Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
Those people will either desperately migrate to dense urban squalor in coming decades, or just outright die unless they adapt their lifestyle to one of extreme self-sufficiency, so worrying about transit changes isn't a big deal.

Rather than trying to get a couple hundred million obese elderly cripples to ride a bike to work, we can just wait for them to starve to death in the coming return to extreme resource scarcity. :downs:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StabbinHobo
Oct 18, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

freebooter posted:

I know it's better if people cycle/bus/train to work, but people who think that's any kind of blanket solution always forget the hundreds of millions of people who live in rural areas, plus freight deliveries.

no we don't at all read the thread

BattleMoose
Jun 16, 2010
I used to cycle to work, would take about 40 minutes and really enjoyed it. It was free, exercise and actually felt super energized when I got to work. Its also a lot quicker than public transport.

But then I had a very minor accident with a car. (It failed to yield) And just reflected on how actually really abusive Australia is to cyclists. Like, being abusive on purpose. The biggest issue with cycling is cars. And motorists who are abusive and violent to cyclists. The Australian public as a whole, literally do not want people to cycle (or enough of them to make it horribly unpleasant and dangerous). gently caress em.

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

Its the same in the US, bikes aren't allowed on sidewalks and bike lanes are rare (I believe I saw 3 total in my city of 100k people). Driving a bike here is having a death wish.

Telephones
Apr 28, 2013
How can I personally accelerate climate change?

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Telephones posted:

Start a tire recycling company.

Pile all the tires up and light them on fire.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Rime posted:

Those people will either desperately migrate to dense urban squalor in coming decades, or just outright die unless they adapt their lifestyle to one of extreme self-sufficiency, so worrying about transit changes isn't a big deal.

Rather than trying to get a couple hundred million obese elderly cripples to ride a bike to work, we can just wait for them to starve to death in the coming return to extreme resource scarcity. :downs:

Alternatively, millions will die so that wealthy suburbanites will not have to adapt

StabbinHobo
Oct 18, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Telephones posted:

#1 worst thing you can do is be a "world traveler" with lots of stamps in your passport

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
What if I'm walking the earth across the borders? Like the guy from Kung Fu

Telephones posted:

Work for a resource extraction corporation

smoke sumthin bitch
Dec 14, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

BattleMoose posted:

I used to cycle to work, would take about 40 minutes and really enjoyed it. It was free, exercise and actually felt super energized when I got to work. Its also a lot quicker than public transport.

But then I had a very minor accident with a car. (It failed to yield) And just reflected on how actually really abusive Australia is to cyclists. Like, being abusive on purpose. The biggest issue with cycling is cars. And motorists who are abusive and violent to cyclists. The Australian public as a whole, literally do not want people to cycle (or enough of them to make it horribly unpleasant and dangerous). gently caress em.

I never understood the hate for cyclists. Bicycles are a private mean of transportation that has like no cost to society. The real enemy is public transport in which governments funnel insane amounts of taxpayer money and build all kinds of exclusive lanes and bridges where cars are banned. I think most of the bike haters are actually pissed off at the war on cars and are misdirecting that anger towards innocent cyclists who are often too poor to buy a vehicle.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

Telephones posted:

Start a home business to pretext buying gases with higher global warming potential than CO2, like sulfur hexafluoride.

One kg of SF6 is equivalent to 22,800 kg of CO2 on a 100-year timescale.

Sigma-Aldrich sells SF6 at $412.50 per 227 grams, or, ~$1.82 per 1 gram.

For ~$2/day, you can increase your annual carbon footprint by 91.6 Tons of CO2-Equivalent (TCE)!

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

War on cars huh

smoke sumthin bitch
Dec 14, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Arglebargle III posted:

War on cars huh

aka agenda 21 aka agenda 2030 aka eco-authoritarianism in general

TheCoach
Mar 11, 2014
Man your avatar sure is perfect for you. Makes it real easy for people to know which posts to just skip.

Burt Buckle
Sep 1, 2011

StabbinHobo posted:

#1 worst thing you can do is be a "world traveler" with lots of stamps in your passport

Aaah man I just started traveling to other countries within the past year.

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!

smoke sumthin bitch posted:

aka agenda 21 aka agenda 2030 aka eco-authoritarianism in general

Is this the thing where we're all forced to ride generator bikes in communes and can't choose who we have kids with? I read that book, didn't seem a half bad idea.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Burt Buckle posted:

Just use cars, trains and boats. Also, give up on ever seeing different continents I guess.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Telephones posted:

Become a property developer and buy and fill in wetlands and other dense biomass areas to convert to new suburbs. Make sure all the homes are poorly-insulated.

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

PROUD 2 B AMERICAN (these colors don't run)

Star Man posted:

I can't think of a single job in the world that's worth spending a four-hour round trip to get to by any means of transportation. I'd rather just live close to it.

oh I didn't need the job, I already had well paying remote freelance, I could easily have worked from my house in my underwear. I personally am very social, like feeling that I contribute more to the game than just my 3d assets, and have always enjoyed long distance biking, foregoing a license stateside til 21 (practically unheard of for those with the means to get one).

Am I relatively rare in this case? sure, but my point was that we could get a lot more people pursuing better environmental options with better bike paths, electric vehicle incentives, city planning, trax credits, etc.

All I'm saying, is that there is a big gulf between "everyone is forced to unicycle by gunpoint for transportation* and *how americans use cars*

brakeless
Apr 11, 2011

Telephones posted:

Get a plane and learn to fly it, fly over the Amazon and boreal forests and drop homemade napalm into them.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

Telephones posted:

Have children.

