Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Hollismason posted:

Kapernick's career is probably over as well because of this which is pretty crazy. Of course this may be more to do with him not being that great.

He's still a better player, and person, than Tim Teebow.

The guillotine is too good for people like Guice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
wow, the rats are leaving the ship:

http://www.nationalreview.com/g-file/449516/donald-trump-russia-benefit-doubt-now-gone

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Evil Fluffy posted:

He's still a better player, and person, than Tim Teebow.

The guillotine is too good for people like Guice.

There's no reason to be sadistic about it.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
"Hi I'm captain America congrats on your new citizenship."

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

quote:

“Trust Nothing, Defend Nothing” was my advice.

(I wanted to turn this into a Latin slogan, but when I typed “Trust Nothing, Defend Nothing” into Google’s Latin translation thingamabob I got “Nihil confido, nihil pupillo defendite viduam.” This looked fishy to me so I translated that back into English and got: “I trust there is nothing, there is nothing, for the fatherless, plead for the widow.” This seems either like World War II code for “We’re invading Belgium on Wednesday” or the sign-language subtitles from Charlie Rose’s interview of Paco, the chain-smoking existentialist gorilla).

Okay that's pretty funny

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

NRO is neocon HQ and has always been angry at Trump for being too close to Russia.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

WeAreTheRomans posted:

Since he can't even bother recording a couple lines for his Disney robot, Im not too surprised by anything else being too challenging

Gotta preserve that internal battery.

He would only do it if he could improvise. He refused to read a script.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I'm not sure who this person is, so until I see more and bigger rats leaving the ship, I'm not convinced.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Pollyanna posted:

I'm not sure who this person is, so until I see more and bigger rats leaving the ship, I'm not convinced.

Jonah Goldberg is a long-term NRO front-rank writer, kinda like a younger John Derbyshire.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000W917ZG/ref=dp-kindle-redirect?_encoding=UTF8&btkr=1

edit:

quote:

Goldberg's career as a pundit was launched following his mother Lucianne Goldberg's role in the Clinton–Lewinsky scandal, when he wrote about the "media siege" on his mother's apartment in The New Yorker.[3][4]

Goldberg has spoken of his mother and the Lewinsky scandal:

My mother was the one who advised Linda Tripp to record her conversations with Monica Lewinsky and to save the dress. I was privy to some of that stuff, and when the administration set about to destroy Lewinsky, Tripp, and my mom, I defended my mom and by extension Tripp... I have zero desire to have those arguments again. I did my bit in the trenches of Clinton's trousers.[5]

These tapes became the focal point of the Lewinsky scandal. Goldberg was privy to the tapes and the conversations his mother had with Tripp because he served as a vice president of his mother's now-defunct literary agency.

Goldberg is multi-generational conservative pundit.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Jonah Goldberg is a long-term NRO front-rank writer, kinda like a younger John Derbyshire.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000W917ZG/ref=dp-kindle-redirect?_encoding=UTF8&btkr=1

:catstare: Okay this should be interesting.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Goldberg wrote that idiotic book explaining how liberalism developed out of fascism and also is identical to fascism.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Pollyanna posted:

:catstare: Okay this should be interesting.

GUYS. I FOUND A MAY 2016 ISSUE OF NRO.

I THINK THEY ARE TURNING AGAINST HIM.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Pollyanna posted:

You would think there's a huge opportunity here for some "principled" GOP Senator to actually like flip parties and try to get on the "right side of history" but lmao if you expect any of them to be principled in any way.

E: Like, you just know that the Dems would loving welcome the first one to do this with like a ticker tape parade. "Oh my god, we converted one!" it's the neoliberal dream.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

They still like feckless whataboutism and would have preferred if Trump actually knew how to lie properly. The Rat's just moving to the bottom of the boat and hoping it floats upside down.

FUCK SNEEP
Apr 21, 2007

business hammocks posted:

He would only do it if he could improvise. He refused to read a script.

That article was retracted

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

Shadow-Dictator Barack Hussein Obama recruiting army of ISIS-trained immigrants; this smoking gun will shock you!

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

gently caress SNEEP posted:

That article was retracted

Why would the imagineers lie?

silly mane
Nov 26, 2004

Crabtree posted:

They still like feckless whataboutism and would have preferred if Trump actually knew how to lie properly.

It pretty much says exactly this in the article. A few paragraphs in:

quote:

But the lying really isn’t the problem. Sometimes the Trump team tells the truth. Sometimes it buries the kernels of truth in the larger nougat of B.S. The problem is that Trump and his people can’t stay on message, whether it’s true or false. President Trump just doesn’t care if he makes his surrogates, including members of his cabinet and family, look like chumps.

"Lying is fine but he's stupid as gently caress about it and THAT'S what's bad!"

