Luckily I have a warmth potion on hand that will last a good while.

There's a good bit of loot in the area.

After some exploration, we find a lead. The remains of that arc is a high enough platform to bypass the rest of the malice.

I botch the climb, though that's what Mipha's Grace is for.

Anyway, it's time to climb this thing.

...or it would be, if it weren't raining.

I pretty much have to kill time for a few minutes until the rain stops and I can make the climb again.

Rain sucks.

Thankfully the malice serves as a little platform as well so botching the glide to the tower isn't as punishing.

And the rest of the tower is malice-free, so it's an uneventful climb to the top from here.

As a bonus, here's a decayed Guardian!

Welcome to Akkala!

There's quite a few things to see. All roads seem to lead to the northeast corner, where beyond is some weird-looking rectangular region that might be man-made. To the northwest is a skull-shaped lake which must be hiding something good. The eastern area has an interesting spiral section along with a couple islands to the southeast. But most prominent to us right now is that lake to the east, since we heard that Hudson went to Lake Akkala, which...is probably that lake.

But first thing's first. Let's finally get that shrine marked off!

Remember the statue puzzle in Kakariko with the one missing an apple?

Yep.

Also got this nice picture of a wolf.

Another test of strength.

It goes as expected. At this point, the Minor Tests are laughably easy.

Not bad loot, though.

Spirit Orb #4!

There's this area all by itself in the middle of the lake that's just screaming to be investigated.

But that's not the only thing.

To the right a bit, we see a familiar sight...

Also some more fairies. Time to investigate!

Sweet boy...

Not like we have anything better to do.

I am the Great Fairy Mija... This place was once a beautiful spring... But as time passed, fewer and fewer travelers arrived to offer me rupees. As a result, my power has abandoned me. I'm nearly powerless now, so I beg your help. I need rupees to become whole again.

Once my power has been restored, I can help you do great things, boy.

This is the second of the fairy sisters, and while it's quite a step up from the 100 rupees we paid to free her sister, at this point 500 is pretty easy.

...That is, if we didn't just buy a house. And also there's no salespeople nearby, and we're short on on-hand cash. So we'll pass for now.

We'll certainly come back later, though!

Alright, now let's investigate this area.

Music: Tarrey Town

Welcome to Tarrey Town!

This place is...special.

First, a convenient statue to get our fifth Stamina Vessel and our second complete stamina wheel.

For context, if this were a regular Zelda game and we were getting heart pieces instead, we'd be at eleven hearts right now.

There's also a house similar to the ones we saw in the model home area of Hateno.

And there's Hudson!

This place would be deserted if we hadn't bought the house in Hateno. You see, it's recommended to buy the house not because of the house itself, but because it unlocks one of the most involving and rewarding side quests in the game.

We meet again.

Who are you again?

I'm one of the Bolson Construction contractors. The name's Hudson.

I remember!

Me too.

What are you doing?

Since I've been transferred here, I've decided to build a village from scratch.

Good idea!

However...

What's wrong?

I built a house to store the village supplies in, but there just isn't enough...

Enough what?

Enough anything... People... Money... Stuff...

I'll help out!

I don't mind!

You're a lifesaver... Well...I suppose to get started, we'll need houses for people to live in. We can't invite them until we have homes.

If you bring me that, I can combine it with what I've already got and get started on new houses.

Half the parts of this quest are simply gathering wood.

There's enough trees around here that we get to ten wood without having to leave.

I brought them!

I kinda regret not picking the latter option now...

Sure!

You're a lifesaver...

Uh-huh.

These boulders are driving me nuts. I want to move them out of the way so we can develop the land underneath. It'd really help me out if you could find someone with enough brute physical strength to bust them apart.

Physical strength?

Good luck! You'll need it... This seems like a real long shot. Oh, and one last wrinkle...

If you run into anyone that fits with what I've said, send them here to Tarrey Town for me.

Oh boy...a Goron whose name ends in -son. Just where will we find such a Goron? We've only met one Goron so far, and their name didn't end in -son.

Sadly, we'll have to put this quest on the backburner for now.

However, while we're here, we might as well tackle a particular side quest we have in the area! As I mentioned, all roads lead to a certain area in the northeast, and from the looks of our quest tracker it's the Akkala Lab. Robbie's surely got some goodies for us to get our hands on!

I see a destroyed wagon in the lake, but sadly no nearby treasure.

Unless you count dead fish as treasure. And I certainly do.

Oh no.

I don't think we've seen the fire version of Keese yet so...here they are!

Still as vulnerable to bombs as their non-fiery brethren.

This guy has a nasty bow if it penetrated our armor that easily.

Bombs answer all problems.

https://a.mega64.net/botw/u39/149.mp4

The thing's stupid body accidentally drowns to re-death before I punt its stupid skull in the water. For some reason I just love punting the skulls into large bodies of water or off of high cliffs.

Somehow I don't grab this despite being an obvious upgrade to my current bows.

Probably because I was distracted by a blood moon.

Here's where we are currently. So let's head north and-

SHOOTING STAR

One quick-travel to the tower later...

As soon as I get near, it rolls off the mountain. A shame...

But as before, it did lead me to somewhere interesting...

Even though there's nothing interesting with these ruins themselves.

I don't think we've met a Fire Wizzrobe yet. This is the second-tier of that Wizzrobe.

It shoots three fireballs. Scary stuff.

Ice instantly kills it, though.

Our reward is a Meteor Rod, which shoots three fireballs at once. It's...really nice. As a bonus, I'm pretty sure it counts as a Fire Rod for the kid in Hateno.

We're actually on the eastern edge of the Eldin Mountain Range, i.e. the cluster of mountains that Death Mountain is a part of. It has its own specific flora and fauna due to being a volcanic region and all.

A nice view, though we're gonna head to the right.

For it turns out, there's another shrine up ahead.

Igneo Pebblits are protected with magma coatings.

Ice attacks turn them into regular Pebblits that you can just pick up and toss as usual.

And would you look at that. There's a shrine here because it's next to a stable! Talk about convenient!

Next time, we'll investigate the shrine, visit the stable, and explore more of the Akkala region.

Mega64 fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Jul 25, 2017

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Also, one of the hosts I used for the MP4s for older updates has been phased out. I'll get around to replacing those later.

I really need to look into self-hosting those at some point...

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Being a skull whose body went for a swim and never came back must really suck.

Isn't that right, Murray?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

What's the furthest you've punted a skull?

Mega64
May 23, 2008

iospace posted:

What's the furthest you've punted a skull?

Not very far, sadly. You punt the skull a set distance, so the only real way to get more distance is doing it off a gentle slope and watch the skull gentle roll down. It might die before then, but who knows.

...I might want to play with that later.

Antilles
Feb 22, 2008

You should hang around Wizzrobes (maybe only the advanced ones?) long enough for them to show off everything they can do.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Antilles posted:

You should hang around Wizzrobes (maybe only the advanced ones?) long enough for them to show off everything they can do.

I didn't know they did other things, and now I'm worried about finding out what they do...

Update probably won't be until Friday at earliest. On the bright side, I think I've got the self-hosting thing figured out, gonna do a couple updates testing stuff out and if it all works out I'll fix all the stuff in the old updates in a couple weeks or so.

Antilles
Feb 22, 2008

Mega64 posted:

I didn't know they did other things, and now I'm worried about finding out what they do...

Oh, don't worry, it's fun and games for all involved, promise :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Update on next page.

• Locked thread