Also lobby against abortion, contraception and sex ed.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Put a dehydrator and a humidifier in the same room of your house.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Telephones posted:

Start raising cows.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

Conspiratiorist posted:

Have children.

Also lobby against abortion, contraception and sex ed.

MiddleOne posted:

Start raising cows.

I think these two ideas can be combined.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Raise children to help you raise more cows.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Make sure you swear and honk at any cyclist you see to maintain a culture of fear among them.

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013
Commit arson in forests with peaty soils, like in Indonesia.

TheBlackVegetable
Oct 29, 2006

Burt Buckle posted:

Don't worry, that plane was flying whether you were on it or not. The invisible hand of the market ensures that polluting industries will always find enough government subsidies to fill in any gaps made by people seeking to save the planet through their own personal carbon footprint.

The best way we can all ensure climate change continues at an exponential rate is pretend our personal contributions and reductions are in any way meaningful, and agonize over flying and eating beef and otherwise doing nothing.

Personally, I'm just going to enjoy it all while it lasts.

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

If you're really concerned about the impact of your personal air travel on the climate, the next time you fly pack some sulfate aerosols in your carry-on bag and slowly release them after takeoff.

If feels good to finally provide some practical individual solutions to climate change.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Nocturtle posted:

If you're really concerned about the impact of your personal air travel on the climate, the next time you fly pack some sulfate aerosols in your carry-on bag and slowly release them after takeoff.

If feels good to finally provide some practical individual solutions to climate change.

*beep beep*

"Please step this way sir. Can you explain what this is in your bag?"

"Ah yes that is a canister of sulfate aerosols that I'm going to slowly release on the plane. You see, " *is detained*

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

The climate mitigation gap: education and government recommendations miss the most effective individual actions

quote:

Current anthropogenic climate change is the result of greenhouse gas accumulation in the atmosphere, which records the aggregation of billions of individual decisions. Here we consider a broad range of individual lifestyle choices and calculate their potential to reduce greenhouse gas emissions in developed countries, based on 148 scenarios from 39 sources. We recommend four widely applicable high-impact (i.e. low emissions) actions with the potential to contribute to systemic change and substantially reduce annual personal emissions: having one fewer child (an average for developed countries of 58.6 tonnes CO2-equivalent (tCO2e) emission reductions per year), living car-free (2.4 tCO2e saved per year), avoiding airplane travel (1.6 tCO2e saved per roundtrip transatlantic flight) and eating a plant-based diet (0.8 tCO2e saved per year). These actions have much greater potential to reduce emissions than commonly promoted strategies like comprehensive recycling (four times less effective than a plant-based diet) or changing household lightbulbs (eight times less).

A comparison of the emissions reductions from various individual actions. The height of the bar represents the mean of all studies identified in developed nations, while black lines indicate mean values for selected countries or regions (identified by ISO codes) where data were available from specific studies. We have classified actions as high (green), moderate (blue), and low (yellow) impact in terms of greenhouse gas emissions reductions. Note the break in the y-axis.
Thought this was fairly interesting with regards to personal mitigation / lifestyle changes. Having fewer children is an order of magnitude more impactful on carbon emissions than any other single action.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
Why does buying green energy in the UK have such a pathetic impact?

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

From the paper:

quote:

For green energy, researchers have described problems with double-counting in several European countries (Hast et al 2015), as seen in the near-zero emission reductions for Great Britain
The Hast 2015 paper claims that in the UK, buying green energy doesn't actually mean your supplier shifts towards green sources. They just allocate green energy they were producing anyway to your tariff.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

I believe that has to do with the way green energy offsets are counted by the UK. So you buying green energy doesn't actually mean net green energy use.

Efb

Burt Buckle
Sep 1, 2011

TACD posted:

The climate mitigation gap: education and government recommendations miss the most effective individual actions
Thought this was fairly interesting with regards to personal mitigation / lifestyle changes. Having fewer children is an order of magnitude more impactful on carbon emissions than any other single action.

Am I reading that article right when I take it to say that 1.5 transatlantic round-trip flights is equal to a year of car emissions?

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Burt Buckle posted:

Am I reading that article right when I take it to say that 1.5 transatlantic round-trip flights is equal to a year of car emissions?

The multiplier for spreading your emissions directly into the upper atomosphere is a bitch.

Edit: content - http://pubs.acs.org/doi/abs/10.1021/es9039693

quote:

Air travel results in a lower temperature change per passenger-kilometer than car travel on the long run; the integrated radiative forcing of air travel is on short- to medium time horizons much higher than for car travel. Per passenger-hour traveled however, aviation’s climate impact is a factor 6 to 47 higher than the impact from car travel.

Trabisnikof fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Jul 16, 2017

Evil_Greven
Feb 20, 2007

Whadda I got to,
whadda I got to do
to wake ya up?

To shake ya up,
to break the structure up!?
So if you absolutely have to be somewhere a good distance away... you're better off flying?

Huh. I feel less guilty now.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Evil_Greven posted:

So if you absolutely have to be somewhere a good distance away... you're better off flying?

Huh. I feel less guilty now.

Not at all. You'll just cause more short term harm and slightly less long term harm.

Burt Buckle
Sep 1, 2011

Actually just doing the rough math I suppose one transatlantic round trip is in fact about the same distance as the average American's commute to work in a year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StabbinHobo
Oct 18, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
yea thats the thing about flying. yes its more efficient per passenger mile, but it reeeeaallly racks up the miles.