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
"The problem is that Trump and his people can’t stay on message, whether it’s true or false" lmao christ these people

FUCK SNEEP
Apr 21, 2007

business hammocks posted:

Why would the imagineers lie?

The issue is that it was poorly/falsely sourced, not that any Imagineers lied :)

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum

silly mane posted:

It pretty much says exactly this in the article. A few paragraphs in:

"Lying is fine but he's stupid as gently caress about it and THAT'S what's bad!"

It reads more like "Lying is okay but he doesn't commit to the lie and makes his followers continue to look dumber than he is for going the distance with the previous tangent before he drops it!". Which is just thoroughly amazing that he's hungry to go after Clinton for something she clearly has to have done because of his hate for her no matter how many republicans get burned for turning up nothing they can crucify her for, but uh, Trump shouldn't be just leaving Rs to die because what if its me!

They can see a problem, but they don't want to see how and why they both got there and are sinking into the Russian quicksand.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

WampaLord posted:

You would think there's a huge opportunity here for some "principled" GOP Senator to actually like flip parties and try to get on the "right side of history" but lmao if you expect any of them to be principled in any way.

E: Like, you just know that the Dems would loving welcome the first one to do this with like a ticker tape parade. "Oh my god, we converted one!" it's the neoliberal dream.

all GOP senators with the vauge and mostly for show exception of Collins are stupendously conservative and care way more about that than principle it's just some have a very tenuous connection to what is too evil to pass muster with voters which the media interprets as a semblance of morality

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

GUYS. I FOUND A MAY 2016 ISSUE OF NRO.

I THINK THEY ARE TURNING AGAINST HIM.

Fair and expected point, but they all got back on board after he got the nomination, so this is new.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Fair and expected point, but they all got back on board after he got the nomination, so this is new.

I think Goldberg was never pro trump just anti-anti-trump

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
like a third of the comments on this tweet about the wapo artice about the russian compound are people announcing that the pee tape is real

this is going to be a mainstream thing in like a month or two, assuming it isn't released outright

https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status/886253120736702465

journalists on cnn are going to have to acknowledge that there is a tape of the president watching two women urinate on a mattress, and it is being used to blackmail our president into doing things

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
Every time you believe in the pee tape and say it is real, the footage is brought closer into this reality.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Magic Hate Ball posted:

"The problem is that Trump and his people can’t stay on message, whether it’s true or false" lmao christ these people

ABsolutely. But I think this kind of article is how the turn towards actual impeachment happens. Jonah Goldberg is exactly the sort of diehard multi-generational, red diaper baby conservative of the remaining Trump base. He has to lose even these assholes for impeachment to happen. The telling line here is

"All of this said, I don’t think we are anywhere near impeachment,"

with its hovering, unspoken "yet."

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
The idea that the GOP and right wing voters have a line beyond which they will not support Trump is a fantasy. It was a fantasy during the election process, it's a fantasy now. From the beginning of his campaign it's been one horrible event after another, sometimes more than one per day, his polls are lousy, he's at war with the media... and not one Republican has abandoned him. Not one has gone on TV and said "I will not vote for anything he wants because he's morally and ethically bankrupt."

You guys are dreaming.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Trump wasn't even doing anything in the tape. He was just watching. This wasn't even a sex act, it was like a modern art performance. If you seriously have a problem with it, I don't know how you have John "spirit cooking" Podesta in your party, that's ten times worse. You think pee is some kind of sex thing, what are you some kind of pervert?

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Crabtree posted:

Every time you believe in the pee tape and say it is real, the footage is brought closer into this reality.

I hope the tape is real, and I hope it's narrated by Pinhead and his fellow cenobytes

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

gently caress SNEEP posted:

The issue is that it was poorly/falsely sourced, not that any Imagineers lied :)

also, when you're dealing with Disney, an entity that has more lawyers than most of us have drops of blood in our bodies, you need to be 110%.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Dick Trauma posted:

The idea that the GOP and right wing voters have a line beyond which they will not support Trump is a fantasy. It was a fantasy during the election process, it's a fantasy now. From the beginning of his campaign it's been one horrible event after another, sometimes more than one per day, his polls are lousy, he's at war with the media... and not one Republican has abandoned him. Not one has gone on TV and said "I will not vote for anything he wants because he's morally and ethically bankrupt."

You guys are dreaming.

That's true too!

There's no hard line.

There is, however, an outside chance that over time more and more conservatives will realize that Trump is useless to them, and jump ship, one by one. Eventually if enough jump ship, then there's a chance they won't get in the way as others push impeachment or the 25th. Nixon didn't resign because of Democrats; he resigned because he lost the active support of Republicans. The same thing happening again is a sine qua non of any impeachment or 25th amendment removal of Trump

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
it's pretty amazing that the announcement of an actual meeting with russians hasn't tanked his approval even further, and these polls seem to be post-tuesday-announcement - correct me if im wrong

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/trump-approval-ratings/?ex_cid=rrpromo

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

quote:

Republicans Confident Senator Dean Heller Will Be ‘Bought Off,’ Pass Trumpcare with 50 Votes in Senate and Return Issue to House

When the Senate Republican leadership unveiled its latest plan to roll back Obamacare, senators Rand Paul and Susan Collins quickly announced opposition. With the two free passes to vote no claimed, the next Republican to oppose the bill would deny it a majority. That Republican would apparently be Nevada’s Dean Heller, who had denounced in unequivocal terms the plan’s enormous Medicaid cuts, which are unchanged in the latest bill. But Heller has remained curiously silent.

Ominously, Mike Allen reports, “Republicans keep telling me Sen. Dean Heller of Nevada, a third apparent ‘nay,’ will be ‘bought off.’”

One of the key dynamics of this legislative saga is that Republican objections to the bill, however strong or unambiguous, tend to melt away in the face of partisan pressure. Senator Bill Cassidy had once articulated the strongest opposition to Trumpcare, arguing that coverage gains in Obamacare should actually be expanded rather than rolled back. Cassidy endorsed the “Jimmy Kimmel test,” saying he would not support any bill that makes medical care unaffordable for an American with preexisting conditions. His new version of the Kimmel Test seems to be that he will not vote for anything unless it satisfies the following conditions: (1) It is a piece of legislation (2) that Republicans want to pass.

Meanwhile, even as of a few days ago, reports indicated that an outright majority of Republican senators rejected Ted Cruz’s amendment to allow insurers to sell plans that don’t protect preexisting conditions. Now that resistance is “melting away,” reports Caitlin Owens, because, as a GOP aide tells her, “No one wants to be bad guy.” (You might think “bad guy” means a person who denies medical care to sick people, but in this context, it indicates precisely the opposite.)

That leaves Heller up next. “This bill would mean a loss of coverage for millions of Americans, and many Nevadans. I’m telling you right now, I cannot support a piece of legislation that takes insurance away from tens of millions of Americans, and hundreds of thousands of Nevadans,” he said in June. That statement leaves no room for ambiguity, no need for reading the fine points of the revised bill. And yet Heller is silent and Republicans are cackling about buying him off, so the bill seems to be very much alive at the moment. Heller has indicated to Republican leadership that healthcare needs to be handled delicately.

As the most vulnerable Republican up for election in 2018, Heller has privately said that he believes that not passing any bill will be more damaging to his prospects than passing an unpopular bill. He's asked House leaders and Senate Majority Leader McConnell (R-KY) to craft a bill that delays or dulls aspects of the bill that would be ripe for attack ads in 2018.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Jul 15, 2017

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

gently caress :( will it pass the house?

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

I appreciate Jonah Goldberg's calling for Republicans to stop "whataboutism" and leaves the door open for "when Democrats will inevitably do the same thing when it's their turn" like there's anything even remotely in-the-cards for the Democratic Party like colluding with an antagonistic foreign government

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

That's true too!

There's no hard line.

There is, however, an outside chance that over time more and more conservatives will realize that Trump is useless to them, and jump ship, one by one. Eventually if enough jump ship, then there's a chance they won't get in the way as others push impeachment or the 25th. Nixon didn't resign because of Democrats; he resigned because he lost the active support of Republicans. The same thing happening again is a sine qua non of any impeachment or 25th amendment removal of Trump

And why did Nixon lose that support? Because the Republicans thought they would lose power if they stood with him. The GOP has seen that no matter how toxic Trump has become they haven't lost any power. If anything they've consolidated it as they drive professionals out of the government and close ranks with the billionaires that got them into congress.

This is about power, and only power. They've weathered every scandal and are only becoming stronger as they add Trump-like people to their fold, like Gianforte. They've proven that fascism has appeal to the right wing of America. Why would they change course when it's working so well for them?

Mueller means nothing as long as the GOP controls the government at every level.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

Dapper_Swindler posted:

gently caress :( will it pass the house?

Almost instantly. They want it to be done.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer

pillsburysoldier posted:

I appreciate Jonah Goldberg's calling for Republicans to stop "whataboutism" and leaves the door open for "when Democrats will inevitably do the same thing when it's their turn" like there's anything even remotely in-the-cards for the Democratic Party like colluding with an antagonistic foreign government

this is the worst timeline so it will definitely happen eventually

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Trump wasn't even doing anything in the tape. He was just watching. This wasn't even a sex act, it was like a modern art performance. If you seriously have a problem with it, I don't know how you have John "spirit cooking" Podesta in your party, that's ten times worse. You think pee is some kind of sex thing, what are you some kind of pervert?

There's nothing inherently wrong with a pee fetish, it's just funny to think about the chaos that would ensue if the pee tape was real and leaked.

• Locked thread